Saints interested in Paulo Dybala says the Mirror

TopGun

Interesting.

Also in there:

"ARTUR BORUC has returned to parent club Southampton from his loan spell at Championship Bournemouth for a scan on an injured knee.

The Polish goalkeeper sustained a knock during the Cherries' record breaking 8-0 win over Birmingham at the weekend. Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe said: "We hope it's not too serious because he has been fantastic for us."

The new Aguero?

This reminds me of the good old days when we had the new Arjan Robben, the Latvian Michael Owen, the Swedish David Beckham and the Irish Rory Delap.

I believe we've had a few "new" Michael Owens as Mark Paul was touted as such when he signed iirc.

hmm

not sure what hernandez cost hull, and I know last season dybala was only 19 but palermo were only in serie b, and i'm pretty sure in most games lafferty and hernandez were the preferred strikers...

i reckon 4.2 million would be about right . 42 million though.... well pelle is wort 95 million euro then i guess

This is typical of the way that Italian clubs market their players in the Italian Media, who swallow it hook, line and sinker, or who are bribed by the clubs to print such rubbish, or in the case of the top club in Sicily, threatened by the Mafia to do so.

So this kid, who hasn't yet played for the Argentinian National team, is valued by the Palermo club president at 42 million euros and he says that it would take an Oil Billionaire Arab to buy him. Yes, somebody with far more money than sense, I think he means.I presume he arrives at this valuation based on his scintillating scoring record, a massive 11 goals in 63 appearances, over three years at Palermo. The young scamp is setting Italian football alight with his three goals so far this season, two of them coming in one match. Well, Mr President, Southampton has three players with three goals in 10 matches and they are all midfielders, (Schneiderlin, Wanyama and Cork, albeit one of Cork's goals was in the League Cup) Are they therefore worth 42 million Euros too?

But of course, this kid isn't worth anything like that, is he? Call him the new Aguero, or indeed the new any other top player, suggest that he will only be sold for a vastly inflated price and see if there are any suckers out there with more money than sense. Even if somebody offers half of that, it is still more than double what he is worth.

Chelski might take a punt on him and then farm him out to a lesser club for a few seasons to see what becomes of him. Otherwise, he would have been a good fit at Spurs with their Argentinian manager, but a year to late, now the Bale money has gone. Liverpool are a club prepared to pay way over the odds for mediocrity, so had Palermo suggested that he was the next Suarez, they might have been tempted.

But quite how the Italian media thought for one moment that Southampton might consider blowing such a large sum on a largely unproven kid, is quite beyond me, especially as we had hardly had any success with Ramirez or Osvaldo from Italian clubs and they cost us a fraction of this kid's price.

This is typical of the way that Italian clubs market their players in the Italian Media, who swallow it hook, line and sinker, or who are bribed by the clubs to print such rubbish, or in the case of the top club in Sicily, threatened by the Mafia to do so.

So this kid, who hasn't yet played for the Argentinian National team, is valued by the Palermo club president at 42 million euros and he says that it would take an Oil Billionaire Arab to buy him. Yes, somebody with far more money than sense, I think he means.I presume he arrives at this valuation based on his scintillating scoring record, a massive 11 goals in 63 appearances, over three years at Palermo. The young scamp is setting Italian football alight with his three goals so far this season, two of them coming in one match. Well, Mr President, Southampton has three players with three goals in 10 matches and they are all midfielders, (Schneiderlin, Wanyama and Cork, albeit one of Cork's goals was in the League Cup) Are they therefore worth 42 million Euros too?

But of course, this kid isn't worth anything like that, is he? Call him the new Aguero, or indeed the new any other top player, suggest that he will only be sold for a vastly inflated price and see if there are any suckers out there with more money than sense. Even if somebody offers half of that, it is still more than double what he is worth.

Chelski might take a punt on him and then farm him out to a lesser club for a few seasons to see what becomes of him. Otherwise, he would have been a good fit at Spurs with their Argentinian manager, but a year to late, now the Bale money has gone. Liverpool are a club prepared to pay way over the odds for mediocrity, so had Palermo suggested that he was the next Suarez, they might have been tempted.

But quite how the Italian media thought for one moment that Southampton might consider blowing such a large sum on a largely unproven kid, is quite beyond me, especially as we had hardly had any success with Ramirez or Osvaldo from Italian clubs and they cost us a fraction of this kid's price.

Perhaps they don't actually want to sell him at all, and have suggested a valuation which reflects that. Its pretty much what we did with lallana, chambers and lovren.

Well, as Palermo seemed to have spent a wholly unrealistic £10.5m on him when he was 18, I can't imagine that they would want to sell for less than that. But €42m is them either saying no point blank, or (and more likely) the more typical attempts to raise the price.

The new Aguero?

This reminds me of the good old days when we had the new Arjan Robben, the Latvian Michael Owen, the Swedish David Beckham and the Irish Rory Delap.

oh yes, Lee Holmes, the new Arjan Robben!! I remember that well. He was so **** Derby gave us him for free!!

we've come such a long way...

Perhaps they don't actually want to sell him at all, and have suggested a valuation which reflects that. Its pretty much what we did with lallana, chambers and lovren.

We bunged on a price of £20/£25 million for players proven in the Premier League and even the kid of our bunch, Shaw, only commanded £30 million. All they had to do, was to say that he was not for sale at any price if they wanted to keep him. Quoting a price at that level just makes their club president look like a moronic idiot.

Koeman denies that we were ever interested in Dybala. Personally I'm inclined to believe what Ronald says over some Italian journos, who have similar form over things like this to our own Red Tops.

The player being Argentinian, I think it's possible that they got confused with Pochettino and haven't yet caught up with the fact that he is no longer here.

• 3 weeks later...
We won't beat United and Arsenal to his signature, and £31m seems a bit out of our price bracket. Maybe he would come here on a loan to show off his skills to the big teams though.
If Phil Neville is recommending him we should probably stay clear. Can't see Man Utd or Arsenal be looking to prioritise a striker. And he won't be going for £30m anyway.

Dybala has all the hallmarks of a great striker. He's young and still finding his consistency but he'll be a top player - though definitely not in the same bracket as Ronaldo or Messi. He'll go for that much eventually, but not this season. Shame if we don't have a dabble cos he'd fit our system... Not just a striker but a good all round team player.

And yes... He does share similar attributes to Aguero! He took a little time to settle and get going but Dybala will defo become a natural goalscorer in time.

It does seem like we're being linked to a few players with the same characteristics; young forwards, pacey, not fully proven yet, buying clear potential the club has identified; Dybala, Corona, Redmond. Could be coincidence, could be agents using us as a good place to link players, and I realise they're not all exactly the same type of player, but it does look that this is our current target for strengthening the squad.

I think a lot of journos' surely create a story in the same way some fans play.... " FIFA Manager "....'

....ah, now he looks like a good player..

.....really where does he play?..

.....he's a striker..

oh yes.. which Prem.side needs another striker...what about Saints?

subsequent ARTICLE then reads; Saints want to sign " wonder striker " ...yeah , yeah blah blah..

Koeman is very candid in his answers to questions .....and I'd prefer to listen to his comments rather than a journo's "space-filling" fairy stories..

Maybe he is good, but that doesn't mean we're looking to sign him...and everyone else the newspapers " ITK" tip every day..

In this case, the most important thing is his mindset, and then ask ...is he " a Saints' fit ?" (recalling that Taider just didn't " fit " into the scheme of things).

Surely Saints must have learnt a lesson from the Ramirez and Osvaldo transfers...or?...

Edited by david in sweden

I think a lot of journos' surely create a story in the same way some fans play.... " FIFA Manager "....'

....ah, now he looks like a good player..

.....really where does he play?..

.....he's a striker..

oh yes.. which Prem.side needs another striker...what about Saints?

subsequent ARTICLE then reads; Saints want to sign " wonder striker " ...yeah , yeah blah blah..

Koeman is very candid in his answers to questions .....and I'd prefer to listen to his comments rather than a journo's "space-filling" fairy stories..

Maybe he is good, but that doesn't mean we're looking to sign him...and everyone else the newspapers " ITK" tip every day..

In this case, the most important thing is his mindset, and then ask ...is he " a Saints' fit ?" (recalling that Taider just didn't " fit " into the scheme of things).

Surely Saints must have learnt a lesson from the Ramirez and Osvaldo transfers...or?...

Dybala-cal doings of the media.

Ahh, I suppose that one's a little ham handed.

• 2 weeks later...