Palace FA Cup Round 4 build up

Shroppie

Can't see one, so here goes.

Wouldn't expect much change from the Newcastle team. Maybe Long for Tadic, just possibly bringing in Targett in a 3 5 2?

Even if any of the invalids recover, can't see them being risked.

Won't be an easy game.

I don't get to every game but I've got a pact with a Palace supporting friend that we'll go to all the Saints Palace matches (started when we were both in the Championship). Since then the league results have been H 2-0, A 2-0, H 2-0, A 1-0, A 3-1. They haven't beaten us in the league for years and their only goal against us in the last five games was when we were 3-0 up already. Every game has been pretty comfortable for us. Think we're a bit of a bogey team for them.

Admittedly we did lose in the league cup during that time but it was pretty much a reserve team game when we were both in the Championship. We've got a much stronger squad now. Can see them resting players too.

------------------------Davis-----------------------

McCarthy--- Font---Gardos---Targett

--------------Reed-------------Cork------------

-------------------------JWP---------------------

Long-----------------Pelle----------------Elia

Bench: FF, Clyne, Bertrand, Davis, Isgrove, McQueen, Seager

I'd give Tadic the week off. I'm convinced he's playing within himself and something's still not right physically.

------------------------Davis-----------------------

McCarthy--- Font---Gardos---Targett

--------------Reed-------------Cork------------

-------------------------JWP---------------------

Long-----------------Pelle----------------Elia

Bench: FF, Clyne, Bertrand, Davis, Isgrove, McQueen, Seager

I'd give Tadic the week off. I'm convinced he's playing within himself and something's still not right physically.

Would also go with that but maybe put Tadic in for Pelle and Long up front.

Elia isn't eligible.

Or maybe he is was it just Ipswich.

He couldn't play against Ipswich at St Mary's because he wasn't registered in time for the game because of how the transfer window and FA Cup weekend fell this year in terms of dates. If you aren't registered for the original FA Cup match then you can't play in the replay.

Elia is able to play vs Crystal Palace in the 4th round.

He couldn't play against Ipswich at St Mary's because he wasn't registered in time for the game because of how the transfer window and FA Cup weekend fell this year. in terms of dates. If you aren't registered for the original FA Cup match then you can't play in the replay.

Elia is able to play vs Crystal Palace in the 4th round.

Brill.

If Warnock was still in charge I'd be pretty confident of getting the result however Pardew is getting Palace playing decent football again and I expect him to put out a strong team to try and get a morale boosting win.

Still think we can win it but we might need a bit more attacking endeavour than we showed against Ipswich.

Why Ipswich did and it's better opposition and a round further.

Ipswich took all of the Northam End, 5000 tickets, and Palace didn't even ask for their full entitlement of 3200 I believe.

Chance for Newbies (Glory Hunters LOL) to see a new team? Saving money for a glamour game next round? Who knows?

At those prices though it should sell out.

After a full week of training Cork will start. Reed will start. Davis is critical to the way we play. JWP must play for his set pieces and hard work. Targett should start and give Bertrand a rest as he's carrying a few knocks. Long will be impact sub again.

So here goes:

Forster

Clyne, Fonte, Gardos, Targett

Davis, Cork

JWP, Reed, Elia

Pelle

Tadic moans too much, slows the pace of our play and probably needs a rest on the bench

This is a difficult one to call......In over 40 years of supporting Saints i am for the first time starting to believe we could be a top 4 club. This squad of players believe it is achieveable and are working incredibly hard for one another. We are doing what the top clubs do, play brilliantly at times and still grind out results when our backs are against it.

My biggest concern is the same as alot on here....the depth of our squad for the run in. You can bet we will need to at least keep up with our current form to keep top 4 and to do that i believe we need our best players....those that have stood in have done a fantastic job.

For theses reasons for the Palace game i would be sorely tempted to rest players like Pelle, Fonte, Clyne, Bertrand. I'm sorry if i appear selfish because i have seen Saints lift the F A Cup, but i honestly think Champions League qualification and everything it would bring to Southampton is more important than the F.A.Cup in todays football.

Tough call. I'm a "go for the cups" man, but the squad is a bit broken at the moment.

If anyone is only 85% fit, I'd probably rest them, but with that rider aside I'd put out a strong team.

Cork should definitely start. I wonder if Tadic/Davis get a rest?

He really isn't. JWP already a significantly better player.

Who said anything about being better? They both bring different qualities to the team. Davis is a leader and motivator. He is also a very unsung, yet hugely important team player.

There is a place for both in the team.

Please notice though when Davis doesn't play how the ball movement slows.