Toby

washsaint

As close to. ''Morgan set for Utd medical'' ''Transfer to be done this week'' ''Fee agreed between clubs''

This part of the transfer window is the most tedious, as there's very little else going on, this gets all the attention and every single bit of info that is leaked is magnified. Bring on August.

And they have been saying Toby is set for Spurs have they not?

Now saying done deal.

Link to where it says done deal?

Just going off what someone posted on here. Did not mean it as fact.

Just says atletico agree £11.5m fee with Spurs and we will have to match it: be criminal if we wouldn't

I am still pretty confident we will get him.

Edited by Batman

Worrying now. Last summer we only lost one primary defender. This summer we are about to lose 2 and our principle defensive midfielder. BOTH TO RIVALS. That said- Toby's not gone yet!

I hope we have a plan. Shame we haven't yet reached the boardroom mentality of buying who we want first then selling on. But we shall see what happens. At the moment it's feeling like last summer again. One bad news story after another.

Still, keep the faith. After getting lucky last summer I am prepared to give Ralf and Les the benefit of the doubt. After all you create your own luck... Let's see what we can bring in. COYRs!

(at least we have a real kit this season!) :)

Jesus wept.

So around £11.4m take off the £1.5 they paid us and we pay £9.9m

Get it done

The euro was 11% stronger this time last year, €1.26 as opposed €1.40 and this can often lead to people upping prices (at least in my line of things)

Jesus h Christ on a crutch the bed wetting is epic on Twitter.

Which part of 'Southampton FC don't talk about transfer business' do people not understand?

Other clubs can say what they like in the media, Saints just get on with it and won't talk no matter how many times they are asked. Don't believe ANYTHING until the player is at someone's ground holding up their shirt. Why waste your energy on it?

Here's my theory; FMH (From My Head), not ITK.

- Athleti know they have a player worth than the purchase price.

- The Tottenham Monk equivalent says they are not in for Toby (and they're not exactly short in CM so you can see why).

- Daniel Levy is playing the stooge for Athleti so they can bid up their price (probably as part of Spur's interest in the Athleti DM Suarez). It would be interesting to see if Spurs / AM have previous dealing history.

- It's a win for Athleti (they get more cash), it's a win for Spurs (they deprive a rival of X million).... sadly a loss for us (but probably better reflects TA's market value).

A confident poker player would say 'sod it' and call the bluff and stiff both of them..... The question is: Are you feeling lucky, Monk?

If we've let Toby slip through our fingers for the amount of money being discussed in the media, I will start to wonder about our board again. Maybe they've got a bit overconfident.

Okay... lets try to pick this apart... :rolleyes:

I will start to wonder about our board again.

Wonder what about the board? Did last summer not show to you they know what they are doing?

Maybe they've got a bit overconfident.

Over confident about what?

If we've let Toby slip through our fingers for the amount of money being discussed in the media.

Even if we have an offer accepted, it is then for the player to decide and Spurs can offer higher wages than us.

Outbidding Spurs isn't really in our game plan though. From what I have observed, Southampton prefer to buy players that are relatively unknown. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that we aren't buying Toby but have a different player lined up. Maybe one who isn't quite as good, but costs a third of the price.

Okay... lets try to pick this apart... :rolleyes:

Wonder what about the board? Did last summer not show to you they know what they are doing?

Over confident about what?

Even if we have an offer accepted, it is then for the player to decide and Spurs can offer higher wages than us.

You've become a caracature of yourself. Not worth the effort to respond to you.

If we've let Toby slip through our fingers for the amount of money being discussed in the media, I will start to wonder about our board again. Maybe they've got a bit overconfident.

Your son must find it incredibly easy to hack into that laptop.

This time last year I'd never even heard of Toby Alderweireld, and could much less say his name. I'm not in the "he's impossible to replace camp"

If we get him great, consistency is good. If not, I'm sure we'll sign someone equally as good that I've not heard of up to that point.

This time last year I'd never even heard of Toby Alderweireld, and could much less say his name. I'm not in the "he's impossible to replace camp"

If we get him great, consistency is good. If not, I'm sure we'll sign someone equally as good that I've not heard of up to that point.

You may not have heard of him but that doesn't mean that he was an unknown quanity. If we don't sign him, I'd be delighted if we signed a player you never heard of who has been part of the current 2nd ranked National team in the World for a long time and plays for the third most successful team in Spain and played against Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

All this waiting is just annoying now ngl- want a decision to be made now- all this waiting about whats gonna happen ffs- lets just get put out of our misery and hope les and scouts have someone just as better lined up

All this waiting is just annoying now ngl- want a decision to be made now- all this waiting about whats gonna happen ffs- lets just get put out of our misery and hope les and scouts have someone just as better lined up

:lol:

You may not have heard of him but that doesn't mean that he was an unknown quanity. If we don't sign him, I'd be delighted if we signed a player you never heard of who has been part of the current 2nd ranked National team in the World for a long time and plays for the third most successful team in Spain and played against Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

I guess you already had him marked out as influential Centre Back material.

I guess you already had him marked out as influential Centre Back material.

Pretty obvious he was a very good player. Probably nobody knew exactly how good he would be, but when we signed him it was clear he would be a very key part of the team.

It isnt as easy as people seem to think to keep signing high quality replacements and also improve areas of the squad that were weak last season.

Backup GK is still woeful, RB cover non existent etc.

I think the lack of rumors about us being linked with other centre backs (compared to midfielders) shows that were pretty confident in getting Toby (I hope) Also had we of been told at the end of the season Toby wouldn't be signing permanently we'd of all been ok with that but the fact that we've been told we could get him add to the reasonably low transfer fee being mooted we're all getting edgy ! As they say it's the hope that kills

Those who go on about bed wetting all the time. Is this a personal issue from childhood?

Quite possibly. It is a relatively common phenomenon amongst young boys and girls and is usually associated with trauma, fear or simply the stress of growing up. For grown adults, the situation is probably more complex.....

S

Pretty obvious he was a very good player. Probably nobody knew exactly how good he would be, but when we signed him it was clear he would be a very key part of the team.

It wasnt clear at all that the Belgium Team right back and reserve CB for Atletico who came on as an 83rd minute substitute for right back Fillipe Luis in the CL Final would go in to become an influential Centre Back for us. No more than it was obvious that Ryan Betrand would end up being voted in the PFA team of the year

We'll just have to wait and see, as most on this very forum seem convinced that we will be preferred to Spurs at the end of the day I am not inquiet. However red and white striped specs are dangerous things in the wrong hands.

He said he is/was happy at Saints.

He never said he would prefer us to Spurs or vice versa (at least not publically).

He may very well be happy to join either club.

We'll just have to wait and see, as most on this very forum seem convinced that we will be preferred to Spurs at the end of the day I am not inquiet. However red and white striped specs are dangerous things in the wrong hands.

I'm sure if everything on offer to Toby, wages, bonuses etc, were all equal between saints and spurs he'll join us but it's not going to be equal and he'll go where there's more money on offer.

Oh come on!

Just because he said he would 'like to stay at Southampton' doesn't mean he would ignore spuds waving 100k pw at him. We cannot and should not be matching this for a good defender who will likely play only 2/3 of a season due to his dodgy hamstrings (wonder how he will get on with potch's high intensity training?).

If we don't get him I'll be disappointed, but I believe the club are doing all they can.

I'm sure if everything on offer to Toby, wages, bonuses etc, were all equal between saints and spurs he'll join us but it's not going to be equal and he'll go where there's more money on offer.

I think you are quite right Spurs will probably offering more money.

Although he was great for us he did have injury problems so I will not be too upset if he goes to Spurs

Another potential twist: SSN have just done a brief Alderweireld bit in their transfer update saying that Saints "believe they have a contract with Atletico Madrid for the defender, expect a permanent transfer to take place after he spent last season on loan at St Mary's and if the Spanish club do a deal its Tottenham (or anyone else) Southampton will consider legal action against Atletico."

All getting a bit tasty. Sky sources saying that Saints think they have a contract with AM to purchase Toby and that if they sell to Spurs or anyone else Saints will take legal action.

Maybe why there's so little noise coming from saints , Quietly confident?