Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

One thing. I shouldn't have really done this because it's actually quite sad and only the sort of thing a skate would do to prove an argument, but I looked up the attendance for that game. It was 21k.

Of which, if you believe the portsmyth, 6k were skates. That's quite some allocation for away fans......

Well if they want to pick and choose results like the 4-1 rather than look at our better overall record that's fine. I'd remind them the last time our 2 clubs actually met was only last year with the youngsters. Can anyone remind me what the score was again :)

Watching the youngsters we trained ourselves at our fantastic academy win a Cup live on Sky Sports was also quite nice I thought. I'm sure their new port-a-cabin will help propel their youth to a similar level of success...

Pick and choose?

They have been cherrypicking events for the last decade and rewriting history as it happens!!

The old club was run by criminals, it ran up debt, stole from pensioners and bought a cup with laundered cash.

Nasty criminals, poor old creditors - but we'll still claim the cup!

Heroic players won a game at SMS but then wanted their wages.

Greedy judas players - but we'll keep on about beating a team two divisions below us for a generation!

The debt and the cup are forever interlinked - but not in portsmythery circles where small cherries are surgically gathered from the timeline before it is erased.

Well if they want to pick and choose results like the 4-1 rather than look at our better overall record that's fine. I'd remind them the last time our 2 clubs actually met was only last year with the youngsters. Can anyone remind me what the score was again :)

Watching the youngsters we trained ourselves at our fantastic academy win a Cup live on Sky Sports was also quite nice I thought. I'm sure their new port-a-cabin will help propel their youth to a similar level of success...

TBF they do also have a Donnay table tennis table in it :)

I'd love for them to finish 4th and get knocked out in the playoffs semis. I'm chuckling now just thinking about it.

I think agonisingly missing out on the play offs would be funnier. No extra money in the coffers for 2 games on tv. Also no extra excitement meaning it's been yet another pointless bore of a season in division 4.

Unfortunately that won't happen. They will go up.

Haven't we said that for each of the last three seasons

Nah... I think this is the first season where there's an acknowledgment that they have a relatively decent team and manager and thus are genuine title contenders. Which is good from a nutjob perspective as it was getting borderline tedious watching them bump along the bottom of the Football League. Don't get me wrong, it would still be amusing if they don't get promoted.

:)

I want to know who they know on the fixtures committee to get Crawley away last night, when Newport were away at Hartlepool, Carlisle were away to Plymouth and York played Yeovil.

Funny to see them not even in the promotion places, anyway.

Nah... I think this is the first season where there's an acknowledgement that they have a relatively decent team and manager and thus are genuine title contenders. Which is good from a nutjob perspective as it was getting borderline tedious watching them bump along the bottom of the Football League. Don't get me wrong, it would still be amusing if they don't get promoted.

:)

Yes, agree with the assessment. The past seasons it seemed the attitude was all wrong and they didn't know why they were struggling, as if turning up was good enough. This season it seems they have got some kind of plan to get promoted and are deservedly favourites to go up with the squad and manager they have. We'll just have to see if they can cope with the pressure that expectation of promotion can generate, after all, it took Bradford a while to get promoted with their greater resources than the rest of Division Four.

Just a fact or two about Portsmouth's Europa League attendances 08/09 in case there are any myths flying around...

Home crowd for Vitoria Guimaraes qualifier (R1) 19612.

Away crowd - there don't actually appear to be any records of this... 30,000 capacity so they'd have had at least 1500 tickets and having been there I can confirm there aren't 30000 in Guimaraes...

Braga away, a massive 12,000 total attendance in a ground which holds at least 30,000 (I've been there too)

AC Milan home 20,403 (can you imagine the ruckus if we only got that many for that game?)

Wolfsburg away 21,015

Heerenveen home 19,612

Thanks to the weird nature of the competition you didn't get to play everyone home and away, we should probably be grateful they didn't get the chance to fill 2/3rds of the San Siro or something. :D

Just a fact or two about Portsmouth's Europa League attendances 08/09 in case there are any myths flying around...

Wolfsburg away 21,015

You've missed a zero from the end of that figure. I'm sure we all remember the kerfuffle caused by BAs decision to cancel their normal worldwide flight schedule for the day to ferry 200,000 of the bestest to Germany and back.

Away crowd - there don't actually appear to be any records of this... 30,000 capacity so they'd have had at least 1500 tickets and having been there I can confirm there aren't 30000 in Guimaraes...

Braga away, a massive 12,000 total attendance in a ground which holds at least 30,000 (I've been there too)

AC Milan home 20,403 (can you imagine the ruckus if we only got that many for that game?)

Wolfsburg away 21,015

Heerenveen home 19,612

Thanks to the weird nature of the competition you didn't get to play everyone home and away, we should probably be grateful they didn't get the chance to fill 2/3rds of the San Siro or something. :D

Any numbers for their 2010/11 Euro League campaign? They did qualify as losing FA Cup finalists.

Any numbers for their 2010/11 Euro League campaign? They did qualify as losing FA Cup finalists.

LOL - unfortunately not due to their UEFA licence debacle. I am sure they would have sent shock-waves through the powerhouses of European football had they not been binned from the competition for cheating.

LOL - unfortunately not due to their UEFA licence debacle. I am sure they would have sent shock-waves through the powerhouses of European football had they not been binned from the competition for cheating.

The cheek of it! Accusing them of cheating! Outrageous!

Everyone knows they withdrew - voluntarily - from the competition that season to make it fairer for the other teams. You facking scummahs just make stuff up to suit your own agendas!!!

Wolfsburg away 21,015

Heerenveen home 19,612

Attendance was 18,000 at Vitoria Guimaraes, with 3000 skates travelling according to the skate news

Attendance was 18,000 at Vitoria Guimaraes, with 3000 skates travelling according to the skate news

Interesting, that's twice the allocation we'd be required to be given under the current rules. Though as I say, I went to Guimaraes for Euro 2004 and there's no way the local town is getting 30,000 for a match.

Wiki says "The city proper has a population of 52,181 inhabitants" "The population of the municipality in 2011 was 158,124,".

So basically they're never going to fill the place and the away allocation there is almost always going to be bigger than the 5%.

We can't draw them for comparison as they lost in the 3rd Qualifying Round.

Edited by The9

I'd forgotten about their last great European adventure!

Am I right in thinking that they failed to pay the entry fees or something like that and lost the place as a result?

I remember AA assuring everyone that he would put FIFA, UEFA and whoever else in their place and get that overturned.

But didn't.

I'd forgotten about their last great European adventure!

Am I right in thinking that they failed to pay the entry fees or something like that and lost the place as a result?

I remember AA assuring everyone that he would put FIFA, UEFA and whoever else in their place and get that overturned.

But didn't.

Can someone confirm this - I need a good laugh at the mo'

They was robbed!

In fairness they were a bit - Crawley 0defence was surprisingly good but nothing much in attack (for either club). Pompey build up play was far too intricate - quick breaks would have been the order of the day but that was a tad difficult seeing as they were camped in our half most of the game staring at our back four.

Barnard stuck up front on his own doing his usual busy stuff but never looking likely to score

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})