Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 447

Thread: Cedric Soares

  1. #1

    Default Cedric Soares

    Yes been a difficult league season this year, however quick mention to this chap.

    Having a great season and has improved a huge amount this season. Wasn't much between him and Martina last season (in fact Martina was Koeman's preferred choice) however Cedric is a huge distance ahead of him now. Improved a lot defensively, bulked up too which helps.

    Hopefully we'll be able to keep hold of him in the summer, as he is certainly one who seems to be continually linked away (City/Barca)

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broadwindsor, Dorset
    Posts
    1,897

    Default

    The experience at the Euro's has done him a power of good.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    28,331

    Default

    Gonna lose him

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,153

    Default

    He struggled with the physical side of the English game last season I remember one of his first games when Lukaku destroyed him.
    He has adapted well now though good going forward, decent cross and will happily match any opposition player trying to get to the byline. I'm not sure there is much between him and Clyne now. Goes to show that sometimes you have to give a player a chance not every player can start like Gabbi

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    Gonna lose him
    And you wonder why you get abuse?


    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cellone View Post
    And you wonder why you get abuse?


    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    TBF, based on the last few seasons, it's likely we'll let him go if there is interest. Hopefully we can keep him for another year atleast with Virgil.

    Nextr season the base of:

    Forster/New
    Cedric Virgil NEW Bertrand
    Romeu Hojbjerg/NEW
    JWP Tadic Redmond
    Gabbiadini

    Starts looking a really strong squad.

    Can see a bit of surgery this summer with a few leaving, e.g. Long, JRod, Clasie, Martina, but should have a pretty strong squad next year if we can keep the main group together and buildwith a few.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    28,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cellone View Post
    And you wonder why you get abuse?
    Not really. I wonder more about the dellusion on here of our place in football.

    We have never been more of a selling club than we are now.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    Not really. I wonder more about the dellusion on here of our place in football.

    We have never been more of a selling club than we are now.

    We've always been a selling club. The main difference is the club has more players other clubs want to buy these days thanks to the clubs decent recruitment policy.

    Imagine just how many of our recent players we would have sold in the last few years if Lowe was still in charge.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    Not really. I wonder more about the dellusion on here of our place in football.

    We have never been more of a selling club than we are now.
    freedom of movement for players has changed the landscape since 1995, so its maybe its not quite fair to compare now with days gone by, but since the Bosman ruling I don't recall too many of our players resisting the lure of the dollar and staying put. Players have been sold to balance the books and because they wanted a move. That is how it will always be until we have a side full of **** that no one wants (which has been the case at times). Hopefully we can keep recruiting well and top notch youngsters keep coming through to prevent that happening.

    Actually, I guess with the extra money in the Prem these days you could say that our place in the footballing pyramid has improved, but its all relative and unless you are at the top you will always be eaten by bigger fish.
    Last edited by Chez; 04-04-2017 at 12:58 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    Not really. I wonder more about the dellusion on here of our place in football.

    We have never been more of a selling club than we are now.
    So where do you see our place in football?

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Wasn't much between him and Martina last season (in fact Martina was Koeman's preferred choice) however Cedric is a huge distance ahead of him now.
    It has always been a huge distance between Martina and Cedric, its still laughable how some people here claimed Martina was better last season. Its like comparing Zlatan with Bendtner.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintadam View Post
    It has always been a huge distance between Martina and Cedric, its still laughable how some people here claimed Martina was better last season. Its like comparing Zlatan with Bendtner.
    Find a quote where someone says that !?

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Find a quote where someone says that !?
    A thread with a bunch of quotes

    https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthre...Dijk&p=2400469

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    3,150
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintadam View Post
    I think that thread is hilarious. A lot of the loudest voices on here being shown to know very little about our players, their talent and their merits in various footballing systems.

    Next time Shurlock or Batman try and shout you down about a player/tactics etc you'll know where to send them, thats for sure

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    In between
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    I think that thread is hilarious. A lot of the loudest voices on here being shown to know very little about our players, their talent and their merits in various footballing systems.
    To be fair you could definitely find quite some games from last season in which Martina played relatively well and some in which Cedric played very badly. I don't think many believed that Martina was a better player, but in my opinion it's very true that he played some better games.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CHELSEA
    Posts
    1,408

    Default

    I see in the Evening Standard tonight it says, Chelsea are after the Saints Holy Trinity of VVD, Bertrand and Cedric!!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 34
    Posts
    2,703
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SW5 SAINT View Post
    I see in the Evening Standard tonight it says, Chelsea are after the Saints Holy Trinity of VVD, Bertrand and Cedric!!
    So the Premier League champions are going to purchase the defence of a team that might not even finish in the top half? Never ceases to amaze me how shortsighted the big clubs can be in their recruitment. Just like when Liverpool attempted to mount a title assault with the spine of a team that had just finished 8th. Either we are massively underachieving given our players or Chelsea are massively shortsighted.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So the Premier League champions are going to purchase the defence of a team that might not even finish in the top half? Never ceases to amaze me how shortsighted the big clubs can be in their recruitment. Just like when Liverpool attempted to mount a title assault with the spine of a team that had just finished 8th. Either we are massively underachieving given our players or Chelsea are massively shortsighted.
    That is a very strange way to look at it. Why does it mean we are massively underachieving? Saints in recent years had a number of players good enough for top 4-6 clubs, but not enough as a squad to make the top four. That doesn't mean our players couldn't play for them.

    I can see why Bertrand would be an upgrade on Alonso, Cedric on Moses and van Dijk would improve them in central defence.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintadam View Post
    Will hold my hands up here , Although that's from this season

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 34
    Posts
    2,703
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    That is a very strange way to look at it. Why does it mean we are massively underachieving? Saints in recent years had a number of players good enough for top 4-6 clubs, but not enough as a squad to make the top four. That doesn't mean our players couldn't play for them.

    I can see why Bertrand would be an upgrade on Alonso, Cedric on Moses and van Dijk would improve them in central defence.
    If you were talking about Chelsea signing one of the three I'd agree with you but if you're telling me that (Yoshida aside) we've got a defence that's good enough to play for the Premier League champions then I'd argue we should probably have done a little better than we are doing.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    Not really. I wonder more about the dellusion on here of our place in football.

    We have never been more of a selling club than we are now.
    That last sentence is true. We have become pretty good at it. It is not something that I like, but there are many things I do like that happen as a direct result of this. Right now We are not about to go tits up because we can't afford the level we are at. Unless someone can buy the whole shooting match, evade the ffp while slinging millions we have no other option. I can't stand Les but?.....

    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

  22. #22

    Default

    Chelsea want VVD, Bertrand and Soares according to the press.
    They write so much bull**** these days.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Yes been a difficult league season this year, however quick mention to this chap.

    Having a great season and has improved a huge amount this season. Wasn't much between him and Martina last season (in fact Martina was Koeman's preferred choice) however Cedric is a huge distance ahead of him now. Improved a lot defensively, bulked up too which helps.

    Hopefully we'll be able to keep hold of him in the summer, as he is certainly one who seems to be continually linked away (City/Barca)
    Yes been really impressed with him this season too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,153

    Default

    He was very good tonight despite palace sticking Benteke on him most of the night.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    He was very good tonight despite palace sticking Benteke on him most of the night.
    Agree. Him and Tadic our most creative players.

    Our style (get it wide, look for overlap and put a cross in) suits wing backs and IMO he has flourished this season. A shame for him (and Tadic) we've not had someone who knows where the back of the net is for half the season or more

  26. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If you were talking about Chelsea signing one of the three I'd agree with you but if you're telling me that (Yoshida aside) we've got a defence that's good enough to play for the Premier League champions then I'd argue we should probably have done a little better than we are doing.
    I take your point, but good as they might be as defenders, I think the inability to convert chances is primarily what's put us where we are

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,246
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    He gets the goal for Portugal!! His first on the international scene

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Heading out for a throw in without the deflection!!

    Congratulations though......class player.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    southampton
    Posts
    80

    Default

    I watched the Le Tiss 100 premier league goals the other night and it was immediately apparent how many shots were aimed beyond the keeper into the bottom corner or off the post and in. Our current squad could do with some shooting practice - just inside the post will do fine more times than not. (JWP needs to understand which side of the post constitutes a 'goal' as he is so close so often it's laughable).

    I did enjoy how many of the shots were past Ian Walker - ha ha

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chickendippers View Post
    I watched the Le Tiss 100 premier league goals the other night and it was immediately apparent how many shots were aimed beyond the keeper into the bottom corner or off the post and in. Our current squad could do with some shooting practice - just inside the post will do fine more times than not. (JWP needs to understand which side of the post constitutes a 'goal' as he is so close so often it's laughable).

    I did enjoy how many of the shots were past Ian Walker - ha ha
    Cedric Soares?

  31. Default


  32. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    18,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    And fonte gets outjumped for Mexico's equaliser

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,777
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If you were talking about Chelsea signing one of the three I'd agree with you but if you're telling me that (Yoshida aside) we've got a defence that's good enough to play for the Premier League champions then I'd argue we should probably have done a little better than we are doing.
    We had one of the best defensive records in the division last season DESPITE the CB partnership for the last 4 months. Stuck that lot behind Kante (as well as Romeu) and with a keeper that stops more than Forster and you'd win the Premier League if you could also score.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with me
    Posts
    5,718

    Default

    So, all we need are better defenders, better midfielders and better strikers. And a better goalkeeper. Now that's what I call a plan.

  35. #35

    Default

    Don't forget a manager ^


  36. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,093

    Default

    Aren't Juve trying to persuade United to sell them Darmian as their first choice replacement for Alves? Perhaps they want to play him on the wrong side mainly though.

  37. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    So, all we need are better defenders, better midfielders and better strikers. And a better goalkeeper. Now that's what I call a plan.

    Always the plan in football, better players everywhere, preferably for less money as well.....

  38. #39

    Default

    I will be very surprised if Cedric is still here when the window shuts. Same for Bertie and Virge.

  39. #40

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cellone View Post
    I will be very surprised if Cedric is still here when the window shuts. Same for Bertie and Virge.

    Think we'll be cashing in again do you ? Or just can't keep good players when they get a whiff of a "big club".

  40. #41

    Default

    It's talking 35 -40 million Euros for Semedo who is being kept out of the national team by Cedric, are Juve likely to pay a similar price?

    Cos I can't see us selling for much less than 30-35 million considering the market.

    We are going to need a whole new defence at this rate.

  41. #42

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    I'd be very sorry to see Cedric go. Is Pied an adequate replacement for him as first choice RB? I'm not sure but he seemed OK the few times he played toward the end of the season.

    This is shaping up to be a transfer window of inflationary valuations. Juventus have proven to be pretty good at fleecing PL teams (Pogba) so turnaround is fair play in my book.

  42. #43

    Default

    There is nothing in this. A Portuguese sports daily (they make things up a lot) wrote that a few days ago and now it's just bouncing around the media echo chamber. Juventus are being linked with every right back under the sun so the Portuguese media figured they would jump in to fill the pages. Danilo and Darmian are the strong links.

  43. Default

    I didn't think 25m for Bertrand would be bettered in the laughable stakes today...

    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/25...-juventus-15m/

  44. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    I didn't think 25m for Bertrand would be bettered in the laughable stakes today...

    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/25...-juventus-15m/
    15m 🤣 next they'll be saying it's euros

  45. #46

    Default

    I want us to sell Cedric, especially as the amounts of money being talked about are hilariously high. I know he's solid at the back but his crossing has been a regular source of frustration for me

  46. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stockbridge_saint View Post
    I want us to sell Cedric, especially as the amounts of money being talked about are hilariously high. I know he's solid at the back but his crossing has been a regular source of frustration for me
    15m is hilariously high?

    I think he's an excellent player, he came on leaps and bounds last year and is now a regular Portugal international. Lucky to have him.

  47. #48

    Default

    I'd read 25 million

  48. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stockbridge_saint View Post
    I want us to sell Cedric, especially as the amounts of money being talked about are hilariously high. I know he's solid at the back but his crossing has been a regular source of frustration for me
    Cannot agree with your assessment - I thought had an excellent season, combining courage and solid defence with adventurous runs and decent crossing. With Cedric and Pied I think we're sorted at RB.

  49. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stockbridge_saint View Post
    I'd read 25 million
    Sill not particularly hilariously high. Standard price for a PL international, but due to his age I'd want more if we were going to sell.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •