Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

SuperSAINT

I'd stick with Gunn and get a settled team in front of him. Valery, Yoshida, Danso, Bertrand. Stick with that for five games, no matter what, and see if there's any sign of improvement. Gunn isn't a bad 'keeper but he is young, will make mistakes and the current shower in defence is doing him no favours at all.

Think he looks like he is made of Emmental, first goal yesterday was just one of those things but he was well off his line looking to recreate Bournemouths 3rd, Yoshida was much faster at vainly hoping to hook it out, the Mount goal it seemed to just go through him like he was a hologram, the third was a kick in the guts all round, the fourth, being nutmegged through legs more open than a whores on a busy Saturday night.......................I think we have established beyond any doubt in the Premier League the standard of player you can pick up for between £15m-£20m is not going to have you knocking on the door of the Champions League, more likely stamping on the trapdoor to the Championship!

Same excuses as per Forster from the people on this forum. Next we’ll be claiming he’s carrying a knock on his knee and isn’t fully fit.

McCarthy is superior in every single way, too many people on here over impressed with his designer stubble.

I mean, that's total horse crap - he was terrific for Norwich on loan in the Championship two seasons ago and has represented England right through the age groups.

Sometimes there's a middle ground between being a good young player going through a difficult spell of form and being a non league no hoper who should learn another trade.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I’ve seen better shot-stoppers in the Wessex League.

What errors were they? (and I’ve played a lot of Sunday morning football in my time)

The calamity against Bournemouth was mainly due to Bednarek letting the ball bounce.

Sunday League football or any league football come to that, dictates that if a goalkeeper comes off his line to get the ball, he must get it!

It was away to Villa, got injured doing it as well and never looked as good after that.

The swing and a miss was against Palace for a goal that Benteke had no chance whatsoever of missing for a change.

You are right to think it was against Villa as Forster had a similar brain fart in that game too. The ball was heading towards him with acres of space he hesitated then decided to depart the safety of his line to get the ball, trouble was the player in pursuit of the ball, despite both him and his legs heading into the twilight of their career, was Gabbi Agbonlahor, probably one of the most rapid players across a football pitch that many of us have ever seen in his heyday! He switched his legs on got to the ball first, rounded Forster 1-0 to the Villa.

Sunday League football or any league football come to that, dictates that if a goalkeeper comes off his line to get the ball, he must get it!

If he comes out expecting to catch a ball headed back to him and Bednarek just leaves it the who’s at fault?

There’s another fundamental rule for a centre back: don’t let the ball bounce.

If he comes out expecting to catch a ball headed back to him and Bednarek just leaves it the who’s at fault?

There’s another fundamental rule for a centre back: don’t let the ball bounce.

If he was expecting Bednarek to head it back to him then why on earth would he decide to rush right out to the edge of his box like that? If a keeper comes that far off his line, he has to be absolutely confident of getting the ball.

I do take your point about not letting the ball bounce though. It was a terrible miscommunication between the two players, and the fault lies equally with them both.

Reminds me of a young Tim Flowers who made plenty of mistakes and struggled to replace the ageing Burridge early in his Saints career. Flowers was a great shot stopper and never came out for crosses early on.

I hope you are right. I'm not seeing anything special

Reminds me of a young Tim Flowers who made plenty of mistakes and struggled to replace the ageing Burridge early in his Saints career. Flowers was a great shot stopper and never came out for crosses early on.

Got to say I don't recall Tim Flowers being particularly mistake ridden, although it is a fair time ago now of course, so maybe the memory is letting me down. I seem to recall at one point some questioning why Chris Nicholl was persevering with Burridge when Flowers was waiting in the wings. In hindsight CN was probably protecting Flowers.

Burridge on his day though was a good GK, probably better than we have now, but would probably be deemed too short in the current game by many although his agility often made up for it.

Hope Gunn reaches the standard of Tim Flowers, but like Ohio I've yet to see it. TF was regarded as an exceptional prospect outside of Southampton from an early stage.

• 9 months later...

I suppose his future is very much tied to what happens with Big Fraser, but what do we think about Gunn’s future?

A loan out possibly?  Or might he be a Chambers/Targett type of sale, used to fund other positions in the squad? 

55 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I suppose his future is very much tied to what happens with Big Fraser, but what do we think about Gunn’s future?

A loan out possibly?  Or might he be a Chambers/Targett type of sale, used to fund other positions in the squad? 

Don' t think the club will want to let him go, not without a buy back clause.  He's still young, and he is a promising keeper.  My concern is that keepers generally need to play to improve, we saw the same thing with Fraser, sitting on the bench (or not even on the bench) helps no-one.

Depending on what happens with the other keeps in the squad, I'd be looking to let Gunn go out on loan, possibly down to the championship for a season, and get some games under his belt.

• 2 weeks later...

From Phil Hay’s Leeds Q&A, Re: GK position from The Athletic:

We’re waiting to find out with Casilla. It was interesting that Bielsa decided to use him at Derby because it suggested that, in his mind, Casilla is not necessarily done. But I still think there’s a chance he’ll go. Casilla’s reputation has taken a big hit in England. I know that Leeds have long been interested in Emiliano Martinez but sadly he’s flavour of the month at Arsenal. They’ve also looked at Angus Gunn (Southampton) before and that was a name which cropped up again last week. Whatever happens, there’s a very good chance Illan Meslier will start as No 1.We’re waiting to find out with Casilla. It was interesting that Bielsa decided to use him at Derby because it suggested that, in his mind, Casilla is not necessarily done. But I still think there’s a chance he’ll go. Casilla’s reputation has taken a big hit in England. I know that Leeds have long been interested in Emiliano Martinez but sadly he’s flavour of the month at Arsenal. They’ve also looked at Angus Gunn (Southampton) before and that was a name which cropped up again last week. Whatever happens, there’s a very good chance Illan Meslier will start as No 1.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Probably our most "sellable" goalkeeper. I wouldn't want to sell him now, as I think there is still some potential there. His best game for us was probably his debut against Chelsea and last season I feel that he was a victim of playing in a very poor, close to dire Southampton team as well as playing behind a horrendous back line. However, you can't say that McCarthy doesn't deserve the number one spot either and if Gunn needs to go in order to generate funds for other positions and due to not being able to sell Frankenstein then Gunn may have to go. We do however need to make a profit on him and we signed him for £13.5m from City...

If Forster is determined to fight for his place here , then it will be against McCarthy. It's then a no-brainer that Gunn will probably get a season loan somewhere. He still has potential but he needs to get his confidence back.

In that scenario, I'm not sure who would be third keeper this year though, even Harry Lewis would need to be registered, so that's one extra outfield squad place taken up by a GK.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’ve been told by a guy I trust, that supposedly there is genuine interest in Butland, with Forster going somewhere, haven’t been told anything else, but would make sense to give Gunn games. He needs to be playing week in week out to improve. 

Who needs a keeper that would pay for FF?  Can only think of Villa off top of my head.

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

No idea. Maybe he’s done enough last season to bring in suitors? 
Id be surprised if it’s for decent money but who knows? Trying to find out. 

Could add Leeds to the shortlist...

Not sure why Joyce deleted the tweet, though. 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think they're looking for a superstar replacement for Kepa though! If that's Forster their fans will be having a fit.

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

They’re trying to bring in a first choice, and sell Kepa but No one wants Kepa. They won’t be signing FF as first choice...

More likely to sign a Foster than a Forster. 

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I bet Palace cant believe their luck, 18 months ago they tried to sign him and Stoke wanted £23m for him. Great deal

Worth a gamble at that price, sure. But given that he's a husk of the goalkeeper he was before fracturing his ankle and his confidence is shot to shit, they'll be taking on a big wage for potentially damaged, unusable goods - which is unlikely be viewed as a great deal.

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

A surprise, wouldnt think we'd want to let him go, unless they've decided he's never going to be good enough.  Played a handful of games and cost the club a load of money. 

Not really a surprise, it’ll do him good to get a season of football under his belt. We’ve got 3 keepers with not much between them And there won’t be many takers for the other two due to Wages. Makes sense to get Gunn out for a year. 

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

A surprise, wouldnt think we'd want to let him go, unless they've decided he's never going to be good enough.  Played a handful of games and cost the club a load of money. 

It is a loan to get 1st team gametime, the alternative is him likely to play 0 league games for us this season. If he does well perhaps he'll get a second chance at Saints. I wouldn't completely write off his Saints future quite yet.

Edited by Matthew Le God

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not really a surprise, it’ll do him good to get a season of football under his belt. We’ve got 3 keepers with not much between them And there won’t be many takers for the other two due to Wages. Makes sense to get Gunn out for a year. 

31 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is a loan to get 1st team gametime, the alternative is him likely to play 0 league games for us this season. If he does well perhaps he'll get a second chance at Saints. I wouldn't completely write off his Saints future quite yet.

Think he was referring to Nixon's second tweet suggesting that there will be an option to buy.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich