The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Can we rely on him to produce if Redmond gets injured? Not much evidence based on his loan spell in the Championship.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

not much evidence that redmond could produce until he had a manager that believed in him and didn’t shackle him to the touch line

Still think it depends if we can get rid of Cedric as our right wing back option could be stronger.

Also an on loan striker like Lookman who would look the part in our system.

Then come the summer you get rid of all those not suited and bring in three class players to play attacking and quick football.

Sell Romeu, Austin, Long, Bertrand (If he has not stepped up) and Hoedt to raise some good fees.

Words escape me at least polite ones do. Peculiar ideas as always from you, a lone voice in the wilderness.

not much evidence that redmond could produce until he had a manager that believed in him and didn’t shackle him to the touch line
Redmond was already improving before Ralph arrived. Ralph has improved us as a team no doubt but not everything is down to the manager. I think people should give Redmond himself more credit for his performance this season. It was pretty clear to me in pre-season that he had been working hard and came back with a much better attitude and confidence about him this season.

Yes we had great success with the likes of Wanyama and Schneiderlin, but that was a number of years ago. Both have regressed since imo and there are certainly better options out there. Romeu and Hojbjerg doing very well anyways so would rather we waited until the summer. An attacking player would be the priority this window, CB second

Words escape me at least polite ones do. Peculiar ideas as always from you, a lone voice in the wilderness.

Because I suggested we raise some funds by selling some players.

Is that not what Southampton Football Club do every year?

Edited by Pilchards

If we want to raise funds it's Lemina or Bertrand for me. Would raise a fair bit and not near the first team (for possibly similar reasons). We need to keep Romeu at (almost) all costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we want to raise funds it's Lemina or Bertrand for me. Would raise a fair bit and not near the first team (for possibly similar reasons). We need to keep Romeu at (almost) all costs

Both are injured currently but are both first choices in their respective positions. It is a no brainier that we need both of them fit and playing.

Thought Lemina had already been sold..?

I think the players we can least well cope without at the moment are Romeu, Redmond and Ings. Therefore, I think these are the three positions we should prioritise in this window (as cover/competition).

If we have youth players in those positions who are good enough to cover, then fine. Maybe Sims, Obafemi or Gallagher can give us enough pace if Redmond is unavailable, but I’m not sure yet.

I don’t think a defensive midfield of 2 of Hojbjerg/Lemina/JWP is solid enough without Romeu. We need Romeu (or someone like him as cover) plus 1 (or maybe 2) of the others. We always seem best (since the Liebherr revolution) with a strong defensive holding midfielder next to a more creative holding midfielder (e.g. Wayanama and Morgan).

I think the players we can least well cope without at the moment are Romeu, Redmond and Ings. Therefore, I think these are the three positions we should prioritise in this window (as cover/competition).

If we have youth players in those positions who are good enough to cover, then fine. Maybe Sims, Obafemi or Gallagher can give us enough pace if Redmond is unavailable, but I’m not sure yet.

I don’t think a defensive midfield of 2 of Hojbjerg/Lemina/JWP is solid enough without Romeu. We need Romeu (or someone like him as cover) plus 1 (or maybe 2) of the others. We always seem best (since the Liebherr revolution) with a strong defensive holding midfielder next to a more creative holding midfielder (e.g. Wayanama and Morgan).

My guess is that Ralph will have one priority in this window, which may supersede even positional considerations. and that is to inject more pace into our squad and the link with Joakim Mæhle, exemplifies that. With a couple more players who can control the ball at pace, a team playing his style of football could get even better results than they've been getting lately.

I believe Ralph wants to play his 4-2-2-2 long term, which would need several new players IMO.

He has already said he is not happy to play a back 4 because we are open too defensively, and has also said he wants more protection in front of that 4 as well. Which of course is a slight against Romeu, but I'd say its more of reflection that Romeu is not that mobile and is pretty slow.

So that probably highlights two areas in need of improvement. CB and DM.

If we then presume that Cedric is going then we need a more attacking right back (the width in his 4-2-2-2 came from the wing backs), the Danish guy from Genk seems to have been identified for this role.

Then he was stated he wants more pace in the attacking areas, again I would presume this would mean basically someone to compliment Redmond, so a fast AMC.

Then he also wants a mobile, more target man like player, so another striker.

And probably a further striker to basically be another option/challenge Ings for the 'Werner' role in his 4-2-2-2. Especially considering Ings' injury history.

So IMO that is a minimum of 5 new players long term -

1. Top quality centre-back, ideally with pace I reckon (I believe Dayot Upamecano in his Leipzig team is a very quick centre-back, hence the links but unlikely we will get him) This will be a tough ask to find I reckon, we are talking about basically finding another Van Dijk. Its why its a shame that Mepham looks likely to be going to Bournemouth because he is a very mobile centre-back.

2. A new attacking right back, with pace, looks like the Danish guy from Genk is being lined up for this.

3. A mobile physical DM, a 'Wanyama' if you will.

4. A pacey, hardworking attacking mid/wide player.

5. A mobile target man type striker to play up front with Ings.

+ 6 Another Ings/fast attacker, but maybe Obafemi can fill this role, at least short term.

There is also questions about the other CM, but I would presume basically Hojberg/Lemina would play there, though I am not sure Hojberg quite fits this role. At Leipzig this was Keita and he was key with his physicality and dribbling ability to bring to ball forward to start attacks and to break out from opposition presses, its similar to what Dembele did for Spurs at his best. Hojberg is a good player, and big unit, but he's not particularly quick or that good at dribbling.

You'd think Lemina, if he can get fit and get some consistency is tailor made for this role.

I also wouldn't honestly be surprised on that basis that if a big bid came in for Hojberg, he'd be sold to raise funds to buy those other positions because I am not sure long term he fits the style of play Ralf wants (but he might adapt).

So you are looking at potentially 5-7 new first team players.

You are struggling to see from the current squad who might be able to fill in here and possibly be improved by Ralfs coaching.

Maybe Gallagher for the mobile target man role.

Maybe Boufal for the fast attacker role, I always thought his work rate was fine so if he came back and got on board with Ralfs ideas he could be a good option.

Valery would be fine as the back up right back but I don't think you'd want him as our first choice and you'd need another as well.

From the squad and those on loan you can't see many players being able to fulfil those roles.

Carrillo, Clasie, Reed don't fit and I'd expect them to be sold.

Austin, Elyounoussi, Hoedt you'd also expect to go as they don't really fit either, also Long if we can find a better striker option that has similar attributes.

You'd also say that Armstrong and JWP don't really fit with that system either, but they seem to be fairly versatile players that have adapted well to Ralfs style, so along with Romeu you'd probably want them as your midfield back ups.

The black box is going to have to work hard to find some gems, otherwise I expect us to be a work in progress still next season and beyond.

It could easily take another 3-4 windows to undo the damage done over the last two years signings wise.

Edited by tajjuk

I believe Ralph wants to play his 4-2-2-2 long term, which would need several new players IMO.

He has already said he is not happy to play a back 4 because we are open too defensively, and has also said he wants more protection in front of that 4 as well. Which of course is a slight against Romeu, but I'd say its more of reflection that Romeu is not that mobile and is pretty slow.

If we then presume that Cedric is going then we need a more attacking right back (the width in his 4-2-2-2 came from the wing backs), the Danish guy from Genk seems to have been identified for this role.

Then he was stated he wants more pace in the attacking areas, again I would presume this would mean basically someone to compliment Redmond, so a fast AMC.

And probably a further striker to basically be another option/challenge Ings for the 'Werner' role in his 4-2-2-2. Especially considering Ings' injury history.

1. Top quality centre-back, ideally with pace I reckon (I believe Dayot Upamecano in his Leipzig team is a very quick centre-back, hence the links but unlikely we will get him) This will be a tough ask to find I reckon, we are talking about basically finding another Van Dijk. Its why its a shame that Mepham looks likely to be going to Bournemouth because he is a very mobile centre-back.

2. A new attacking right back, with pace, looks like the Danish guy from Genk is being lined up for this.

+ 6 Another Ings/fast attacker, but maybe Obafemi can fill this role, at least short term.

There is also questions about the other CM, but I would presume basically Hojberg/Lemina would play there, though I am not sure Hojberg quite fits this role. At Leipzig this was Keita and he was key with his physicality and dribbling ability to bring to ball forward to start attacks and to break out from opposition presses, its similar to what Dembele did for Spurs at his best. Hojberg is a good player, and big unit, but he's not particularly quick or that good at dribbling.

You'd think Lemina, if he can get fit and get some consistency is tailor made for this role.

I also wouldn't honestly be surprised on that basis that if a big bid came in for Hojberg, he'd be sold to raise funds to buy those other positions because I am not sure long term he fits the style of play Ralf wants (but he might adapt).

You are struggling to see from the current squad who might be able to fill in here and possibly be improved by Ralfs coaching.

Maybe Boufal for the fast attacker role, I always thought his work rate was fine so if he came back and got on board with Ralfs ideas he could be a good option.

Valery would be fine as the back up right back but I don't think you'd want him as our first choice and you'd need another as well.

From the squad and those on loan you can't see many players being able to fulfil those roles.

Austin, Elyounoussi, Hoedt you'd also expect to go as they don't really fit either, also Long if we can find a better striker option that has similar attributes.

You'd also say that Armstrong and JWP don't really fit with that system either, but they seem to be fairly versatile players that have adapted well to Ralfs style, so along with Romeu you'd probably want them as your midfield back ups.

The black box is going to have to work hard to find some gems, otherwise I expect us to be a work in progress still next season and beyond.

It could easily take another 3-4 windows to undo the damage done over the last two years signings wise.

Good summary - I think Ralph might be happier with Romeu and Hoj longer term than you suggest though.

Cahill to Fulham now looking unlikely. They were wanting to buy out the last 6 months of his contract at Chelsea but he wants a longer-term deal and probably doesn't fancy dropping down to the Championship with them, as they are looking very likely to do now.

Cheeky bid from us? He's 33 now but has a wealth of experience and the leadership qualities we are very much lacking. Would he fit into Ralph's system?

Cahill to Fulham now looking unlikely. They were wanting to buy out the last 6 months of his contract at Chelsea but he wants a longer-term deal and probably doesn't fancy dropping down to the Championship with them, as they are looking very likely to do now.

Cheeky bid from us? He's 33 now but has a wealth of experience and the leadership qualities we are very much lacking. Would he fit into Ralph's system?

Before Ralph I wouldve taken him, but Ralph says he wants long term players not short term. Personally i'd continue with bednarek, vesta, stephens and yoshi till the summer, they will be just fine.

Good player but Ralph has been talking about players for the long term...

Plus he's on 130k a week.

It's a no for me. 33 is too old, there are many younger, better players out there with more to prove.

It's not as if we need experience either. Bertrand, Yoshida, JWP, Cedric, Romeu, Long and Austin must all have well over 100 Premier League apps each.

Why do you think Ralph wants to play 4-2-2-2 long term, I realize this was a favoured formation in his previous job, but has actually said that's his long term plan? It seems to me 3-4-3 works well for us with the players we have and can be improved with just a couple of new players rather than a large squad overhaul I much prefer three at the back to two.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Why do you think Ralph wants to play 4-2-2-2 long term, I realize this was a favoured formation in his previous job, but has actually said that's his long term plan? It seems to me 3-4-3 works well for us with the players we have and can be improved with just a couple of new players rather than a large squad overhaul I much prefer three at the back to two.

He says here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/06/ralph-hasenhuttl-southampton-premier-league-rb-leipzig his preferred formation is 4222, but doesn't mind playing 433 or 343. Think the 343/352 suits the squad at the moment, primarily because the centre backs aren't good enough to play just two of them, but we could do with a large overhaul in the summer so just as well back this guy's preferred way of playing.

He says here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/06/ralph-hasenhuttl-southampton-premier-league-rb-leipzig his preferred formation is 4222, but doesn't mind playing 433 or 343. Think the 343/352 suits the squad at the moment, primarily because the centre backs aren't good enough to play just two of them, but we could do with a large overhaul in the summer so just as well back this guy's preferred way of playing.
Agreed. I think he would like the option of 4 at the back, which at the moment is denied him due to our weaknesses at centre back.

He's not played much, but very highly regarded...would expect him to go for more like £10-15m though if he goes...?

At least. Lookman went for £11m. Burke went for £13m. Even Ox went for £15m and that was 8 years ago.

Leeds adamant they won't sell so £5m bid will likely go straight in the bin.

As mentioned above, he doesn't think we are enough of a threat going forward with 3 at the back, but is worried about us defensively with 4.

Sky are reporting that Yannick Bolaise has exercised an option in his loan deal to return to Everton, while they evidently expected him to remain at Villa for the rest of the season.

I wonder what implications that will have for their squad and their willingness/ability to buy or sell any players?

£5 Million is such a weirdly low figure you have to wonder if there isn't some sort of automatic buy-out clause involved? If so, a 25% sell on clause (or something similar) could be negotiated too. Despite Leeds doing very well at the moment, it is worth keeping an eye out to see how long they can keep it up. Bielsa is notorious for burning teams out and with the continued Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday routine plus a few injuries it isn't a foregone conclusion that they will get promoted.

Also, Leeds still aren't able to throw money around. They aren't like Wolves.

Personally I don't have a problem with testing the waters with a bid like this - after all he is only 18 and had half a season in the Championship.

£5 Million is such a weirdly low figure you have to wonder if there isn't some sort of automatic buy-out clause involved? If so, a 25% sell on clause (or something similar) could be negotiated too. Despite Leeds doing very well at the moment, it is worth keeping an eye out to see how long they can keep it up. Bielsa is notorious for burning teams out and with the continued Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday routine plus a few injuries it isn't a foregone conclusion that they will get promoted.

Also, Leeds still aren't able to throw money around. They aren't like Wolves.

Personally I don't have a problem with testing the waters with a bid like this - after all he is only 18 and had half a season in the Championship.

If he does have a release clause, we wont have to add any incentives like that.

If there isn't such a clause, I can't see Leeds selling him for any money.

According to this https://www.leedsunited.com/news/academy-news/22588/jack-clarke-signs-professional-contract

he is under contract until the end of the season after next so there's no chance he is getting sold for £5m unless there is a release clause or Leeds are about to go bust.

He'll be worth £30m easily in a year if he carries on playing well. He's 5 years younger than Maddison who went for £20m after one decent season in the Championship.

Edit - why is this post called "ambulance"? I did not write that. Very odd. Forum must be hacked. Probably those PMs that were doing the rounds.

Edited by JustMike

Sky are reporting that Yannick Bolaise has exercised an option in his loan deal to return to Everton, while they evidently expected him to remain at Villa for the rest of the season.

I wonder what implications that will have for their squad and their willingness/ability to buy or sell any players?

Good question. Apparently Villa were paying ALL of his £70k a week wages so I can see why they did it!

According to this https://www.leedsunited.com/news/academy-news/22588/jack-clarke-signs-professional-contract

he is under contract until the end of the season after next so there's no chance he is getting sold for £5m unless there is a release clause or Leeds are about to go bust.

He'll be worth £30m easily in a year if he carries on playing well. He's 5 years younger than Maddison who went for £20m after one decent season in the Championship.

Edit - why is this post called "ambulance"? I did not write that. Very odd. Forum must be hacked. Probably those PMs that were doing the rounds.

No idea! Very odd. Just removed it for you