The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Yeah, that's come from out of nowhere (a bit like the Hoedt deal).

I'd assume it'll be a loan. But lets see what happens.

Don't see why Saints would be very keen on a loan:

1. Cedric would need replacing (whereas Hoedt doesn't) and from all the "long term, young player" chat we would have to pay a fee

2. His contract is up in 18 months so value diminishing. Now the optimal time to sell even if for a reduced price.

3. He is a long term signing for someone I think, rather than a short term punt and unlike Darmian would be on affordable wages for a side like Inter.

Don't see why Saints would be very keen on a loan:

1. Cedric would need replacing (whereas Hoedt doesn't) and from all the "long term, young player" chat we would have to pay a fee

2. His contract is up in 18 months so value diminishing. Now the optimal time to sell even if for a reduced price.

3. He is a long term signing for someone I think, rather than a short term punt and unlike Darmian would be on affordable wages for a side like Inter.

Certainly hope you're right.

As usual we seem to be sorting out the departure before we lock down the arrival. We always seem so efficient on that side of the transaction.

Let's hope we don't get caught short yet again.

You say that but these Maehle links have been pretty strong. Could easily be a case of him being ready for the second Cedric goes.

As usual we seem to be sorting out the departure before we lock down the arrival. We always seem so efficient on that side of the transaction.

This would be my worry too. I don’t really have a problem with selling Cedric in the circumstances, but only if we have a player ready for first team definitely coming in at right back. It’s an issue with this “sell before you buy policy” that we operate that if the replacement is not sewn up already, the prospective selling club will be in a good position to demand more from us and potentially play us off against other buyers.

That's true, CB, but it's not necessarily the fault of the people at the sharp end, doing the deals. They are probably under strict instructions from the owners that they can only buy players after they have secured the amount they need from player sales.

Otherwise we end up with the likes of Forster not in the squad but earning crazy money!

We've already been managed without Cedric. He's been back up or left back for whatever reason.

Valery has done ok. Targett played there pre season. It would be a weak spot but Cedric wasn't playing well there anyway.

Yoshida and Stephens have also played there.

Not ideal if he's sold and not replaced but it's not the end of the world either.

It would be nice to think it was funding a replacement though... Will we get moustache compensation?

Again? The last time we go caught short it buying Gunn before shifting Forster.

Have to say I'm quite relaxed about this transfer window, other than getting a RB in should Cedric leave I don't think we need anyone else in at this stage. I think it will be a different story in the Summer when Ralph will be looking to shape the squad more to his liking.

Again? The last time we go caught short it buying Gunn before shifting Forster.

Exactly.

We buy before we sell “**** sake Saints, now we can’t shift Player X as team know we are desperate to get rid, done it the wrong way round!!”

We sell before we buy “**** sake Saints, now we can’t get a replacement in for Player X as team know we are desperate to buy, done it the wrong way round!!”

[emoji23]

Have to say I'm quite relaxed about this transfer window, other than getting a RB in should Cedric leave I don't think we need anyone else in at this stage. I think it will be a different story in the Summer when Ralph will be looking to shape the squad more to his liking.

I think we need to get as many in as possible before Ralph buggers off to Spurs

News on a couple of players from Transfer windows past....

- Jordan Lukaku to join Newcastle on loan from Lazio

- Victor Moses having medical at #Fenerbahce ahead of loan from #Chelsea

Didnt realise that Fenerbache, one of the top Turkish clubs, are candidates for relegation this year.

Presume they still have money though

Never totally understood the Cedric hate. He was one of our stand out players in 16/17. He hasn't hit that level of performance since, but when you look at our defence player by player (pre-Ralph), who has?

His perceived drop off in form wasn't singular to him, it was a squad-wide issue, so it baffles me the way in which he is singled out. Even on his return to the team, I think he has been decent - still can't cross though. I'm happy seeing Valery progress and for me, Bertrand is still our best full back, but Cedric is the third best option. I'd much rather see him there than Yoshida or Stephens. CB's playing as FB's is generally horrible and has been for us - little attacking instinct, completely different angles vs wide players etc etc.

Never totally understood the Cedric hate. He was one of our stand out players in 16/17. He hasn't hit that level of performance since, but when you look at our defence player by player (pre-Ralph), who has?

His perceived drop off in form wasn't singular to him, it was a squad-wide issue, so it baffles me the way in which he is singled out. Even on his return to the team, I think he has been decent - still can't cross though. I'm happy seeing Valery progress and for me, Bertrand is still our best full back, but Cedric is the third best option. I'd much rather see him there than Yoshida or Stephens. CB's playing as FB's is generally horrible and has been for us - little attacking instinct, completely different angles vs wide players etc etc.

I've just seen Alex Crook saying that we might be getting £17M for him. If that's the case, then I take it all back haha. Good player but take the money for sure.

Didnt realise that Fenerbache, one of the top Turkish clubs, are candidates for relegation this year.

Presume they still have money though

Fenerbache are struggling because FFP is working, in fact their owners have basically said that they're going to ignore FFP and take the European ban so they can buy who they want and win the league next season.

We seem to be loaning out too many players. I know that Boufal and Carillo were mentioned as having a possible recall. But are we likely to get Hoedt back? I understand Davis. But we should insist on selling the likes of Cedric, not loaning with an option to buy.

We seem to be loaning out too many players. I know that Boufal and Carillo were mentioned as having a possible recall. But are we likely to get Hoedt back? I understand Davis. But we should insist on selling the likes of Cedric, not loaning with an option to buy.

Loans seem quicker to sort out. I'm sure we get a hefty loan fee & Inter big enough to pay all of wages.

I assumed it would be a loan as their current right back is on loan, not to mention they wanted Darmian on loan with option to buy as well.

With that said, lets not forget the Gabbi deal was supposed to be a loan too, but that seemed to change.

Looks like the Cedric deal will be completed tomorrow with Inter paying £14 million (16 million Euros). I can't tell if that is a transfer straightaway or a loan with a commitment to buy him in the summer.
that's good as they have a good wide pitch and so his crosses can be stopped from going for throw ins

Loans seem quicker to sort out. I'm sure we get a hefty loan fee & Inter big enough to pay all of wages.

I assumed it would be a loan as their current right back is on loan, not to mention they wanted Darmian on loan with option to buy as well.

With that said, lets not forget the Gabbi deal was supposed to be a loan too, but that seemed to change.

Inter are struggling FFP-wise somewhat, so are looking at loans for this month. Hopefully it'll be an obligation to buy.

We can't "insist" on any club being prepared to buy any player, and/or any player being prepared to move to a particular club. If the best available deal which shifts a players wages (or a proportion) is a loan then that's what we have to do.

Good luck trying to do that. How can you insist on selling?

Good luck trying to do that. How can you insist on selling?

If they don't buy, then you keep him. Simple really. I suspect, but happy to be told otherwise, that they are keener on getting him, than we are in selling him and replacing with some other over priced player.

If they don't buy, then you keep him. Simple really. I suspect, but happy to be told otherwise, that they are keener on getting him, than we are in selling him and replacing with some other over priced player.
how does that fit trying to reduce the squad and wage bill?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

how does that fit trying to reduce the squad and wage bill?

So we get rid of him on loan. You happy with what we have remaining there? If reports are to be believed, we may or may not be interested in that fella from Genk. How does that fit in with reducing the squad size?

So we get rid of him on loan. You happy with what we have remaining there? If reports are to be believed, we may or may not be interested in that fella from Genk. How does that fit in with reducing the squad size?
Nope not happy at all I think we are weak in wing backs. Targett made of glass. Bertrand not fit, Cedric had to fill in last week and looks as though wants out.

Need better attacking options down right imo.

But we are paying price for sh1te recruitment....all we are doing is shifting everything to summer hope Ralph doesnt get poached away!

Loans are all we can do with clubs not spending and wages we pay for likes of Hoedt, Carillo, Boufal, Forster we have to accept what offers we get at the moment.

I'd also be pretty concerned if we let Cedric go without having someone lined up to come in immediately. As Give It To Ron said, Targett seems to pick up a few knocks and Bertrand hasnt played yet since a long lay off. On the right we've got Valery who has done pretty well but looks like may pick up a few more bookings, and then Ramsey who might be a good prospect but realistically is probably not ready to be playing premier league football. Dont want to get back to the days of Yoshida playing full back...!!

I'd also be pretty concerned if we let Cedric go without having someone lined up to come in immediately. As Give It To Ron said, Targett seems to pick up a few knocks and Bertrand hasnt played yet since a long lay off. On the right we've got Valery who has done pretty well but looks like may pick up a few more bookings, and then Ramsey who might be a good prospect but realistically is probably not ready to be playing premier league football. Dont want to get back to the days of Yoshida playing full back...!!

Stephens is ok as a RB