The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Valery is raw and could suddenly have a dip and Ramsay is nowhere near the level needed now.

Risky move to let Cedric go, especially given we hardly need to loan him out for financial reasons.

Have to also consider that we have Ross Wilson and Ralph Krueger in charge of our transfer dealings. As far as I am aware, both have been present in our multiple terrible windows of recent years.

Stephens is ok as a RB
But we're playing with wing backs. They're a vital part of our attacking threat. Stephens' outings at RB have shown no indication that he can contribute anything other than a limited defensive brief.

There is no benefit to us getting shot of Cedric - ordinary though he has been - without replacing him. We're in a relegation fight, we can't afford to take liberties with the squad.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

But we're playing with wing backs. They're a vital part of our attacking threat. Stephens' outings at RB have shown no indication that he can contribute anything other than a limited defensive brief.

There is no benefit to us getting shot of Cedric - ordinary though he has been - without replacing him. We're in a relegation fight, we can't afford to take liberties with the squad.

Agreed but if RH is willing to sanction it who am I to disagree.

Didnt realise that Fenerbache, one of the top Turkish clubs, are candidates for relegation this year.

Presume they still have money though

They are in an utter mess, awful manager, terrible players and ffp is destroying Turkish league due to the revenue they get from domestic league. This is exactly why you shouldn’t knee jerk sign players cos fans get abit impatient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a right back perhaps, but not as a right wing back which is the system Hasenhuttl is using.

At the moment but its not his preferred system. I actually think Stephens is our best available right back (assuming Cedric does leave) but i agree he's no wing back.

However, he also seems to have determined that our CBs aren't good enough to play a flat back 4.

Do you think a 4-4-2 is harder to play than a 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2, however you want to look at it)? I always think a 3-5-2 is more interesting. However, in some games, I am sure that with subs etc, he has had to revert to a back 4 and it seems to work ok as well.

if RH is willing to sanction it who am I to disagree.

Exactly. I think it augers well that the manager appears to let the squad slowly develop, shows a bit of long term thinking. I’d much rather we muddled through the rest of the season, if it means getting the right bloke in come the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. I think it augers well that the manager appears to let the squad slowly develop, shows a bit of long term thinking. I’d much rather we muddled through the rest of the season, if it means getting the right bloke in come the summer.

Muddle through? I thought we were relegated because Cedric is leaving.[emoji6]

"Muddle through" is a pretty complacent approach to a relegation battle, IMHO.

The board seem to now be giving the signs that there will be some sort of massive overhaul in the summer as a justification for lack of activity this window. It’s not that easy. We weren’t able to (permanently) shift Clasie, Boufal or Carrillo in the summer, so what makes them think we’ll be able to get rid of them, plus the utter dross of Hoedt and Elyounoussi, this coming summer?

However, he also seems to have determined that our CBs aren't good enough to play a flat back 4.

When has he said this?

In the 10 games from Cardiff onwards we have played a back 4 in 4 of them, starting with the Cardiff game and including the 2 matches against Derby, and a back 5 in the other 6.

In the 10 games from Cardiff onwards we have played a back 4 in 4 of them, starting with the Cardiff game and including the 2 matches against Derby, and a back 5 in the other 6.

That doesn't say anything about his opinion on our CBs. To me it has more to do with our weakness at DM, plenty of decent B2B midfielders but no Wanyama type shield to properly protect the CBs. Romeu comes closest but he lacks mobility. So we use 3 CBs to compensate.

That doesn't say anything about his opinion on our CBs. To me it has more to do with our weakness at DM, plenty of decent B2B midfielders but no Wanyama type shield to properly protect the CBs. Romeu comes closest but he lacks mobility. So we use 3 CBs to compensate.

So whilst it is not Ralph's 'preferred' system, it is the one he has decided must be used without strengthening the DM position, which we don't look like doing before the summer. Consequently we have to use wing backs, and having Valery as #1 with Ramsey as cover weakens the squad, ( IMO ).

I would give Stephens a go at the DM role - he’s got he ability with the ball and the engine to take the ball forward and then get back to cover if it all goes wrong.

Romeu is great defensively and can pass the ball - he’s jus not got the pace or engine to get up and down the pitch which Ralph seems to be keen on

So whilst it is not Ralph's 'preferred' system, it is the one he has decided must be used without strengthening the DM position, which we don't look like doing before the summer. Consequently we have to use wing backs, and having Valery as #1 with Ramsey as cover weakens the squad, ( IMO ).

Think Lemina has played RWB before at Juventus or Marseille so might see him there if needed (JWP plays there too though not particularly well). Wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get a CB in the summer but got a dynamic DM instead but right now 3 CBs and wing backs gets the best out of what we have and may have played a part in the decision to cut Cedric loose now since his attacking contribution is fairly limited anyway.

This

The Mirror has linked Saints and Wolves to the LB Rogerio...

Wolves vs Saints for defender

Wolves and Southampton are ready to fight it out for Brazilian defender Rogerio.

Wolves are prepared to offer £12million for Rogerio, who is on loan at Serie A side Sassuolo from Juventus.

Southampton are also keen on the left-back, who has been capped by Brazil at Under-17 and Under-20 level.

Rogerio, 21, has yet to play a senior game for Juventus and also spent last season on loan at Sassuolo.

The South American is enjoying a fine campaign and has made 20 appearances for Sassuolo in Serie A and the Coppa Italia.

Newcastle were also monitoring his situation before signing Jordan Lukaku on loan from Lazio.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-live-liverpool-manchester-13900072 @ 16:59

Exactly.

We buy before we sell “**** sake Saints, now we can’t shift Player X as team know we are desperate to get rid, done it the wrong way round!!”

We sell before we buy “**** sake Saints, now we can’t get a replacement in for Player X as team know we are desperate to buy, done it the wrong way round!!”

[emoji23]

The best bet is to sell and buy a replacement at exactly the same time. Just like a hostage swap situation.

Exactly.

We buy before we sell “**** sake Saints, now we can’t shift Player X as team know we are desperate to get rid, done it the wrong way round!!”

We sell before we buy “**** sake Saints, now we can’t get a replacement in for Player X as team know we are desperate to buy, done it the wrong way round!!”

[emoji23]

Er, no. Forster wasn't a first choice front line player. It's pretty obvious to anyone in the industry that we were trying to move him on. Signing Gunn made zero difference to this obvious fact. Zero.

Cedric is the best right back at the club.

Letting Forster go (or not) makes no difference to the first team, letting Cedric go does. Not that difficult.

Edited by CB Fry

After reading this in Ralph's Sky interview maybe Ralph is a manager who prefers a smaller squad you get the feeling he is using this window to weed out those elements of the squad that don't fit for him.

"It's a package. If you find a young player who has potential and quality then we'll think about a transfer. The more important thing in this transfer period is to give players away, to have a committed group that is not too big."

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Cedric is the best right back at the club.

Letting Forster go (or not) makes no difference to the first team, letting Cedric go does. Not that difficult.

Best in what way exactly? Defending the back post? Heading? Putting crosses into the same post code as the strikers? He really isn't any great loss.