The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Have to believe we are clearing the decks of wages to accommodate 1 or 2 big signings. With Cedric and Austin gone, that would be a lot of wages off the books. This could be balanced against sizeable wages and 6 months amortisation on new signings, more suited to ralph’s style.

Like others, more than happy to wait until end of window before melting down / wetting the bed.

No issues with those gone or on their way out but we do need a couple of high quality players, ready start and play in the manner RH wants. Leaving that until the summer is a gamble. As good as Ralph seems to be, we can’t expect him to keep squeezing the same from what he has.

Irrespective of whether Arnautovic stays or goes, I think you nailed it. Every now and then we need to replace an "A" player with an "A" player. For too long we have diluted the quality nearly costing us our PL place.

I think Adam Leitch suggested this was something the club were looking at in the summer, to have less parity on wages and get a few stars who are outright better players on bigger money. Let's hope so.

Indeed! I think the problem we've had is I'm not sure I'd trust us to get a really good expensive player in. I'm hoping Ralph will change that.

Do you honestly think RH would of become our manager if we were going to sell some big players and recruit in none?

The true fact is that those that have left or are going to leave will not take us to the next level.

If RH brings in some attacking and energetic players then this team can really go places.

Do you honestly think RH would of become our manager if we were going to sell some big players and recruit in none?

The true fact is that those that have left or are going to leave will not take us to the next level.

If RH brings in some attacking and energetic players then this team can really go places.

Yeah. Ralph has said about 3000 times he wants a smaller squad.

Well who other than RH knows really? Me if I was out of work and someone offered me a longish deal on good money, I would take it even if they asked me to cut the grass at the end of every game, particularly if I believed in my own abilities.

As I said in an earlier post it's not about the long term strategy, which I completely buy in to, rather how much do you risk in the Jan transfer period versus longer the term? RH has achieved a minor miracle so far - do we really want to push our luck much further? I remain hopeful until the window closes.

One thing I guarantee is that if we get relegated, they very people who are behind this blind/complete (take your pick) support of club/RH (again take your pick) strategy, will be the very first critics of same.

As some have said, I will wait until end of the transfer window before jumping the gun, and indeed am all for removing the deadwood etc.

I would just rather we did some of this in the summer once we are safe - not all just some. RH has been great so far, and you could argue too good - in that no one would have expected such an extraordinary transformation in such a short time (specially given our recent record with both manager and player recruitment). Prior to RH, let's face most of us were expecting the worst. Can we really expect RH to continue this miracle, or rather better it with less and less resources? More importantly, do we need to take the risk?

Up until the Cedric deal, and now the rumored Austin move, I was fine. However, we are still very much in a relegation fight and are our finances so poor that we need €500K loan fee and wages more than Ced as a backup (fine don't have him starting) in case the youngsters start to struggle? Same with Austin - can't believe we will get much for him? RH said recently he saw Austin as important player for some of the game - presumably last 10 to 15 mins if we needed a goal to rescue us? Have further clear outs in the summer once we are safe, even if we get less - let's face it, it will cost us a dam sight more if we are relegated.

Anyway let's see what the final situation is on 1st Feb is

Agree with all of that.

Not a big loss and great if we can get a replacement. He always struck me as a bit of a bell end. Seems like Ralph is getting rid of the egos in him Cedric and Hoedt. Good strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Austin went, and we brought in a RB and Striker/wide forward in the next week, would it be a successful window?

Cedric - 60k

Gabbiadini - 80k

Hoedt - 60k

Davis - 60k

Austin - 80k

That's a saving of £18m per year just on wages, and a potential £30m in future transfer fees.

It's what we all so in Football Manager, you sell the large earners for whatever you can, and use the wage room to bring in less but better players.

We then have the rest to potentially sell on or come back:

Carrillo - 50k

Boufal - 60k

Clasie - 50k

Another potential £8.5m in wages, and £22m in transfer fees.

Add that to next years budget and we may have a decent amount to all Ralph to build his own squad.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

If Austin went, and we brought in a RB and Striker/wide forward in the next week, would it be a successful window?

Cedric - 60k

Gabbiadini - 80k

Hoedt - 60k

Davis - 60k

Austin - 80k

That's a saving of £18m per year just on wages, and a potential £30m in future transfer fees.

It's what we all so in Football Manager, you sell the large earners for whatever you can, and use the wage room to bring in less but better players.

We then have the rest to potentially sell on or come back:

Carrillo - 50k

Boufal - 60k

Clasie - 50k

Another potential £8.5m in wages, and £22m in transfer fees.

Add that to next years budget and we may have a decent amount to all Ralph to build his own squad.

Nice information and three class players is all we need next season.

I know many great players played under RH is his previous clubs and I don’t see wh he can’t get a couple in.

I'm struggling to understand the mass hysteria about players leaving.

We have a bloated squad and it strikes me that Ralph and the club are addressing this.

We want to create pathways for the youngsters. We can't do this if there is an experienced highly payed player in the way. Yes the youngsters may be raw, but only through experience will they learn.

I don't see how we can address these issues without letting players go without replacing them?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

We have a bloated squad and it strikes me that Ralph and the club are addressing this.

We want to create pathways for the youngsters. We can't do this if there is an experienced highly payed player in the way. Yes the youngsters may be raw, but only through experience will they learn.

I don't see how we can address these issues without letting players go without replacing them?

maybe we should allow Hoj to leave. Got to let Slattery have a go.

Also, where is this mass hysteria?

Edited by Batman

I think the point is that we get rid of players who, long- or short-term, don't fit into RH's system or who are not contributing what we need. Hoj clearly does not fit either of those categories. But then I think you knew that.

I don't see much "mass hysteria'. Just concern that we don't leave ourselves exposed in some areas having to play youth players not really ready for a premier league relegation battle.

If the Cedric and Austin departures are confirmed, but we sign a replacement senior right back and a quick player in attack to provide insurance if Redmond were to be injured or lose form, I think everyone would be happy with the window. That would still be an overall reduction in squad size, but without leaving us exposed in a relegation battle.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hojbjerg is first choice.

Cedric wasn't first choice

Gabbi wasn't first choice

Hoedt wasn't first choice

Davis wasn't first choice.

Austin isn't first choice.

Agree entirely. We have wanted academy players to have a chance and they wont get the chance while 'dead wood' blocks the way. Staplewood must be buzzing with new optimism, this all adds to the feel good factor which has been missing

Exactly..on this forum we have players who are crap when we have them and yet a disastrous loss if we get rid.

Just need Forster out the door And we have six less to worry about all week on the training pitch

Ridiculous comment. Hoj is clearly an important player to Ralph. Austin, Cedric, Hoedt and Gabbi clearly aren't / weren't.

I agree with StrangelyBrown. We have a squad bloated with overpaid mediocrity. Of course we need to shift those players. I agree that the hysteria around players leaving, who are not fancied by Ralph, is pathetic.

Let's be honest, it's improbable that players are being sold from over him. Instead, the rubbish he doesn't want is being moved on and inevitably he'll get to bring in his kind of players (ability, athletically and mentality wise) at some point.

Imo we needed a bit of a revolution in terms of management, playing staff, playing style and involvement of youth. We're getting that and i for one happy to see it continuing.

I don't see much "mass hysteria'. Just concern that we don't leave ourselves exposed in some areas having to play youth players not really ready for a premier league relegation battle.

If the Cedric and Austin departures are confirmed, but we sign a replacement senior right back and a quick player in attack to provide insurance if Redmond were to be injured or lose form, I think everyone would be happy with the window. That would still be an overall reduction in squad size, but without leaving us exposed in a relegation battle.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Exactly this. No mass hysteria just understandable concern based on the premise that we don't bring anyone in. Hopefully we will, but we haven't yet so it's a perfectly legitimate concern.

Exactly this. No mass hysteria just understandable concern based on the premise that we don't bring anyone in. Hopefully we will, but we haven't yet so it's a perfectly legitimate concern.

The only 'concern' appears to be from people who on one hand say 'in Ralph we trust' but by expressing concern appear to be saying 'we don't trust Ralph'.

I'm confused but my faith is in an actual quality football manager, rather than clueless keyboard managers.

The only 'concern' appears to be from people who on one hand say 'in Ralph we trust' but by expressing concern appear to be saying 'we don't trust Ralph'.

I'm confused but my faith is in an actual quality football manager, rather than clueless keyboard managers.

who? quote them

who? quote them

Every poster expressing concern about players being shipped out, I'll go out on a limb and say with Ralph's approval, is questioning Ralph's judgement in allowing those players to move on. If there's another interpretation then spell it out to me.

And batman knows this full well and is being a trolling facetious cretin. And he knows it. But can’t bring himself to admit it. Sad really.

Yes everyone who has expressed any 'concern' about transfers on this website has also said "in Ralph we trust" on this website and it is impossible to think Ralph is a good manager but at the same time be a bit worried that if we sell - for example - Cedric and don't bring in another full back we might be a bit short in that area.

BUT all are experienced and seasoned pros who - possibly with the exception of Hoedt - all add something to a squad in relegation trouble.

Its all very well selling these established pros who are on over blown wages to bring in money to strengthn but we havent, we have loaned them out in an effort to save what, in the scheme of things, is peanuts. A squad over haul in the summer is brilliant, just what we need but to get rid of some of these players in January to save a few quid is a dangerous exercise unless a couple of faces do come in by the end of Thursday.

If we have a bad run and the kids go to bits the team will be calling out for old heads who can come in, do a job, and settle the nerves.

Relegation would cost a hell of a lot more than the savings they are making over the next few months especially if this lot come back in May because they arent wanted.

I think the board are being naieve.

Manager Ralph won't be the one responsible for getting new signings in (it hasn't been the managers responsibility for a long time and Les going hasn't changed that) that will be down to wee Ross and chairman Ralph I can see why that would concern people...

BUT all are experienced and seasoned pros who - possibly with the exception of Hoedt - all add something to a squad in relegation trouble.

Its all very well selling these established pros who are on over blown wages to bring in money to strengthn but we havent, we have loaned them out in an effort to save what, in the scheme of things, is peanuts. A squad over haul in the summer is brilliant, just what we need but to get rid of some of these players in January to save a few quid is a dangerous exercise unless a couple of faces do come in by the end of Thursday.

If we have a bad run and the kids go to bits the team will be calling out for old heads who can come in, do a job, and settle the nerves.

Relegation would cost a hell of a lot more than the savings they are making over the next few months especially if this lot come back in May because they arent wanted.

I think the board are being naieve.

You really don’t get it do you..we are offloading cos Hassenhütl wants a smaller squad to concentrate on and execute his playing style. None of the released players suit his style end of so keeping them will do more harm than good.

to be honest I'm not sure I really believe this talk that Ralph wants a smaller squad or the squad is to big, I think maybes he is just being a club mouthpiece with this talk.. I mean what manager wouldn't want to have more options ? its just common logic.

the only way that I can see this being a good thing in trimming the squad down is if its being done to bring a couple of quality additions, other wise we are probably better off having more backup

You really don’t get it do you..we are offloading cos Hassenhütl wants a smaller squad to concentrate on and execute his playing style. None of the released players suit his style end of so keeping them will do more harm than good.

No i do "get it" and to be honest I was ok with what was going on up until Cedric. I think losing him and Austin is one step too far. Trim by all means - especially in the summer as I said - but bare bones in a relegation battle is very brave. A couple of injuries and what happens then ? Ramsay or Cedric come in - umm, let me think ? No choice now though is there !

Manager Ralph won't be the one responsible for getting new signings in (it hasn't been the managers responsibility for a long time and Les going hasn't changed that) that will be down to wee Ross and chairman Ralph I can see why that would concern people...

Ralph is a coup for us. We'll want to keep him. It's very naive to even suggest he will not have a huge say in the players leaving and available to him. If not, we'll lose him very soon.

Feels like we are prepping for relegation by shifting expensive / dead wood players, and giving the youth a go.

If we can do this and stay up then woohoo!

Do you REALLY believe this. We aren't in the bottom three and do you REALLY believe that we would appoint a manager like RH (who many said was above us) and immediately tell him "Prepare for relegation?".... [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Copied from the "Squad 2018/19" thread, and edited to remove those we know have gone, or look likely to go, ( plus FF, who almost certainly isn't going to play );

1. Alex McCarthy

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jannik Vestergaard

5. Jack Stephens

7. Shane Long

8. Matt Targett

9. Danny Ings

11. Mohamed Elyounoussi

12. Jan Bednarek

13. Angus Gunn

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Sam Gallagher

16. James Ward-Prowse

17. Stuart Armstrong

18. Mario Lemina

19. Marcus Barnes

21. Ryan Bertrand

22. Nathan Redmond

23. Pierre Højbjerg

25. Jack Rose

26. Ryan Seager

27. Jake Hesketh

Is this group strong enough / good enough for the rest of the season if there are no incoming players ?

Feels like we are prepping for relegation by shifting expensive / dead wood players, and giving the youth a go.

If we can do this and stay up then woohoo!

Your comment makes no logical sense. Deadwood indicates they don't play or have rarely under Ralph.

This is true of

Hoedt, Davis, Gabbi. Cedric usually only played if, Target, Bertrand or Valery weren't playing. Austin hasn't played much at all.

All we are doing is shifting the overpaid subs or players that clearly don't want to be aboard the train. The amount of stick Cedric & Austin get and the limited amount of times they feature in peoples starting XI's, it's now very odd they are now hailed as brilliant players.

Your comment makes no logical sense. Deadwood indicates they don't play or have rarely under Ralph.

This is true of

Hoedt, Davis, Gabbi. Cedric usually only played if, Target, Bertrand or Valery weren't playing. Austin hasn't played much at all.

All we are doing is shifting the overpaid subs or players that clearly don't want to be aboard the train. The amount of stick Cedric & Austin get and the limited amount of times they feature in peoples starting XI's, it's now very odd they are now hailed as brilliant players.

strawman.jpg?w=349&h=283

Copied from the "Squad 2018/19" thread, and edited to remove those we know have gone, or look likely to go, ( plus FF, who almost certainly isn't going to play );

1. Alex McCarthy

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jannik Vestergaard

5. Jack Stephens

7. Shane Long

8. Matt Targett

9. Danny Ings

11. Mohamed Elyounoussi

12. Jan Bednarek

13. Angus Gunn

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Sam Gallagher

16. James Ward-Prowse

17. Stuart Armstrong

18. Mario Lemina

19. Marcus Barnes

21. Ryan Bertrand

22. Nathan Redmond

23. Pierre Højbjerg

25. Jack Rose

26. Ryan Seager

27. Jake Hesketh

Is this group strong enough / good enough for the rest of the season if there are no incoming players ?

That list ignores anyone u23 doesn’t it which is a bit silly when asking that question when a number of them have been involved by Ralph.

from Nixon

Stories tomorrow on: Arsenal Barnsley Birmingham Chelsea Coventry Palace Doncaster Fulham Hull Leeds Liverpool Luton Man C Man U Newcastle Newport Pompey Rochdale Sheff W Southampton Stoke Swansea WBA Wigan NO Q AND A ON THOSE

He's been fairly consistent on us wanting a centre-back. So wonder if it's an update on that.

That list ignores anyone u23 doesn’t it which is a bit silly when asking that question when a number of them have been involved by Ralph.

Even so if you take out rose,hesketh,Barnes and seager who aren’t good enough that’s one hell of a thin squad for a team in our position

Even so if you take out rose,hesketh,Barnes and seager who aren’t good enough that’s one hell of a thin squad for a team in our position

Is it thin? Looks like 2 for every position to me.

Granted some clearly aren’t good enough and ability wise, it is thin, but the squad size is still too big imo.

I suspect Ralph, next season, will want a solid reliable 15 then the rest made up of U23’s

Is it thin? Looks like 2 for every position to me.

Granted some clearly aren’t good enough and ability wise, it is thin, but the squad size is still too big imo.

I suspect Ralph, next season, will want a solid reliable 15 then the rest made up of U23’s

I think you're right. Squad is still heavy.

Forster not involved.

Carrillo / Boufal / Clasie / Reed / Davis / Hoedt all out on loan.

Big, big, big money being paid for people who (mostlyl) aren't in the managers plans.