The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Ha ha he looks exactly what we need, strong and quick with a few tricks and a bit of composure.

Not sure when we last had a striker with those attributes.

has that tall pacy style looks similar to a prime anelka or aubameyang.. really hope we go in for him but u know deep down it will be Che Adams

Ok... So here is What I have been told.

Cedric/Maehle: The most long-running and still the most likely. We were hoping to have either Hoedt or Cedric gone for a reasonable (permanent) fee, or obligation to buy. That didn't happen, so now we have the complication of two defenders possibly coming back. We are still trying to get this over the line, but now have to structure our offer differently.

Che Adams: Has been looked at for a potential summer signing (but only as potential, not number 1), but after Mepham was snapped up by Bournemouth we are now more cagey about waiting on our targets. If we can get him under a decently structured deal, and Jean-Kévin Augustin doesn't come off, this will go ahead. But right now looks like agents bigging it up trying to create a market.

Jean-Kévin Augustin. Dream signing, but very unlikely. would take a chuck out the Summer transfer Budget, and RB feel that certain parties are playing a media game right now. I saw on the thread someone post that RB are likely to drop their price, but I have been told the exact opposite.

Unnamed Winger/outside forward: Hasn't been named in press so won't spill the beans here. I've never heard of him, But I hadn't heard of RH so, I guess that doesn't mean much. Seems to have the required pace and power, but the Premier league is pretty unique, so will be interesting to see if he makes the step up.

Cedric/Maehle: The most long-running and still the most likely. We were hoping to have either Hoedt or Cedric gone for a reasonable (permanent) fee, or obligation to buy. That didn't happen, so now we have the complication of two defenders possibly coming back. We are still trying to get this over the line, but now have to structure our offer differently.

Che Adams: Has been looked at for a potential summer signing (but only as potential, not number 1), but after Mepham was snapped up by Bournemouth we are now more cagey about waiting on our targets. If we can get him under a decently structured deal, and Jean-Kévin Augustin doesn't come off, this will go ahead. But right now looks like agents bigging it up trying to create a market.

Jean-Kévin Augustin. Dream signing, but very unlikely. would take a chuck out the Summer transfer Budget, and RB feel that certain parties are playing a media game right now. I saw on the thread someone post that RB are likely to drop their price, but I have been told the exact opposite.

Unnamed Winger/outside forward: Hasn't been named in press so won't spill the beans here. I've never heard of him, But I hadn't heard of RH so, I guess that doesn't mean much. Seems to have the required pace and power, but the Premier league is pretty unique, so will be interesting to see if he makes the step up.

Top man cheers

Cheers for updates, Guan.

Anything on Ollie Watkins? Is the un-named bloke likely to happen then?

Cheers Guan - looks like an interesting couple of days ahead

Thanks C̶a̶b̶b̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶F̶a̶c̶e̶, Guan for the update.

Thanks for the update Guan.

Cheers Gman won't be holding my breath for any though haha

ITK?

Cheers mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a goal scorer, if you play a system where all he has to do is get his arse in the penalty box at every opportunity he will score goals. Doesn’t surprise me if four clubs are in for him.

Doesn't surprise me either. But (like Hoedt/Cedric) loan deals appeal more.

We clearly need the cash. Loans seem way easier to negotiate.

Quite possible, yes! I'm terrible at assessing players but I wanted to add a bit to the description of Poulsen. He might develop a lot more as you say, and I would love to see him at the club. But for now he is not a real goal-getter...

Well, to underline my poor scouting skills, Poulsen seems to have improved immensely in front of goal...

I'm no expert at German, but it seems that Poulsen was in the team of the week in the Bundesliga for the 4th time after an impressive display against Düsseldorf where he scored a brace. He impressed so much that he was also chosen as player of the week in the entire Bundesliga: http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/spieltag/1-bundesliga/2018-19/19/spieler-des-tages.html. In terms of ratings, he is 44th out of 204 rated players in the league - 10th in the strikers table. On the combined goals/assists table he is joint 7th with 10 goals and 4 assists in 19 games.

Under Hasenhüttl, Augustin was preferred to Poulsen, but under Rangnick it seems Poulsen is ahead of Augustin. He is really improving a lot this season.

Did the trail go cold on this one?

Interesting stuff, thanks.

246 in 434 in his career shows he is definitely a goal scorer
Indeed. Definitely a goalscorer but becoming more limited as time goes by due to his lack of mobility. If he finds a team where his job is just to get in the box and they can create the chances for him, he could still do a job for now though. Hope he finds that club and we can bring in a forward more suited to Ralph's game plan.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

34 premier league goals in his career. Let's not get carried away. His career goal record is good in a way Billy Sharp's is good.

He'd have done a lot better 10-20 years ago at this level, but too many defences are just too fast and Austin has zero skill or pace to beat a man. Can't expect starts when you can't hold the ball up and your passing is poor. He's half the player Pelle was for us.

Well, if we're talking just Premier League goals Danny Ings only has 21 so far. Just saying. There aren't that many players who play for teams like Saints who score shed loads of Premier League goals throughout their careers. How many premier League goals has Billy Sharp got?

Look, I'm not saying Charlie Austin is a great player, far from it. But he's not as terrible as some on here like to make out and he does know how to put the ball in the net. Which puts him above a number of others who have graced the Saints forward line in the last few seasons. I agree it's time for him to move on now though.

If we were able to get Adams and Maehle this window, as well as shipping out Austin, that would be decent business. If Augustin continues to have limited game time at RB then the summer will bring a lower transfer fee so might be better to wait.

If we were able to get Adams and Maehle this window, as well as shipping out Austin, that would be decent business. If Augustin continues to have limited game time at RB then the summer will bring a lower transfer fee so might be better to wait.
Agree. Think most would be more than happy with that if it comes off. If I was being greedy, I'd have liked to see an improvement at centre back, but appreciate that it's tough to get the right man in January and not getting shot of Hoedt on a permanent deal makes it more difficult still. Guess we will have to stick with 3 at the back for now until we can get a more solid CB in the summer.

Moving Forster on would also have been good - maybe a loan out somewhere could still happen?

Please can we just sign someone

I'm actually in 2 minds. Of course it would be great to improve the team by buying in players, but.....

It really struck me last season more than any other, when Man City came to SMS. I looked at them, with maybe only Sterling coming on late on, as the sole English player they had. Now that's nothing new, Arsenal and Chelsea have had non-English teams before, but I got thinking, what actually are their supporters supporting? A group of players that have no connection to the club other than picking up their pay, and who would be happy enough to go elsewhere if the pay was better. While Saints will likely never reach that stage, is that really what people want? A team that has no connection to the club/city beyond money?

There is of course a balance to be had. Poch had it right. Bring through the players from the academy. It worked well. Not all the time, but enough. Ralph seems to be doing the same, although I think Poch's academy was probably better. We may not win every game - we're never going to anyway. But for me, I find it more fulfilling to watch players we have brought through. What did ML want - 75% was it? That's possibly too many. But say 4 out of 11 is really nice to watch.

I'm actually in 2 minds. Of course it would be great to improve the team by buying in players, but.....

It really struck me last season more than any other, when Man City came to SMS. I looked at them, with maybe only Sterling coming on late on, as the sole English player they had. Now that's nothing new, Arsenal and Chelsea have had non-English teams before, but I got thinking, what actually are their supporters supporting? A group of players that have no connection to the club other than picking up their pay, and who would be happy enough to go elsewhere if the pay was better. While Saints will likely never reach that stage, is that really what people want? A team that has no connection to the club/city beyond money?

There is of course a balance to be had. Poch had it right. Bring through the players from the academy. It worked well. Not all the time, but enough. Ralph seems to be doing the same, although I think Poch's academy was probably better. We may not win every game - we're never going to anyway. But for me, I find it more fulfilling to watch players we have brought through. What did ML want - 75% was it? That's possibly too many. But say 4 out of 11 is really nice to watch.

Not really sure about the relevance of having English players or not in the side. Club football is not representative football. It’s a long time since the academy was stuffed with local or English players, and indeed why does it need to be. The players are playing for Southampton Football Club........

There is of course a balance to be had. Poch had it right. Bring through the players from the academy. It worked well. Not all the time, but enough. Ralph seems to be doing the same, although I think Poch's academy was probably better. We may not win every game - we're never going to anyway. But for me, I find it more fulfilling to watch players we have brought through. What did ML want - 75% was it? That's possibly too many. But say 4 out of 11 is really nice to watch.[/quote

I think most of us struggle with this one. Modern day football is how you describe it above and unless you are one of the truly rich clubs then you have to live with being the also fans... I find it hard as a sports fan to accept you play but can’t win. I also like seeing the days when we turn out and over perform. I remember the Arsenal fans in Cardiff saying it was just another day for them because they had been to a cup final several years on trot. They will never have truly great experience and that feeling when it all goes right as we do.

So I’m with you on this. I really like the manager’s approach and style and sure we will see something great given time and being able to keep him here for a while. I agree that we should strengthen the academy and development but we should look to do what we used to do in England and recruit and develop the best young players in the world. Think the map of recruitment has just widened

Well, if we're talking just Premier League goals Danny Ings only has 21 so far. Just saying. There aren't that many players who play for teams like Saints who score shed loads of Premier League goals throughout their careers. How many premier League goals has Billy Sharp got?

Look, I'm not saying Charlie Austin is a great player, far from it. But he's not as terrible as some on here like to make out and he does know how to put the ball in the net. Which puts him above a number of others who have graced the Saints forward line in the last few seasons. I agree it's time for him to move on now though.

This.

Not really sure about the relevance of having English players or not in the side. Club football is not representative football. It’s a long time since the academy was stuffed with local or English players, and indeed why does it need to be. The players are playing for Southampton Football Club........

I don’t think he's referring as much to English players as players who've come through the saints academy and therefore have that link to the club. Fwiw, I agree with him; I take far more of an interest in that type of player after he leaves than I do of players that joined us as a senior player and then moved on.

Personally think we won't sign anyone. Reasons being:

1. We have little money

2. There are three days left and the players we want play for clubs who don't want to sell and have no time to get a replacement in. Sounds familiar!

3. Ross Wilson and Ralph Krueger have a long history of poor transfer windows, especially in January

Got to love saints January windows

Get players out early, leave it till last min before bringing anyone in. Ready the spin machine in case nothing happens

The spin machine works.... As plenty on here fully support the 5 out none in approach.

Presumably people trusting RHs wealth of epl experience and trusting that while we've had a lot of injuries we won't anymore.