The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

I support shipping out the players who he knows he doesn't want, while avoiding any rash January buying to refill the club with dross. He's got plenty of players already at the club that he needs a good look at first.

He can do his buying in the summer, when it can be done properly.

I support shipping out the players who he knows he doesn't want, while avoiding any rash January buying to refill the club with dross. He's got plenty of players already at the club that he needs a good look at first.

Will he be buying for the prem or the championship? Why do most people presume we are free from relegation worries just because we have had a couple of wins lately? Clubs down the bottom will all start to improve as the season goes on. It will be a long hard fight yet. A few injuries in key positions and we'll be right up against it.

Will he be buying for the prem or the championship? Why do most people presume we are free from relegation worries just because we have had a couple of wins lately? Clubs down the bottom will all start to improve as the season goes on. It will be a long hard fight yet. A few injuries in key positions and we'll be right up against it.

Spot on!!

This. As you say, would there be so many saying they are happy if we don't sign improved options if we hadn't had the recent boost of a couple of wins? I doubt it. They need to remember, a couple of narrow defeats and we could be right back where we were in the bottom 3. I'm fine with shipping out players that Ralph doesn't want but we shouldn't leave ourselves exposed as looks possible at right back, thinking falsely that the job is done.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Absolutely.

As much as I rate RH, don’t forget we have lost under him as well playing badly. RH still needs a bit more quality in that side to avoid the threat of relegation and I am sure he realises that.

I'd be interested to see what % of our Loan Out players salaries we are still paying.

We could still end up having Cedric and Hoedt back on our books if the clubs don't take up the buy option,

and in Cedrics case only a season left on his contract meaning nobody will offer face value knowing we'd probably cut our losses on him leaving as a free agent at the end of the season.

That one should definitely have been a straight transfer deal, or keep him.

I'm guessing Classie, Boufal and .... er ...ha ha can't even remember his name (the non goal scoring C/F now in Spain with MoPe :rolleyes:) are just on season loans and

are we still paying towards Davis at Rangers?

Unless there are BIG savings we may have been better off keeping one or two to cover injuries rather than pay for them to play elsewhere!!

I'm actually in 2 minds. Of course it would be great to improve the team by buying in players, but.....

It really struck me last season more than any other, when Man City came to SMS. I looked at them, with maybe only Sterling coming on late on, as the sole English player they had. Now that's nothing new, Arsenal and Chelsea have had non-English teams before, but I got thinking, what actually are their supporters supporting? A group of players that have no connection to the club other than picking up their pay, and who would be happy enough to go elsewhere if the pay was better. While Saints will likely never reach that stage, is that really what people want? A team that has no connection to the club/city beyond money?

There is of course a balance to be had. Poch had it right. Bring through the players from the academy. It worked well. Not all the time, but enough. Ralph seems to be doing the same, although I think Poch's academy was probably better. We may not win every game - we're never going to anyway. But for me, I find it more fulfilling to watch players we have brought through. What did ML want - 75% was it? That's possibly too many. But say 4 out of 11 is really nice to watch.

I agree with much of what you say and I am not so worried if we do not sign anybody this window.

The most important signing we have already made is Ralph, and his strategy and vision is something I quite happily buy into. While I agree the academy at his disposal is currently perhaps not as good as what was available to Poch, youngsters seeing what opportunities they might get under Ralph may well choose us over others in the future and our academy could well move back towards the top of the tree again.

I too like seeing young talent given it's chance to flourish, and this seems to be the start of a new ere here which I am looking forward to.

The targets we have are OK on the face of it, but I doubt we will see Maelhe this window noting he is a key part of Genk's team that are 10 points clear at the top of the Belgian league, and as already discussed Brum will be fighting hard not to let Adams go as they cannot replace him at the moment. Also as a poster has mentioned, is he much different to Obafemi anyway? Do we really need him?

Agustin is a summer transfer if we want him and not for this window noting the price tag.

Those moved on or loaned out are all players who have attracted the fans ire in the recent past and surely will not be missed. After all we are not selling PEH, Redmond or Bedanrek are we?

Altogether we have enough to reach mid table security and we have a manager the fans buy into for the first time since RonKo, and would trust his judgement.

There seems to be an assumption that if we want Agustin in the summer, then we just simply buy him. Are we assuming no one else will want him?

You'd think that if he liked playing under Ralph, and he wants to play in the premier league, he'll likely choose us over any other "mid-table" clubs.

Personally think we won't sign anyone. Reasons being:

1. We have little money

2. There are three days left and the players we want play for clubs who don't want to sell and have no time to get a replacement in. Sounds familiar!

3. Ross Wilson and Ralph Krueger have a long history of poor transfer windows, especially in January

We might not be the richest club in the league, but I don't think funds is the key concern.It's about having so many players out on loan who we are still paying a percentage of their salary. If we can shift them permanently for a fee that obviously puts funds in the pot and reduces the salary bill, but also means we know that they won't be back again in June posing a problem for us in terms of squad places.

As much as I rate RH, don’t forget we have lost under him as well playing badly.

He's lost 2 PL games, v West Ham and Man City. Agree we didn't play particularly well in either game, especially vs West Ham. But, looking back at both games, I think its reasonable to say that the new levels of intensity and fitness than RH was attempting to inject into the team had started to catch up with them. The players looked particularly jaded vs West Ham, a game we had to play without the resurgent Hojbjerg. I didn't think we lost "badly" vs Man City per se. We were done by 2 quickfire goals on the stroke of half time. (Yes, I accept that City had a few more gears to go up if they had wanted to).

As I say, I think those two "bad" results can largely be put down to it being early days in Ralph's regime and the players not being able to cope with the levels of intensity that he demanded, especially with the congested fixture schedule in December. Now that the players are much fitter, and more used to RH's approach, I don't think we can use those two results as a benchmark for the future. Indeed, I'm confident that if we played those two matches now, the performance, and possibly the results, would be different. (And, no, I'm not saying that we'll never lose again under RH... of course we will.... I'm just saying that I don't believe we'll lose "badly" again, as per the fixtures you highlighted)

I'm confident we'll finish comfortably in the middle third of the table regardless of this month's transfer activity.

Edited by trousers

I saw this on one of those transfer rumour sites this morning I'm putting it down as most likely bollix but honestly if true I'd find it pretty funny

Chelsea are thought to be preparing a £40m bid to re-sign former Blues defender Nathan Ake.

I think that's his buy-back price so Bournemouth would have no say in it either.

The targets we have are OK on the face of it, but I doubt we will see Maelhe this window noting he is a key part of Genk's team that are 10 points clear at the top of the Belgian league, and as already discussed Brum will be fighting hard not to let Adams go as they cannot replace him at the moment. .

7 points clear with 7 games to go. Mind you he has already appeared in all 23 games for them, so he's likely to get a winner's medal even if he does leave.

He's lost 2 PL games, v West Ham and Man City. Agree we didn't play particularly well in either game, especially vs West Ham. But, looking back at both games, I think its reasonable to say that the new levels of intensity and fitness than RH was attempting to inject into the team had started to catch up with them. The players looked particularly jaded vs West Ham, a game we had to play without the resurgent Hojbjerg. I didn't think we lost "badly" vs Man City per se. We were done by 2 quickfire goals on the stroke of half time. (Yes, I accept that City had a few more gears to go up if they had wanted to).

As I say, I think those two "bad" results can largely be put down to it being early days in Ralph's regime and the players not being able to cope with the levels of intensity that he demanded, especially with the congested fixture schedule in December. Now that the players are much fitter, and more used to RH's approach, I don't think we can use those two results as a benchmark for the future. Indeed, I'm confident that if we played those two matches now, the performance, and possibly the results, would be different. (And, no, I'm not saying that we'll never lose again under RH... of course we will.... I'm just saying that I don't believe we'll lose "badly" again, as per the fixtures you highlighted)

I'm confident we'll finish comfortably in the middle third of the table regardless of this month's transfer activity.

We are currently 10 points off being comfortably in the middle third of the table. I would suggest getting there by season's end would need a Herculean effort, especially given that in the 15 remaining games we have to play Arsenal, Spurs, Man U and Liverpool. I'd say that's pretty optimistic, no?

The assumption that we have enough to avoid relegation is dangerous. Like them or not, the players being shipped out have Premiership experience and provide strength in depth. A few more injuries and suspensions and we are down in Harry’s Land of the bare bones. Hopefully we will see a couple coming in. If not and we do get hit with more injuries and suspensions we are going to have to rely on the academy players to get us the points to stay up! Squeaky bum time!

We are currently 10 points off being comfortably in the middle third of the table. I would suggest getting there by season's end would need a Herculean effort, especially given that in the 15 remaining games we have to play Arsenal, Spurs, Man U and Liverpool. I'd say that's pretty optimistic, no?

Yes, its optimistic. I thoroughly recommend the concept of optimism to my fellow human beings (especially to the Saintsweb forum pessimistic brigade ;) )

(p.s. we're actually 8 points off mid-table, which is what I would define as 'comfortable' in the middle third. Your 10 points catch-up target would put us around 8th place, which is towards the top end of my middle third comfort zone.)

Edited by trousers

Tottenham consider move for Leicester City target Youri Tielemans:

Tottenham Hotspur are weighing up a dramatic bid to try to hijack Leicester City’s move for Monaco midfielder Youri Tielemans.

Leicester have been closing in on a deal to sign Tielemans on loan until the end of the season, but Spurs have now shown an interest.

Sources at Monaco claim Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is willing to sanction the move and is now just waiting on the green light from manager Mauricio Pochettino.

Pochettino is keen to boost his midfield options after selling Mousa Dembele and suffering injury problems, but is also wary of signing players before he has created any more space in his squad.

It now remains to be seen whether or not Pochettino will act quickly enough to stop 21-year-old Tielemans joining Leicester before the transfer window shuts on Thursday.

Monaco are open to loaning highly-rated Tielemans out or selling him for around £20million. Tielemans is a product of the Anderlecht youth system and has long been rated as one of the best young prospects to come out of Belgium.

He joined Monaco for around £20m in May 2017 and was part of the Belgium squad that reached the semi-finals of last year’s World Cup.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/29/tottenham-consider-move-leicester-city-target-youri-tielemans/

7 points clear with 7 games to go. Mind you he has already appeared in all 23 games for them, so he's likely to get a winner's medal even if he does leave.

With their league, the top 6 play-off for the title. Bonkers system but means their 7 point gap is meaningless. They're certainties for the play-offs, and if they win he will get a medal, but they basically have nothing to play for until May as far as i can work out. In his shoes, I'd probably want to stay for the summer and help win the title his team probably deserve, but then i don't have a large cheque being dangled in front of me, in full knowledge that play-offs are a lottery and the team might not win despite 'winning' the league at a canter?

Personally think we won't sign anyone. Reasons being:

1. We have little money

Bit surprised you think this. In the recent fans forum it was confirmed that all savings from player sales, salaries and tv money could be reinvested in the squad. Combined with the fact that we are virtually debt free that puts us in a better position than most clubs other than those who have sugar daddies (which , thankfully, we don't)

2. There are three days left and the players we want play for clubs who don't want to sell and have no time to get a replacement in. Sounds familiar!

I would only be concerned here if I believed we only started negotiations 3 days before the close of the window. The reality is we probably start before the transfer window actually opens. Selling clubs have plenty of times to devise a strategy in case they lose their best players but will hold out to the last minute if they can. At the end of the day - as we found out - there is often little point in retaining a player against his will

3. Ross Wilson and Ralph Krueger have a long history of poor transfer windows, especially in January

Haha. Thanks for the clarification. I always though it was Les Reed who was the target of the blame game. Ralph has very little to do with transfers other than the discussion that comes beofre the board. Ross Wilson's team will do the work and Toby Steele will lead on contract negotitations (formerly Gareth Rogers).

You may be right about not signing anyone but it will only be because we don't want to be taken to the cleaners in a window where players are traditionally overpiced.

We might not be the richest club in the league, but I don't think funds is the key concern.It's about having so many players out on loan who we are still paying a percentage of their salary. If we can shift them permanently for a fee that obviously puts funds in the pot and reduces the salary bill, but also means we know that they won't be back again in June posing a problem for us in terms of squad places.

Why? We have a majority owner who is short of cash and a minority owner who has charged the club interest on loans, neither of whom looks likely to put any money into the club's transfer kitty. That already puts us at a financial disadvantage against most other Premier League clubs. We also have a number of players on high wages who contribute little or nothing to the team and whom it's proving nigh impossible to sell to other clubs, so we're struggling to raise cash from player sales. So, I'd say that our lack of transfer funds is definitely a concern. I'm sure that Ralph would like to buy certain players in this window but due to the lack of funds he can't.

Just looked it up, did they intend to make it the most complicated league in the world ?

Ok, this is off topic but yeah it seems bonkers.

However ... most leagues lack any level of interest compared to here, Spain, Germany and Italy so I guess they do things to spice things up and get any sort of TV revenue? I'm actually kind of torn. Since the demise of the FA cup we don't have a 'super-bowl' day any more where the whole country sits down and watches the most important game of football of the year - I think you only get that level of interest for a winner-takes-all end of season spectacle, and I do miss the old-style FA Cup final day because of it. You could only have that IMHO with some sort of play-off system. But then how does that work without being A) complicated and B) simply unfair (which I feel play-offs are)? The league winners not being champions simply goes against the whole ethos of what is 'fair'.

But, plenty of sports have it, we operate it for promotion (which is the most valuable game of football in the world) and it generates huge amounts of revenue and interest. It also leaves more teams with something to play for further into the season. Let's face it, we all want Saints to have a wonderful February (and tonight) with 15 points and clear of relegation, but what then are we playing for in March, April and May??

Maybe I've been too influenced by Sky, America, the age of instant gratification or whatever, but I kind of see the point - I'd have been aghast at the very idea a few years ago.

In the meantime, have we signed anyone yet? My desire for insttant gratification means I want us to have spunked millions on a player just cos that's what we should do in January.

Why? We have a majority owner who is short of cash and a minority owner who has charged the club interest on loans, neither of whom looks likely to put any money into the club's transfer kitty. That already puts us at a financial disadvantage against most other Premier League clubs. We also have a number of players on high wages who contribute little or nothing to the team and whom it's proving nigh impossible to sell to other clubs, so we're struggling to raise cash from player sales. So, I'd say that our lack of transfer funds is definitely a concern. I'm sure that Ralph would like to buy certain players in this window but due to the lack of funds he can't.

Can't see there being much to spend in the summer unless we get a big fee for PEH.

Yes, its optimistic. I thoroughly recommend the concept of optimism to my fellow human beings (especially to the Saintsweb forum pessimistic brigade ;) )

(p.s. we're actually 8 points off mid-table, which is what I would define as 'comfortable' in the middle third. Your 10 points catch-up target would put us around 8th place, which is towards the top end of my middle third comfort zone.)

I suppose it's how you divide 20 by 3...

I prefer being pessimistic because an optimist is never pleasantly surprised...

Are we selling him then?

Haven't seen that story

Ralph and Ralph have already said that he is being touted by top clubs in Europe. How many times have you pathetically denied the prospect of anyone being sold in the past only for it to blow up your face?

Ralph and Ralph have already said that he is being touted by top clubs in Europe. How many times have you pathetically denied the prospect of anyone being sold in the past only for it to blow up your face?

Perhaps just the first bit would have been suffice to explain as I haven't seen/heard any of what you mention but carry on with your childish crap... :yawn:

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Villa look to be having a right go. Looking at loan moves for Chalobah as well as Gibson.

@sistoney67: .@AVFCOfficial are considering a loan move for @WatfordFC England midfielder Nathaniel Chalobah. 24-year-old has not started in the Premier League since a home defeat by Manchester City. Villa boss Dean Smith wants midfield options. Burnley’s Ben Gibson also on radar.

Why do posters get annoyed, even angry and hostile toward the Club, if there are no signings? A slimming down of squad and wages is known to be long overdue and posters here have been asking for it for a long time. At last we're getting it. Of course a signing would be welcome but only if exactly what the new management wants, not the random jokers of recent windows. We now have a coach and a philosophy the players are buying into--11th this season, top half next.

I disagree. I don't think it's beyond our means to structure a deal for the transfer fee for the main targets we re being linked to. I think that shifting the players on high wages who are still here (i.e.Foster) or out on loan is the top priority, but not just to bring in transfer funds, rather to ensure that the wage bill doesn't cripple us if we can't sell them.

Why do posters get annoyed, even angry and hostile toward the Club, if there are no signings? A slimming down of squad and wages is known to be long overdue and posters here have been asking for it for a long time. At last we're getting it. Of course a signing would be welcome but only if exactly what the new management wants, not the random jokers of recent windows. We now have a coach and a philosophy the players are buying into--11th this season, top half next.
They get annoyed because they've been sucked into the false hysteria generated, mainly by Sky, trying to make it important to spend as much as possible. Again and again we hear the media talking about clubs needing to spend, and criticising those that don't, as if the spending league actually matters.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk