The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

The Express says we're considering a bid for Rangers captain James Tavernier but Rangers want £8million. Mirror reporting that we've made an £8million bid for Che Adams

Gerrard appeared to shoot down the rumour that Saints are interested in Tavernier when questioned about it after their win against Livingston...

“They’re not looking. We made a call about it this morning and they’re not.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3802295/rangers-james-tavernier-8m-southampton-steven-gerrard/

I’m sorry but it’s nonsense to say something like that now, you just don’t know. I don’t think we will get relegated but any glaring weak link in the side will get exploited in this league. The margins are so fine between success and failure, a weakness in one position could be enough to mean relegation.

Of course you can’t be totally prepared for any injury crisis but it’s wise to have two good options for every position. If Ralph thinks we have it then fine but it may well not be his call and might just be the club penny pinching.

I'm not sure where the notion of penny pinching comes from?

We've spent a small fortune on players who don't get in the side and whose wages we continue to pay. If anything we've been irresponsible with money and have expensive players like Carrillo, Hoedt, boufal, who all appear to be superfluous.

If the club is finally trying to be more responsible, then I'm all for it as long as the strategy is to spend money more wisely - and the is no evidence to suggest this isn't the case.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where the notion of penny pinching comes from?

We've spent a small fortune on players who don't get in the side and whose wages we continue to pay. If anything we've been irresponsible with money and have expensive players like Carrillo, Hoedt, boufal, who all appear to be superfluous.

If the club is finally trying to be more responsible, then I'm all for it as long as the strategy is to spend money more wisely - and the is no evidence to suggest this isn't the case.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Agreed. I read countless posts on here saying that we penny pinch, and that we can't get deals done. On the flip side the complaint is that we have a bloated squad with players on too much money.

The truth is that we do have too many players. We have them as we've got deals over the line. Additionally, we're stuck with certain players cos we over pay them.

I agree that we need to be more responsible. The signs are that we are doing that at last.

The next two days could be crucial to the outlook for the club...not signing anyone could be a master stroke or a bit of a disaster if injuries take a toll. The quality and experience in the squad is paper thin and I suspect the financials are on a minor knife edge. Big gamble and Ralph is has a huge responsibility to make it work. The strategy must be to limp through to the summer...it’s going to be another bumpy ride folks.

Leicester in Tielemens talks:

Leicester City are in talks with Monaco over a possible £20m deal for Youri Tielemans, Sky Sports News understands, as Claude Puel looks to strengthen his midfield options in the last few days of the transfer window.

Leicester have been monitoring Tielemans for some time. He helped Belgium to the semi-finals of the World Cup in Russia, and we are told he would be open to a move to the Premier League.

Agreed. I read countless posts on here saying that we penny pinch, and that we can't get deals done. On the flip side the complaint is that we have a bloated squad with players on too much money.

The truth is that we do have too many players. We have them as we've got deals over the line. Additionally, we're stuck with certain players cos we over pay them.

I agree that we need to be more responsible. The signs are that we are doing that at last.

We’ve spent money only insofar as we’ve been forced to replace players. In recent years, we’ve done it badly. The perception is that other clubs have spent money in addition to what they’ve received in transfer fees where they’ve spotted a need. We have plenty of needs but appear unwilling to invest in the same way. The result is that we’ve been dependent on a business model -buying players with an eye on their resale value- that is fundamentally difficult to sustain and risks burdening the squad with a lot of fools gold.

Edited by shurlock

I also said we’d get Hassenhuttl about 3 weeks before we did

The old cynic in me checked back but you only had two posts between Aug 18 and Jan 19 neither of which referred to Hassenhuttl?

Apologies for doubting but this forum tends to make one somewhat sceptical by default, so nothing personal! :)

aef668bc55111539f5b893cbb7ac6220.jpg

Nixon's track record when it comes to our transfer targets is **** poor.

& now the Echo says we're interested in Adams as well, 24 hours after he broke the story.

Nixon doesn't get everyone right, but he's someone who I'll consider as a decent source of news. (especially considering where he gets his news from).

Edited by SuperSAINT

We’ve spent money only insofar as we’ve been forced to replace players. In recent years, we’ve done it badly. The perception is that other clubs have spent money in addition to what they’ve received in transfer fees where they’ve spotted a need. We have plenty of needs but appear unwilling to invest in the same way. The result is that we’ve been dependent on a business model -buying players with an eye on their resale value- that is fundamentally difficult to sustain and risks burdening the squad with a lot of fools gold.

Yep, we've bought some players who have turned out to be poor acquisitions. However, that's a scouting issue, not a) an inability to secure deals and/or) an unwillingness to spend money on either transfer fees or wages. Those are the 2 big complaints / allegations from fans but both are invalid.

& now the Echo says we're interested in Adams as well, 24 hours after he broke the story.

Nixon doesn't get everyone right, but he's someone who I'll consider as a decent source of news. (especially considering where he gets his news from).

I take everything Nixon says as gospel........

Yep, we've bought some players who have turned out to be poor acquisitions. However, that's a scouting issue, not a) an inability to secure deals and/or) an unwillingness to spend money on either transfer fees or wages. Those are the 2 big complaints / allegations from fans but both are invalid.

The perception is that we can only buy players insofar as we generate enough sales - other clubs don’t appear to operate to the same extent under such a constraint.

West Ham close in on Maxi Gomez for £45m:

WEST HAM SPLASHING £45M?

Celta Vigo striker Maxi Gomez's move to West Ham could be done in the next 24 hours.

West Ham will meet the €50m release clause, according to Sky sources. Although there is still some work to do though to complete the deal.

Celta Vigo are struggling at the wrong end of La Liga and want to keep Gomez until the end of the season and discussions are ongoing over a loan back to Celta until June.

For that to happen, it is thought West Ham want a reduction in what they pay, but there is an increasing confidence the deal can get done.

Mentioned again in conjunction with Rabbi Matondo (along with Bayern Munich though)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/8245198/bayern-munich-transfer-british-starlet-10m-bid-man-city-rabbi-matondo/

This one isn't happening. Matondo is off to Germany.

Man City agree £11.29m fee with Schalke for Rabbi Matondo as another British talent heads to Bundesliga

Manchester City have agreed a €13million fee [£11.29million] with Schalke for the Wales teenage international Rabbi Matondo, the latest young British footballer to seek his fortune in the Bundesliga having decided that his professional development is best served there.

The two clubs are expected to make the announcement in the next few days with just personal terms to be agreed between the 18-year-old and the Bundesliga team, who will face City in the Champions League round of 16 next month. Matondo was capped by Ryan Giggs against Albania in November having taken the opposite childhood journey to the former Manchester United great. Matondo was born in Manchester but his family moved to Cardiff, where he grew up.

There was huge interest in Matondo when it became clear that he would not sign a new contract at City, where his current deal runs out in the summer of next year. While Borussia Monchengladbach, RB Leipzig and Hoffenheim all explored the possibility of a deal it was Schalke who showed the willingness to meet City’s valuation on the player.

There was a late intervention from AC Milan, whose sporting director Leonardo, the former Brazil international, is also keen to tap into the talented new generation of English players and wanted to sign Matondo.

The winger is regarded as one of the quickest of City’s professionals, comparable with Raheem Sterling and Leroy Sane. The Germany international Sane left Schalke for City in August 2016 at 20 years old and his progress has been one of the barriers to Matondo establishing himself as a first team player.

He is still yet to play for the first team at City and like contemporaries Jadon Sancho at Borussia Dortmund and Callum Hudson-Odoi, who wants to leave Chelsea for Bayern Munich, Matondo sees Germany as the place to launch his professional career.

Bundesliga clubs are committing significant resources to picking up the top British teenagers knowing there will always be a market for them back in the Premier League once they have been developed. Matondo was acquired by Manchester City from Cardiff City at 16 for a fee above the Elite Player Performance Plan tariffs.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/28/man-city-agree-1129m-fee-schalke-rabbi-matondo-another-british/

Why would that make a difference?
shouldn't do, and I don't think Monk has too much affection for us. When HR was manager at ours he bragged about phoning Spurs and telling them what a prospect Curtis Davis was. He should have got him to us not another club

The next two days could be crucial to the outlook for the club...not signing anyone could be a master stroke or a bit of a disaster if injuries take a toll. The quality and experience in the squad is paper thin and I suspect the financials are on a minor knife edge. Big gamble and Ralph is has a huge responsibility to make it work. The strategy must be to limp through to the summer...it’s going to be another bumpy ride folks.

TBH, I think our objective has been for some time now to finish above the bottom three with minimum of outlay. Perfect business plan.

TBH, I think our objective has been for some time now to finish above the bottom three with minimum of outlay. Perfect business plan.

Isn’t that every club’s ideal position? I’d be very worried if any club weren’t trying to finish above the relegation places.

What about Jean-Kevin Agustin from Leipzig. Ralph did say in his press conference there were several targets we are looking at.

Yes, probably.

But just a quick uninformed calculation on the back of an envelope and I've come up with this:

JK Agustin , RB Leipzig , in top flight Germany, challenging for Champions League.... his club indicate they want 40m, (but may negotiate at say 20-25m, if we're lucky)

or

Che Adams , Brum, Championship, and by many accounts cash strapped with a transfer embargo, club reject £8m, (but may negotiate at say £12m).

Which on balance do you think we're more likely to go for?

C'mon Saints, prove us all wrong.

Yes, probably.

But just a quick uninformed calculation on the back of an envelope and I've come up with this:

JK Agustin , RB Leipzig , in top flight Germany, challenging for Champions League.... his club indicate they want 40m, (but may negotiate at say 20-25m, if we're lucky)

or

Che Adams , Brum, Championship, and by many accounts cash strapped with a transfer embargo, club reject £8m, (but may negotiate at say £12m).

Which on balance do you think we're more likely to go for?

C'mon Saints, prove us all wrong.

Still hoping it's Agustin :)

Still hoping it's Agustin :)

Serious question though in case anybody knows,why would Lepizig let him go, other than for serious £££ ?.

As another option I watched a review of Watkins at Brentford the other day who we were previously linked with. Looked impressive although not necessarily the same sort of 'pace merchant' as Che Adams.

Serious question though in case anybody knows,why would Lepizig let him go, other than for serious £££ ?.

As another option I watched a review of Watkins at Brentford the other day who we were previously linked with. Looked impressive although not necessarily the same sort of 'pace merchant' as Che Adams.

Apparently he has been made available for transfer as per Nixon's tweet.