The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

I think you are being far too generous to him here. His delivery is consistently dreadful. Never have I seen him put in a cross that looks like it might trouble the opposition defence. They're either rugby-style up and unders, or they go all the way out for a throw in on the other side.

I think this might be one of the reasons behind the decision to get rid. Cedric may or may not be a solid enough defender, but his attacking threat is essentially zero, and if we're playing a wing back system we need someone who can put good balls into the box as well as defend.

He's joint top on assists for us this season with a whopping 2 goals created. He creates 0.7 chances a game which puts him 10th in the team (9th since Davis left).

His delivery is hit and miss. When it goes wrong it often goes spectacularly wrong and sticks in the memory.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17385256.gossip-saints-interested-in-leicesters-islam-slimani/

Saints have expressed an interest in Leicester City's record signing, according to Turkish newspaper Aydin Post.

Fenerbahce are understood to want to end the Algeria striker’s season-long loan deal with them.

But Leicester are reluctant to bring him back so Fenerbahce need another club to take on the loan - and Saints are reportedly interested.

Slimani has scored three goals in 19 appearances for Fenerbahce but none in his last 11, in which he has been booked three times and sent off once.

The 30 year-old has scored seven of his nine goals for Leicester from his 18 starts since moving to the King Power Stadium for £29m from Sporting Lisbon in 2016.

He scored 51 goals in 96 appearances for the Portugese giants.

Edited by trousers

Let's just wait until 1st Feb before we start bashing the club over this. It's entirely possible that this "don't need to replace him" line is just a smokescreen.

If we really are in for this young Danish lad from Genk, we're hardly likely to go shouting about how desperate we are to sign a RB and how much money we've got from the Cedric deal. That would be straight out of the Theresa May negotiation playbook.

Yes, the club has got recent form for selling experienced defenders in the January window and failing to adequately replace them. If they have failed to learn a lesson from that then it could prove costly, but let's wait and see shall we?

I wasn't actually bashing the club I think the squad has way to many overpaid passengers so I'm more than happy for Ralph to trim the squad down to those willing to work hard to his methods.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Not a fan of Cedric but to loan him out for just €500k and not replace this month whilst we are still fighting a relegation battle seems odd to me. Doesn't seem like anyone will come in based on our requirements (young and long term). This worries me as we are one injury to Redmond away from being back in the ****. I'm personally hoping we will pull 1 or 2 signings out of the bag this month that went under the radar.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Well, at least Celta Vigo could have the cash if they want to sign Hoedt & Boufal.

HAMMERS IN GOMEZ TALKS

Talks continue between representatives of West Ham and Celta Vigo over the signing of striker Maxi Gomez, according to Sky sources.

Celta Vigo will not let him go in this window unless his €50m release clause is met in full.

Celta Sporting Director Felipe Minambres said: "I believe that we will retain our most important players because it is the intention of the club to be strong. But with the English you never know.”

West Ham want to sign Gomez regardless of Marko Arnautovic’s future. A potential deal would see the Hammers break their record £35m, plus add-ons, deal to sign Felipe Anderson in the summer.

He's improved the team a hell of a lot during an injury and suspension crisis. If we can't afford or get the right targets in January so be it. It's also more difficult to convince players when they might be entering a relegation battle.

Cedric is a loss in terms of quality, but he's not been playing right back anyway so it doesn't make much difference. Having Bertrand back is a much bigger positive than keeping Cedric.

Lemina, Ings, Obafemi, Bertrand all to come back is a lot of quality. I get it's not an ideal position but if Ralph can't comfortably keep this squad up then he's not the manager we thought. But he is, and he will.

We need to spend properly on a RB, winger, striker. No doubt. But we can't afford to get it wrong after recent seasons. So in the summer, with more time, a guaranteed premier league place, a good manager and a massively trimmed wage bill we'll be ready to move forward.

We're lucky that there are so many poor teams in the league this season.

Whilst I kind of agree with you, we seem to have already identified our main RB target, so why not just go get him now?

Right back at you to be honest, do you not wonder why Inter actually want him? A team currently 3rd in Serie A who have been playing Champions League football this year and are way better than us, I am presuming you think their 'football IQ' is suspect as well then?

'Need', what 'need' is there to replace him right now, IF he is disrupting the squad maybe (but I doubt this), but in footballing terms there is no need and it very much looks like we are not replacing him anyway.

We are loaning our our best right back and leaving ourselves with two teenagers who lack experience whilst we are in a relegation battle.

“Best defender”

Dear oh dear

Why has all the abuse and hostility directed at Cedric on this forum suddenly changed to 'we will miss him' 'shouldn't let him go' 'we've got no cover' 'Cedrics the best back we've got' and so on. We don't really learn much on thhis foorum, just a load of opinions which cancel each other out.

The Tadic effect...

Exactly one year ago we signed Guido Carrillo for £19 million.

What we paid for some of the players we are loaning out to other clubs:

Guido Carrillo £19 million

Wesley Hoedt £15 million

Sofiane Boufal £16 million

Jordy Clasie £8 million

Cédric Soares £5 million

Steven Davis £1 million

That's more than we got for selling Mané, Tadic and Rodriguez.

Wesley Hoedt £15 million

Jordy Clasie £8 million

Cédric Soares £5 million

Steven Davis £1 million

Isnt that why Reed and Hunter have been removed? Why Wilson is still here ....guess needed some stability

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Exactly one year ago we sold VVD for £75million which the pundits now call a 'snip' of a bargain for LlIVERPOOL

Well yes, he's changed a lot for them. Just getting to the CL final probably made about half of the sum back for them.

What is more the purchase was wholly financed by the sale of a player that they don't seem to miss a great deal.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Exactly one year ago we sold VVD for £75million which the pundits now call a 'snip' of a bargain for LlVERPOOL

Many of us said that Mané was worth double what we sold him for and he was. Tadic, Clyne and Wanyama were also sold for far less than we should have asked for them. The fact we now have to sell players in order to raise funds to buy a new one and that we are struggling to find buyers for any of them shows how badly mismanaged our transfer activity has been in recent years. I'm optimistic that things will be handled better in future as Ralph seems to have brought some much-needed common sense to the club.

Wesley Hoedt £15 million

Jordy Clasie £8 million

Cédric Soares £5 million

Steven Davis £1 million

But the problem with what you are seemingly trying to portray, is that we still own them all. Of course Davis's contract ends at the end of this season. The others have between 1 and 3 years left, so we will be able to recoup something

Exactly one year ago we sold VVD for £75million which the pundits now call a 'snip' of a bargain for LlIVERPOOL

Yeh but realistically we probably got the most for him we were going to get. It is still a world record fee for a defender.

The board to be honest did the best they could here, they tried to keep him, the c*nt then basically sulked for 6 months and played utter crap to force his move through and they still got a big fee for him.

It's Mane that they did badly on, we should have got £50 million plus easily.

But the problem with what you are seemingly trying to portray, is that we still own them all. Of course Davis's contract ends at the end of this season. The others have between 1 and 3 years left, so we will be able to recoup something

We are certainly trying to but so far without much success as we are struggling to find another club willing to pay a transfer fee for them. All I was portraying was how much we paid for players we are loaning out to other clubs. Our recent transfer activity was pretty clueless. But, as I said, I'm optimistic that things will improve.

someone kill me now.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea.

He has markedly improved in terms of his defensive capabilities since Ralph took charge, and he showed with his goal last weekend that he can make runs without being out-muscled in the way he always used to.

He may not be especially quick, but he's no slouch either and he's the best crosser of the ball at the club.

Worth trying out IMO.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea.

He has markedly improved in terms of his defensive capabilities since Ralph took charge, and he showed with his goal last weekend that he can make runs without being out-muscled in the way he always used to.

He may not be especially quick, but he's no slouch either and he's the best crosser of the ball at the club.

Worth trying out IMO.

Prowse’s best position (he would say so himself) is where Ralph has been playing him - in centre midfield as part of a 2/3 with more physical players next to him - ala PEH/Lemina/Romeu. He’s better a bit deeper than in a no 10 or as a wide man. RB is one thing but we are currently playing with wing backs and he is definitely not a wing back.

He’s just finding form in this role so why on earth would we stick him at RWB? Madness and I don’t think Ralph is that stupid

Wing backs need pace, and that is something Ward-Prowse lacks and opponents would look to exploit that vunerability time after time. He also isn't remotely suited to playing as a full back in a back four.

He is playing well in the roles he is currently being used in.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Yeh but realistically we probably got the most for him we were going to get. It is still a world record fee for a defender.

The board to be honest did the best they could here, they tried to keep him, the c*nt then basically sulked for 6 months and played utter crap to force his move through and they still got a big fee for him.

It's Mane that they did badly on, we should have got £50 million plus easily.

We got £34-£36.5m for him doubt we could have got more for what was an early 2016 transfer and he only had 2 years left.

Even Salah only went for £39m.

The recruitment is what has truly went wrong not the sales we raked from our players, on that front I say we do well to make fees although this month and last is slowly proving otherwise.

Well, at least Celta Vigo could have the cash if they want to sign Hoedt & Boufal.

HAMMERS IN GOMEZ TALKS

Talks continue between representatives of West Ham and Celta Vigo over the signing of striker Maxi Gomez, according to Sky sources.

Celta Vigo will not let him go in this window unless his €50m release clause is met in full.

Celta Sporting Director Felipe Minambres said: "I believe that we will retain our most important players because it is the intention of the club to be strong. But with the English you never know.”

West Ham want to sign Gomez regardless of Marko Arnautovic’s future. A potential deal would see the Hammers break their record £35m, plus add-ons, deal to sign Felipe Anderson in the summer.

West Ham now saying they will sell him at the right price, so I assume they must feel confident they can sign Gomez.

As some have said, I will wait until end of the transfer window before jumping the gun, and indeed am all for removing the deadwood etc.

I would just rather we did some of this in the summer once we are safe - not all just some. RH has been great so far, and you could argue too good - in that no one would have expected such an extraordinary transformation in such a short time (specially given our recent record with both manager and player recruitment). Prior to RH, let's face most of us were expecting the worst. Can we really expect RH to continue this miracle, or rather better it with less and less resources? More importantly, do we need to take the risk?

Up until the Cedric deal, and now the rumored Austin move, I was fine. However, we are still very much in a relegation fight and are our finances so poor that we need €500K loan fee and wages more than Ced as a backup (fine don't have him starting) in case the youngsters start to struggle? Same with Austin - can't believe we will get much for him? RH said recently he saw Austin as important player for some of the game - presumably last 10 to 15 mins if we needed a goal to rescue us? Have further clear outs in the summer once we are safe, even if we get less - let's face it, it will cost us a dam sight more if we are relegated.

Anyway let's see what the final situation is on 1st Feb is

theres a novel idea. sell a quality player and try and replace him with equal quality instead of dipping into the bargain basement. why couldn't we think of that ?

Irrespective of whether Arnautovic stays or goes, I think you nailed it. Every now and then we need to replace an "A" player with an "A" player. For too long we have diluted the quality nearly costing us our PL place.

I think Adam Leitch suggested this was something the club were looking at in the summer, to have less parity on wages and get a few stars who are outright better players on bigger money. Let's hope so.