The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Even so if you take out rose,hesketh,Barnes and seager who aren’t good enough that’s one hell of a thin squad for a team in our position

Yeah rose is about 5 choice keeper

Barnes and Seager 5th and 6th choice strikers.

I like hesketh. Did well on loan, looked bright for us before multiple manager changes and injury meant he hasn’t had a look in.

Even then he’s perhaps battling with sims to be somewhere between 4th and 6th choice out wide

Ralph is a coup for us. We'll want to keep him. It's very naive to even suggest he will not have a huge say in the players leaving and available to him. If not, we'll lose him very soon.

Of course he will have a say every manager we've had, since the take over, has had a say in players (see Carillo) but the nitty gritty of signing players isn't left to the manager hence why we got the Walcott and Promes fiasco last season. Its perfectly easy to have confidence in the manager but less confidence in the club to deliver what the manager wants.

Hojbjerg is first choice.

Cedric wasn't first choice

Gabbi wasn't first choice

Hoedt wasn't first choice

Davis wasn't first choice.

Austin isn't first choice.

That's not true, they've all been our first choices at various times. If they are not now or have not been recently that's only because Hassenhuttl may have been following the club's agenda to marginalise these players, **** them off so that they wanted out in order to justify selling them.

You can bet your life these guys are still very good footballers and will flourish again under more imaginative and sympathetic management.

That's not true, they've all been our first choices at various times. If they are not now or have not been recently that's only because Hassenhuttl may have been following the club's agenda to marginalise these players, **** them off so that they wanted out in order to justify selling them.

You can bet your life these guys are still very good footballers and will flourish again under more imaginative and sympathetic management.

Do you believe the carp you write? Jesus

Every poster expressing concern about players being shipped out, I'll go out on a limb and say with Ralph's approval, is questioning Ralph's judgement in allowing those players to move on. If there's another interpretation then spell it out to me.

Thought this was a forum where people expressed their opinions - if you don't agree, fine but do so respectfully IMO.

Things are not as black and white as you paint out - I think everyone is behind RH (certainly I am) . As I and many have said, wait and see until the end of the window, as up to Ced/Austin very happy with the outs, but's let's not over chance our luck. Does keeping some insurance for a mere 4 months matter in the great scheme of things? By all means get rid in the summer. I would rather risk losing 1 to 2M by selling in the summer (proviso, we don't get replacements now), than relegation - that's all folks are concerned about.

Some absolute drivel on here.

IMO its all good business. None of these players, Cedric aside, have contributed this season.

We need to get rid of big earners who don't add anything to the starting XI, to allow us to free up wages for a couple of big hitters whilst the likes of Obafemi, Valery, Slattery get a place in the squad on far less cash than who they are replacing.

The only issue I have is at RB where we need a signing when Cedric goes.

Finally good to see the club being ruthless.

Thought this was a forum where people expressed their opinions - if you don't agree, fine but do so respectfully IMO.

Things are not as black and white as you paint out - I think everyone is behind RH (certainly I am) . As I and many have said, wait and see until the end of the window, as up to Ced/Austin very happy with the outs, but's let's not over chance our luck. Does keeping some insurance for a mere 4 months matter in the great scheme of things? By all means get rid in the summer. I would rather risk losing 1 to 2M by selling in the summer (proviso, we don't get replacements now), than relegation - that's all folks are concerned about.

It is. My opinion is that Ralph knows what he's doing; that he is sanctioning all sales and that unlike the people on here he understands that wanting a player doesn't mean we are guaranteed to get him. The club want and need stability, and want and need Ralph. I remain of the view that anybody who questions out current (not past) transfer dealings are questioning Ralph's judgement.

IMO its all good business. None of these players, Cedric aside, have contributed this season.

We need to get rid of big earners who don't add anything to the starting XI, to allow us to free up wages for a couple of big hitters whilst the likes of Obafemi, Valery, Slattery get a place in the squad on far less cash than who they are replacing.

Some sense at last.

Hojbjerg is first choice.

Cedric wasn't first choice

Gabbi wasn't first choice

Hoedt wasn't first choice

Davis wasn't first choice.

Austin isn't first choice.

Exactly this. IMO we don't need to sign replacements for players who aren't first choice.

And to answer batman. Try reading through this thread and the Cedric one - seems like an awful lot of hysteria to me

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more. We’ve probably got rid of over 100k/week on players who won’t even remotely effect the first team.

If we use that to bring in one or two (ideally a right back and a pacey attacker) then that’s great from my perspective.

Seriously you are criticising our new manager considering the results and competitiveness he has managed to galvanise thus far? If so you are completely mad.

He is getting rid of players who are not dynamic or coachable enough to play the way he wants to, its as simple as that. Look at his coaching philosophy and history, its how he does his business and if you took the time to research him then you would realise that.

It's just annoying that the club tries to spin this as some sort of brilliant tactic when the reality is that we don't really have an option to replace with quality because we have no money to spend this January. Let's just admit that the club are taking a risk by getting rid of quite a few players and hoping that the youth and our decent manager is enough to muddle through until the summer without getting relegated. If we did get a few injuries and we got relegated then it really would blow up in our faces but it's not exactly the most inspiring thing in the world or something that makes you want to watch every single game between now and the end of the season. This could change of course if we do get one or two in but my money is still on it being the same as the last two Januarys which have been disappointing to say the least.

So you agree then that the potential sale and and non-replacement of Cedric is an issue or 'concern'. Some sense at last.

I'm satisfied that Ralph will have sanctioned the sale satisfied that they'll either be a replacement coming in, or that he's happy with what we have.

It's just annoying that the club tries to spin this as some sort of brilliant tactic when the reality is that we don't really have an option to replace with quality because we have no money to spend this January. Let's just admit that the club are taking a risk by getting rid of quite a few players and hoping that the youth and our decent manager is enough to muddle through until the summer without getting relegated. If we did get a few injuries and we got relegated then it really would blow up in our faces but it's not exactly the most inspiring thing in the world or something that makes you want to watch every single game between now and the end of the season. This could change of course if we do get one or two in but my money is still on it being the same as the last two Januarys which have been disappointing to say the least.

Where is that?

Why risk splashing or overpaying when you can Do the sensible thing clear out the dead wood, rebuild in the summer....

... the only thing that detracts from this is of course not knowing what division we might be in if we deplete the squad too thinly.

For me the concern are the full backs available to us if we don't replace Cedric. He had his limitations but brought some experience to the team which Valery lacks, not to mention Valery seems to lose his cool easily.

Unfortunately though we haven't necessarily "cleared" the dead wood out, we've stacked it elsewhere. We could end up with Hoedt and Cedric returning at the end of the season (along with Carillo and Boufal of course) if they don't impress whilst out on loan. That's a great prospect isn't it ?

I share some concern over Cedric cover. However Ralph has included Ramsay in most of his squads so he clearly likes him & in the end if he feels he doesn’t need or can’t get who he wants in Jan i’ll Trust his judgement.

It all makes perfect sense.

For the best of the squad.....for the best of the club.

Just wait for the incomings.

Relax people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if there are no incomings, I trust the manager's judgement when it comes to trimming our bloated squad.

Unfortunately though we haven't necessarily "cleared" the dead wood out, we've stacked it elsewhere. We could end up with Hoedt and Cedric returning at the end of the season (along with Carillo and Boufal of course) if they don't impress whilst out on loan. That's a great prospect isn't it ?

So should we have just kept them all here not playing, or given them the chance to play and be in a shop window, so that we may generate a potential sale in future.

I don't think people have a problem with thinning the squad, most of us have been calling for a cull for a while, and no one is gagging for replacements for the likes of Hoedt either. The only point of contention has been Cedric because it leaves us short of cover Valery isn't better than Cedric, and Ramsey is no where near good enough, so its one place where it makes sense to sign a replacement for a player that has left or leave ourselves weaker for the rest of the season. Maybe as the ITK smiley winked a new RB will be here in the window if so happy ****ing days.

The issue with signings though is it's still the same people responsible, that have been for the last few windows, minus Les and they don't have a great track record in getting it right (and that isn't just identifying players but actually getting them signed and in the squad) so don't inspire confidence.

I don't think people have a problem with thinning the squad, most of us have been calling for a cull for a while, and no one is gagging for replacements for the likes of Hoedt either. The only point of contention has been Cedric because it leaves us short of cover Valery isn't better than Cedric, and Ramsey is no where near good enough, so its one place where it makes sense to sign a replacement for a player that has left or leave ourselves weaker for the rest of the season. Maybe as the ITK smiley winked a new RB will be here in the window if so happy ****ing days.

Don't have a problem with Cedric going. We are not relying on Valery and Ramsay anyway, assuming he is fit Targett is perfectly capable of playing RWB, assuming Bertrand is still around and fit, and if its as a defensive RB in a 4 then Stephens, Bednarek and even Yoshida can play RB.

Really hate the use of the term "cull" on here. It really is quite an offensive term.

Don't have a problem with Cedric going. We are not relying on Valery and Ramsay anyway, assuming he is fit Targett is perfectly capable of playing RWB, assuming Bertrand is still around and fit, and if its as a defensive RB in a 4 then Stephens, Bednarek and even Yoshida can play RB.

Really hate the use of the term "cull" on here. It really is quite an offensive term.

Lol no it isn't.

Slightly concerning we are losing experience in the squad to be passed on to the younger players now being rightfully included; I will be happy though if we get a striker which we have needed for a long time and even more now we have sold Gabbi and probably Chaz

I'm not sure what's worse, this thread on a Saturday without a match, or a match day thread when we've let in a goal. Level of emotional and football intelligence on either is worryingly low for a group of (one would assume in the main) fully grown adults.

:lol:

Collins English Dictionary definition of Cull

5. to cease to employ; get rid of

clearly I wasn't suggesting the club go with definition 3

3. to reduce the size of (a herd or flock) by killing a proportion of its members

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/cull

Edited by doddisalegend

source.gif

So should we have just kept them all here not playing, or given them the chance to play and be in a shop window, so that we may generate a potential sale in future.

Not them all; Hoedt had been given enough chances, the only one released that has been questioned is Cedric owing to the limited options left taking into account their experience. Gabbiadini, shame but it wasn't working for him, but well down the pecking order.

Tend to agree with much of this,probably not too far off the mark.

Time will tell.

I can't believe we're having a clear out and Elyounoussi gets to stay ��

What other club would take him? I think the club is trying to find buyers for players but can't find any takers for the worst ones and they are on such inflated wages here that we can't even find clubs prepared to take them on loan.

Better hope Alex Cull doesn't make the grade with us, then. We won't be allowed to mention him.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Don't knock him - he did well in the Under 23 match against Middlesbrough two weeks ago and now that Parkes has been sold, presumably Cull moves up the pecking order. I actually had a good chat to his mum after that match. He has come up through the academy alongside a lot of other players who are starting to get noticed now, so who knows what his development might look like in the next few years. Personally I will be chuffed if he doesn't ever get culled but instead goes on to become a great future keeper for us! :)