Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Saints vs Derby - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay Thread

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Some people who are posting in this thread don't seem to have noticed who was actually playing last night as they think we fielded some sort of youth team against Derby's first team which means drawing with them was a good result

In fact, this was our team:

28Gunn
    66Ramsay
    5Stephens
    4Vestergaard
    2Cédric
    14Romeu
    16Ward-Prowse
    51Johnson (Redmond at 45 minutes)
    11Elyounoussi
    17Armstrong
    7Long

Total cost in transfer fees, according to transfermarkt: €103 million

Once Redmond had replaced Johnson at half-time, it was one of the strongest teams we currently have available from our first team squad. Nearly all of them have played in our Premier League team this season and cost a hell of a lot more than Derby's team did in both transfer fees and wages. Yes, we had injuries and suspensions but so do all teams at this time of year, including Derby, so that is no excuse.

The point is, we have wasted a fortune in assembling a first team squad with a lot of players who are only Championship standard.

I believe we have a very good manager but our squad needs a lot of strengthening.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the result was "good" per se. Agree that our squad as a whole needs strengthening but, FWIW, I would venture that only 3 of our starting 11 last night would be feature in our strongest first choice 11, so in that context the result, whilst not "good", wasn't overly "bad" either.

McCarthy
    Cedric
    Yoshida
    Vestergaard
    Bednarek
    Bertrand
    Romeu
    Lemina
    Hojbjerg
    Redmond
    Ings

Would be interesting to compare the value of our starting 11 yesterday with that of Derby's starting 11

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    That was the bloke in Israel... assume he follows both saints and forest then?
    He's a Forest fan but has lots of connections to Saints so supports us too. Sounds like it was someone else last night.

Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
    Does anyone have the foggiest idea what that goalkeeping coach of ours actually does btw....
    I can see no evidence what so ever that he ever coached or prepares our goalies at all.
    Gunn’s one sided no idea efforts for the pens were not very good.
    It never fails to amaze me that Keepers move before the ball is kicked. They would stop more penalties if they waited that split second. Nine out of ten pens are well within the reach of a Keepers hands and feet. Can't remember that Ipswich keeper a few years back who made save after save by not letting the kicker know which was he was going. Gun was atrocious last night.
    Last edited by hasper57saint; 17-01-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Mis spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cabrone View Post
    Felt like the first game, no shortage of effort but low on quality.

Thought Derby looked the better of the two teams TBH but to throw away a 2 goal lead in 30 odd minutes again is really poor.

Get rid of Long and Moi, both completely sub standard.
    A brief but to the point post! I was dismayed at the quality or lack of it from some of the team. A fair result beaten by a better team.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    A brief but to the point post! I was dismayed at the quality or lack of it from some of the team. A fair result beaten by a better team.
    They weren't better. Over the course of two games there wasn't anything between the the two sides. Which is why we needed pens to settle it. The main difference is we (for various reasons) never put out our strongest team and they did. In the end all that separated the teams was a Redmond missed penalty.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hasper57saint View Post
    It never fails to amaze me that Keepers move before the ball is kicked. They would stop more penalties if they waited that split second. Nine out of ten pens are well within the reach of a Keepers hands and feet. Can't remember that Ipswich keeper a few years back who made save after save by not letting the kicker know which was he was going. Gun was atrocious last night.
    Paul Cooper. I copied his penalty technique & for a short-@rsed goalie, I was bloody good at penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimond Geezer View Post
    Paul Cooper. I copied his penalty technique & for a short-@rsed goalie, I was bloody good at penalties.
    Thanks DG. He really did save a lot because he didn't let the kicker have a free hit like Gunn and the Derby keeper last night. What penalty saves did the Derby stopper make? Zero.

I thought our performance was erratic, some good spells, some where we did nothing at all. Then again we had no genuine quality in the side so it's understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    They weren't better. Over the course of two games there wasn't anything between the the two sides. Which is why we needed pens to settle it. The main difference is we (for various reasons) never put out our strongest team and they did. In the end all that separated the teams was a Redmond missed penalty.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    That’s the way I see it too. Still feel a little disappointed tho

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    He's a Forest fan but has lots of connections to Saints so supports us too. Sounds like it was someone else last night.
    Last night the guy in the Forest shirt was definitely not the guy in Israel. The guy in Israel is a Forest fan who has connections with Colslaw/Tossa and traveled with them to the European games that season.

Was at the game and have only just watched the TV recording.

Agreed the disallowed VAR goal was very close, but can't understand why our penalty claim near the end of ET wasn't given. Slattery's foot was clearly kicked as he prepared to shoot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bit late to post on this now but wonder what people's view on the performance of Huddlestone in Derby's midfield on Weds night.

Looking at his rather portly physique and aware of his age, I thought he would be a peripheral player for them by-passed by our more energetic style of play.

However although he basically ambled around the pitch he hardly wasted a pass and made me realise that we dont have what used to be called a 'schemer' in our ranks.

Probably a 'schemer' is not the sort of player Ralph would want but it was good to see a player that can use the ball so well despite obvious limitations

Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    Bit late to post on this now but wonder what people's view on the performance of Huddlestone in Derby's midfield on Weds night.

Looking at his rather portly physique and aware of his age, I thought he would be a peripheral player for them by-passed by our more energetic style of play.

However although he basically ambled around the pitch he hardly wasted a pass and made me realise that we dont have what used to be called a 'schemer' in our ranks.

Probably a 'schemer' is not the sort of player Ralph would want but it was good to see a player that can use the ball so well despite obvious limitations
    Always been a very good ball player, sees a pass and can catch it sweetly if he shoots. Never seemed to make if at the very highest level but sort of reminds me of the role that Jan Molby used to do at Liverpool. Not a lot of sweat and energy, but lots of craft.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk