Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    Luxembourg looks ****ed.
    Low death rate though. Ditto Germany. Can only assume they have zillions of ventilators.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Low death rate though. Ditto Germany. Can only assume they have zillions of ventilators.
    I'd say the death rate is probably about the same but fewer of the milder cases are being reported or tested. There will be plenty of people out there who've got/had it and stayed at home watching TV, without telling anyone.

Well done Lewandowski, Kimmich and Sane, donating those sums of money may make a real difference in mitigating this crisis and helping people. More initiatives such as We Kick Corona needed.

What will help is an antibody test that can identify people who have had the virus and can stop isolating. They can then go back to work, particularly important if they are healthcare professionals.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by East Kent Saint View Post
    You can get a test done for 370 in Harley St , according to reports in the press. You may be clear but I assume it won't stop you catching it after the test ! They say they are developing a test to show if you have had it already ( checking antibodies I think) it which case you are OK to work in a hospital etc so I presume you won't get it twice .
    Properly taking the pss.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...ests-78hd6wqfv

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    What will help is an antibody test that can identify people who have had the virus and can stop isolating. They can then go back to work, particularly important if they are healthcare professionals.
    Well yes but only if its established that if you've had it once you won't get it again. No concrete confirmation of that yet as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by stknowle View Post
    Well yes but only if its established that if you've had it once you won't get it again. No concrete confirmation of that yet as far as I can see.
    That is how every other virus infection works

The question as to whether or not catching the coronavirus then gives people long-term immunity is massive. If it turns out that any acquired immunity is only short-lived because, for example, there are different sub-variants / strains of this virus (as per the common cold virus) then building herd immunity or creating an effective vaccine will be extremely difficult.

All the evidence suggests that you would develop some sort of immune response to COVID-19. The length of that response we do not know yet.

Remember, the current coronavirus test will not be 100% accurate. There will be false positives. Furthermore, with the amount of individuals contracting this, it might just be that for whatever reason 1 individual didn't raise a long-lasting immune response. Basically, there are many better explainations to the very few reported cases of two separate positive tests on the same individual.

The anti-body test will be very important in mapping the spread of the condition, and allowing some people to return to certain working positions assuming they take the proper precautions not to spread the condition. It will not bring an end to crisis though which will I suspect last months, if not upwards of a year. Managing it over this length of time is the only way to prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths and a complete crippling of our public services.

Blog Entries

edit
    Last edited by shurlock; 22-03-2020 at 11:03 PM.

11. Default

That is how every other virus infection works
    So because every other "virus infection" works like that then this one has to as well? I sincerely hope you are right.
    Last edited by stknowle; 22-03-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Whe is Matt le tissier going to shut his gob on twitter ? He clearly has no brain cells and is a pr disaster for SFC

So because every other "virus infection" works like that then this one has to as well? I sincerely hope you are right.
    So do I.
    But this virus comes from a known family of viruses (SARS, MERS etc) so it is not doing anything dramatically different. This is how the body's immune sytem works.

Blog Entries

So do I.
    But this virus comes from a known family of viruses (SARS, MERS etc) so it is not doing anything dramatically different. This is how the body's immune sytem works.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00798-8
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...=1584912712939

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLoyal View Post
    Whe is Matt le tissier going to shut his gob on twitter ? He clearly has no brain cells and is a pr disaster for SFC
    I've now unfollowed him, which is a shame

Quote Originally Posted by stevy777_x View Post
    Le Tiss is being a right tit over this crisis.
    To start with, started saying he didn’t what the fuss was all about.

And now, refuses to admit he was wrong, compares Corona with the flu saying if we take measures like this, we should do it every year for the flu to protect our elderlies.

He should stick to football.
    We should do it every year.

17. Default

So do I.
    Again, hope you are right, if you're not we really are ****ed. All very worrying especially when there's articles out there suggesting you don't necessarily get immunity after catching it.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Watching the news last night a lot of people still not getting it. Hordes of people descending on parks and outdoor tourist attractions...helmets.

Still seeing large numbers of OAPs wondering around Winchester, last Friday, on my way home from work.

It will be interesting to see if parents keep their kids inside now the schools have closed down and the weather is nice.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Watching the news last night a lot of people still not getting it. Hordes of people descending on parks and outdoor tourist attractions...helmets.

Still seeing large numbers of OAPs wondering around Winchester, last Friday, on my way home from work.

It will be interesting to see if parents keep their kids inside now the schools have closed down and the weather is nice.

Sad reflection on society. From all age groups!

Yes, this bright, sunny and dry weather forecast for the next week is just about the last thing we need.
    Oh for those horrendous storms of a few weeks ago which meant people quite happily stayed in doors.

The human being is stupid.

22. Default

Thankfully my elderly father, despite being massively stubborn up to the point, is taking the instructions seriously and isn't leaving the house anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just had to take the dog out for some exercise .... apart from others out with dog, the only people that i passed were old dears out for a leisurely walk!!

There must have been at least 20 kids at my local skate park this morning, and a decent sized group of 13/14 year olds playing footy.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLoyal View Post
    Been one of the saddest things for me about football (indirectly) in the last couple of years. Worshipped the guy, uniquely talented footballer, lovely friendly guy, but fck me he's fallen into the stereotypical thick but over confident in opinion celebrities.

Imagine being a retired footballer and truly believing you know better than the world's leading experts on climate change. Then all the countries in Europe over doing it wrong on a pandemic, all the scientists, the WHO, but you, who won some goal of the month competitions, know better.

He doesn't understand data.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I've now unfollowed him, which is a shame
    Me too

I too unfollowed Le Tissier a while ago on social media. Nothing in particular, just emanated arrogance and ill informed opinions to the point where he came across as unlikable. I've met him a few times and was always polite and friendly but this wasnt reflected in his posts. A shame as he has a platform and could do a lot of good with it.

Likewise, although for me it was all the chavy ’banter’ with Scousers, which just grew tiresome after a while.

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Been one of the saddest things for me about football (indirectly) in the last couple of years. Worshipped the guy, uniquely talented footballer, lovely friendly guy, but fck me he's fallen into the stereotypical thick but over confident in opinion celebrities.

Imagine being a retired footballer and truly believing you know better than the world's leading experts on climate change. Then all the countries in Europe over doing it wrong on a pandemic, all the scientists, the WHO, but you, who won some goal of the month competitions, know better.

Are we sure it's the real MLT and not a fake poster? I don't Twitter, so can't establish.

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Are we sure it's the real MLT and not a fake poster? I don't Twitter, so can't establish.
    Yes, it has the blue tick which means it is a verified account.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman View Post
    I too unfollowed Le Tissier a while ago on social media. Nothing in particular, just emanated arrogance and ill informed opinions to the point where he came across as unlikable. I've met him a few times and was always polite and friendly but this wasnt reflected in his posts. A shame as he has a platform and could do a lot of good with it.
    I think he's at risk of getting the elbow from Sky if he carries on. He's only a few tweets away from saying something that could really blow up. Sky are a news-based organisation and they don't need to be connected with someone gobbing off mis-information.

On the other hand he's probably really cut up about McDonald's shutting down.

People are right about sky and them being very brand protective, they ran a very big climate initiative and they wont want a presenter bigging up a fruitloop denier.

Sky sports also like changing their panel and i wouldnt want to give them any excuses.

He is never wrong you know. Like you said a very friendly amenable guy and the most skillful I have ever seen but he doesn't know when to stop digging - look at the Pinnacle fiasco which even now he thinks was genuine.

Once this all blows over, I would love to see Professor Whitty sit in front of Sky Sports and tell them what is wrong with VAR, and how the offside rule should be updated.

The football world would blow a fuse, telling him to keep his beak out.

Why any celebrity thinks they have the authority to comment sensibly on this beggars belief. Offer support, re-iterate the guidelines issued, but anything else is kamakaze.

36. Default

And you believe everything that the main stream media tell you, do you? I prefer to question everything. History tells us, question EVERYTHING

Next you will be telling everyone that 9/11 was a terrorist attack

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    And you believe everything that the main stream media tell you, do you? I prefer to question everything. History tells us, question EVERYTHING
    Le Tissier is doing so from a position of no information. He isn't countering it with anything. He is being extremely foolish.

Next you will be telling everyone that 9/11 was a terrorist attack
    Don't you?

What’s he saying then? I can’t be arsed with Twitter.

39. Default

A thread now beyond parody , similar to the out of depth jokers in government.......

40. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Le Tissier is doing so from a position of no information. He isn't countering it with anything. He is being extremely foolish.

Don't you?
    I don't agree or disagree with Matt's comments. But every day in England & Wales, approx 1400 people die every day. Every day. 1400 people. Let's just keep that in perspective. Last Winter, there were over 22,000 EXCESS Winter deaths in this country. Don't remember any media hydteria about this.

As for 9/11, biggest inside job in mankind. But that can wait for another day.

I don't agree or disagree with Matt's comments. But every day in England & Wales, approx 1400 people die every day. Every day. 1400 people. Let's just keep that in perspective. Last Winter, there were over 22,000 EXCESS Winter deaths in this country. Don't remember any media hydteria about this.

Yes, I’m sure those Italian doctors having an emotional breakdown because they’re having to take ventilators away from patients who are too old and a ‘lower priority for survival’ are just paid actors.

I like when people pretend they’re more open minded because they ‘question everything’ when really they just believe anything they read in an online blog. Don’t tell me, jet fuel doesn’t melt steel beams.

To compare this to flu as Le Tissier and now you have is daft.

Without any measures this virus is predicted to kill 500,000 in the UK. Without measures like social distancing etc flu does not get remotely close to that.

Please watch this...

Do you have anything even remotely coming to good evidence to support that?

If you do... post them in this thread https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthre...s#.Xnj_6oj7SUk

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    I think he's at risk of getting the elbow from Sky if he carries on. He's only a few tweets away from saying something that could really blow up. Sky are a news-based organisation and they don't need to be connected with someone gobbing off mis-information.

Although they did seem to brush another 'gobbing' offence by Jamie Carragher under the carpet and forget about it fairly quickly.

In the concourse, complaining about the concourse

Outside exercise allowed once per day...pleased about that.

Now that lock-down has finally arrived perhaps the mouthy brigade will stop laying into our elderly. I nearly joined in the petty bashing of us elders but thought why bother. If the mouthy few are too blind to see the news that 95% of the idiots ignoring the government request to stay home were nowhere near septuagenarian age it would be a waste of time.

Hopefully it will be time now for us to unite instead of having to prove that we are smarter and more correct with our views than everybody else.

The thought of being forced to stay indoors is something that I never thought our country would insist upon. I served and fought to earn freedom but we are not fighting a different country. We are at war with nature and it frightens me to think that our planet has begun fighting back against us humans. This is a war that if we lose we are doomed.

46. Default

Stay safe and sane everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Outside exercise allowed once per day...pleased about that.
    Someone else can have my go, I’ll be drinking gin in the garden.

On a serious note though, I was slightly reassured to see Gabbiadini has apparently recovered after minimal symptoms. In an interview with an Italian journalist he said he was surprised that he’d had it and thought the doctor was joking at first. Makes me think that the infection rate may actually be much, much higher and the death rate therefore significantly lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Someone else can have my go, Ill be drinking gin in the garden.

On a serious note though, I was slightly reassured to see Gabbiadini has apparently recovered after minimal symptoms. In an interview with an Italian journalist he said he was surprised that hed had it and thought the doctor was joking at first. Makes me think that the infection rate may actually be much, much higher and the death rate therefore significantly lower.
    I would say this is almost certainly the case. True mortality rate is most probably sub 1%

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Someone else can have my go, Ill be drinking gin in the garden.

On a serious note though, I was slightly reassured to see Gabbiadini has apparently recovered after minimal symptoms. In an interview with an Italian journalist he said he was surprised that hed had it and thought the doctor was joking at first. Makes me think that the infection rate may actually be much, much higher and the death rate therefore significantly lower.
    Artetas wife was reported to have said that her fellas symptoms would never have kept him off work in any other time.

I bet many that use this place has had it but dismissed it as a mild flu.

50. Default

Youre missing the point entirely. The flu deaths are in a population that are largely protected by either prior exposure to (one of the many subtypes of) flu viruses or have had a flu shot (epidemiologists predict which subtypes will be present).

This subtype of Coronavirus is novel and has different surface antigens to other circulating coronaviruses. Exposed people will largely make immune cells against the novel surface antigens (also known as epitopes) but it takes time. In that time, vulnerable people may die. We dont know a few important things about this virus.

Namely:

How long it can survive in droplets or on inanimate objects.

What the average length of incubation is.

Which stages of disease that those infected are infective. Stages include incubation period, disease state, recovery etc.

Until we know more about these questions then the best bet is to isolate everyone.