Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Are we sure it's the real MLT and not a fake poster? I don't Twitter, so can't establish.
    Thank Christ for that, I thought it was just me.

Quote Originally Posted by SFC Forever View Post
    Now that lock-down has finally arrived perhaps the mouthy brigade will stop laying into our elderly. I nearly joined in the petty bashing of us elders but thought why bother. If the mouthy few are too blind to see the news that 95% of the idiots ignoring the government request to stay home were nowhere near septuagenarian age it would be a waste of time.

Hopefully it will be time now for us to unite instead of having to prove that we are smarter and more correct with our views than everybody else.

The thought of being forced to stay indoors is something that I never thought our country would insist upon. I served and fought to earn freedom but we are not fighting a different country. We are at war with nature and it frightens me to think that our planet has begun fighting back against us humans. This is a war that if we lose we are doomed.
    Good post, and I agree with your sentiments. Would just add that I think nature started hostilities some time ago, and to be honest, I'd think winning this war could ultimately prove worse for our species than losing it.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Good post, and I agree with your sentiments. Would just add that I think nature started hostilities some time ago, and to be honest, I'd think winning this war could ultimately prove worse for our species than losing it.
    What does that even mean?

Give your head a wobble

How very true, though ultimately I think mankind will always lose any war against nature.....

In the concourse, complaining about the concourse

As I see it, the only elements of "nature" here is that a) we should learn to stay away from the animals deep in the forests and b) diseases spread well in dense populations.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    As I see it, the only elements of "nature" here is that a) we should learn to stay away from the animals deep in the forests and b) diseases spread well in dense populations.
    Go vegan innit

Banning the eating of meat sounds drastic and won't get many likes but, in the same way as banning cigarettes, I suspect people will get used to the hardship within a few weeks and the whole population would be better off as a result.

Blog Entries

Banning the eating of meat sounds drastic and won't get many likes but, in the same way as banning cigarettes, I suspect people will get used to the hardship within a few weeks and the whole population would be better off as a result.
    Good luck with that hippy.

Just need Boris to get on the telly and tell people how it is...

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    What does that even mean?
    It means (imho, of course) that nature has been trying to curtail human population growth for far longer than the past three months. And that when we inevitably overcome this latest hurdle, as we will, the problems caused by continuing and ever-expanding human overpopulation of the planet are likely to bring the end of the species closer. I don't have any viable solution to offer to this conundrum.

12. Default

On the plus side pollution levels have fallen 40% or more around the world , even Bejing has blue skies rather than choking smog , another pointer to future direction for countries to follow. I did see an advert for an £80k Maserarti SUV that did barely 20 MPG in the fake test world ! Time to ban SUVs I think , the explosion of SUV sales have negated and environmental benefits of electric vehicles in the UK !!!
    ( not forgetting Boris cancelled Ken's increase on SUV's congestion charge in London !)

How about this notion of playing behind closed doors at a neutral venue when games resume? So could we be playing Norwich away at say Derby in late April perhaps?

It means (imho, of course) that nature has been trying to curtail human population growth for far longer than the past three months. And that when we inevitably overcome this latest hurdle, as we will, the problems caused by continuing and ever-expanding human overpopulation of the planet are likely to bring the end of the species closer. I don't have any viable solution to offer to this conundrum.
    some are clearly struggling with this self isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by fanimal View Post
    How about this notion of playing behind closed doors at a neutral venue when games resume? So could we be playing Norwich away at say Derby in late April perhaps?
    Why would it have to be neutral? I don’t like the idea of closed doors myself anyway. We’ve all played each other at least once so the outstanding games will mainly involve teams that are due the home leg of their pairing. Home advantage still applies to some extent since the players don’t have the travel disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Why would it have to be neutral? I donít like the idea of closed doors myself anyway. Weíve all played each other at least once so the outstanding games will mainly involve teams that are due the home leg of their pairing. Home advantage still applies to some extent since the players donít have the travel disruption.
    The neutral grounds are to deter home fans from congregating outside the stadium, apparently.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    The neutral grounds are to deter home fans from congregating outside the stadium, apparently.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Ah. Ok. Won’t you get two sets of fans gathering outside? I guess that the latest “two’s company, three’s a crowd law would prevent that.

As a serious question, I really don't think i want to buy another shirt advertising Virgin.. Branson has proved once again what an utter **** his is during all of this. Am I being too precious?

19. Default

Decide all outstanding matches with a toss of a coin , award points and call it the end of the season , no risk and everyone gets a 50/50 chance Ha Ha !

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman View Post
    As a serious question, I really don't think i want to buy another shirt advertising Virgin.. Branson has proved once again what an utter **** his is during all of this. Am I being too precious?
    Totally agree with you.

The man famous for saying Ďlook after your employees and in turn they will look after your customersí obviously this goes out the window when he might have to delve into his pockets and help them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by East Kent Saint View Post
    Decide all outstanding matches with a toss of a coin , award points and call it the end of the season , no risk and everyone gets a 50/50 chance Ha Ha !
    Why not just cancel all relegation and promotions and add all current points to next seasons.

Why not just cancel all relegation and promotions and add all current points to next seasons.
    I like that idea

Noooo. I like a fresh start. New players (well maybe not for us) improved strategy and we start again. Slate clean.

Blog Entries

Noooo. I like a fresh start. New players (well maybe not for us) improved strategy and we start again. Slate clean.
    Just think of it as an extra long season. It's a better idea imo than anything else that's been suggested.

As an over seventy year old with a relatively mild underlying health condition, I sometimes wonder if I'll see it through.
    The other night I was reminded of a story my Mum told me about when my Dad was stationed at Netley Royal Victoria hospital (now the country park and Hants police HQ,),during the blitz,they lived in digs in Netley to be with each other.
    Every night when the sirens went off,she and the landlady would sit under a very solid oak dining table until the all clear.
    They survived, as it was thought that the massive and very distinctive hospital was a very useful landmark to the bombers lining up to attack the supermarine factory and the docks.
    One night however a land mine hit the pub at the end of the road and it felt like an earthquake, next morning nothing was left of the street corner except a large hole and debris.
    Needless to say they both survived the war and begat me.
    I feel the same sense of helplessness, wondering whether it will pass me by.

Quote Originally Posted by cambsaint View Post
    As an over seventy year old with a relatively mild underlying health condition, I sometimes wonder if I'll see it through.
    The other night I was reminded of a story my Mum told me about when my Dad was stationed at Netley Royal Victoria hospital (now the country park and Hants police HQ,),during the blitz,they lived in digs in Netley to be with each other.
    Every night when the sirens went off,she and the landlady would sit under a very solid oak dining table until the all clear.
    They survived, as it was thought that the massive and very distinctive hospital was a very useful landmark to the bombers lining up to attack the supermarine factory and the docks.
    One night however a land mine hit the pub at the end of the road and it felt like an earthquake, next morning nothing was left of the street corner except a large hole and debris.
    Hang in there mate. The numbers are on your side.

You might have already had it and recovered!

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    Hang in there mate. The numbers are on your side.

You might have already had it and recovered!
    So, if we have already had it (& I’m not convinced we haven’t as my youngest had all the symptoms before we really knew what this thing was), can we catch it again?

I’m assuming we can still carry it on our hands etc, even if we have had it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    So, if we have already had it (& Iím not convinced we havenít as my youngest had all the symptoms before we really knew what this thing was), can we catch it again?

Iím assuming we can still carry it on our hands etc, even if we have had it?
    Generally speaking, unless there are multiple strains (which I guess is the unknown at the moment), itís very likely that once youíve had it, youíll be immune.

Quote Originally Posted by East Kent Saint View Post
    Jurgen will still have Var all over this

30. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cambsaint View Post
    Keep strong, I'm in the same boat as you, I have been trying to get over prostate cancer for the last 4 years and still not in the clear so I suppose I am in the vulnerable list. It's scary that's for sure but there's plenty of saints losses in us yet to witness as long as we can keep as positive as possible. Stay safe.

Some teams have played more games than others.

Binning the season is probably the most sensible course of action, the longer all this goes on for

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    So, if we have already had it (& I’m not convinced we haven’t as my youngest had all the symptoms before we really knew what this thing was), can we catch it again?

I’m assuming we can still carry it on our hands etc, even if we have had it?
    If you've recovered you probably aren't contagious any more. The virus can live on hands for a while but not indefinitely.

You may now have immunity. That's certainly the hope, but the science is currently inconclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    If you've recovered you probably aren't contagious any more. The virus can live on hands for a while but not indefinitely.

You may now have immunity. That's certainly the hope, but the science is currently inconclusive.
    The virus will not live long on your hands especially if you wash them regularly.

There must be quite a bit of immunity or a vaccine would not be much use. It may not be complete immunity but enough to prevent a serious illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Binning the season is probably the most sensible course of action, the longer all this goes on for
    On this I agree with you completely.

36. Default

A rollover season? I'd need to think through the implications, but on first hearing it sounds like a good suggestion.

37. Default

You don't have a fair allocation of points from this season to roll over though, due to relative strength of teams played etc.

38. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    Keep strong, I'm in the same boat as you, I have been trying to get over prostate cancer for the last 4 years and still not in the clear so I suppose I am in the vulnerable list. It's scary that's for sure but there's plenty of saints losses in us yet to witness as long as we can keep as positive as possible. Stay safe.
    That's the spirit. Always look on the bright side of life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_D View Post
    You don't have a fair allocation of points from this season to roll over though, due to relative strength of teams played etc.
    Maybe add the extra games onto next season, cancel the league Cup and no replays in fa Cup with a few midweek games. Could easily accomplish that.

On this I agree with you completely.
    6 months MOT extension given. You pleased?

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    6 months MOT extension given. You pleased?
    Me? Why me?

I was simply giving one trivial example of why a total lockdown (for a limited section of society) can cause problems.

It's a sensible move but all this should have been thought out weeks ago.

Still no news about the business support schemes. Might be in place by May, which will be too late for many much as I applaud the provisions.

Me? Why me?

I was simply giving one trivial example of why a total lockdown (for a limited section of society) can cause problems.

Still no news about the business support schemes. Might be in place by May, which will be too late for many much as I applaud the provisions.
    there is only so much money to go around. Today, I heard some MP demanding that the Government pay charities the lost revenue due to people being kept inside.

At this rate, we may as well just get paid what we normally do but direct from the government. This country (and many others) is utter screwed financially. Will probably make George Osborne's austerity package look like a bit of fun, when all is said and done.
    Last edited by Batman; 25-03-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    there is only so much money to go around. Today, I heard some MP demanding that the Government pay charities the lost revenue due to people being kept inside.

At this rate, we may as well just get paid what we normally do but direct from the government. This (and many other country's) are utter screwed financially. Will probably make George Osborne's austerity package look like a bit of fun, when all is said and done.
    Agreed, with the debt we will need to take on to survive and the undoubted recession that will follow i suspect we will be feeling pain for 10 years at least.

My focus is to keep my business breathing for the next 6 months and ensure i get out the other side. I dont need to lay anyone off yet but no doubt that will come. What makes that harder is there is nothing out there for people you do lay off. Tough times ahead. the pressure on business owners is immense and im feeling the pressure of ensuring my team of 12 have a job.

Me? Why me?

It does make me laugh how some self employed people are complaining. There are without doubt a lot of genuine people who are worried and thats fair enough. I know a bloke who runs a kitchen fitting business, he earns about £60k a year but every year boasts about how little tax and NI he's paid, apparently his books have shown as little as £18k some years, now he's complaining there is no help for self employed people. Of course that's just one example and i reminded him when he was whinging about it last week which he didn't like, but sadly truth hurts.

It does make me laugh how some self employed people are complaining. There are without doubt a lot of genuine people who are worried and thats fair enough. I know a bloke who runs a kitchen fitting business, he earns about £60k a year but every year boasts about how little tax and NI he's paid, apparently his books have shown as little as £18k some years, now he's complaining there is no help for self employed people. Of course that's just one example and i reminded him when he was whinging about it last week which he didn't like, but sadly truth hurts.
    I very much doubt that what you think he earns is true and if it is then he is into tax avoidance big time.

I very much doubt that what you think he earns is true and if it is then he is into tax avoidance big time.
    it is true, because he talks about it a lot and i know what day rate he charges.

47. Default

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    That's the spirit. Always look on the bright side of life.
    When you think of it, life is just a sh*t, especially when you support a team called saints.

Ah, I think I'll have another dose of Life of Brian to cheer me up.

Most self employed are tax dodgers. Itís too tempting.
    I have a mate similar talks about how great his accountant is and then has a go at public services

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Most self employed are tax dodgers. It’s too tempting.
    I have a mate similar talks about how great his accountant is and then has a go at public services
    If your business is small enough that you can operate as cash only, or not cross paths with anyone issuing VAT invoices or anything else that creates a paper trail, you're probably not earning enough to make a real dent by skimping on your taxes anyway.

To get back to football related discussion, I see the National League are expected to void the entire season later this week. If they do that then the rest of the leagues will almost certainly be obliged to follow suit. The only sensible course of action in my opinion.....