Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 401 to 450 of 504

Thread: Premier Football to restart?

  1. #401

    Default

    Have we had the death count from yesterday’s games in Germany? No doubt the authorities will be covering up as being paid off by BT

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Have we had the death count from yesterday’s games in Germany? No doubt the authorities will be covering up as being paid off by BT
    I'm not sure why'd you'd expect that sort of information to be available less than 24 hours after the games.

    More in general, in Germany the r rate has ticked up with the easing of the lockdown there. That will cost lives. Whether it will cost more lives than keeping the economy closed would have is the calculation they're having to make.

  3. #403

    Default

    Germany's R rate is now 1 according to the RKI.

    https://www.fxstreet.com/news/corona...0-202005150417

  4. #404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Germany's R rate is now 1 according to the RKI.

    https://www.fxstreet.com/news/corona...0-202005150417
    Now "below 1" that should have read.

  5. Default

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646282

    Premier league to follow suit, now more likely?

  6. #406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646282

    Premier league to follow suit, now more likely?
    Can't see it - they might once Liverpool have won the league though...

  7. #407

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Can't see it - they might once Liverpool have won the league though...
    Wonder how many naughty scallies will turn up for the game that clinches the title....and knowing they’ll be no victory parade?

  8. #408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646282

    Premier league to follow suit, now more likely?
    That is irrelevant. The Premier League clubs can afford the cost of testing, Scottish clubs can't.

  9. #409

    Default

    what's the situation with Ralph. Is he back or just going to be overseeing training remotely.

  10. #410

    Default

    Think the restart for this season is garbage, just couldn't care less about it right now. Imagine it'll be no relegation and no title race anyway. Just slow silent training games.

    More interested in next season. It'll have to be behind closed doors too. No way there's a fully tested safe vaccine widely distributed until next Spring/Summer.

    So a full season of this ghost football. Wonder if it'll just put some people off, make them take it less seriously? Will it be slower football, lower pressure football? Or just the better team coasting to wins? That'd be my fear. So often the better side doesn't win, often away to smaller sides. Big atmospheres, pressure, that little extra effort.

    Of course it all works out well for Saints as we're a half decent side with an appalling home record and little atmosphere there anyway.

  11. #411

    Default

    Also re: next season...while the premier will clearly go ahead behind closed doors, what of the other leagues? They can't all afford the amount of testing and prep needed for that. Yet they can't all keep running without playing. Yet they can't all keep running without match day revenue!

    So are we going to see a lot of clubs disappear???

  12. #412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Also re: next season...while the premier will clearly go ahead behind closed doors, what of the other leagues? They can't all afford the amount of testing and prep needed for that. Yet they can't all keep running without playing. Yet they can't all keep running without match day revenue!

    So are we going to see a lot of clubs disappear???
    The vaccine may save us and them

  13. Default

    Haven't read the thread, so not sure if mentioned, but as a spectacle, would Saints games at Staplewood be better on TV than at SMS? Stadia with banks of empty seats is such a bad look. It can't be worse than Staplewood can it?

  14. #414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Haven't read the thread, so not sure if mentioned, but as a spectacle, would Saints games at Staplewood be better on TV than at SMS? Stadia with banks of empty seats is such a bad look. It can't be worse than Staplewood can it?
    Why would empty seats be a "bad look"? The entire world knows why the seats are empty.

  15. #415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    what's the situation with Ralph. Is he back or just going to be overseeing training remotely.
    Why would he do it remotely? The is no 2 week quarantine for travellers at present and they are back to training tomorrow.

  16. #416

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Haven't read the thread, so not sure if mentioned, but as a spectacle, would Saints games at Staplewood be better on TV than at SMS? Stadia with banks of empty seats is such a bad look. It can't be worse than Staplewood can it?
    I guess the issue is the TV camera positions. St Mary's is set up for it. Whilst Staplewood has some for the u18 and u23 games, I doubt they have the whole setup that sky etc would want for broadcast.

  17. #417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Why would empty seats be a "bad look"? The entire world knows why the seats are empty.
    I'm fully in favour of this approach:

    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...medium=twitter

  18. #418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Also re: next season...while the premier will clearly go ahead behind closed doors, what of the other leagues? They can't all afford the amount of testing and prep needed for that. Yet they can't all keep running without playing. Yet they can't all keep running without match day revenue!

    So are we going to see a lot of clubs disappear???
    Personally I would write off the rest of this season but I can see a reason for trying some games this season behind closed doors. It would be a dry run to see if there is any commercial appetite for the product on offer. I don’t think I would pay to watch any of it myself.

  19. #419

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    I'm fully in favour of this approach:

    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...medium=twitter
    Those dolls seem to have understood social distancing far better than half the muppets in this country. I suppose when your mouth’s open all the time you’re more likely to catch Covid 19.

  20. #420

    Default

    Have they mentioned what the knock on for next season will be? Presumably there is no way the new season would be able to start mid-August but, if things have settled down in 12 months they cant go on much more than mid May due to Euro 21.

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Why would empty seats be a "bad look"? The entire world knows why the seats are empty.
    It's my opinion (if that's OK with you?). Looks **** and the sound/echo is dire.

    Guess I also didn't take into account goal line tech and VAR at Staplewood.

  22. #422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beatlesaint View Post
    Have they mentioned what the knock on for next season will be? Presumably there is no way the new season would be able to start mid-August but, if things have settled down in 12 months they cant go on much more than mid May due to Euro 21.
    Sack off the League Cup for a start, that will allow for more midweek league games. No FA Cup replays either. The main need for those is that the smaller clubs get a money spinning replay but if it's all behind closed doors that's less necessary.

  23. #423

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Sack off the League Cup for a start, that will allow for more midweek league games. No FA Cup replays either. The main need for those is that the smaller clubs get a money spinning replay but if it's all behind closed doors that's less necessary.
    I’ve never liked cup replays anyway. Every couple of years you’ll get some League 2 high flyer earn a second go at Chelsea or Man Utd’s reserves but for the other hundred and whatever clubs they’re just a pain in the backside.

    Every cup tie should be 90 mins, then penalties. Extra time is a load of b*llocks too.

  24. #424

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At my desk.
    Posts
    6,595

    Default

    Article in the paper today: https://www.theguardian.com/football...known-frontier

    This is the bit that struck me:
    The Bundesliga may have returned successfully last weekend, but there are good reasons for this. Germany has a quarter of the UK death toll to date. Germany has six times fewer new cases of Covid-19 diagnosed every day. Germany has a mature, competent leadership with a clear and transparent plan."

  25. #425

    Default

    Wonder how many more issues like this before they go back to the drawing board.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52721397

  26. #426

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Wonder how many more issues like this before they go back to the drawing board.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52721397
    If enough players don’t want to take the risk it obviously won’t go ahead but Watford and The Premier League can crack on fine without one or two players. Deeney is right not to risk his kid, he would be better off staying away from either football or his kid for a month IMO.

  27. #427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    If enough players don’t want to take the risk it obviously won’t go ahead but Watford and The Premier League can crack on fine without one or two players. Deeney is right not to risk his kid, he would be better off staying away from either football or his kid for a month IMO.
    Well by doing this, Deeney is effectively retiring as a footballer until a vaccine is found.
    Not sure Watford can afford to continue paying him on these grounds unless some sort of assurance exists.

  28. #428

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Have we had the death count from yesterday’s games in Germany? No doubt the authorities will be covering up as being paid off by BT
    Lay off the sauce who you ae confined to barracks!

  29. #429

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Wonder how many more issues like this before they go back to the drawing board.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52721397
    Good for him.

  30. #430

    Default

    And the Premier League results are in.

    Tests: 768
    Positive for Covid: 6
    Clubs impacted: 3

    https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/st...392480768?s=19

  31. #431

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    And the Premier League results are in.

    Tests: 768
    Positive for Covid: 6
    Clubs impacted: 3

    https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/st...392480768?s=19
    So if you take those ratios and extrapolate them to the UK's population that would give you a bit over 500K cases in all.
    Although most of these cases don't take the tube or the bus or shop at Tesco's so they may be a protected group and the real number of cases becomes much higher.
    Last edited by Window Cleaner; 19-05-2020 at 04:47 PM.

  32. #432

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Good for him.

    As far as the BAME susceptibility is concerned it's a known fact, don't know why they need another investigation into it.
    The Neanderthals and Denisovans didn't go to Africa or the India subcontinent so in those regions their genome is lacking certain virus resistance that Europeans and Eurasians obtained from them.

    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06940-x
    Last edited by Window Cleaner; 19-05-2020 at 05:02 PM.

  33. #433

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    So if you take those ratios and extrapolate them to the UK's population that would give you a bit over 500K cases in all.
    Although most of these cases don't take the tube or the bus or shop at Tesco's so they may be a protected group and the real number of cases becomes much higher.
    Possibly even more, as the test used is only 98.8% accurate. Therefore, 1 in every 100 (7 in this case) of those who showed negative could also have the virus.

    Then again, many in the group that was tested do fall into the 'let's all meet up for a party and a gangbang category' which is probably a bit riskier than the 'shopping at Tesco' or 'catch a bus' brigade.

  34. #434

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,161
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    So if you take those ratios and extrapolate them to the UK's population that would give you a bit over 500K cases in all.
    Although most of these cases don't take the tube or the bus or shop at Tesco's so they may be a protected group and the real number of cases becomes much higher.
    Or maybe just look at a properly designed survey based on a larger sample:

    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...gland14may2020

    I see Ian Woan has tested positive -always remember him turning it on for Forest against us.

  35. #435

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minsk View Post
    Possibly even more, as the test used is only 98.8% accurate. Therefore, 1 in every 100 (7 in this case) of those who showed negative could also have the virus.

    Then again, many in the group that was tested do fall into the 'let's all meet up for a party and a gangbang category' which is probably a bit riskier than the 'shopping at Tesco' or 'catch a bus' brigade.
    Inaccuracy works both ways, some (in fact all, at that rate of inaacuracy) of those could be false positives. Presumably they will be retested.

  36. #436

    Default

    I know of a Dr who tested 3 times in a row. Got 2 negatives and one positive.

  37. #437

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    I know of a Dr who tested 3 times in a row. Got 2 negatives and one positive.
    Best of 5?

  38. #438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    I know of a Dr who tested 3 times in a row. Got 2 negatives and one positive.
    Dr who?

  39. #439

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Perth, in the land of Oz
    Posts
    6,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    Dr who?
    Livingstone, I presume!

  40. #440

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    Dr who?
    No.


  41. #441

    Default

    So far 22 Bundesliga games played since return. Only 3 home wins. The cut outs aren’t doing it

  42. #442

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    So far 22 Bundesliga games played since return. Only 3 home wins. The cut outs aren’t doing it
    For us 3 wins in 22 at home would represent something of a remarkable upturn in form.

  43. #443

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,260

    Default

    I see that there are some more positive tests today, so either the tests are flawed or those 4 players/staff have managed to catch the virus since last week. They'll all probably claim they've been nowhere like the keeper from Bompey.

  44. #444

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,152
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    I see that there are some more positive tests today, so either the tests are flawed or those 4 players/staff have managed to catch the virus since last week. They'll all probably claim they've been nowhere like the keeper from Bompey.
    Different people tested? Clubs were limited to 50 test for staff/players.

  45. #445

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shirleysfc View Post
    Different people tested? Clubs were limited to 50 test for staff/players.
    Possibly, although the first round was about 800 so the second and third rounds must total about 1950. The third round was for 1008 tests apparently so if the 4 cases were tested only in the third round that would make 4 cases from about 50 previously untested.

  46. #446

    Default

    Set to restart on June 19/20 and complete final round of fixtures on/by August 1.

  47. #447

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    Set to restart on June 19/20 and complete final round of fixtures on/by August 1.
    Link?

  48. #448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Link?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...start-june-17/

  49. #449

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,361

    Default

    Cheers

  50. #450

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,260

    Default

    So 9 games in 6 weeks for most teams, 10 in 6 and a bit for the 4 who have a game in hand and up to 13 in 7 weeks for those still involved in the FA Cup.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •