Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Premier Football to restart?

Have we had the death count from yesterday’s games in Germany? No doubt the authorities will be covering up as being paid off by BT

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Have we had the death count from yesterday’s games in Germany? No doubt the authorities will be covering up as being paid off by BT
    I'm not sure why'd you'd expect that sort of information to be available less than 24 hours after the games.

More in general, in Germany the r rate has ticked up with the easing of the lockdown there. That will cost lives. Whether it will cost more lives than keeping the economy closed would have is the calculation they're having to make.

Germany's R rate is now 1 according to the RKI.

https://www.fxstreet.com/news/corona...0-202005150417

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Germany's R rate is now 1 according to the RKI.

https://www.fxstreet.com/news/corona...0-202005150417
    Now "below 1" that should have read.

5. Default

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646282

Premier league to follow suit, now more likely?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post

Can't see it - they might once Liverpool have won the league though...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Can't see it - they might once Liverpool have won the league though...
    Wonder how many naughty scallies will turn up for the game that clinches the title....and knowing they’ll be no victory parade?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post

That is irrelevant. The Premier League clubs can afford the cost of testing, Scottish clubs can't.

what's the situation with Ralph. Is he back or just going to be overseeing training remotely.

Think the restart for this season is garbage, just couldn't care less about it right now. Imagine it'll be no relegation and no title race anyway. Just slow silent training games.

More interested in next season. It'll have to be behind closed doors too. No way there's a fully tested safe vaccine widely distributed until next Spring/Summer.

So a full season of this ghost football. Wonder if it'll just put some people off, make them take it less seriously? Will it be slower football, lower pressure football? Or just the better team coasting to wins? That'd be my fear. So often the better side doesn't win, often away to smaller sides. Big atmospheres, pressure, that little extra effort.

Of course it all works out well for Saints as we're a half decent side with an appalling home record and little atmosphere there anyway.

Also re: next season...while the premier will clearly go ahead behind closed doors, what of the other leagues? They can't all afford the amount of testing and prep needed for that. Yet they can't all keep running without playing. Yet they can't all keep running without match day revenue!

So are we going to see a lot of clubs disappear???

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Also re: next season...while the premier will clearly go ahead behind closed doors, what of the other leagues? They can't all afford the amount of testing and prep needed for that. Yet they can't all keep running without playing. Yet they can't all keep running without match day revenue!

The vaccine may save us and them

13. Default

Haven't read the thread, so not sure if mentioned, but as a spectacle, would Saints games at Staplewood be better on TV than at SMS? Stadia with banks of empty seats is such a bad look. It can't be worse than Staplewood can it?

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Haven't read the thread, so not sure if mentioned, but as a spectacle, would Saints games at Staplewood be better on TV than at SMS? Stadia with banks of empty seats is such a bad look. It can't be worse than Staplewood can it?
    Why would empty seats be a "bad look"? The entire world knows why the seats are empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    what's the situation with Ralph. Is he back or just going to be overseeing training remotely.
    Why would he do it remotely? The is no 2 week quarantine for travellers at present and they are back to training tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    I guess the issue is the TV camera positions. St Mary's is set up for it. Whilst Staplewood has some for the u18 and u23 games, I doubt they have the whole setup that sky etc would want for broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Why would empty seats be a "bad look"? The entire world knows why the seats are empty.
    I'm fully in favour of this approach:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...medium=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post

Personally I would write off the rest of this season but I can see a reason for trying some games this season behind closed doors. It would be a dry run to see if there is any commercial appetite for the product on offer. I don’t think I would pay to watch any of it myself.

I'm fully in favour of this approach:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...medium=twitter
    Those dolls seem to have understood social distancing far better than half the muppets in this country. I suppose when your mouth’s open all the time you’re more likely to catch Covid 19.

Have they mentioned what the knock on for next season will be? Presumably there is no way the new season would be able to start mid-August but, if things have settled down in 12 months they cant go on much more than mid May due to Euro 21.

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    It's my opinion (if that's OK with you?). Looks **** and the sound/echo is dire.

Guess I also didn't take into account goal line tech and VAR at Staplewood.

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesaint View Post
    Have they mentioned what the knock on for next season will be? Presumably there is no way the new season would be able to start mid-August but, if things have settled down in 12 months they cant go on much more than mid May due to Euro 21.
    Sack off the League Cup for a start, that will allow for more midweek league games. No FA Cup replays either. The main need for those is that the smaller clubs get a money spinning replay but if it's all behind closed doors that's less necessary.

Sack off the League Cup for a start, that will allow for more midweek league games. No FA Cup replays either. The main need for those is that the smaller clubs get a money spinning replay but if it's all behind closed doors that's less necessary.
    I’ve never liked cup replays anyway. Every couple of years you’ll get some League 2 high flyer earn a second go at Chelsea or Man Utd’s reserves but for the other hundred and whatever clubs they’re just a pain in the backside.

Every cup tie should be 90 mins, then penalties. Extra time is a load of b*llocks too.

Article in the paper today: https://www.theguardian.com/football...known-frontier

This is the bit that struck me:
    The Bundesliga may have returned successfully last weekend, but there are good reasons for this. Germany has a quarter of the UK death toll to date. Germany has six times fewer new cases of Covid-19 diagnosed every day. Germany has a mature, competent leadership with a clear and transparent plan."

Wonder how many more issues like this before they go back to the drawing board.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52721397

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post

If enough players don’t want to take the risk it obviously won’t go ahead but Watford and The Premier League can crack on fine without one or two players. Deeney is right not to risk his kid, he would be better off staying away from either football or his kid for a month IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    If enough players don’t want to take the risk it obviously won’t go ahead but Watford and The Premier League can crack on fine without one or two players. Deeney is right not to risk his kid, he would be better off staying away from either football or his kid for a month IMO.
    Well by doing this, Deeney is effectively retiring as a footballer until a vaccine is found.
    Not sure Watford can afford to continue paying him on these grounds unless some sort of assurance exists.

Lay off the sauce who you ae confined to barracks!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Good for him.

And the Premier League results are in.

Tests: 768
    Positive for Covid: 6
    Clubs impacted: 3

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/st...392480768?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    And the Premier League results are in.

Tests: 768
    Positive for Covid: 6
    Clubs impacted: 3

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/st...392480768?s=19
    So if you take those ratios and extrapolate them to the UK's population that would give you a bit over 500K cases in all.
    Although most of these cases don't take the tube or the bus or shop at Tesco's so they may be a protected group and the real number of cases becomes much higher.
    Last edited by Window Cleaner; 19-05-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Good for him.

As far as the BAME susceptibility is concerned it's a known fact, don't know why they need another investigation into it.
    The Neanderthals and Denisovans didn't go to Africa or the India subcontinent so in those regions their genome is lacking certain virus resistance that Europeans and Eurasians obtained from them.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06940-x
    Last edited by Window Cleaner; 19-05-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    So if you take those ratios and extrapolate them to the UK's population that would give you a bit over 500K cases in all.
    Although most of these cases don't take the tube or the bus or shop at Tesco's so they may be a protected group and the real number of cases becomes much higher.
    Possibly even more, as the test used is only 98.8% accurate. Therefore, 1 in every 100 (7 in this case) of those who showed negative could also have the virus.

Then again, many in the group that was tested do fall into the 'let's all meet up for a party and a gangbang category' which is probably a bit riskier than the 'shopping at Tesco' or 'catch a bus' brigade.

Blog Entries

Or maybe just look at a properly designed survey based on a larger sample:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...gland14may2020

I see Ian Woan has tested positive -always remember him turning it on for Forest against us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minsk View Post
    Possibly even more, as the test used is only 98.8% accurate. Therefore, 1 in every 100 (7 in this case) of those who showed negative could also have the virus.

Then again, many in the group that was tested do fall into the 'let's all meet up for a party and a gangbang category' which is probably a bit riskier than the 'shopping at Tesco' or 'catch a bus' brigade.
    Inaccuracy works both ways, some (in fact all, at that rate of inaacuracy) of those could be false positives. Presumably they will be retested.

I know of a Dr who tested 3 times in a row. Got 2 negatives and one positive.

Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    Best of 5?

Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    Dr who?

Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    Dr who?
    Livingstone, I presume!

Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    Dr who?
    No.

So far 22 Bundesliga games played since return. Only 3 home wins. The cut outs aren’t doing it

So far 22 Bundesliga games played since return. Only 3 home wins. The cut outs aren’t doing it
    For us 3 wins in 22 at home would represent something of a remarkable upturn in form.

I see that there are some more positive tests today, so either the tests are flawed or those 4 players/staff have managed to catch the virus since last week. They'll all probably claim they've been nowhere like the keeper from Bompey.

Blog Entries

I see that there are some more positive tests today, so either the tests are flawed or those 4 players/staff have managed to catch the virus since last week. They'll all probably claim they've been nowhere like the keeper from Bompey.
    Different people tested? Clubs were limited to 50 test for staff/players.

Quote Originally Posted by shirleysfc View Post
    Different people tested? Clubs were limited to 50 test for staff/players.
    Possibly, although the first round was about 800 so the second and third rounds must total about 1950. The third round was for 1008 tests apparently so if the 4 cases were tested only in the third round that would make 4 cases from about 50 previously untested.

Set to restart on June 19/20 and complete final round of fixtures on/by August 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    Set to restart on June 19/20 and complete final round of fixtures on/by August 1.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Link?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...start-june-17/

Cheers

So 9 games in 6 weeks for most teams, 10 in 6 and a bit for the 4 who have a game in hand and up to 13 in 7 weeks for those still involved in the FA Cup.