Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Yes they can. Of course it depends on what analysis and game plan HMRC are working to, i.e. do they need the skates to be out of admin or not to proceed with plans? Do they need to use all the time to force the skates into a corner and gather information regarding the CVA and other avenues they are pursuing.

I doubt HMRC will be influenced by the fact the club will be out of admin so techically* can buy players.

* The FL would have to agree terms of lifting the embargo and restrictions to contracting players to the club may still apply, especially this season as new regulations have been added to the FL rulebook.

Would the FL look to ask the likes of HMRC if they plan to appeal the CVA before they lift any transfer embargo? No idea if its worth doing or not but it seems a sensible thing to do.

Would the FL look to ask the likes of HMRC if they plan to appeal the CVA before they lift any transfer embargo? No idea if its worth doing or not but it seems a sensible thing to do.

Much will depend on:

1) what information has been passed on by the PL

2) what information has been given by the skates

3) what detail are in the new regulations regarding financial status of clubs and any permissible sanctions

As we found out, Saints may have be legally correct in pursuing the loophole regarding which company was in admin but the Football League has to keep the interests of all its members satisfied especially if an advantage over all others is being exploited.

Do tell me when that was. I can't be arsed to look it up, but I'd guess it was when Portsmouth was still a major naval port and we still had national service. Have you ever had higher average attendances in, let's be generous - the last 20 years?

Back around the mid-'50's when the 'land-fill' was pretty much all standing. Seem to remember a gate of around 52,000 in an FA Cup match against ?. Newcastle Utd, or Man' City. Saints of course were still at The Dell which restricted us to around 32,000 max,

I note that on the Wikipedia page for the Skates, they claim "The club is the most successful southern club outside of London"

Now, this simply is not true, is it? Sure, they can state that in terms of silverware they shade their main rivals Southampton, but otherwise Southampton have historically been more successful in terms of playing at a higher league level for many more seasons than Portsmouth.

I can't be arsed to change it, but perhaps somebody else might be prepared to correct that statement.

Just checking in to see if there is any news.

Do you have any stats on the top flight thing? Must be quite close, unlike the honours. Oh sorry, in the "modern era"* honours are even its the same.

*The modern era is a period of time defined by Saints fans that primarily exlcudes any sucessful period for their rivals. This does NOT exlude any sucessful period for Saints. ie. 1976 is very much the modern era.

Do you have any stats on the top flight thing? Must be quite close, unlike the honours. Oh sorry, in the "modern era"* honours are even its the same.

*The modern era is a period of time defined by Saints fans that primarily exlcudes any sucessful period for their rivals. This does NOT exlude any sucessful period for Saints. ie. 1976 is very much the modern era.

Portsmouth City Football club is a totally different entity to Portsmouth football club, although both a similar as both left small businesses out of pocket and went into administration.

Therefore the latter won the FA cup most recently (of course fielding a team that was brought together with funds that were never paid/outstanding) Fills you with pride im sure.

I agree regarding the FA cup win in 76 is a long time ago and the majority will not even have been born let alone attended the game. Of course the 1939 event will have perhaps a handful who are still alive who attended that.

Portsmouth City Football club is a totally different entity to Portsmouth football club, although both a similar as both left small businesses out of pocket and went into administration.

Therefore the latter won the FA cup most recently (of course fielding a team that was brought together with funds that were never paid/outstanding) Fills you with pride im sure.

I agree regarding the FA cup win in 76 is a long time ago and the majority will not even have been born let alone attended the game. Of course the 1939 event will have perhaps a handful who are still alive who attended that.

You know, I am actaully quite looking forward to your meteoric rise back to the prem. I really hope you dont spend beyon your means to get there though. I hope you have all already told your billlionaire chairman that you do NOT want any players beyond what the club can afford.

To be honest though with gate revenue you should easily make it back to the championship. As for a push beyond that, I think it will have to be spending beyond your means or accept a return to the prem is unlikely.

You know, I am actaully quite looking forward to your meteoric rise back to the prem. I really hope you dont spend beyon your means to get there though. I hope you have all already told your billlionaire chairman that you do NOT want any players beyond what the club can afford.

To be honest though with gate revenue you should easily make it back to the championship. As for a push beyond that, I think it will have to be spending beyond your means or accept a return to the prem is unlikely.

Thats the difference though. Our new owners are already looking into the infrostructure and will adjust accordingly as we rise back up through the leagues. We are investing in the training facilitys and will be putting lots of effort into the acadamy so we are producing top class players instead of having to pay out ridiculas amounts on prima dona's.

How is your new ground comming along?

An interesting analysis. So explain how the likes of Blackpool, Burnley, Hull, Derby, Watford, without the benefit of large gates, overspending, a sugardaddy, or parachute payments were promoted in the last few years. Any team in the Championship that plays well can get to the Premier, staying there is another matter.

There is borrowing and able to afford and there is borrowing well above your means without ever having the ability to pay back. To carry on even after you know you cant, is reprehensible.

Your club at best will have revenue streams based on 20k crowds wheras we have revenue streams on 32500.

Have you been ill or abroad as you disappeared for months on end, you and Ho must be twins.

There is borrowing and able to afford and there is borrowing well above your means without ever having the ability to pay back. To carry on even after you know you cant, is reprehensible.

Your club at best will have revenue streams based on 20k crowds wheras we have revenue streams on 32500.

Have you been ill or abroad as you disappeared for months on end, you and Ho must be twins.

I only come on here when there is something to discuss. I am a Pompey fans, this is a Saints board.

At an average of £20 per ticket over 23 games I think thats a difference in income of 500,000. Barely enough for a decent league one player. TBH though we wont be getting 20k crowds and you wont be getting 32k crowds. Not unless we both get back to the Prem. I am assuming you still have hefty stadium payments? Or has it been paid off? If its been paid off then you prob have to spend roughly the same as Pompey on stadia. I think the main money really comes from TV still, which I guess will be more loaded toward Pompey for the next season or two.

Leeds are currently spending to their means and they have managed to get out of league one. They will most likely be in with a good chance of the Prem eventually. They will most likely have to spend beyond their means to stay there. What hope is there for Saints and Pompey. Championship at best. Or overspend.

I really dont know the figures TBH. But, I think that you would be more likely to return to the Prem than us if neither had a sugar Daddy simply because of your infrastructure. I dont think there is that much difference though, which I think means both of us will have to overspend to get back to the Prem. Of course, you have someon that will do that for you - and good luck to you.

Yes Burnley, etc managed it. Its more the exception than the rule though.

I TBH though we wont be getting 20k crowds and you wont be getting 32k crowds. Not unless we both get back to the Prem. I am assuming you still have hefty stadium payments? Or has it been paid off? If its been paid off then you prob have to spend roughly the same as Pompey on stadia. I think the main money really comes from TV still, which I guess will be more loaded toward Pompey for the next season or two.

Saints have no debt on the stadium. Liebherr is also funding a new training ground complex in the New Forest(which has now got planning permission), academy upgrade and is looking in the future to expand St Mary's or relocate to a new stadium.

- Saints were bottom half of League One for a large part of last season and averaged 21k playing Yeovil, Exeter and Wycombe etc.

- Pompey in the Premiership averaged 18k playing Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal etc. And had 3,000 empty seats and sometimes as many as 5,000 empty in an already small stadium in the best League in the world.

Saints should be challenging for promotion next season in League One and I predict an average circa 23/24k. In the Championship if challenging for promotion it will be circa 27/28k.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I only come on here when there is something to discuss. I am a Pompey fans, this is a Saints board.

At an average of £20 per ticket over 23 games I think thats a difference in income of 500,000. Barely enough for a decent league one player. TBH though we wont be getting 20k crowds and you wont be getting 32k crowds. Not unless we both get back to the Prem. I am assuming you still have hefty stadium payments? Or has it been paid off? If its been paid off then you prob have to spend roughly the same as Pompey on stadia. I think the main money really comes from TV still, which I guess will be more loaded toward Pompey for the next season or two.

Leeds are currently spending to their means and they have managed to get out of league one. They will most likely be in with a good chance of the Prem eventually. They will most likely have to spend beyond their means to stay there. What hope is there for Saints and Pompey. Championship at best. Or overspend.

I really dont know the figures TBH. But, I think that you would be more likely to return to the Prem than us if neither had a sugar Daddy simply because of your infrastructure. I dont think there is that much difference though, which I think means both of us will have to overspend to get back to the Prem. Of course, you have someon that will do that for you - and good luck to you.

There is nothing wrong with overspending to a degree, but 138m and counting!!!!! That is what offends me, it was pointed out time and again that you could not afford the players you had and all the mad plans Ho's contacts were telling him/us that were ongoing.You have been fortunate to enjoy the fruits of of robbery. Im sure most football fans in the country barring the top 4 would do the same, especially as you only have been penalised -9 and that didn't make a difference as you went down by 15 points.

Im sure had it been your sister club Wigan i would not be so interested but I would have been just as displeased knowing they had gained at the expense of others to have those good times. Every club you beat in the last 3 years or so, has been down to you fielding a team that you shouldnt have. If it was so easy to field a team of internationals on 50-100k a week then Blackburn Wigan Burnkley Wolves etc would do so.

I know I'm not going to see proper penalties imposed on your club and so your fanbase will always have the memories and experiences at no cost.

At an average of £20 per ticket over 23 games I think thats a difference in income of 500,000.

Try again, but then we always knew that maths & money weren't a skate strong point!!!

32,000 - 20, 000 = 12,000 extra heads per game

12,000 x 23 matches x £20 = £5.52m

But you're right - we won't get £32k & you won't get 20k, in reality we'll get 20k and you'll possibly scrape 15k in your hole so the true figure is probably about only £2.3m in extra revenue. But that shouldn't worry you, what with your transfer embargo still in place.....

Back around the mid-'50's when the 'land-fill' was pretty much all standing. Seem to remember a gate of around 52,000 in an FA Cup match against ?. Newcastle Utd, or Man' City. Saints of course were still at The Dell which restricted us to around 32,000 max,

Cheers! Spyinthesky (ta!) above has given more detail of what I instinctively knew was true.

But you're right - we won't get £32k & you won't get 20k, in reality we'll get 20k and you'll possibly scrape 15k in your hole so the true figure is probably about only £2.3m in extra revenue. But that shouldn't worry you, what with your transfer embargo still in place.....

I'm more optimistic: we'll get 22/23k, they'll barely scrape 14k with (ahem, cough, cough) today's squad..

In reality it's the good old HMRC that will sort out the problems which beset English football.

Clubs can accept any stupid offer from any skint club at the moment, because they know that the "rules" mean that they will get paid in full, whatever happens. When the football creditor's rule disappears, clubs will have to assess offers on their merits, and only accept offers from clubs that they think can, and will, pay. Transfer fees will inevitably decline.

So far as wages go, clubs will no longer be able to spend "recklessly" above their means, relying on being bailed out by the admin process if it goes belly up. The League(s) will have to accept that they have absolutely no control over whether football debts get paid in full or not, so will have to be prepared to either kick clubs out of existence, or impose automatic relegations/massive points deductions to make sure that clubs are not tempted to do it. At the moment clubs can even go into administration and not be relegated (Palace this year). The League would not accept this if Palace's football debts were not paid in full, and they wouldn't be unless all it's other debts were paid in full as well.

It will take a few years, but it will happen.

So, you didn't think there was anything to discuss during your administration and subsequent implosion?

Also, have you borrowed AA's calculator?

The difference between 32,000 and 20,000 is 12,000.

At around £20 per game that is £240,000

Times that by 23 games in a season and you get £5,520,000 which is quite a long way from your £500k. You're not an accountant at PFC by any chance are you?

So, you didn't think there was anything to discuss during your administration and subsequent implosion?

Also, have you borrowed AA's calculator?

The difference between 32,000 and 20,000 is 12,000.

At around £20 per game that is £240,000

Times that by 23 games in a season and you get £5,520,000 which is quite a long way from your £500k. You're not an accountant at PFC by any chance are you?

Carlsberg don't do accountancy but if they did & they'd drunk 24 cans of the wretched stuff, they'd still be able to count better than the skates

What is the modearn era? Good question and subjective.

For me it's post 1966 but you could argue post Hillsborough or even the 1st Sky game.

That made me LOL - I like your style sir, very good (for a skate...!).

As others have pointed out, the difference in GATE RECEIPTS ALONE is 10 times that which you quote. Then there is corporate hospitality (I do understand that you would not know about this if you only ever visit Nottarf Krap), other additional incomes that a modern stadium brings (again, I forgive you for not knowing about these), other monies spent by fans on a matchday, etc, etc.

So the difference is quite a huge one. I bet you wish Poopey even had the 5.5m to spend on players (legitimately, for a change) this close season.

TBF The 'Modern Era' thing is subjective but based on the fact that there are unlikely to be too many fans of either side who are alive and supporting their respective teams for + 50 years

It's quite simple really. If said billionaire owner decides to spend, for example, £100m on Ronaldo and pays him £200k per week out of his own pocket, then the club is living within its means (even if the club only has an average crowd of one man and his dog). The same is true if the money is borrowed and the billionaire owner pays it back at whatever time frame is agreed upon. It may seem unfair for a few clubs to have a sugar daddies, but that's life and it doesn't break any rules.

Unless ML defaults on any debts (and by all accounts there aren't even any) Saints are living within their means.

It's when an owner (rich or not) borrows money to fund a squad of highly paid mercenaries for a tin-pot club, and otherwise could not afford players on 1/4 of the salaries, and then goes into administration, paying back creditors 20p in the pound, that's when they were living beyond their means. Not only did they steal from creditors, but also from other teams who lived within their means but were denied a place in the PL or progress in the Cup by the

CHEATING BASTARDS

Fair play to PompeyinReading for coming on here..the funny thing is, they slate us and Markus in particular without doing their homework.

IF they hated us as much as we dislike them, they'd KNOW we had no debt attached to StMarys... :lol:

Although ReadingPompeyFan is nice and polite, you can't deny that as a whole, the Pompey fans STILL don't get it.

One more time then..... 'Pompey were NEVER living within their means, even when they signed Campbell etc it was all based on DEBT'

TBF The 'Modern Era' thing is subjective but based on the fact that there are unlikely to be too many fans of either side who are alive and supporting their respective teams for + 50 years

Oi! Some of us go back much longer than that! :)

I'll be really generous with you, but I hope that you will accept what I say to be fair and objective.

Today, it is my 61st birthday. When I was born in 1949, Pompey were pretty well at their peak. It was just after the war and they had benefitted from having footballers attached to them from their time in the services during the war.

So as I'm now an old codger, qualified by age to have a bus pass and a winter heating allowance, surely you would deem it fair to commence the comparison of the success of the two clubs from the time of my birth. Well, as I said, your team started my formative years as the top of the pile in the English game, but during that 61 years, Saints have been far more successful than the Skates in terms of higher league positions, playing in the top flight for much longer and with higher attendances, even though for many years we had restricted capacity in the old Dell.

But if you wish to go back even further, then fair enough, but I suspect that there would be little relevance unless you were alive at the time yourself.

In reality it's the good old HMRC that will sort out the problems which beset English football.

Clubs can accept any stupid offer from any skint club at the moment, because they know that the "rules" mean that they will get paid in full, whatever happens. When the football creditor's rule disappears, clubs will have to assess offers on their merits, and only accept offers from clubs that they think can, and will, pay. Transfer fees will inevitably decline.

So far as wages go, clubs will no longer be able to spend "recklessly" above their means, relying on being bailed out by the admin process if it goes belly up. The League(s) will have to accept that they have absolutely no control over whether football debts get paid in full or not, so will have to be prepared to either kick clubs out of existence, or impose automatic relegations/massive points deductions to make sure that clubs are not tempted to do it. At the moment clubs can even go into administration and not be relegated (Palace this year). The League would not accept this if Palace's football debts were not paid in full, and they wouldn't be unless all it's other debts were paid in full as well.

It will take a few years, but it will happen.

Wages will go down for the same reason.

Hi Westender

You may be interested to know that P----y were 'cheating' even around the time of your your birth.

Example: Jimmy Scoular actually appeared for two clubs in the same FA Cup competition, namely Gosport Borough Athletic and then the Skates. 1948-1949 era.

Stands back. Awaits the flak.

The modern era is 1976-1984. Simple :)

Make that 1975 so that we can include the Micky Channon inspired 4-0 thrashing of Skatesmuff at The Dell and also of course take in the whole 75/76 season which saw us win The FA Cup and our all conquering neighbours relegated to the 3rd tier.

That season their average home gate was below 10500, a figure that was somewhat helped by the near on 10000 Saints fans at their sh!thole in the just over 24000 crowd a few days after we had beaten Palarse in the semi finals.

It may or may not count as modern era, but it certainly was a golden era.

Roni maneh and Yoram Yossifoff..were they not part of the regime at Pompey?,both had their homes raided by the Tax authorities yesterday and were questioned.

This is the nearest official link...http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/officials-question-real-estate-mogul-over-tax-evasion-1.297329

so that will be two of Chanrai's investor friends then, fresh from their appearances in the director's box.

I do hope they've loaned dirty money to Chanrai/the club and linked these new tax evasion enquiries to the rest of the court cases.

It would be hilarious if it was these two that are funding the admin illegally!!

The fraud squad will need a pack of cards pretty soon - is Storrie the ace as he brings everyone else down?

It's quite simple really. If said billionaire owner decides to spend, for example, £100m on Ronaldo and pays him £200k per week out of his own pocket, then the club is living within its means (even if the club only has an average crowd of one man and his dog). The same is true if the money is borrowed and the billionaire owner pays it back at whatever time frame is agreed upon. It may seem unfair for a few clubs to have a sugar daddies, but that's life and it doesn't break any rules.

Unless ML defaults on any debts (and by all accounts there aren't even any) Saints are living within their means.

It's when an owner (rich or not) borrows money to fund a squad of highly paid mercenaries for a tin-pot club, and otherwise could not afford players on 1/4 of the salaries, and then goes into administration, paying back creditors 20p in the pound, that's when they were living beyond their means. Not only did they steal from creditors, but also from other teams who lived within their means but were denied a place in the PL or progress in the Cup by the

CHEATING BASTARDS

And funnily enough Gaydamak told us he was doing exactly that. Just like your being told as well

And funnily enough Gaydamak told us he was doing exactly that. Just like your being told as well

When you find some information that Liebherr's wealth is not based on the construction and rail industry, but instead based on amassing debt, money laundering, gun running, tax evasion and selling landmines I'll start to worry.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Which is why some of us have publicly questioned it, including having the question read out in a radio interview on Solent.

The answer from NC was "clear" if you are a skate fan believing all you are told and "concerningly short on detail" if you are sceptical like me.

Would appreciate you finding and posting links to where the few, or Solent or The Echo asked the same questions of Sacha or Storrie teller.

Roni maneh and Yoram Yossifoff..were they not part of the regime at Pompey?,both had their homes raided by the Tax authorities yesterday and were questioned.

This is the nearest official link...http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/officials-question-real-estate-mogul-over-tax-evasion-1.297329

Ironically it mentions dealings with Gaydamak Snr....here we go again..... Maneh-Gaydamak-Chinarai

Gaydamak went on Quay Radio before the FA Cup Final in 2008 and said none of the debt was against PFC it was all against him. What he didnt say however was his personal loans to the club were against us

But he was shady from the off, wasn't he? Twenty-something son of a notorious criminal oligarch with nothing but a series of failed businesses to show for himself turns up claiming he has personally made enough money to fund the dream for Poopey. You believed what you wanted to believe. (Ditto Al-Fahim when we could all see he was dodgy as feck).

Nothing I have yet seen suggests that Liebherr is anything other than a respectable businessman whose family have biult up a large & respected global business, who could see a bargain on offer to have bit of fun with and maybe live the dream. But he is not pouring in mega-millions, but steadily building up the team & infrastructure to take us back to the Prem. Where we go in the future, who knows, but as of today he seems a man of integrity, and I don't think anyone outside Portsea Island ever thought that of the Gaydy's.

Whats up with the two votes being cast???

One for unsecured creditor claims admitted for voting and the second for unsecured creditor claims addmitted for voting less connected parties

Whats the difference in laymans terms?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})