Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

there isn't a shred of humour in you,

That's the rub.

Forget the embarrassing backtracking [Noodles and Frankfurters all round!] and faux[actually it is probably genuine, if monumentally misguided]-smugness, the guy is clearly a completely unpleasant individual.

[

Pretty sure Lampitt's role is (was) to avoid the cesspit overflowing. Will be interesting to see what happens now he has been pushed to one side.

Lots of conspiracy theories on here about Lampitt being a FL plant. From what I hear, it's exactly the opposite. Ask yourself who appointed him and why. Remember the old hippy slogan - "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". Which one is Lampitt?

That is why his name was sung at FP on at least one occaision last season then??

I said the majority called him Storrie teller. Some did sing his name, but it was very few. Unsursrisingly, just like Saints fans, different Pompey fans have different opinions.

NO one whinged abolut you 'cheating' when you won the cup, because at that time, possibly like you it was a) no known that you had not been paying Mr Taxman, and in principle if can afford a loan, the the repayments etc than legally nothing wrong and you can spend it on what you wish... unfortunately, itb was in effect cheating which has come to light with the benefit of hindisght in that a) you could not actually afford any repyent, b) the club had no plan in place to repay it (even a Champions league 20 mil + extra revenue, would have left you with a debt mountain - which not being a brief, I cant comment on the legality of ) c) you had not been paying the taxman, and perhaps the most important point, this debt did not even go on decent infrastructure... just ****ed against a wall on the hope of transient success through rapidly depreciating player assets.

The 'cheat' tag as you probaly well know refere to the simple fact that prior to that cup win in at the start of that season, it was was reported in the media (and not challenged by the club) that you were close to 40 mil in debt already (unsecured) - what did the club do? Did it shed big earners, recognise it could not go that way, understand the footballing consequences? NO, it kept spending on players that the clubs around them on similar levels of standard revenue, could not afford creating an unfair competitive advantage.

FC, you make some intelligent points but again like others fail to give a balanced picture. For instance, how much did we owe HMRC back in 2008? Nothing to very little as far as I know. Yes, we were £40m in debt but with £40m odd a year coming in from TV and more from gate money. Not forgetting that most PL clubs were in far more debt than us (and still are, check out Fulham for example). But, the fact is that we had a squad that probably doubled what we paid for those players in transfer revenue when we came to sell them. Distin, Diarra, Muntari, Johnson, Benjani - look at what we paid for them and what we sold them for. I accept that we paid a lot in wages but for a total transfer outlay of about £8m on that lot we recouped around £60m in fees. Again I accept that it's a gamble but it's not as simple as you saying we were £40m in debt and that's it. We had quality assets and if we'd carried on like that, selling a player or two a year for big profits and building the squad that way it's a decent recipe. It's no good you guys saying we should have invested in infrastructure - how many times have we talked about a new ground for Pompey on here? Pompey fans want a new ground and want someone to invest in that. You can't blame us fans for that lack of investment. The problem came when Gaydamak stopped funding and Standard Bank called in a £40m loan overnight. It's what happened to you to put you into admin but on a bigger scale. Yes you got a new stadium but don't you think Pompey fans want that sort of investment?

Whatever anyone says, nothing will persuade me me from my view that Pompey had enough assets to sell to avoid the recent collapse but they've been used in a business scam for other people's financial benefit.

[

Lots of conspiracy theories on here about Lampitt being a FL plant. From what I hear, it's exactly the opposite. Ask yourself who appointed him and why. Remember the old hippy slogan - "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". Which one is Lampitt?

I said the majority called him Storrie teller. Some did sing his name, but it was very few. Unsursrisingly, just like Saints fans, different Pompey fans have different opinions.

FC, you make some intelligent points but again like others fail to give a balanced picture. For instance, how much did we owe HMRC back in 2008? Nothing to very little as far as I know. Yes, we were £40m in debt but with £40m odd a year coming in from TV and more from gate money. Not forgetting that most PL clubs were in far more debt than us (and still are, check out Fulham for example). But, the fact is that we had a squad that probably doubled what we paid for those players in transfer revenue when we came to sell them. Distin, Diarra, Muntari, Johnson, Benjani - look at what we paid for them and what we sold them for. I accept that we paid a lot in wages but for a total transfer outlay of about £8m on that lot we recouped around £60m in fees. Again I accept that it's a gamble but it's not as simple as you saying we were £40m in debt and that's it. We had quality assets and if we'd carried on like that, selling a player or two a year for big profits and building the squad that way it's a decent recipe. It's no good you guys saying we should have invested in infrastructure - how many times have we talked about a new ground for Pompey on here? Pompey fans want a new ground and want someone to invest in that. You can't blame us fans for that lack of investment. The problem came when Gaydamak stopped funding and Standard Bank called in a £40m loan overnight. It's what happened to you to put you into admin but on a bigger scale. Yes you got a new stadium but don't you think Pompey fans want that sort of investment?

Whatever anyone says, nothing will persuade me me from my view that Pompey had enough assets to sell to avoid the recent collapse but they've been used in a business scam for other people's financial benefit.

And he is still there !

Roll on another 700 pages of fun and laughter :)

Nick, pretty much all PL clubs are running at a loss (not just PL clubs I might add) so debt is not a surprise. You say here you were losing at least £6m a year (players you couldn't afford? CHEATS).

Some key differences: Ours happened after some major cuts in our income, Sky money coming into Pompey was actually on the up. Secondly the vast majority of our total debt was investment in infrastructure not wages.

Many of the players on high wages like Distin and Campbell were free transfers so while the wages were high if you factored in what we saved on transfers it probably evened out. I'll give you an example - we could have bought an average PL defender and paid £3m for him and paid him £30K a week for two years and it would have cost us £6m. Or we could sign Distin on a free and pay him £60K a week and it wouldn't have cost us any more.

But if you can't afford the £6m in the first place it makes no difference. To be fair Pompey did really well in some instances like Diarra which was great business but agents fees, paying off other clubs and needing quick sales meant that the end result from most of the deals really didn't turn out as well as they could have done.

All well and good citing the likes of Diarra, Benjani, etc, who Pompey made a profit on when they were sold, but there were plenty of others who made the club nothing.

Teddy Sheringham, signed on a free, one year's wages at £40k a week = £2m, left on a free. Total cost, £2m + PAYE/NI

Sol Campbell, signed on a free, two years' wages at £50k a week (with Arsenal matching it) = £5m + PAYE/NI... plus another year of Pompey being his sole paymasters, at anywhere between £50k and £100k a week, potentially £5m a year, so a potential total of £10m + PAYE/NI. Left on a free.

Even players like Defoe, signed for £7.5m, sold for £15m a year later, but on £80k a week during that time, so that's at least £4m, meaning they only made a maximum "real" profit of £3.5m (and that's obviously not taking into account PAYE/NI, bonuses, image rights, signing-on fees, etc).

Peter Crouch, signed for £9m, sold for £9m, according to Soccerbase. Again, £80k a week after tax. At least a £4m loss.

The net transfer spend argument just doesn't work in reality because the associated costs with transfers, player contracts, etc have such a massive impact.

Would it be wrong to suggest Lampit had uncovered what was going on but was 'persuaded' to join Pimpey thus hindering any FA investigation and enabling him to help with the cover-up. Allegedly of course.

Because I'm a conspiracy theorist, I still wonder if he was, in fact, imposed by the FA to see what was (and still is) going on. Maybe P**pey were told they could perhaps get the various payments early as long as they had him in charge?

I wish, anyway ............

[

Ho when you debate fairly you do yourself more favours than when you come on and give the ****y comments and so you get back a better response, therefore you are getting reasonable replies at present.

As for your reply, it is interesting how you put the slant on Lampit. I suspect we all are wondering who/why he was parachuted in. In my opinion it was to clear up the mess for the PL,there are too many self interests for them not to make sure the trail runs dry.It astounded me that the fraud squad did not go in before AA and when he did he allowed PS to stick around watching. Add to that all the other people in this episode. I also believe there was a lot going on well before Gaydamek, and MM is not above being looked at.

For all decent Pompey fans i care for the others!!

All well and good citing the likes of Diarra, Benjani, etc, who Pompey made a profit on when they were sold, but there were plenty of others who made the club nothing.

Teddy Sheringham, signed on a free, one year's wages at £40k a week = £2m, left on a free. Total cost, £2m + PAYE/NI

Sol Campbell, signed on a free, two years' wages at £50k a week (with Arsenal matching it) = £5m + PAYE/NI... plus another year of Pompey being his sole paymasters, at anywhere between £50k and £100k a week, potentially £5m a year, so a potential total of £10m + PAYE/NI. Left on a free.

Even players like Defoe, signed for £7.5m, sold for £15m a year later, but on £80k a week during that time, so that's at least £4m, meaning they only made a maximum "real" profit of £3.5m (and that's obviously not taking into account PAYE/NI, bonuses, image rights, signing-on fees, etc).

Peter Crouch, signed for £9m, sold for £9m, according to Soccerbase. Again, £80k a week after tax. At least a £4m loss.

The net transfer spend argument just doesn't work in reality because the associated costs with transfers, player contracts, etc have such a massive impact.

Lol at the notion of PAYE and NI ;)

there was talk that the HMRC would look over the books once the company is liquidated. Will that really happen?

You better believe it.

This is the one part of the story that won't go away. HMRC themselves came up with the offer to Gaydamak to relinquish his claim to 30 million or they would come after the Directors. It matters not for gaydamak in the grand scheme of things, we just wont see him on these shores again, but whatever android comes back with, they will try and scratch underneath the surface and whilst i dont expect they will get close to the full story they will get close enough to go after Storrie and Gaydamak for personal liability. Infact all they have to prove is that the club traded insolvently and others were paid out of line, ahead of them. For all the amusement he provided, i actually feel sorry for storrie. Regardless of who held the purse strings, storrie title and role leave him liable and just one cheque written to another creditor in preference of HMRC and he could be in trouble....... This part of the story will run and run long after they are sold again or liquidated or whatever happens to them.

pompey have butt fooked the tax man infront of the eyes of the world, they scrapped through the court case, which was undertaken to send a clear message to football clubs, the next message will be to the directors of those clubs and a certain individual in hayling will be absolutely bricking it.

[

Selective hearing and memory then....... Think you will find it was a lot more than a 'very few', I know Pompey fans who were there and they said it was a lot who were singing. He was treated like a saviour when there was the sniff of a rich Arab being brought on board. Shame that the 'saviour' could only find Ali Al Mirage to replace Dr Dolittle.

Because I'm a conspiracy theorist, I still wonder if he was, in fact, imposed by the FA to see what was (and still is) going on. Maybe P**pey were told they could perhaps get the various payments early as long as they had him in charge?

I wish, anyway ............

Also, Ho's theory works as well. Somebody at the club who needed to keep a lid on things may well have brought him in as a cover. Actually works slightly better this way - stopped too many people looking under the bonnet

they have to sort out the extradition treaty with Hayling first - though he'll go even more bonkers if he never leaves there.

Talk about a rock and a hard place - sharing the showers at Wormwood Scrubs with a moustachioed Millwall fan of a certain persuasion, or a lifetime's exile on the island known as the Broadmoor of the south

Some key differences: Ours happened after some major cuts in our income, Sky money coming into Pompey was actually on the up. Secondly the vast majority of our total debt was investment in infrastructure not wages.

But if you can't afford the £6m in the first place it makes no difference. To be fair Pompey did really well in some instances like Diarra which was great business but agents fees, paying off other clubs and needing quick sales meant that the end result from most of the deals really didn't turn out as well as they could have done.

Oh jesus, I give up. It's actually quite worrying the Skates just DON'T get it... even plainly spelt out to them like this..

Been saying for months Lampitt was there to sweep away everything... It's obvious. For a start, it's glaringly suspicious that the FA's "head of football integrity" gets appointed at the most rotten, corrupt football club in the country, possibly Europe.

"head of football integrity"... there it is again, that name....

What surprises me is that various Skates have come on here spouting forth on conspiracy theories about how the whole sorry saga was a scam or a money laundering exercise, that the plan all along was to get the club liquidated so that the land could be developed, that Chainrai intervened either to exact revenge on Gaydamak, or that he was in league with Chainrai from the beginning, etc. The speculation regarding the parts played by the fake sheik and the non-existant sheik, who Fahim's backers were, all adds spice to the mix.

What perplexes me, is that there have been all of these leaks and resultant speculation, but yet no investigative journalist has managed to uncover the truth. But surely if somebody did do some digging, the incentive to do so would probably be the biggest scandal in British football in recent history. So how come the scandal of the share trading involving our club at the time of the reverse takeover became the subject of a Panorama programme called "The Share Game", yet the presumably much more scandalous set of affairs that has unfolded at Skatesmouth doesn't seem to be the subject of investigation by a number of journos eager to gain the scoop of their career?

Perhaps most Skates are concerned at the people who have been involved in bringing this misfortune onto their club, but secretly content that on the way they had some cup glory and some time in the sunshine of the Premiership that has made it all worthwhile.

Otherwise, there would be groups of fans formed to militate for the chain of events to be investigated and for pressure to be applied to the footballing authorities to pass legislation to prevent it happening again. I don't see much evidence of this taking place.

PAYE/ NI? Don't confuse them, they're struggling enough with the maths already.

Oh, and Sue, don't start mentioning thngs like Socratic dialogue on here, it makes you look desperate to impress and very, very needy, not to mention a pseud of the highest order

Ho, I enjoy your cage rattling posts but unless you're playing the irony card this is a just a bit hypocritical.

I can see how Ho's scenario would work - its plausible, but I dont think its the most likely option. Surely if you just wanted to cash money out of the club you would just cut all costs to the bone, play 20 trainees on £150pw and pocket the remaining parachute payments. When the parachute has gone and the club in Lg2 or lower then you could argue it is no longer viable and redevelop Fratton into offices / flats.

That surely is BC's plan B. Plan A is the gamble to get promotion this year. We'll enjoying watching plan B unfold the moment it becomes obvious that they aren't going up.

I genuinely find it refreshing to encounter a Pompey fan (outside of my own personal Pompey supporting friends) who recognises what is going on. This is a very good post.

Problem is the vast majority of fans just don't recognise the crisis you are in, although it is understandable because a lot of the media doesn't appear to either. A lot of the fans still don't have a clue that the club can nowhere near afford the players you have now, regardless of the debt you still owe and the £80-90 million that the creditors have been done out of. They still think Pompey have a right to field a team of PL players on PL money in the championship with massive debts, and they STILL don't see a problem with it even after what has happened in the last couple of years. On the pitch Pompey have had hardly any pain yet, 1 relegation is nowhere near to where the club will eventually fall if still run in its current state.

As for the creative accounting that has gone on, why liquidate the club when there is still value in it?

As has been pointed out the one thing I don't get is why pay the players obscene wages, the only thing I can think of is they are being funded directly by the gate receipts to merely keep them there, and when they are eventually sold the transfer money will go straight into the wallet of Chainrai. Although this doesn't explain why the loan players are on obscene money.

Plan A. See above.

er there is no difference In law on both accounts you are guilty of speeding.

Going 'off-thread' slightly, I thought that speed cameras, guns, etc were calibrated to record speeds within the nominal speed limit plus 10%, and plus another 2mph allowance for camera reactions. i.e. some react quicker than others.

Thus you would probably get away, in some areas at least, with 35mph but fail on 36mph

Answers on the back of a 'Fiver' please.

Ah, brilliant... This is CoHo, all confident (and smarmy as usual) back on the 9th July 2009.

LOL. Does a thread about Pompey's proposed takeover that reaches three pages in a couple of hours once again demonstrate just how little you care about Pompey? :D FWIW, while the deal could still fall apart I was told yesterday by someone who's actually involved in the takeover that whilst there were still a few issues to sort out it's still very much on. Time will tell I guess, but I wouldn't laugh too loudly too soon if I were you. I'm not party to the whole thing but if the rumour about where the money's coming from (and how much of it there is ready to be used on players and improving the club) are true you lot are going to be pig sick.

Err, I think you'll find that Pompey's position is built on loans from banks rather than any money from Gaydamak. Britain's position in the world however is more than partly built on arms dealing. If you really find arms dealing that distasteful and want to assume a moral high ground I suggest you emigrate.

I assume you're talking about Hydra Properties here. Rather than being "sacked" Al Fahim is no longer CEO of Hydra but is still a main board director of the company. As for raising the money from Abu Dhabi, that's not where it's rumoured to be coming from. Try Germany.

Good to see Pompey finally had the staff to fulfil their bench allocation today...

... as soon as they were out of administration.

CHEATS

FFS! them cheating bast- reds have gone and done it again! Played 7, Won 6, drawn 1,,,,,,Looks like we might need to order a bigger trophy box, And an open top bus again, coyr, LOL

FFS! them cheating bast- reds have gone and done it again! Played 7, Won 6, drawn 1,,,,,,Looks like we might need to order a bigger trophy box, And an open top bus again, coyr, LOL

Do you reckon Lawrence, Kitson, Brown, Nugent etc. will still be there February?

At least one thing is for sure..... you'll never be able afford that child potty stadium by the waterfront.

Do you think you'll go up this year? I'm pretty certain we won't be going down, so I'm kinda hoping your 'Gonna walk this league' ™. All teasing aside, and despite what so many on here crazily seemed only to happy to throw away forever, nothing and I mean nothing beats the excitement of our South Coast Derbies! :D

I think we have a very good chance but there is much work to do.

Bournemouth have blown up, not sure that Brighton can carry on the way they have been going, and with the league one quality we have in the squad we've not hit 4th gear let alone top - so tis possible - but we need to find more consistency and start better, maybe we'll see you soon.

Though presumably the few now feel that all is now rosy and the Prem beckons, so you might have to wait another season....

I think we have a very good chance but there is much work to do.

Bournemouth have blown up, not sure that Brighton can carry on the way they have been going, and with the league one quality we have in the squad we've not hit 4th gear let alone top - so tis possible - but we need to find more consistency and start better, maybe we'll see you soon.

Though presumably the few now feel that all is now rosy and the Prem beckons, so you might have to wait another season....

Rally, most Pompey fans I talk to DON'T want promotion. And EVERY Pompey fan I have spoken too is much prefering life in the Championship than the Premier League limelight. Personally I DO want promotion, I don't miss the Prem whatsoever, but am accutely aware that financially we need the money, also I believe it gives us the best chance of getting rid of Chainrai etc. My absolute ambition for PFC, and I mean this honestly is a renovated Fratton, a decent youth set-up and facilities and a top level Championship existance with the odd foray into the top flight couple this with decent ticket prices and I'd be well happy. Realistically this is achievable (though admitedly, lots of work would need to be done)and would also provide the most entertainment, if our greatest rivals we're there or therabouts it would only add to the entertainment.

Interesting points from PES. Should they get promoted their imposion would be even more spectacular.

There are a two points worth making at this junture.

a) Why are there parachute payments? This mechanism encourages clubs to 'bet the farm' on staying in the franchise that has become the Premier League. Poopey are gambling on a promotion to either get a sale or 4 years with their snouts in the trough. Turkey's vetoeing Christmas I would imagine.

b) I truly believe their is a long term principle that tracks success versus support base to an equilibrium. In simple terms for those of you tinged in blue, this means that over an extended period those with the biggest fan bases such as Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Citeh, Spuds will be the most succesful. Based on this Saints are lower Prem, the blue few (or laterally, phew) mid to lower champ.

They'll buy in January on the chance they get promoted, they would be a foolish not to. Does leave a sour taste in the mouth though.

Word has it Cotterill asked Lampy who was off to meet chinny to mention squad to thin need more, When lampy came back he sheepishly said forgot to ask. Yer rite!, Theres your answer.

As I understand, Cotterill asked Lampitt, who was scheduled to meet the Chairman, to inform him that the squad was too thin and he needed more players. When the Chief Exec returned he informed the manager that he had been unable to present his agenda item. I sense trouble, anyone got the Blue Sqaure telephone number?.

I have edited on behalf of our English speakers.

Edited by St Chalet

Interesting points from PES. Should they get promoted their imposion would be even more spectacular.

There are a two points worth making at this junture.

a) Why are there parachute payments? This mechanism encourages clubs to 'bet the farm' on staying in the franchise that has become the Premier League. Poopey are gambling on a promotion to either get a sale or 4 years with their snouts in the trough. Turkey's vetoeing Christmas I would imagine.

b) I truly believe their is a long term principle that tracks success versus support base to an equilibrium. In simple terms for those of you tinged in blue, this means that over an extended period those with the biggest fan bases such as Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Citeh, Spuds will be the most succesful. Based on this Saints are lower Prem, the blue few (or laterally, phew) mid to lower champ.

a) Agree but it is what it is and we can only work with what is in front of us. Don't forget the FL clubs voted to accept the deal.

b) I cant agree with this, obviously you'd choose very different parameters than I would. Personally I see too very similar sized clubs with the ability to draw on similar levels of support under the right circumstances. Until we enjoy the same facilities and sensible pricing structure (We have finally begun to market and price games competitively) it's impossible to make fair comparisons. As you can see, and we can only go on facts, Portsmouth and Southampton are neck and neck in historic average attendances and neither are Premiership teams but top Championship sides, a place I'd personally be happy to compete with you at. :)

attendances-all-time.gif

**** me, not more stats from the skate school of creative statistics. Attendances from the 50's have no relivance to today's game.

Even in the 3rd tier we were a bigger draw than the skates in the Prem last year yet you mongs still think you are a similar sized club - ****ing retards.

Ok Pes lets forget for a minute that your ground holds a lot less than ours and lets forget that you are in a higher league than us.

Lets go by away support.

That way,it doesnt matter if you have a smaller ground.If your support is better,then surely you would take more fans than us to away games?

But last week {when it looked like your last game),a lot of your fans said to SSN,that they wont go to your away game ,instead they would "Wait and see what happens".

Sorry mate,but if that was Saints,we would take the whole population of Southampton and surrounding areas to that last away game.

a) Agree but it is what it is and we can only work with what is in front of us. Don't forget the FL clubs voted to accept the deal.

b) I cant agree with this, obviously you'd choose very different parameters than I would. Personally I see too very similar sized clubs with the ability to draw on similar levels of support under the right circumstances. Until we enjoy the same facilities and sensible pricing structure (We have finally begun to market and price games competitively) it's impossible to make fair comparisons. As you can see, and we can only go on facts, Portsmouth and Southampton are neck and neck in historic average attendances and neither are Premiership teams but top Championship sides, a place I'd personally be happy to compete with you at. :)

attendances-all-time.gif

This is boll*x. I myself, would look at current attendances to estimate potential support levels but as any sensible historian knows , Southampton used to get much bigger attendances than Portsmouth for the traditional medieval Shrove Tuesday game of football. Diarists of the time regularly reported Southampton crowds of 50,000 plus back in the 14th century. Pompey used to scrape together a few wandering tinkers to watch their games. Its all recorded by Geoffrey of ******shire in his journal in the British Museum.

Why has PES omitted such relevant satistics from his figures??

Edited by Tamesaint

even though Wigan's Premiership support is quite feeble I think that table may be a bit harsh by placing them behind Yeovil.

Flawed data.

And a debate with no answer, which it only takes place because of the media cartoon image of poor plucky pompey with fans who never abandoned them in their darkest hours - even though they clearly did - and that's why it amuses us, at the club that's so well-known that the tabloids just referred to us as The South Coast Club - like there's only one.

Big crowd yesterday, and some of them paid.