New manager announcement tomorrow

gonzo

In this era of Skype and free Video Conferencing....

Don't you love the fact every candidate has been trained flown or hotel'd in for the interviews....

Again - for the Business Culture observers. NC came from the Banking Sector.

1) Create a Job Specification

2) Advertise said Job with the Description inviting applications

3) Use an agent/minion to sort out the applications from TSW members and find the 50 real ones

4) Read the CV's and letters of Application

5) Determine a Short List of Candidates

6) Check with Legal/HR regarding any potential "not allowed to tap up other club's managers without doing XYZ" rules

7) Clear Diary and inform Short List of the Date for the Interview. Interview to be a two way meeting - selling the club and buying the applicant

8) Review ALL the interviews determine a first and second choice

9) Contact First and Second Choice to start discussion of detailed Contracts/termination clauses/Severance issues

10) Sign New Manager and Announce to the World with speeches prepared by PR & Marketing Departments

So we had 50 applicants, perhaps 5 or 10 of them any single one of us with an ounce of knowledge of football would want to talk to, not just to interview but also out of interest and to learn. All 5 or 10 are told at the start how the process will work, you have to llok at all the options or the fans will murder you even more than usual for "Not looking into every possible option"

The whole thing takes TIME and the fact that you have so many quality applicants means that at least half of them are spotted jetting in and out of hotels etc.

That's how we all work roughly in the real world Phil. Not sure that football works like that. Lots of illegal approaches and underhand things going on. If Cortese hasn't learned that by now he soon will. He knows from Saturday's game that we need to get someone in quickly. We can't afford another three performances like that.

If Adkins comes here, Phil Brown is likely to announce to the media that S****horpe has always been his spiritual home and that his only true ambition in football has been to manage the Iron.

Get the impression hes a bit of a laughing stock up there. Seems like they've seen lots of local news stories about him that were not aware of.

Just been in for my Saints interview. Cortese, Reed and Wilkins sat behind a desk, I did a bit of a speech about my aims.

Wilkins buzzed me, but I got two yes's from the others. Coretese said I was exactly what the competition was all about.

Reed said I had "The Wow Factor".

I'm through the next round.

I had a girl friend years ago that had a W tattooed on each cheek of her back side, when she bent over it spelt WOW, is that what they mean by the wow factor?

You used to go out with Cher? (who famously has just that tattoo).

Sadly no, and I was unaware that she had that as a tattoo, mind you how old is she now, unless she has had a serious butt lift thos W"s will look like a couple of little waves and blurred around the edges.

In this era of Skype and free Video Conferencing....

Don't you love the fact every candidate has been trained flown or hotel'd in for the interviews....

Again - for the Business Culture observers. NC came from the Banking Sector.

2) Advertise said Job with the Description inviting applications

3) Use an agent/minion to sort out the applications from TSW members and find the 50 real ones

4) Read the CV's and letters of Application

5) Determine a Short List of Candidates

6) Check with Legal/HR regarding any potential "not allowed to tap up other club's managers without doing XYZ" rules

7) Clear Diary and inform Short List of the Date for the Interview. Interview to be a two way meeting - selling the club and buying the applicant

8) Review ALL the interviews determine a first and second choice

9) Contact First and Second Choice to start discussion of detailed Contracts/termination clauses/Severance issues

10) Sign New Manager and Announce to the World with speeches prepared by PR & Marketing Departments

So we had 50 applicants, perhaps 5 or 10 of them any single one of us with an ounce of knowledge of football would want to talk to, not just to interview but also out of interest and to learn. All 5 or 10 are told at the start how the process will work, you have to llok at all the options or the fans will murder you even more than usual for "Not looking into every possible option"

The whole thing takes TIME and the fact that you have so many quality applicants means that at least half of them are spotted jetting in and out of hotels etc.

That's what the HR people would like you to believe. More typically:

1a) Speak 'off the record' with a suitable candidate.

1b) Re-shape Job spec to suit said candidate.

2) Follow HR process to satisfy Legal / Compliance (carry out some interviews to test the water)

3) Still happy with your choice? Appoint the guy you wanted.

Proabably game over like Adrian said. Those odds are seriously short and it really is starting to look like it is Adkins.

Feel a bit gutted to be honest, I think I was getting to wrapped up in the hype on here and because of that feel a bit underwhelmed.

Hopefully he'll get usmoving the right way, get a few wins and i'll think he was a quality appointment. I wasn't that excited when WGS came here....

Wouldn't the odds be short because we've had to ask Scunny if we can interview Adkins? Asking for permission to interview is always going to get out into the public domain and this is pretty much the only snippet that the bookies have got to go on. With most of the other candidates they're all out of a job so can be approached freely and in secret. The odds are for who is appointed not who is interviewed!

As such, maybe it's still game on?

Wouldn't the odds be short because we've had to ask Scunny if we can interview Adkins? Asking for permission to interview is always going to get out into the public domain and this is pretty much the only snippet that the bookies have got to go on. With most of the other candidates they're all out of a job so can be approached freely and in secret. The odds are for who is appointed not who is interviewed!

As such, maybe it's still game on?

I dunno, usually when they say they have permission to talk it's pretty certain they end up going. It's not in Adkins or S****horpe's interests for everyone to know he's spent all week sorting out an interview at another club.

I'm not saying that Adkins isn't going to be manager ( alrhough I wouldn't be impressed!!) but the odds of this type of Market almost always only reflect the amount of money laid. Scenario: rumours spread that "x" is being interviewed, and that "x" is likely. Major media outlet and local paper run stories that they "think" "x" is the man. A few people then have a punt....bookies slash price....more people read/hear stories then have a punt....bookies cut prices again....people see price is coming down quickly add in the stories and decide to have a punt....bookies slash price....etc etc!

And very very likely to happen with any name on the back oa rumour!!!

1 more candidate to be interviewed this afternoon. 1 tomorrow morning. No news until evening tomorrow if terms can be agreed.

I am ITK

OK, Mystic Meg.....is my fiver on KK for new manager looking good, or do I need to consider collecting on my bet that Pulis will be the next PL manager to leave (at 33-1)?

Or both?

1 more candidate to be interviewed this afternoon. 1 tomorrow morning. No news until evening tomorrow if terms can be agreed.

I am ITK

And there we have it Boys & Girls. Finally after almost 100 pages on multiple threads, confirmation of what we REALLY knew all along

It will all happen on a Friday.

Phew can get to work on a zesty Penang Curry for Dinner tonight

Why does everyone assume that candidates will come to Southampton for an interview

I know for a fact that Pardew was interviewed in a hotel in Hook

How do I know that? - because someone I know was there when ML and NC were chatting to him

Tylney Hall?

I am ITK

Are candidates still being interviewed because Cortese doesn't have his man yet or is Cortese interviewing everyone who made the shortlist as a matter of course and courtesy to the applicants, even if he's pretty much made up his mind that he's giving the job to one of the earlier interviewees?

Thanks