Chaplow - signed a 2 and a half year deal - OFFICIAL

SuperSAINT

PNE chairman confirmed that they have agreed to sale Chaplow to us in January for £50k.

I've not been impressed with Chaplow if I'm honest, nothing like the player he was back in the Championship with us and there are far better players in L1 who we could most probably get for a reasonable price in January.

Maybe, but you certainly wont get better for £50k.

PNE chairman confirmed that they have agreed to sale Chaplow to us in January for £50k.

I've not been impressed with Chaplow if I'm honest, nothing like the player he was back in the Championship with us and there are far better players in L1 who we could most probably get for a reasonable price in January.

Totally disagree...he has been exactly what we have needed in some games - a terrier - closing down and not giving them space.

He is the only midfielder I have seen go beyond the strikers in years at SMS.

Ok he hasnt been as good as his previous loan spell but he didnt play much before coming here and is still getting match fitness.

Sharpen up his passing and we have a gem and youngish too.

He is a good player, certainly better than Hammond, and at 50k thats a great price. At the very very least he is a much better replacement to Wotton.

He has one or two dodgy games but seems to be improving and if he gets back to where he was with us last time will be an inspired signing.

Happy if true.

Cant believe it'd be 50k. Really? 50k? Mental, absolute bargain. If you'd said 250k i'd have said bargain. He was the best player on the pitch at Carlisle on Saturday (that missesd one on one aside)

Still if he was on say 15K a week up there and not being used,half a season would cost them about 400K anyway, plus the 3 months that he'll already have been here (perhaps we aren't paying all his salary as yet) adds up to a tidy sum really.Bout 600K all told.

Still if he was on say 15K a week up there and not being used,half a season would cost them about 400K anyway, plus the 3 months that he'll already have been here (perhaps we aren't paying all his salary as yet) adds up to a tidy sum really.Bout 600K all told.

I work up north with loads of PNE fans and they've been told their club has to cut the salary bill by nearly 50%. Quite a few PNE players are on their way out the door with quick sales etc organised. Chaplow was rumoured to be one of the ones on 'big' money. Chaplows exit won't cause too many ripples with their fans as they have far bigger things to worry about!

I work up north with loads of PNE fans and they've been told their club has to cut the salary bill by nearly 50%. Quite a few PNE players are on their way out the door with quick sales etc organised. Chaplow was rumoured to be one of the ones on 'big' money. Chaplows exit won't cause too many ripples with their fans as they have far bigger things to worry about!

If he's on "big money" here and we're paying all of it I can see a lot of noses being out of joint, a whole lot..'bout 11 to be precise.

If he's on "big money" here and we're paying all of it I can see a lot of noses being out of joint, a whole lot..'bout 11 to be precise.

Dont think they'd bethat stupid. Chaplow is likely to have accepted lower wages to get out - or Saints would have paid a higher fee on condition that PNE paid a proportion of his wages. you dont ship in disharmony when you can avoid it.

Dont think they'd bethat stupid. Chaplow is likely to have accepted lower wages to get out - or Saints would have paid a higher fee on condition that PNE paid a proportion of his wages. you dont ship in disharmony when you can avoid it.

Doubt that he's accepted lower wages really.Footballers don't do that any more.Would be an agent's nightmare if he has.

Doubt that he's accepted lower wages really.Footballers don't do that any more.Would be an agent's nightmare if he has.
From what I've heard round here Chaplow considered himself a bit of a big shot while at Burnley however several months training with the PNE Academy lads may have just changed his outlook. I'm sure I can find out what he was on as a few work colleagues went to their fans forum the other night and apparently players wages was freely discussed (though whether Chaplows was as he is a soon to be ex-North Ender)

The weekly wages/existing player discourse can quite easily be resolved with a generous signing on fee.

Indeed.

For example, if he was taking a pay-cut from 15k to 8k per week, a 364k sign-on fee would make up the difference for a year. That'd be the equivalent of paying £414,000 for him. And I'm sure there'd be a cut to some extent anyway.

One inherent problem with larger signing on fees is that should the player not 'perform' or fall out of favour, he has already got the cash in the bank ergo he has less to lose by not appearing.

I reckon that a sum (signing on fee) in the region of £500k may have been put on the table roughly equal to an additional £10k pw over a 1 year period, he could be on a wage of, say, £10k pw and still be our highest paid player by a country mile. imo still a good deal overall for saints.

• 1 month later...

That was his last game here from the initial loan but Adkins seemed very confident in his post match interview that he would be playing against Exeter on 1st January.

I really hope he is here permanently. He's been a brilliant signing and offers us an alternative for centre midfield.

Hope we get a permanent deal sorted for him soon, gave us a bit of bite in midfield when he came on today. IMO he's given more to the team in a few games than Morgan has in two and a half seasons.

In many ways Chaplow and Morgan might be our strongest CM pairing.

Are you mental?

Would love to see him here permanently. Hammond and Spiderman are not really suited to each others game IMO - Chaplow does a better job alongside one of them, regardless of who.

Exactly as I see it as well - Hammond looks far more suited to having Chaplow alongside him than MS.

MS was far better yesterday than for months IMO. His pass to Chamberlain in the first half was probably his best of the season and far better than his crab like stuff. He can do it but needs to do this creative stuff far more - he has the ability but not the application in the last few months.