Austin Transfer Rumours

Kaiser Soze

1) Google the words "Blackpool wage bill" or "Charlie Adam wages £10k" and look for yourself at numerous sources. £10k is not much more than Lallana, Fonte and Lambert would be on.

Blackpool are so tight with money they pay players £90 per week in the summer months.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackpool-players-are-paid-just-90-a-week-over-the-summer-says-Ian-Holloway-Exclusive-article427657.html

2) I used the word "may" for a start. But I think anyone in the position of having a young family in the south of England would prefer to stay in the south of England rather than uproot a long distance away from family and friends.

As i said though, they are footballers, its a way of life.

And to quote you from another thread, the media is full of bullsh*t stories trying to sell papers and get hits. Do you really believe Blackpool can continue (if they are which i doubt somehow) paying low wages and stay a premiership team ??

Still saying that Austin would rather come here then a premiership Blackpool is ridiculous MLG i am afraid.

In a mere 4 months time both Saint and Blackpool could be in the same league.

Jesus christ :rolleyes:

Yes they COULD be in the same league as us.

But Blackpool probably have about an 80% chance of staying up. They only need about 10 more points to do so. With 15 games left, there's a very good chance they will do that.

We are one of about 9 or 10 teams competing for promotion to the Championship. Yes we are one of the favourites, but it's far from certain that we'll definitely make it up. We have proved in the last two games we are far from the perfect side. With a few injuries to key players/bad luck etc we could end up in League One again next season. If that happens and Austin comes here, he'll be in exactly the same position he was at the end of last season with Swindon.

If he goes to Blackpool and they do collapse and go down, so what? They'll still have a decent squad for Champo standards with four years of parachute payments. If we go up, we'll probably be in about the same position as them.

So if he goes to Blackpool, the worst that could probably happen is he'll end up in a Mid table/play off challenging side in the Championship this time next year. The BEST that could happen with us is the same. Given it's more than likely Blackpool will stay up though, he'd be much better off to go there.

As for Austin not wanting to move up North. He's not 5, I'm sure he'll be able to manage it.

Yes they COULD be in the same league as us.

But Blackpool probably have about an 80% chance of staying up. They only need about 10 more points to do so. With 15 games left, there's a very good chance they will do that.

We are one of about 9 or 10 teams competing for promotion to the Championship. Yes we are one of the favourites, but it's far from certain that we'll definitely make it up. We have proved in the last two games we are far from the perfect side. With a few injuries to key players/bad luck etc we could end up in League One again next season. If that happens and Austin comes here, he'll be in exactly the same position he was at the end of last season with Swindon.

If he goes to Blackpool and they do collapse and go down, so what? They'll still have a decent squad for Champo standards with four years of parachute payments. If we go up, we'll probably be in about the same position as them.

So if he goes to Blackpool, the worst that could probably happen is he'll end up in a Mid table/play off challenging side in the Championship this time next year. The BEST that could happen with us is the same. Given it's more than likely Blackpool will stay up though, he'd be much better off to go there.

As for Austin not wanting to move up North. He's not 5, I'm sure he'll be able to manage it.

all makes sense - apart from moving up north!

Yeah find that post... That's right. I thnk players given a choice between Liverpool and Saints will come here. FFS.

It might have been you or it might have been Matthew Le God, someone with a name like that anyway. He got ripped for it, unsurprisingly.

Ok, for a start charlie is reputtedly a billy big time so i would imagine he can't wait to strut his stuff in the premiership.

Secondly i reckon only 10% of players would ever make the decision that you are suggesting that they give up Premier football for a CHANCE of getting there again in 2 years time.

And then thirdly, when we start playing the maybe\could be game.

He could injure himself seriously soon.

He may never get the chance to play there again.

They may be breaking the wage bill.

We might stay in league one

We might get relegated

They may get into Europe

Liverpool might get relegated.

It might have been you or it might have been Matthew Le God, someone with a name like that anyway. He got ripped for it, unsurprisingly.

Well it wasn't me either.

Interesting Papa Shango has no response for #763 which showed him (and a number of other people claiming how safe Blackpool are) to be talking rubbish...

But Blackpool probably have about an 80% chance of staying up.

Blackpool won't be relegated.

- They are 6 points above 18th place.

- They are 19th in the form table and dropping!

That is far from safe!

Edited by Matthew Le God

- They are 6 points above 18th place.

- They are 19th in the form table.

That is far from safe!

Can I now say "Jesus christ :rolleyes:" like you did?

And there are 5 teams below them in the table. I never said they were 100% safe, but there's more than a decent chance they will stay up. Chances to play in the Premiership don't come along every day. If he only played there for a few months before getting relegated than that's more than we can offer anyway. He does well in that time and he could get picked up by another Premiership team. Or more than likely Pool will stay up and he'll have at least 18 months of PL football. The WORST that'll happen if he goes to Blackpool is they'll end up at the same level as us next year. Or he could go to us, and we might not even get promoted.

You are completely deluded if you think we are a better option. If I wasn't a Saints fan and in Austin's shoes I would choose all of the other three clubs interested over us. So would anyone with a brain.

Blackpool may not be able to offer him more money, but he has the chance to showcase his talents on the biggest stage for at least 6 months.

At the very worst he's a championship player next season.

With us, he could still be in L1. I'm pretty sure he said in an interview that he'd never join a club in L1 and would only move for a higher league.

I doubt we were ever in with a real chance.

Well it wasn't me either.

Interesting Papa Shango has no response for #763 which showed him (and a number of other people claiming how safe Blackpool are) to be talking rubbish...

See above. You're completely missing the point, I never said they were safe. I like how you cut out the rest of my post and didn't dispute anything else.

See above. You're completely missing the point, I never said they were safe.

You said they had an "80% chance of staying up". Despite only being 6 points above the relegation zone and them being 19th in the form tables and dropping (with a small squad).

What was your "80%" claim based on?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Perhaps I shouldn't say this but I wont lose any sleep if we dont sign this guy.

I would much rather have M-S from Peterbro who can play out wide and through the middle.

I do kind of agree with you. I think Mackail-Smith is someone that would work so well with Lambo and has pace - which our front line lacks at the mo IMO.

fwiw i don't think we'll sign either, we'll probably pickup a loan striker/attacking player after the window closes. And i have no issues with that.

You said they were "80% chance of staying up". Despite only being 6 points above the relegation zone and them being 19th in the form tables and dropping (with a small squad).

What was you "80%" claim based on?

I'll try and explain slowly. Well you see teams like Wigan, West Ham and Wolves have LESS points than Blackpool. Which mean they have to win MORE games between now and the end of the season than Blackpool. Based on the form over the whole season so far Blackpool have proved they are better than all those sides. They are also above teams like Fulham and Birmingham. The teams in the bottom three have shown very little signs of putting a big run together and getting out of it. I never once said it was 100% guaranteed they will stay up, of course there is a chance that Pool could drop into it and the sides below them could overtake them, but the odds are very much in favour of Blackpool staying up right now, anyone can see that. As for the form guide, so what? Chelsea were near the bottom of that a few weeks ago. West Brom and Wigan have the same amount of points in the form guide as Pool, and Wolves are hardly doing great either, so it's not like all the sides below them are looking like rocketing up the table. Blackpool's performances have been very good recently despite the results and they've shown they've got enough to get the 10 points or so in the next 15 games that they'll need to stay up (Which really isn't a lot). And like I keep saying, worse comes to worse they'll be at the same level as us anyway next season. They won't be in League 1 though like we could be.

You can argue about the exact % chance they have of staying up all you want, it was just some number I threw out there. The point is they have a more than reasonable chance of still being in the Prem next season. We have NO chance.

Anyway you're completely missing the point (again). I like how you still haven't addressed any of the other things I said in that post you cut out either.

I'll try and explain slowly. Well you see teams like Wigan, West Ham and Wolves have LESS points than Blackpool. Which mean they have to win MORE games between now and the end of the season than Blackpool. Based on the form over the whole season so far Blackpool have proved they are better than all those sides. They are also above teams like Fulham and Birmingham. The teams in the bottom three have shown very little signs of putting a big run together and getting out of it. I never once said it was 100% guaranteed they will stay up, of course there is a chance that Pool could drop into it and the sides below them could overtake them, but the odds are very much in favour of Blackpool staying up right now, anyone can see that. As for the form guide, so what? Chelsea were near the bottom of that a few weeks ago. West Brom and Wigan have the same amount of points in the form guide as Pool, and Wolves are hardly doing great either, so it's not like all the sides below them are looking like rocketing up the table. Blackpool's performances have been very good recently despite the results and they've shown they've got enough to get the 10 points or so in the next 15 games that they'll need to stay up (Which really isn't a lot). And like I keep saying, worse comes to worse they'll be at the same level as us anyway next season. They won't be in League 1 though like we could be.

You can argue about the exact % chance they have of staying up all you want, it was just some number I threw out there. The point is they have a more than reasonable chance of still being in the Prem next season. We have NO chance.

Anyway you're completely missing the point (again). I like how you still haven't addressed any of the other things I said in that post you cut out either.

You're wasting your time with our football management game friend. Never has a contributor to this forum had less perspective or general nous. It's pretty staggering the stuff he comes out with.

The key point is that Blackpool can offer Premier League football to Austin tomorrow, next week and next month. If he comes in and does well and Blackpool still get relegated (unlikely as you say) he'll likely get a move to an alternative lowly Prem club for the following season.

If he doesn't do well and they get relegated, he has still played in the Premier League in 2011.

This idea that "Saints might be in the Premier League in two or three years time" has any value whatsoever to a football player with offers from Prem and NPC clubs today is delusional nonsense. Typical from that poster, to be fair.

OK, so we've established that none of us know for certain what Charlie Austin is thinking, and the speculation and personal opinions have started to go in circles.

Yes it is unlikely we'll get Austin, Ipswich have had an offer accepted and it would seem he's going there.

However, we have a recent history of attracting players above our level, Fonte from the league above, keeping hold of Lallana from Prem offers, and attracting Guly from Serie A offers, so it's only natural to think we might be able to attract a good player from a team below us in the same league, who's from this area, even in the face of bigger offers.

Now please try and keep the personal insults out of the debate.

If that is true then it raises serious doubts about the clubs financial backing. £1.6m is hardly big time money when we're supposed to be in a strong position financially...

Maybe if that article is indeed correct, Saints didn't think he was worth £1.6m and that paying Austin £12k a week breaks their current wage structure. Spending on a multi million training ground upgrade shows funding is still very much there.

Damn. We're skint if we can't afford a little bit over 1.6 million....

Could it not just be that we didn't value him at 1.6M?

A house is only worth what YOU think it's worth, not the seller.

We have money to spend (possibly) but were not gonna throw it away.

Could it not just be that we didn't value him at 1.6M?

A house is only worth what YOU think it's worth, not the seller.

We have money to spend (possibly) but were not gonna throw it away.

How do you know we have money to spend (significant amounts e.g. £1 Million)? Haven't exactly spent much so far.

This is really getting tedious now. There must have been some truth in the interest as I would have expected the club to deny it by now if we were not interested as there has been so much hype and attention around both Austin and OXO. Cant wait for the window to close!

How do you know we have money to spend (significant amounts e.g. £1 Million)? Haven't exactly spent much so far.

This could go on forever, but..... How do you know we DONT have funds?!?

We've signed Guly and Chaplow.

Lalana signed new contract.

Maybe just maybe NA and NC didn't rate him at £1.6m

Guly - Around 800K

Chaplow - Who knows, somewhere into the hundred thousands

Lallana - New contract will mean much higher wages

AOC - The fact it seems we have turned down several millions for a player that has started 17 league games for us

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say we are not short of money. And another stab in the dark and say we haven't finished for this window yet.

http://www.swindonweb.com/?m=133&s=1599&ss=1600&c=8842&t=Out+of+Town

interesting if true that austin preferred saints but only ipswich would meet the required valuation

Although Swindon state only one bid accepted by them, it does show the mercenary nature of players that they grab what is on offer, whereas, if he REALLY fancied Saints, he COULD hav enforced Swindon to let him talk to US, to see what we would offer Salarywise

If it was only £2K a week, then, Ipswich would of course been seen to be the better option