Austin Transfer Rumours

Kaiser Soze

1: We need a striker, irrespective of Guly's form (He's a midfielder), Lambert's return to scoring form (which is still only 2 goals in God knows how long) and Barnard's availability (unless he gets banged up, which I hope he doesn't). Connolly would be a massive asset if he didn't spend so long in the treatment room, but we will need strength in depth in the run in for sure.

2: Austin is class, his goalscoring record speaks for itself. Irrespective of his non-league background, he can and will make it in a higher league, which will be perfect for us if we go up (or when we go up...). Antonio was non-League too and we were raving about him last season.

3: It shows our intent remains by buying the best players in this league.

However:

4: He is a bit of a cockle and was giving it the biggun when Swindon beat us last year, I would however like to think the management could control him.

It would be a fantastic signing if we could get him, but there are other options, so I won't be disheartened if this is all nonsense.

he isn't aware of a bid from us and even if there was one he's more intereste din going to wigan, birmingham or qpr who have already had bids accepted

11.20 am - you post saying i know a friend of his ill get on it. 3 minutes later after contacting said friend, who in turn contacts austin, who then comes back to you with detail on where he is wanting to go you post a response . fishy?>

Dont think he adds anything that Barny doesnt already offer - not saying he's a bad player but given the choice i'd prefer a striker/forward with genuine pace.

Guly has worked well with lambert because he has been making runs behind the defence, even though guly is ultimately a deep lying AM. The ability to sucker teams on the counter will be a particular asset as we make up our lost away games.

We cant sign everyone and in light of what we have and what we need, somebody like antonio would be much more useful to us than austin.

11.20 am - you post saying i know a friend of his ill get on it. 3 minutes later after contacting said friend, who in turn contacts austin, who then comes back to you with detail on where he is wanting to go you post a response . fishy?>

supposing i had rung said mate who is in regular contact with austin and didn't need to make another phone call. Believe what you want, i couldn't really care about pr1cks like you making assumptions for the sake of an argument

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Charlie Austin is a c*nt of the highest order.

Having said that I wouldnt say no to him coming here. He clearly is a natural finisher capable of getting goals at any level he plays.

Reckon he'll go to a championship club though... 31 goals in 50 games for a player who was playing in the Wessex league at the start of last year - incredible.

I'm sure we've had plenty of players at the club over the years who've been thought of as '****'s' or whatever, by some people. As far as I'm concerned, the main relationships that matter would be between said player and his manager and teammates.

I employ some people who I don't particularly get on with personally, for one reason or another. But we respect each others ability to do our jobs, they work hard and deliver the goods. That's what they are paid for, everyone is happy. There will be other people who get on well with those people, and others I get on well with. I'm sure there are plenty of people who know or who've met Austin who think he's a good bloke.

I will trust Adkins' judgement on any player he sees fit to sign (or release for that matter, a la Puncheon)... mind you, that all being said I can't see Austin coming here.

And we have all reacted to opposing fans too

I think Austin would be a superb signing.. He was excellent leading the line against charlton... And seems to score many goals

point was he didn't react, there was no stick, not really much atmosphere, think most would not have known who he was! He scored and randomly ran to saints fans (Chapel!) and went off on one!

supposing i had rung said mate who is in regular contact with austin and didn't need to make another phone call. Believe what you want, i couldn't really care about pr1cks like you making assumptions for the sake of an argument
don't worry IMO what you say is sound. The 3 clubs mentioned who have bids accepted would be the ones most likely to need him.

Is this the same mate of yours that is in contact with AL

Perhaps you really are Lamberts right leg? do you have any inside info on Lamberts recent lack of form, being so attached to him perhaps you could enlighten us all? Sorry but you also claim to have sources close to Lallana, what are you? player? agent? coach? or just a walter mitty?

Swindon is pretty much the same time from Southampton as Birmingham or Loftus Road. Unless he has a family still living in Poole, I doubt that will be a factor.

His family are from Hungerford, near Newbury. Which would make Saints nearer than both Birmingham and QPR

player plays well. scores goals. clubs want him. rumours abound. saints fans wonder if one of the clubs is us. get excited. post discussion board about how we're 'closing in' on said player. fan texts player's mate. publishes it. it's inconclusive anyway. other bigger clubs swooping in. rumour fizzling out.

Just thought I'd post a summary to save everybody else time.

From what I've heard in the pubs in Hungerford Austin has his sights set on Championship (definitely not Reading though, apparently they treated him badly when he was in their academy). A close friend of his told me he probably wouldn't sign for a club in the same division as Swindon. When I spoke to this bloke just before Christmas he seemed to think Celtic were the most likely destination.

1. If the club can convince him we are going up then we should be as much of an attraction as current Championship clubs?

2. As for the attitude issues...if what has been said is true, then I have full faith in Adkins and the management to put him in his place.

3. Can't see that in a million years Cortese would allow us to sign a player with attitude issues.

why do we need another forward it strikes me the ones we have already seem to be doing a pretty good job.If anything we could do with one more quality midfielder.

because we have a pretty poor shots/goals ratio...yes we have got a few goals lately..but another brentford could happen where we only get a a couple of chances...

why do we need another forward it strikes me the ones we have already seem to be doing a pretty good job.If anything we could do with one more quality midfielder.

Because Lambert isn't the goal machine he was last season, Guly's loan has expired, Connolly is injury prone and Barnard might go to jail.

The rumour mill is now in full swing just received this ... "via a mate who knows someone at the club"

"Saints have had a £1.5m bid for Swindon Town's Charlie Austin accepted, but the fee could rise to £2m if we get promoted this year."

My opinion:

Cant verify this just passing on...it doesnt mean he is coming here as could be a number of clubs bidding and Austin will go where he wants.

His family are from Hungerford, near Newbury. Which would make Saints nearer than both Birmingham and QPR

I think this is a good point. There are not many clubs he could go to if he wants to stay in Hungerford. Saints, Reading, Bournemouth or Oxford. Logically he would probably choose Reading of these but I believe he is a Swindon fan as well as a Swindon player and therefore maybe wouldn't play for them?

player plays well. scores goals. clubs want him. rumours abound. saints fans wonder if one of the clubs is us. get excited. post discussion board about how we're 'closing in' on said player. fan texts player's mate. publishes it. it's inconclusive anyway. other bigger clubs swooping in. rumour fizzling out.

Just thought I'd post a summary to save everybody else time.

We are one of the teams after Beckham. This is from a solid gold source that is 100% correct, 50% of the time