Austin Transfer Rumours

Kaiser Soze

I'm sure we've had plenty of players at the club over the years who've been thought of as '****'s' or whatever, by some people. As far as I'm concerned, the main relationships that matter would be between said player and his manager and teammates.

I employ some people who I don't particularly get on with personally, for one reason or another. But we respect each others ability to do our jobs, they work hard and deliver the goods. That's what they are paid for, everyone is happy. There will be other people who get on well with those people, and others I get on well with. I'm sure there are plenty of people who know or who've met Austin who think he's a good bloke.

I will trust Adkins' judgement on any player he sees fit to sign (or release for that matter, a la Puncheon)... mind you, that all being said I can't see Austin coming here.

His Mum, for starters.

I think we're playing the Newcastle United role here.

Newcastle used to get bids accepted for everyone and anyone - they had a bid accepted from Everton for Rooney. Didn't mean he was ever, ever, ever going to sign for Newcastle United.

We've got the dough to get bids accepted, but if it is true that Prem or soon-to-be Prem clubs are in for him, he'd be mad to come here, and he won't.

If we're going to sign a striker, I can't see it being a "top class" one, as we already have two in Barnard and Lambert and L1 clubs don't have or need more than that. I can see us picking up a hungry up and comer to replace the fading Connolly, but I worry that signing an Austin would be a bit of an Asprilla moment bringing in one too many "superstars".

If the wages are right and the agent gets a good cut then a player will sign for anyone!!

Sol Campbell to Notts County as an example.

This is patently not true. Kaka was never, ever going to sign for Man City.

All your example proves is that Sol Campbell will sign for anyone.

I've got a contact with someone fairly high up on the Swindon board and I have been reliably informed we have had a bid accepted for Charlie Austin.

Don't have any further details or how much the fee is etc.

sounds good Kaiser Soze..Hope you're right, otherwise your reputation for bring ITN...may take a knock

I think we're playing the Newcastle United role here.

Newcastle used to get bids accepted for everyone and anyone - they had a bid accepted from Everton for Rooney. Didn't mean he was ever, ever, ever going to sign for Newcastle United.

We've got the dough to get bids accepted, but if it is true that Prem or soon-to-be Prem clubs are in for him, he'd be mad to come here, and he won't.

If we're going to sign a striker, I can't see it being a "top class" one, as we already have two in Barnard and Lambert and L1 clubs don't have or need more than that. I can see us picking up a hungry up and comer to replace the fading Connolly, but I worry that signing an Austin would be a bit of an Asprilla moment bringing in one too many "superstars".

That would point to someone like Sam Baldock at MK then. Connolly is pretty much finished and whilst Barnard has done well when available, his injury record both here and elsewhere is a worry over a 46 game season so if another nimble striker gets in and starts scoring it creates competition. Surprised Forte's name hasn't come up from Scunny.

I think this is a good point. There are not many clubs he could go to if he wants to stay in Hungerford. Saints, Reading, Bournemouth or Oxford. Logically he would probably choose Reading of these but I believe he is a Swindon fan as well as a Swindon player and therefore maybe wouldn't play for them?

He was a Liverpool fan at school if I remember rightly, used to support Reading as well until he got dropped by their academy, close friends of his tell me he would never sign for them "after the way they treated him". I travel down from Hungeford for every game, can be be done in under an hour on a good day, though I'm not gonna count on getting a lift down with him if he does sign.

Would PL clubs really be interested in someone, as pointed out here, playing Wessex League not so long ago: would they be going for a player to slot in to their line-ups or one for the future? If the latter I could see Saints being in with a (small) chance in that we would offer him Championship football for next season and the prospect of being part of a team that might earn Premiership status, plus bigger crowds than the opposition.;-)

Oh well, we'll hear about transfers when we hear about them..

Any signings need to made immediately, we need them now, there's no sense in a secret cat-and-mouse poker game delaying our bid until 31/01 just so others can' t come in and offer more.

Get the details tied up secretly and then announce he's here fait accompli, whoever he / they may be. We can't afford to lose a month of his / their services.

Its good news if the club are looking for a new striker,and if they don't sign Austin hopefully they do have an alternative in mind. Connolly does seem to be past it and is hardly being used. Barnard has had his hernia problems and has been playing with a self-inflicted hand injury for months, as well as having a court case hanging over him. Lambert's dip in form is well documented and although Do Prado has scored a few goals he still misses more than he scores. There is scope for someone such as Austin to come in and hold one of the front spots and boost the title chase.

Anyone know what the swindon message board site is called? I've read on one that they have bid £40K for a L2 forward and their fans seem to think it's a replacement for when Austin goes. Not sure how good the message board is though, might just be one of those make up stories type.

Anyone know what the swindon message board site is called? I've read on one that they have bid £40K for a L2 forward and their fans seem to think it's a replacement for when Austin goes. Not sure how good the message board is though, might just be one of those make up stories type.

Made up stories? On a message board?? Surely not!

Made up stories? On a message board?? Surely not!

I heard everything is ready to be signed...only thing holding it up is that Martin O'Neil hasn't checked out of his hotel room on the outskirts of Sothampton yet which is where they are planning on meeting...

Odd that some people are saying they don't believe the OP because Austin would want to move up a division. The OP says that we have had a bid accepted. That sounds very likely, I think we could easily have offered enough money.

Whether or not anyone else has done the same or Austin wants to come to Saints is completely different.

Odd that some people are saying they don't believe the OP because Austin would want to move up a division. The OP says that we have had a bid accepted. That sounds very likely, I think we could easily have offered enough money.

Whether or not anyone else has done the same or Austin wants to come to Saints is completely different.

With Hull having a bid turned down and now Reading making a bid I would have thought any chance we had of signing him are becoming increasingly distant. Still, be nice to be wrong. We should have looked at him when he was at Poole!

Chances are Hull and Reading will be in the same League as us next season (if we sign Austin). Another half a season one league down is not going to make much difference as he'll have the confidence to think "if I sign, they'll go up". I think we've a good chance of getting him unless a Premier league or top championship side come knocking.

At the end of the day an inexperianced player like him is going to lean very heavily on his agent, so if we offer decent terms for a long contract, we could be in with a shout. If we can attract Jose Fonte with -10, we can attract Austin.

I think we should push the boat out a bit here, he's the hottest property in League 1 and to snap him up sends out a powerful message of our intent.

Chances are Hull and Reading will be in the same League as us next season (if we sign Austin). Another half a season one league down is not going to make much difference as he'll have the confidence to think "if I sign, they'll go up". I think we've a good chance of getting him unless a Premier league or top championship side come knocking.

At the end of the day an inexperianced player like him is going to lean very heavily on his agent, so if we offer decent terms for a long contract, we could be in with a shout. If we can attract Jose Fonte with -10, we can attract Austin.

I think we should push the boat out a bit here, he's the hottest property in League 1 and to snap him up sends out a powerful message of our intent.

At the same time, Hull and specifically Reading could argue that with a decent goalscorer like him they have a decent chance of getting into the play offs and the PL. Neither will go down, so he has the option of a shot at promtion to the premier league now or if joins us at best be in the same position in a years time as he would be if he joined a NPC club today.

Body language experts on standby:

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10341~2260709,00.html

Austin to feature on 'Football League Weekend'

Posted on: Fri 07 Jan 2011

Town fans would be well advised to tune in to Sky Sports' 'Football League Weekend' show this Friday evening, as it features an extended feature with star striker Charlie Austin!

The show spent a day with Austin's family and friends, as well visiting his former manager at Poole Town - the team from whom Town secured his signature last season.

Presented by George Gavin, 'Football League Weekend' starts at 6pm on Sky Sports HD1 on Friday.

I'm afraid that when it comes to buying quality players Saints are at the bottom of the food chain, snapping up the crumbs from the rich men's tables. It's not until the Premier League teams sort out their striking options that the Championship get their turn and then we get to fight over the leftovers with the other League 1 outfits. Our financial clout might get us a bite at the next level up, but I suspect that it won't be until the end of the window that we hear any substantial news.

As of Tuesday this week 3 teams have bid. Birmingham 750k, Hull 750k + add ons up to 1million and Saints 1.5 million. Hull have since increased their offer but I don't know how much to but - and a big but - Hull have offered him excellent terms which I believe to be around 10k a week.

As of Tuesday this week 3 teams have bid. Birmingham 750k, Hull 750k + add ons up to 1million and Saints 1.5 million. Hull have since increased their offer but I don't know how much to but - and a big but - Hull have offered him excellent terms which I believe to be around 10k a week.

i have to ask......

you know this how?

Let's say for argument's sake that Hull have, as you say, increased their offer from 750k to 1m with a 10k pw salary and Saints original offer was 1.5m with, say, a £5k pw salary, Saints could now say to Swindon: "Ok, we'll now offer you 1.25m" and use the 'saved' 250k to pay him a higher weekly wage than Hull.....

Same amount of money we were prepared to throw at the deal, just distributed differently.

All that assumes the figures quoted are correct of course....

Are you still based in Naples, Florida 6 months of the year....?

Let's say for argument's sake that Hull have, as you say, increased their offer from 750k to 1m with a 10k pw salary and Saints original offer was 1.5m with, say, a £5k pw salary, Saints could now say to Swindon: "Ok, we'll now offer you 1.25m" and use the 'saved' 250k to pay him a higher weekly wage than Hull.....

Same amount of money we were prepared to throw at the deal, just distributed differently.

All that assumes the figures quoted are correct of course....

Nice idea, but I can't see Swindon being interested in that negotiation. Saints have (according to the info above) shown their hand and would simply say to Saints that they need to up their offer to the player if they want him as much as their fee offer suggests.