Top 5 underrated Saints players

Rory

Nick Holmes ! Watched his goal against Liverpool on U tube last week. Absolute stunner from 25 yards swerving into the top corner.. won the game 3-2 with a Martin Foyle dive for a penalty !! David Peach was a player I always liked back in t he day, and from later on I suppose i always though Jo Tessem did a job for us and was always under rated.... Shipperly did his bit too..but blimey, he is twice the man he was back then if you have seen the photos !!

Mario Licka

Jo Tessem

Kamil Kosowski

David Prutton

Gregory Vignal

Cue abuse...

well not abuse, but you are being a bit unfair to Jo Tessem.

Could play defence or (preferred midfield) had one of the best strike rates for a MF attacker of anyone who's been at the club

and his goals frequently won a point and occasionally all 3).

His downfall (in the eyes of some fans) was when forced to play striker ( 6' 3") in a period when James Beattie was injured.

Experienced Prem. defenders frequently played him offside, and he became the butt of some fans criticism.

Good player in my eyes.

I think by the end we had all come to realise the genius of the man, but I do remember not long after he signed talking to my uncle about how awful we thought he was.

I remember watching him play and wondering what the hell he was doing on the pitch. Funny thing was we always struggled when he was injured or suspended. If not under rated then definitely an unsung hero for too long.

marsden is an example of how wrong people are when saying lallana wont ever make it in the prem because of his lack of pace

Disagree with this. Marsden actually did have pace in short bursts. He wasnt rapid but certainly wasnt slow. He also had a fantastic engine as well. Dont reckon he was under rated at all. Him and Bridge provided one of the best left flanks in the league under Strachan.

Mario Licka

Jo Tessem

Kamil Kosowski

David Prutton

Gregory Vignal

Cue abuse...

Under the stewardship of Hoddle i'd say Tessem was one of the finest attacking midfielders i've seen in a Saints shirt. As mentioned already though its when he was played up front his game suffered. As far as underated players go i'd add Ormerod and Kachloul to the list.

Micky Evans

Scott Hiley - ok he wasn't great but his 2 incredible goal line clearances went a long way to keeping us up.

Anders Svensson used to get a lot of unfair abuse.

Iain Dowie. When he first joined us I remember people booing his name when it was announced on the tannoy after he'd scored!

Matty was criminally underrated by a succession of England managers.

Under the stewardship of Hoddle i'd say Tessem was one of the finest attacking midfielders i've seen in a Saints shirt. As mentioned already though its when he was played up front his game suffered. As far as underated players go i'd add Ormerod and Kachloul to the list.

Yeah, Tessem was great for about a 3 month period when he was played in the right position. Didn't Dave Jones play him at RB a few times when he first joined, and Tessem said he'd never played there before in his whole career?