Give Guly a break...

sambosa75

I agree. You can't blame Guly on the line for not winning a header the other player has a 10 yeard run on. Someone should have blocked Ward off prior to Guly getting anywhere near it.

Unfortunately you can blame Guly for their goal today, fairly and squarely. He was given the job on the back post (which is strange for a tall fella, you would expect him to be given a marking job but I guess this reflects his lack of heading ability). From the position he was in it was a 50/50 but he clearly bottled it. Was another of his poor games today though, he seems to go through these phases, can be brilliant for a spell and then goes awol for a few games. Inconsistent, but on his day a great asset. If we had had a real option today I suspect NA would have replaced him before the Skate goal.

Sadly despite the credit he gets on here Harding is thick in a football sense and worse still ball watches. He had to take resposibility to defend that left post but went missing.

Not arguing with you about whether Harding is thick, but disagree about him taking responsibility to defend the post, these things are planned to the nth degree on the training field. Clearly its not Harding's job. I hope in the future it won't be Guly's either.

Watch the replays Guly had no chance to make the header If anything he could have stayed on the line and covered. Thought he had a decent game considering the lack of decent balls into him.

Don't think we should critique ANY of our team today after the last mare at nottarf.

Point in the bag, footballing lesson dealt out, move on, League t o win

posted by D_P on EoA's pc

FFS. Yes he would, but Benali was a defender with nothing but guts, pride and passion. People are expecting Guly to display the attributes of someone as gritty as Benali. If he had scored his chance everyone would be on here bumming him.

Not me I'm straight. I would expect Ny of our players to show bottle especially if your task is to sit on the goal line back post!

Dunno about that hypo. Annoyed it had to happen today of all days, obviously, but if any player plays that badly and often, the opponent is irrelevant.

Today was not the kind of day for that performance. I said before the game that anyone not putting in 100% effort is shameful and I don't believe he was unlike everyone else. There were many times he should have chased the ball but didn't. Can't forgive that against them.

Today was not the kind of day for that performance. I said before the game that anyone not putting in 100% effort is shameful and I don't believe he was unlike everyone else. There were many times he should have chased the ball but didn't. Can't forgive that against them.

As I've said, knowing what he's like in most games I've seen or the away games I've read about, he should never have started.

I agree. You can't blame Guly on the line for not winning a header the other player has a 10 yeard run on. Someone should have blocked Ward off prior to Guly getting anywhere near it.

Valid point but because he "looked lazy" at points during the game, people on here won't recognise it as one.

Valid point but because he "looked lazy" at points during the game, people on here won't recognise it as one.

It's not a valid point. He started to go for it as the ball arced upwards, and then he stopped because it didn't look very appealing to him. The very least he had to do was spoil and he even chickened out of that.

The fact that he also looked lazy and disinterested for much of what (to everyone else) was a very big match is a separate point. As is the fact that he shouldn't have been assigned the post role if that's how he sees it.

I'll give him his praise when it's due - and there certainly is some - but you're trying to defend the indefensible here.

He didn't look 'lazy at points during the game'. He looked lazy throughout the entire game.

Seriously did you watch the game? His performance was absolutely shocking and totally unforgivable due to the opposition. If a player can't be up for a game against your fiercest rivals when is he ever going to be totally committed?

That's what I don't get. If it's a full back's role when Fox is on, why the hell change it when Harding comes on?

And Guly didn't even have to win the header, just spoil. He did worse than nothing.

I couldn't understand the Harding for Fox change at the time, and I'm not sure that Fox could, either.

Perfectly obvious - Fox loses possession with a long lump upfield 7 out of 10 times. Harding is a better team player and usually finds his man as well has a better attacking pressure than Fox...

Perfectly obvious - Fox loses possession with a long lump upfield 7 out of 10 times. Harding is a better team player and usually finds his man as well has a better attacking pressure than Fox...

My operative words were "at the time".

This isn't about your opinion on who should be selected in the first place (others, including Nigel, seem to have a different view) but about whether we needed to make that change at that time.

I thought we looked reasonably organized and comfortable so I wasn't sure why we made the change, and it looked like Fox was disappointed too.

i blame Atkins, i rate Gully highly but it wasnt his day, he should of been subbed early, there was so much space on the right which de ridder would of exploited, and wtf was he doing swopping left backs, harding gave away a very cheap corner, which led to their goal, it was not a game to muck about with the defence

Sadly despite the credit he gets on here Harding is thick in a football sense and worse still ball watches. He had to take resposibility to defend that left post but went missing.

I think you'll find Harding was on the right post - logical for a left footed defender, after all he's not trying to stop the ball going out for a goal kick.

I really like Guly but his performance today was shocking, maybe even unforgiveable.

He really bottled the header and i also dont understand why Harding had to knock it out for a corner.

Fox seemed pretty ****ed off when he came off,having a few words with Nigel.

Overall would have settled for a point before the game because we seem to have hit a rocky patch.

Guly needs to get the fans back on side quick during the next two home games.

I like Guly, he's the type of player that can win you a match with a second of skill BUT you have to know when and when not to play him.

Today's game was one that he should not have played in IMO - we needed a more determined player, Guly was never going to get the space he needs

This was more of a game for Barnard or SDR.

Not arguing with you about whether Harding is thick, but disagree about him taking responsibility to defend the post, these things are planned to the nth degree on the training field. Clearly its not Harding's job. I hope in the future it won't be Guly's either.

He was on the right post.

Didn't have a good game, haven't seen the goal again since leaving the ground but everyone I've heard from who saw it on tv said it was terrible defending from him.

I quite like him as a player but he is more inconsistent than anyone else in our team.

Who was supposed to be marking Ward? He let him have a free header.

Guly came off the line and dipped out when he realised the only thing he was going to do was give away a penalty

Guly has never been good at winning defensive or midfield headers. It is a weakness in his game. This must have been recognised because despite his 6' plus hight he was not used other that to defend the goal line. His mistake was he came for a ball he would likely have cleared off the line from Wards header.

Not sure Guly can be blamed alone for us dropping 2 points. It was a number of defensive players who all contributed, including Guly but not exclusively Guly.

Easy to blame one person for disappointments just like many did last week!

Bottled it today, he was having a poor game before their goal and had he gone all out to win that ball everyone would have forgot about his poor game but no, he hardly done anything to stop Ward from winning the header.

Saying that, Ward shouldn't have had a free header and from memory Harding had enough time to turn and hit it into touch for a throw-in instead of a corner.

Guly came off the line and dipped out when he realised the only thing he was going to do was give away a penalty

Guly has never been good at winning defensive or midfield headers. It is a weakness in his game. This must have been recognised because despite his 6' plus hight he was not used other that to defend the goal line. His mistake was he came for a ball he would likely have cleared off the line from Wards header.

Not sure Guly can be blamed alone for us dropping 2 points. It was a number of defensive players who all contributed, including Guly but not exclusively Guly.

Easy to blame one person for disappointments just like many did last week!

Agree with this,especially when the Skates were there for the taking!

im sorry, he gets vastly rewarded and applauded for doing well......at times people will have a pop when it is a bit OTT....but today he was a complete passenger and in a game like that......just not acceptable....constantly gave the ball away....awful touch......and lost out on so many headers.........next week might be a different story..............I would have taken guly off and had de ridder on for the last 15-10 mins myself.....anyway, still top of the league

I'll echo that entirely. De Ridder would've finished them off f'sure while they were clinging onto the game.

Sorry, Ron, we'll have to differ a bit on this one although I agree about Ward's marker, whoever that was. Guly would not have conceded a penalty with an honest challenge for a 50/50 header, and even just a "spoiling" effort would have helped. He did the absolute worst thing - he started to come and then stopped because IMO he didn't fancy it. As you said, even if he'd just stayed-put he'd probably have cleared it.

But I'd still like to know what the hell Guly was doing on the near post in the first place. That's where you often need a brave person to defend against the near-post corner, and Guly is certainly not the person for that.

Still, notwithstanding Guly's performance, we should have killed them off long before that and our over-elaboration around the box really needs to stop at some point.

This is what NA said.

""We've got in 11 in there so go and win the header, go and win the second ball, defend the goal with your lives and you win and pick up points.

"We'll learn the lessons from the game, we needed to defend that goal better and individually you've got to have the desire to go and head the football.

End of

Sure Guly did not have a good game today but is it really necessary to use him as a scapegoat for dropping 2 points ?

We win as a team and we lose as a team !

I will be cheering him as much as the rest of them come the Palace match next week !

You may be cheering him on your own!

Dear OP,

F*** off. Guly is a cun*ing c*nt and I am done with that tw*t. Te and time again I have a rant and everyone tells me about the moments he comes good and how he earns his place...

Well guess what, the game that I have been thinking about non stop for weeks, the game that had me up all night last night, the game that had me buzzing my nuts off from the moment I set foot outside my door this morning... Guly flapped it and flapped it a treat. He was nothing but a passenger and for me, this game is not one for passengers and if I could I would have got on that pitch, bítchslapped the brazilian Mohawk turd and carried him down the tunnel myself. I firmly believe we would have been better with just 10 men, honestly.

Really ? Are we really slagging him off for one fluffed chance, one more or less no chance and one header he would never have won anyway ?

Who would we have played upfront instead exactly ??

Ward should have been blocked off before he got to the ball, infact, harding was at fault before the cross came in FFS !! Why change Fox playing well for Harding anyway ?

Guly was clearly caught in two minds, my first thought was stay on your post Guly, my second was who was marking Ward in the F*CKING FIRST PLACE surely some of you have played the game before, the man was unmarked more or less, or even so skipped his marker easily.

Guly was not that bad, but we never stamped our authority on the game, Lallana continues to run around in circles and Spiderman, as much as I rate him is not a wide man.

Lets not all look for a scapegoat FFS especially not a man that has provided many goals and assists.

Dear OP,

F*** off. Guly is a cun*ing c*nt and I am done with that tw*t. Te and time again I have a rant and everyone tells me about the moments he comes good and how he earns his place...

Well guess what, the game that I have been thinking about non stop for weeks, the game that had me up all night last night, the game that had me buzzing my nuts off from the moment I set foot outside my door this morning... Guly flapped it and flapped it a treat. He was nothing but a passenger and for me, this game is not one for passengers and if I could I would have got on that pitch, bítchslapped the brazilian Mohawk turd and carried him down the tunnel myself. I firmly believe we would have been better with just 10 men, honestly.

Well thank you for the mature, constructive evaluation of Gulys performance. I know that it won`t fit your view, but I suggest you look at his stats (goals, assists etc) and stop blaming one man for not winning one game.

The guy has been top draw for the most part of this season, particularly in home games. I think people need to lay off him a bit. When he's banging in the goals like he did against Middlesborough and Millwall etc... no one seems to mind his laid-back, languid approach. When he's splitting defences with passes like he did last week against Blackpool for Lambert to spank a shot straight at the keeper no one seemed to complain then. He is a luxury player at times, but his positives more than outweight his negatives. He perhaps struggles a bit in games like today when time on the ball is at a premium but give him that time on the ball and he is probably our most gifted player in terms of vision and providing a killer pass. To be honest, I'm more frustrated with Lallana recently. He seems to want to beat his man twice everytime when once will suffice.

Like Guly..like Lallana.. but everything you say is true. Guly looks good when the sun shines - ala Brazilian style..but he doesn't like winter weather.

Since we've lost Chaplow..its been only 5 points out of the last 15 (!) ..hardly promotion form -is it?

Again today. Lots of possession..pretty football, but it's down to Ricky again to get a point.

Without Barnard AND Connolly we are very thin up front. Either of them would have eaten some of those chances we had today....

Playing Schneiderlin as extra man when we are attacking is a Plan C, Nigel..for all his fine passing moves he couldn't hit a barn door at 20 feet.

Let's hope we still hold on to our luck until we sign those TWO new strikers in January. We need TWO .

Connolly has been out " too long " for my liking ....and Barnard is out for the season (rumoured on this site)

If Ricky gets injured again !!!....It's down to Jonno Quick, Ryan Doble and Sam Hoskins ! (you think I'm joking- don't you )

Edited by david in sweden

Anyway, while he hasn't been that good away from home, we don't have many options so he remains the best selection.

To be fair he was moved to the right wing. At that point he should of been taken off for De Ridder. I am not having a go at Guly as i actually agree with what you said but at that point a fresh fast paced De Ridder either on the right or up front would of been better then a knackered, not confident, not wanting to get stuck in Guly. Personally i think Adkins got that wrong. Why he didn't make that change who knows but we missed that pace and fresh enthusiasm which could of given us better options in my view.

Guly has scored plenty. yes he has, but look back..most of them were in summer and the Spring last season.

Barnard hasn't had games. It's not strikers, our lack of goals is mainly because we play 3 central midfielders who are very unlikely to score.

1 is fine, 2 is pushing it, but 3 makes it difficult. .

and I agree with that, too. It's all very pretty football, Lallana is a special case but other 3 have scored 2 between them..even our defenders have scored more.

Chaplow makes better runs and seems more of a goal threat. Agree totally, thats my point .

But I don't think it's as simple as Chaplow being out costing us form. We were always going to have a rough patch, and we've had tough fixtures,

I thought we'd lose at Bristol regardless, well you might have told Nigel, then we could have posted them the points, and saved the journey..

it was just a bad time to face them. It was indeed. Losing to the two bottom sides when you're supposed to be pushing for promotion isn't very impressive -is it ?

Likewise the home record was always going to end. Absolutely. I agree - it was " unfortunate " that Bart gifted the points away though...wasn't it ?

Chaplow is missed, but the rest of the squad can't use that as an excuse, they're more than capable of picking up points.

(well they should be ..but we 've picked up only 5 of the last 15 ..how many games do you think they need to prove that theory?)

Seems harsh to judge anything on 5 game spells though. Fact is we're top at Christmas and for that they've all done extremely well.

Agree again, but it's the easiest 5 game spell in the season - if you look at the rest of the programme.

Edited by david in sweden

Second highest scorer in the squad. Second highest assists in the squad. He does not deserve this heavy criticism. He is in the team on merit. Most of the division would be happy to have him in the team.

What a fickle lot many of you are.

What is wrong with giving praise where it is due and also criticising when due? Previous good peformances doesn't make him immune from criticism when he has an awful game, particularly when that awful game is against Portsmouth.

Well thank you for the mature, constructive evaluation of Gulys performance. I know that it won`t fit your view, but I suggest you look at his stats (goals, assists etc) and stop blaming one man for not winning one game.

Exactly the type of attitude that annoys me even more. This is not the first time he has been a waste of space for an entire game. If you are happy with that, then more the fool you.

Watch the replays Guly had no chance to make the header If anything he could have stayed on the line and covered. Thought he had a decent game considering the lack of decent balls into him.

Don't think we should critique ANY of our team today after the last mare at nottarf.

Point in the bag, footballing lesson dealt out, move on, League t o win

posted by D_P on EoA's pc

I like Guly, but I think he had every opportunity to challenge for and win the header. He bottled it IMO.

Personally I think Guly was better at the beginning of the season when he was playing out on the wing and we had Connolly up from with Lambert, Connolly was then linking up with Lallana and Lambert and Guly was able to provide more assists and goals.

When Connolly got injured we had to move Guly up front but luckily Chaplow came in and was playing brilliantly, now he's out injured I think we're struggling getting the balls into the box like we were.

If we were to buy someone like Maynard in January this would give Guly the chance to get back out on the wing and we'd have Maynard to do the running up front.