Gaston Ramirez - Signs 4 Year Deal

Clunge

Ramirez, will he sign Y/N  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Ramirez, will he sign Y/N

Thinking about it, he was bound to sign for us as soon as Lawro said he wouldn't.

It was only after he stopped predicting we'd go down that we actually did :lol:

I just hope Ramirez can live up to the expectation that has been built up about him now.

Thinking about it, he was bound to sign for us as soon as Lawro said he wouldn't.

It was only after he stopped predicting we'd go down that we actually did :lol:

I just hope Ramirez can live up to the expectation that has been built up about him now.

Don't expect too much from his straight away, although I think he's got the attributes to do well at this level. We've got quite a big, powerful team now.

Worldy of a post from a scouser!

Indeed, and it's also nice of them to have posted so many videos of him on the youtube. Incidentally, it's worth passing through the many goals/skills videos and watch just the one match highlights - gives you a good idea of what we're getting and can expect. Let's face it - most players can look good in a compilation video (De Ridder?) so I've just watched Bologna vs Fiorentina and Bologna vs Milan. My thoughts are that this guy gets fouled a lot and can take a knock or two. He's not a diver by any means but is just so strong on the ball and with quick feet that defenders can't help themselves. Set pieces may be key for us this season so I hope we're working on them because Ramirez looks like he'll get us a few each game. Also, despite what some have said he does actually track back, well maybe not track back but definitely a determination to win the ball back if he loses it. Finally the lad has composure and doesn't seem fazed in front of goal - the dribbling and skills may draw comparison with MLT (they're not quite the same kind of player though) but for me it's that lack of nerves and decision making when it really counts that's impressive, and that's where the comparisons are most accurate. Definitely don't think the Olympic games got the best out of him or did him justice.

Must be something but almost no need for a relegation clause, he will be gone if we go down regardless.

The great thing is, because of his age, his value will only increase - especially if he truly does the business in the Premier League. It's obvious to anyone that if one of the top European clubs comes in for him later down the line, he will want to sign for them...but at that point we'll be likely to make a pretty big profit. Win-win if you ask me

Voted No... but for the simple reason that I though the complexities of the split ownership deal and the rumours of constant changing goal posts might have fecked NC off and we would have walked away - As we have seen that these rumours were overblown and some possibly BS and NC and the team simply worked through any obstacles to bring this about.

I think the biggest lesson learned is probably that if you expect a transfer to be all done in a day - then the price paid is likely to be 25-100% more than the value of the player - If you want to pay what someone is actually worth, the negotiation is always going to be more complex, and we will lose out on some players as we get beaten by a better offer or we walk away as no deal will be possible. Those suggesting it took so long because NC was 'out of his depth' are classic numpties. IMHO it took so long because we are not to be messed around with or naive enough to simply pay more cash.

Interesting to reflect again on the poll results.

I'd say that most football fans tend to be over-optimistic about their clubs in most respects.

But 57% of those who voted in this poll were on the wrong/pessimistic side (myself included).

Some sort of proof that SWF posters and readers are disproportionately miserable bastards?

This may be the heady rush of optimistic victory talking, but I honestly think some of our fans have a bit of an inferiority complex. I'm not going to call anyone out on here, but I have got mates who send increasingly wound up texts to me when we're not playing particularly well, or think that we'll never sign player x. I'm not having a pop either. I remember our last stint in the Prem all too well. Struggling Southampton. Plucky Southampton. Hear something enough times and you'll start to believe it.

It was not always so. I'm a little too young to remember this with any sort of objective clarity, and maybe someone with a few more years can tell me whether I'm talking tosh, but I remember a tremendous buzz about the team and the city when we came close to winning the league in the mid 80s. No fear then, as far as I can recall.

I've said this before, but genuinely think Ramirez is the signing that'll convince other players to sign. Hopefully, his capture will have changed a few minds on what Southampton FC are capable of too.

Indeed, and it's also nice of them to have posted so many videos of him on the youtube. Incidentally, it's worth passing through the many goals/skills videos and watch just the one match highlights - gives you a good idea of what we're getting and can expect. Let's face it - most players can look good in a compilation video (De Ridder?) so I've just watched Bologna vs Fiorentina and Bologna vs Milan. My thoughts are that this guy gets fouled a lot and can take a knock or two. He's not a diver by any means but is just so strong on the ball and with quick feet that defenders can't help themselves. Set pieces may be key for us this season so I hope we're working on them because Ramirez looks like he'll get us a few each game. Also, despite what some have said he does actually track back, well maybe not track back but definitely a determination to win the ball back if he loses it. Finally the lad has composure and doesn't seem fazed in front of goal - the dribbling and skills may draw comparison with MLT (they're not quite the same kind of player though) but for me it's that lack of nerves and decision making when it really counts that's impressive, and that's where the comparisons are most accurate. Definitely don't think the Olympic games got the best out of him or did him justice.

I've 'scouted' him out on Youtube too and have to disagree with the diving comment above. He's gunna do it, but like C.Ronaldo he's the type to draw a foul so I guess in some ways it's self-preservation, trying to get the refs to protect him and scare defenders into not tackling him in fear of a card.

Of course I could be wrong, it's just Youtube after all!

Seems to be able to make chances for himself but doesn't always take them, but the backheel (against Fiorentina I think?) does remind me of that flick Zola did not too many moons ago - if he does that for us I'm going to spray everywhere.

Just really really hope the guy doesn't turn out to be like Rebrov/Carroll/Luque/Aquilani/Pavlyuchenko/Mutu/Shevchenko/Downing/Henderson/Delgado to name but a few!

Bargain/waste of money: we'll have to wait and see, plus hope for the best.

I voted "no", BTW, not because I am a pessimist, but because 90%+ of all those players we are "linked" with do NOT end up in red and wite striped shirts. Just see the HCDAJFU thread

Oh, sorry, in red shirts either.

The new Zidane?

I caught up with Italian journo Daniele Labanti who was updating the situation a lot on twitter. He thinks we have a bargain.

http://georgeweahscousin.com/2012/09/01/good-things-come-to-those-who-wait/

Thanks again.

Love this bit

“Ramirez is a great young player. As a comparison, he had more impact in Italy than Pastore had in Palermo before they sold him to PSG for €43 million. So we can say Southampton completed a good deal for ‘just’ €14 million. Ramirez can dribble, kick with both feet, is quite speedy and has good stamina. He has to improve his mentality, stop (trash) talking with opponents and referee first.”

The new Zidane?

I caught up with Italian journo Daniele Labanti who was updating the situation a lot on twitter. He thinks we have a bargain.

http://georgeweahscousin.com/2012/09/01/good-things-come-to-those-who-wait/

Keep them coming GWC - always interesting to read a slightly different angle on things. ZZ eh? Now thats a big comparison to make.

What I love when looking at the youtube compilations is when he scores he always recognize and give credit to his teammate that has fed him with the pass. That to me shows team character and I love that.

I really dislike those players that when they score celebrate like "look at me I scored even though my teammate dribbled four players and put the ball on the goalline for me, but hey I scored so I want the credit for it".

another question, how many of you have ordered a new jersey in the onlineshop so far? :)

Lawro has apologised to Southampton fans on Football Focus.

Love the way it was squirmed out of him!

Quality. It is worth noting though that when you look at the initial MOTD 3 clip when he said GR wouldn't be signing for us, Jason Roberts was much more condescending. Listen to it from 6:35 right through. He seems to say that GR would only be saying he wants to join us as a bargaining tactic to get a "bigger" move elsewhere. Patronising in the extreme but typical of what to expect now we are in the prem.

another question, how many of you have ordered a new jersey in the onlineshop so far? :)

Jersey, I was wondering about a nice new cardie or perhaps a tank-top.

Do people really still refer to football shirts as jerseys outside the USA? I actually prefer guernseys like they wear in Aussie Rules.

just watched it on bbc iplayer. it was hardly heartfelt, just like aa politician trying to keep his job

Jesus Christ. Pundit offers opinion and is wrong and you want a "heartfelt" apology? Get over yourself. Lawro couldn't give two shi ts about us and why should he.

What I love when looking at the youtube compilations is when he scores he always recognize and give credit to his teammate that has fed him with the pass. That to me shows team character and I love that.

I really dislike those players that when they score celebrate like "look at me I scored even though my teammate dribbled four players and put the ball on the goalline for me, but hey I scored so I want the credit for it".

alan Shearer was possibly the worst offender!

even on his debut - he scored a hat trick and I remember thinking that he didn't once thank Colin Clarke who had literally laid each goal on a plate for him.

funny the things that get to you as a fan.

alan Shearer was possibly the worst offender!

even on his debut - he scored a hat trick and I remember thinking that he didn't once thank Colin Clarke who had literally laid each goal on a plate for him.

funny the things that get to you as a fan.

Not that I was around at that time, but Shearer was 17 or something right?! Surely he is allowed to go mental on his debut!?!

Ok, if anyone needed reminding how big a deal this is glance back at the first few pages. It's massive! And how much space did we get in the Sun today? 2 lines in the corner! Whilst Swansea get a whole page for their new signing and Charlie Adam to Stoke get's a whole page. Ok it's not that big a deal but it has annoyed me a bit...