• Davis, S
    • Cork
    • Guly
    • Puncheon
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Chaplow
    • Ramirez

Once again, Adkins got his tactics spot on. That's four games since Christmas where he's tweaked our starting lineup and shape in order to counter specific threats (Fulham, Stoke, Arsenal, Chelsea) and four times we've come away with arguably unexpected results. :adore:

Had a quick look through the match day thread. Some ridiculous comment in there, from the same people who have been completely wrong at half time in the past before... writing us off too soon. You'd think they'd learn, alas no.

Regardless, cracking result. Should have done better clearing the goals really and would agree that Davis and Guly had poor games. Really impressed with everyone else. Special mention to Clyne and Shaw who not only kept Mata, Oscar and Hazard at bay (which is amazing in itself) but also setup the goals. Two England players in the making there. Rickie obviously a legend. Puncheon has made me realise that people can change, fair play to him, hope we can keep him.

I'm inclined to think we would have lost had Rickie and Gaston been on from the start. Just think we changed our game plan with the subs (RL in particular) which confused Chelsea and let us back in it.

Thankful that the Chelsea Torres turned up tonight too!!!

I am pleased for NA and the team that their game plan worked out.

But come on, it was very, very risky. If we'd got thumped, it would have had a bad effect on our confidence going forwards.

What like when they beat us 5-1 at home 10 days ago ?

Thats had a real bad effect on the two games we have played since hasn't it ?

Once again, Adkins got his tactics spot on. That's four games since Christmas where he's tweaked our starting lineup and shape in order to counter specific threats (Fulham, Stoke, Arsenal, Chelsea) and four times we've come away with arguably unexpected results. :adore:

this!

Well done the mighty Saints.....

Very good team effort...

I notice still one or two idiots WUM or just nutters.....not a clue with some of their pathetic comments:p

If you didn't enjoy what took place tonight.......FLUUUUCK OFF you idiots...

Saints night and for us Saints supporters to enjoy:)

COYS

WTF, no-one is interested in a balanced discussion tonight, so I'll give up.

Most people are interested in a balanced discussion, but you don't understand what it means. Makes I laugh when you come out with this twaddle evry time you're shown to be a class 1 clown (yes I do mean clown, most clowns are miserable sods off stage).

I am pleased for NA and the team that their game plan worked out.

But come on, it was very, very risky. If we'd got thumped, it would have had a bad effect on our confidence going forwards.

Risky? Yes.

Did it work? Yes.

Give credit where credit is due. That's an absolute fantastic result. Can't believe anybody is questioning Adkins tactics to be honest.

Stunning result - result of the season even though it wasn't a win. Agree with what's been said - "feels like a win" " a free point" etc etc.

I'm normally glass half full but have treaded with caution this season - and indeed I saw nothing from this game, so I'm astonished we drew.

Triffic. Now for Everton.

Boruc - not much to do really, deflected 1st goal and let down by defence for 2nd. Looked assured towards end. I think we held a higher line as result.

full backs were both excellent

cork and Spider-Man outstanding, Davis looks poor and Guly ended his run of decent form.

jay rod ran around, Lambo changed the game giving a focus to our attack.

Adkins - MOTM, gambled big time with the line-up ala Man City away and it came off.

Two shots on goal for us tonight, two goals scored. Clinical.

Benitez is clueless - we had chances. Should score chances. They had 18 shots on goal, 3 were on target. Torres must go down as the biggest waste of money of all time. I'd rather have 50 Rickie Lamberts.

Stunning management ? We're 2-0 down, 35mins to go, and our 2 best players on paper are on the bench. FFS, even you would have made those subs.

Yes.. I do love these comments about stunning management after the result... the truth is that we put out the wrong team in the first place. 1st half was similar to Liverpool game where we gave the opposition too much respect, with no outlet up front. The game could have been out of sight and then I doubt we would have had 'stunning management' comments. Its all so easy after the event.

Lambert has to play from the start, he's not using a walking stick so I think 90 minutes is just about within his capability..

everything changed when he came on and he would have been unplayable from the 1st minute.

Davis was utter w4nk, just as a negative. Guly not really involved. Only downsides to tonight, Nigel was absolutely spot-on to take them off and bring on 2 attacking players in their places! All the hate directed at the lineup when it was announced must henceforth be withdrawn, having Rickie and Gaston to come on and make an impact worked superbly.

Honestly thought we would get another battering tonight.....so I figured I would just avoid the score until full time....

GOD I LOVE IT WHEN I GET IT SO WRONG!!!!!!

Bloody amazing result, and everyone connected with the team and especially those that gave the European champions a run for their money should be very very proud of this achievement......

So proud to be a Saints fan tonight.....more so than normal...

Brilliant just bloody brilliant!

Davis was utter w4nk, just as a negative. Guly not really involved. Only downsides to tonight, Nigel was absolutely spot-on to take them off and bring on 2 attacking players in their places! All the hate directed at the lineup when it was announced must henceforth be withdrawn, having Rickie and Gaston to come on and make an impact worked superbly.

Guly was poor when he got the ball tonight, but he did a hell of a lot of work supporting Shaw defensively. That's why he was picked ahead of Ramirez - let's not forget, he was completely anonymous on Saturday at Villa.

Interestingly the Yahoo sport page made Jos MOTM...don't actually agree but he's not let anyone down since he came in for Jose...nor do I think he will.

I thought he was poor first half, but credit to him he turned it around second half and made some very important blocks/clearances

I don't understand why Ricky can't make an 'impact ' all game. Does anyone know?

Wonder what the stats are for Saints leading by 2 goals at half time. :|

Another stat from BBC:

"Southampton came back from two goals down in a Premier League away match for the fourth time (1W - 3D) and for the first time since 2-2 at Leicester City in Aug 2003."

When people post about needing 'Premier League experience' on the pitch, you have to remember that Nige is very much learning as he goes along. He didn't have any such when the season started either, and despite the horrendous run of games to start with he set his stall out to play 'proper' football, and didn't feel the need to panic and change things because he saw enough positives in the performances against the 'big' clubs, despite the results. What we now have is a squad with half a season of the necessary experience, and playing with the confidence that they really can cut it against the prima donnas and World Cup megastars.

I don't understand why Ricky can't make an 'impact ' all game. Does anyone know?

The main thing for me is that it unsettles the opposition defence a bit. They're expecting to have a really physical opponent to deal with, and it's probably easier to deal with that sort of presence from the start of the game - we see so often teams bringing on big physical strikers when they're chasing the game, and it's because when a defender is tired, it makes him more susceptible to losing aerial battles. If Lambert's been battling it out with Cahill, Ivanovic, Luiz or whoever Chelsea pick at the back for 65/70 minutes, he'll be tired himself (and the combination of his physique and age mean he probably wouldn't be at his peak later in the game), so perhaps the comeback we saw tonight doesn't happen.

I fully expect a similar system with Lambert benched at Old Trafford in a couple of weeks, Rodriguez to run around a lot for the first hour or so and then Lambert to come on and change things in our favour again.

PICK THAT ONE OUT!

Was refreshing desperately online at 2-0 but internet died. 2-2 at full time feels as good as a win! :D

Now we are going to be fending off £30m bids for Clyne and Shaw now...

How many teams must feel so stupid for not getting Clyne in at that matter, £2.5m to make him our first choice RB has to be one of those buys of the season!

The main thing for me is that it unsettles the opposition defence a bit. They're expecting to have a really physical opponent to deal with, and it's probably easier to deal with that sort of presence from the start of the game - we see so often teams bringing on big physical strikers when they're chasing the game, and it's because when a defender is tired, it makes him more susceptible to losing aerial battles. If Lambert's been battling it out with Cahill, Ivanovic, Luiz or whoever Chelsea pick at the back for 65/70 minutes, he'll be tired himself (and the combination of his physique and age mean he probably wouldn't be at his peak later in the game), so perhaps the comeback we saw tonight doesn't happen.

I fully expect a similar system with Lambert benched at Old Trafford in a couple of weeks, Rodriguez to run around a lot for the first hour or so and then Lambert to come on and change things in our favour again.

Thanks. All seems very plausible. Good explanation.

Their goals seemed avoidable, though I'm told they did create some other chances so I won't grumble at all about that. Great comeback and superb to see two assists from the fullbacks being brave when it would be fair to accept they would be worried about bombing forward in other circumstances.

Say what you want out the Adkins relentless positivity in public but he has never once derailed from that theme and it seems the players are well on board with him. Apparently Yoshida was on US TV before the game and when asked about Saints upturn in form since November he instantly said Adkins and his positivity.

It's a bonus point both with respect to feelings before the game and then how the game panned out. But more importantly it adds to that momentum that we're hell bent on picking up points no matter what and we'll play a style and team on a game-by-game basis to get them. Looks like the 'Southampton Way' quickly changed from show horning players into a pre-meditated formation and playing one way to selecting the best men for the job to stop the opposition and keep a goal threat ourselves. Quite a dramatic change if we're honest. But no complaints from me, very happy with how quickly we've adapted to this league and the belief instilled into the players from the Management team.

Feels like we can have a proper go at a good Everton team now and make it a very different game to earlier this season.