• Davis, S
    • Cork
    • Guly
    • Puncheon
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Chaplow
    • Ramirez

Great result tonight. Really didn't expect it at half time.

I didn't watch the match but am currently watching the extended highlights on Sky. Gotta say if Guly had a bad match then they've cut the poor bits out. I should also mention that it's a great bit of ball retention under pressure that allows him to start the move that led to the first goal.

Finally, supposition on what might have happened if we'd started with a different team is pointless. Who knows what the outcome would've been? It's easy to justify your point either way to be brutally honest. I know it's part of the fun of being a football fan it's just that some people do manage to suck all of the fun out of it.

Chelsea fans phoning up TalkSport drooling over our two fullbacks and overall team performance. Makes a change opposition fans highlighting our quality as a factor in the result rather than concentrating on just bemoaning their own performance. Fair play.

Balanced argument:

We aren't feared anymore at home, teams no what to do, get at us and you will get something from a game, it's that simple. We have no shape, no discipline and no organisation what so ever at home, and just a say enough away. You could see from the early part of the game that Saints had time on the ball and actually passed it brilliantly, we stood off, made them look great and all in all they have to be given credit because they pressed us and we don't like it.

Can't blame fatty, but as unit tonight we bottled it, but that is as much credit to them as against us because at home we have no idea how to kill off teams nor completely cut them off their stride and break up play.

Someone tell me we don't need a midfield enforcer and I will go mental, Ramires was truly awful tonight, has to be one of the worst passers I have seen and to add to that he has one feather to his bow and that's counter attacking pace, that's it.

Not joking but this season is dead....Roll on summer and it seems I say that earlier and earlier every season.....It's just gets effing worse it really does.

Passion and quality has all gone.

Give me my Chelsea back.

From a Chelsea forum, so both sides :smug:

Chelsea fans phoning up TalkSport drooling over our two fullbacks and overall team performance.

don't blame them. Clyne at his absolute best and Shaw, well, he's the real deal and exactly why we didn't see a left back as a priority in the summer

Puncheon's finish reminiscent of Le Tiss at his best. Deserves a contract for that alone.

Oh really? It reminded me of Jason Puncheon at his best.

Brilliant effort from the lads with Schneiderlin and Cork doubling their worth at a stroke. We're going to find it hard to keep some of our players unfortunately as everyone will be scouting them... and that is looking likely to for Adkins. Let's hope he doesn't get too big for our boots like Rodgers and Lambert (not Rickie!).

We could be challenging for the title next season if we keep the core of our young team together.

Brilliant effort from the lads with Schneiderlin and Cork doubling their worth at a stroke. We're going to find it hard to keep some of our players unfortunately as everyone will be scouting them... and that is looking likely to for Adkins. Let's hope he doesn't get too big for our boots like Rodgers and Lambert (not Rickie!).

We could be challenging for the title next season if we keep the core of our young team together.

Lets make it clear.

Are you taking about Arsenal or Southampton tonight?

It would have to be a big proper club to tempt Nigel.

Here he has been given more backing (third/fourth highest summer spenders) than anyone else in the league that he could hope to work for...

Great performance. Introduction of Lambert was key, what a brilliant player he is. We really are improving all the time and have some top class talent in the team. Sat in the Chelsea west stand and had to listen to over confident rants and absolute garbage for 90 mins. Feel top of the world with that result.

Funny old night, just on the train home after a couple of pints.

First half we offered little, and Chelsea picked us off for ease for two fairly soft goals.

Everyone I spoke to at half-time agreed we'd take 2-0 right now. We got Adkins tactics of staying in the game and then going for it with what we've got on the bench later on, but at 2-0, we thought that was it.

2nd half we had a right old go, even before Lambert came on, but he did make a difference and showed how much he's still got on Rodriguez. Cracking 20mins of play, we could have possibly pushed on and got a third, but an excellent effort to see out the game, thought Yoshida was very good.

Ramirez still frustrates me, one moment of absolute genius, but gave the ball away and a couple of soft free kicks were unnecessary.

Support good and loud, but why don't we get behind the players out there playing? Bods around me screaming at Guly when he's doing his best against the Champions of Europe, but then constantly singing the Gaston Ramirez song when he wasn't even playing. We had 11 lads out there grafting, get behind them!

Regardless, f******g great night. Up the Saints!

Well, that felt more like a win than a draw. Adkins' tactics were spot on with the five across the middle denying Chelski the space to play the killer ball between the lines and Rodrigues was always a threat to them on the break as they found out during the Cup match. We had obviously hoped to stifle them for the first half and hope that their heads would drop and that the crowd would get on their backs and even when we went one down, we didn't vary our play and it still looked as if we were frustrating them. When they got their second just before half time, I thought that we would have to go for broke and switch to 4-4-2 with Lambert up front with Rodrigues in a last throw of the dice to try and get something out of it, but expecting that if we did so, there was always the possibility that the extra space would gift Chelski the chance to put a further 2 or 3 past us like they did in the Cup match.

But Adkins played a blinder tactically as it turned out and the ever reliable Lambert and the budding quality of Shaw providing the cross for Puncheon's superb finish produced the equaliser against the multi million pound European Champions. Am I the only one that feels that had Davis scored his simple tap in chance, we could have had all three points?

This point was largely unexpected, but must give the team a massive confidence boost. Apart from the stuffing by Arsenal early in the season, we have had creditable performances against the two Manc teams when we actually led them and should have beaten Arsenal. And now we have held Chelski to a draw, it does look that the gap between us and the top teams is narrowing. We start to look better than all those teams currently below us and more on a par with a few of the other teams just above us.

A couple of signings like those rumoured to be in hand and we should be able to press on upwards.

Hit JRod early down the channels or don't bother. Not JRod's fault, we just don't pick up his runs quickly enough. Way we played first half was crying out for Lambert to hold the ball up. He came on, immediate impact. Another point, we have England's future fullbacks. Finally, Schneiderlin and Cork played really well.

Just got back (went for a few afterwards with mates).

Great result and I think it was the least we deserved from our peformance. They had a lot of shots but they were either long shots that went miles wide or scruffy shots with hardly any power.

First half I felt we were a bit edgy and were our own worst enemies. The two goals came from mistakes and should have been dealt with. Ba's goal was good but he should not have had that space. The second goal I thought Boruc should have saved but again it should have been dealt with before it got to that. Davis and Guly were just terrible.

Second half we were much better and looked more involved in the game and caused more problems. When Lambert came on I thought we were by far the better team. They just went to sleep and thought that was it.

Gaston was a big influence too and they didn't know what to do with him. Our two goals were awesome especially Jason's. Watching the replay makes it look even better!

All in all very happy with that. MOTM was Morgan as he put in an imense performance and was everywhere. Shaw also deserves another mention as he was superb. I can't believe how good this kid is after so few games. I am starting to think maybe he will be a left winger eventually sort of like how Bale grew into that role.

Another note is that when we played them in the cup the atmosphere was **** and a lot of people complained about it. In this match their fans were no better then we were. They were quiet for a lot of the match and only seemed vocal when we got back to 2-2 and Torres came on. Seemed more concerned with having a go at their own team and manager then supporting them. Was a very weird thing to witness.

Edited by St Marco

Did not expect that. As has been mentioned, at half time I'd have probably taken the 2-0 loss. Games like tonight make it worth the money paid going to every away game throughout a whole season, to see your team come back from 2 down away against the European champions. Absolutely mental goal celebration for the equaliser. That was worth every bit of

50 quid and the rest (or 25 for those of us that bought kids tickets) I am 100% sure we will stay up.

Up the Saints.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well, I switched the TV off at half-time as I was in a temper. It was late out here in Qatar and I didn't want to watch Saints "gift" Chelsea any more goals. I was also particularly upset with Adkins leaving our 2 best players on the bench. And then........I arrive at my office in the desert this morning to find out it was 2-2. Magic! We played okay first half, but really we were too negative, and the defending for their 2 goals was comical. Reminiscent of earlier in the season. I don't agree that Adkins got his tactics spot on, but, fair play, he must have motivated the boys at half-time. Why we paid 7M for J-Rod I don't know, but luckily we have Rickie. If only he were 5 years younger. Well done to the boys, particularly Puncheon, and the fans who went. At half-time I honestly thought we were looking down the barrel of a 5-0 drubbing, so 2-2 has literally made my week.

Not convinced. You play your best team. By the time NA decided to throw on SRL and Gaston for their 110% we could have been 5 down and Chelsea could have been over the hill.

Reckon NA would even admit we've been a bit fortunate. But its about time we had a visit from Lady Luck.

You are say a manager must always play his best team,Sir Alex Ferguson who is the most successful Prem manager rotates his players and that includes Rooney etc etc,Nigel Adkins puts out what he thinks will do the job on the day and you call him incompetent,the side and tactics against Stoke away were spot on.You deserve all the abuse you get and more,try to be more balanced in your postings and then you will not come across as a Skate troll.

Watched the goals again this morning - have a look at Rickies goal - just when Clyne delivers the ball he pusches the defender in the back to get clear area to head the ball - a true striker : )
Yeah noticed that at the time, massive shove and lucky it wasn't spotted, but shows the much needed ruthlessness to get goals at this level.

Deep joy! From posting I wasn't going 'on principle' LOL on Monday morning our school football academy leader rocks up in my office Monday afternoon, Chelsea been on the phone (we have a Chelsea academy at school), we can have 40 tkts free(!), do you fancy taking the boys up? Do I! Coach booked, tenner a head, decent seats, high in the upper tier up next to the away fans. Weird watching the game from the other side of the fence, 40 of us in a mixed group and near the away fans so still able to give it a bit though! Sat in front of some teen wanna-bes, mixed Chelsea/Arsenal/Palace/Ipswich fans, absolutely drooling over our players. They reckoned Clyne, Shaw and Schneiderlin would all start for Arsenal at the moment.

Our support last night, just unbelievable! Don't know how many we had, must have been 500-600 in the upper and I couldn't see the lower from where a I was. Sung from first to last, plenty of variety, bags of volume, bags of spirit, straight back on it after both their goals. I really do believe we have got a team that are really feeding off the support, a real 12th man last night. Home fans? Unbelievable, heard them for 90 seconds after each goal and for a little bit in the last 10 minutes. Don't anybody post up for the remainder of the season about the atmosphere at SMS, Chelsea fans TRULY shocking last night.

Good to see NA getting it so right, tactics-wise, why do people get so uppity when RL doesn't start? He's not been 'dropped' FFS, he's been rotated, it's a 16 man game and NA ****ed all over Benitez last night. Top team spirit we've got at the moment, the players genuinely playing for the manager, each other and the fans. Take the first games out of it and I think we have lost 2 out of the last 12, we are right back on that winning mentality, 'together as one' stuff.

Massive respect to:

NC for sticking with NA, a lucky general or a football genius?

NA for his starting line-up and the positive attacking football we play.

Clyne for his pace, he makes mistakes but he's quick enough to fix most of them himself.

Shaw, are there any words left? He could take us anywhere at the moment.

Big up for Jos! Decent effort the last two games, always a squad player at this level, but looks like he's getting into it now.

Joshi, loved him from the first game, massive heart and just loves playing football, joy to have him.

Punch, starting to look like the finished article, I forgot Ashley Cole was playing the last 25 minutes, gave him a torrid time.

Morgan, what's he worth this morning?

Cork, he's always been good, he's now added the consistency he didn't show last season, England calling?

JRod, so much more confident than when he started, looks like he is starting to believe he belongs in the Prem.

RL, turned the game. Does so much off the ball, their back 4 just fell to pieces once he came on.

Still buzzing now!