Wigan v Swansea

whelk

Yes.

And lets face it, having led the NPC almost all year, in the end we staggered and fell over the finish line for promotion

We lost to Blackpool and Reading on the run-in. In fact someone pointed out we cheerfully hammered the bottom 2 thirds of the table, and lost most games against the top 6.

What does it matter who you beat? You don't get extra points for winning games against those around you.

All the points count the same, if you win enough, you achieve what you want. No matter who the wins come against.

All the points count the same, if you win enough, you achieve what you want. No matter who the wins come against.

All points DO count the same, but surely if we had taken 3 off Reading and zero against Coventry we would gave won the league with the same points total that we ended up with to get 2nd in the end...

All points DO count the same, but surely if we had taken 3 off Reading and zero against Coventry we would gave won the league with the same points total that we ended up with to get 2nd in the end...

Exactly this, If we'd beaten Sunderland, Wigan and Newcastle instead of Cheslea, Liverpool and Man City we'd be safe by now. Same points for a win, very different look to the table.

Exactly this, If we'd beaten Sunderland, Wigan and Newcastle instead of Cheslea, Liverpool and Man City we'd be safe by now. Same points for a win, very different look to the table.

Yep. Maybe a few less hand-shandies in these parts would have taken place too.

right, so if the points came off those teams around us, impacting the bottom more, then surely we would be safer, and higher up the table? So people may actually have been more excited?

Nah, you've lost me there. I havent crossed the boundary into surreality like you have.

this is our biggest game of the season. Our cup final! Games like this are why we want to be premier league. It's a real motivation for saints youth players to think that one day they too could be sitting on arse hoping swans do them favour.

Personally, want Wigan to win. We still have a chance at overhauling Swansea. Their final two fixtures are Man U away and Fulham at home. If they go LLD, we can take 'em. We're not going to be relegated. We're 6x more likely to finish 10th than 18th...

--> http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/Southampton.html

but if Swansea were to win then all the nervous nellies would have to shut the f*ck up,at least for this season,wouldn't that be better than finishing a place higher ?

I want a big Swansea win, and don't know why anyone else would want anything different. I don't think we'll go down, but I want us as safe asap.

Well if you don't think we will go down and think Saints will get points from Stoke and Sunderland, then a Wigan win is the best thing tonight.

I want a big Swansea win, and don't know why anyone else would want anything different. I don't think we'll go down, but I want us as safe asap.

Pretty much my view on it. Don't think I'd stake an outside chance of relegation on the off chance we could make the top 10.

Well if you don't think we will go down and think Saints will get points from Stoke and Sunderland, then a Wigan win is the best thing tonight.

You do say some prattish things sometimes. He said he wants us safe ASAP.

Just got a text off Shane (Dig Dig) - this morning he managed to get a ticket in the Swansea end and has travelled up today. Said he told his PA to book him out for the day. :lol:

Top man.

:toppa:

Cheers lad, Swansea fans in good spirits but they are not sure that their players can match Wigans fight and intensity.

Cheers lad, Swansea fans in good spirits but they are not sure that their players can match Wigans fight and intensity.

They have had a good season, won a trophy and already in Europe for next year. I would also imagine they still like Martinez after what he did there and would happily see Wigan stay up.

Will be interesting though: first real pressure match for Wigan where people expect them to win. Enjoy the game, cheer on the Swans.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Personally, want Wigan to win. We still have a chance at overhauling Swansea. Their final two fixtures are Man U away and Fulham at home. If they go LLD, we can take 'em. We're not going to be relegated. We're 6x more likely to finish 10th than 18th...

--> http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/Southampton.html

That doesn't make any sense, surely you would want Wigan to lose so the gap between us and them stay the same? As long as it's not the bottom 3, I don't care what position we finish in!

Our no 1 priority has to be a Prem place next season so IMO we want a Swansea win or a draw. A Wigan win gives them momentum and give the media something else to write about regarding another 'great escape' being on. Wigan lose tonight and the media emphasis will shift to how big a mountain they have to climb given Arsenal away is their next game.

Our no 1 priority has to be a Prem place next season so IMO we want a Swansea win or a draw. A Wigan win gives them momentum and give the media something else to write about regarding another 'great escape' being on. Wigan lose tonight and the media emphasis will shift to how big a mountain they have to climb given Arsenal away is their next game.

This. A defeat and they would need to beat Arsenal to have a chance. Draw and they would need at least a draw at Arsenal to have a chance.

All signs tonight point to a Wigan win. Their form, Swansea's form, Swansea's safety...

I'll be cheering on the Welsh. Come on Swansea!

Wigan wont win tonight, draw at best. Regardless I think that there are atleast 3 worst teams right now, Sunderland looked hopeless enough last night despite Johnson and Rose playing well and Stoke looking useless. Newcastle are out of form and I cant see where Norwich are going to get any more points.

We will be ok

Wigan wont win tonight, draw at best.

Before Saturday I had the Swansea game as their home-banker to win, and had them down as a 'maybe' to beat WBA.

I was gutted that they managed to win on sat. I don't see Swansea doing us a favour tonight.

I'd be very pleased to be wrong on this.

So basically the odds are shortening with every result.

Worrying times (if you are of the type that thinks bookies odds have any relevance to what will happen, which I'm not).

Yep, worrying but not panic stations.

I do think bookies odds are a good reflection of actual probablities (far better than those of a ranter on a message board, anyway)

If Wigan win tonight, the odds on Saints will shorten to about 16/1.

They have had a good season, won a trophy and already in Europe for next year. I would also imagine they still like Martinez after what he did there and would happily see Wigan stay up.

Will be interesting though: first real pressure match for Wigan where people expect them to win. Enjoy the game, cheer on the Swans.

Arrived, in a boozer with some Swans and some can't understand/don't seem to like that I am here!?

Sunderland away is a massive game, however would prefer it if wigan lose today and we can go there take a draw and be happy that were be 5 points clear, knowing wigan would need 6 points from Arsenal and Villa.

but a point would take us above Villa anyway because they're going to get their collective ass kicked by Chelsea on Saturday.

If Wigan beat them it wouldn't matter to us. We need a point and everything becomes virtually definitive.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Everyone got their popcorn ready for another night of rubbish football?

I think Wigan will win. I am hoping that they get no more than 1 point... Then we can relax.

Then watch them draw at Arsenal!