Billy Sharp joins Reading on loan

Saint-Armstrong

Guy in the office is a Reading fan.

He reckons a lot of the hold up is over dates. Loans can only be for 3 months outside the Transfer Window, so they want to make sure he is available for the xmas fixtures, apparently - so may happen later in the week.

This is according to their version of TSW he frequents. So could be complete rubbish, like a lot of the stuff on here.

Guy in the office is a Reading fan.

He reckons a lot of the hold up is over dates. Loans can only be for 3 months outside the Transfer Window, so they want to make sure he is available for the xmas fixtures, apparently - so may happen later in the week.

This is according to their version of TSW he frequents. So could be complete rubbish, like a lot of the stuff on here.

Makes sense. The most he can do is a 90 day loan I think so they would want it to cover the Xmas period.

Logical that the loan delay would happen, if it's a season long loan it can only be terminated in Transfer Windows - but as it hasn't happened in a Transfer Window it's classed as an emergency loan which have a 3 month limit (as mentioned above).

We've had a few of these kind of weird delays before when making/providing loans in order to maximise the number of games from the loan period (mostly in Championship pre-takeover), though no names immediately spring to mind.

Guess the delay is because they're waiting for the end of the month so the end of the loan comes at the start of the next transfer window. Could be Reading have offered to buy Sharp if the loan is a success and they're right up there with a chance of promotion.

• 2 months later...
One of our players out on loan scored a goal last night. I thought it might be of interest that one of our loanees is playing well. No ulterior motive on my part.

Fair play mr trousers, what I really mean is once resurrected why are people so ****ish about him. Although I have no idea why I would be surprised by this or asking at all here...

I would bet that if he had played the same games for us as Osvaldo, he would have scored more than one, FFS, I bet Kevin phillips would have scored more!

You need chances to score to be honest, and we dont create enough

Sharp would give us nothing at all in our build up or pressing game, IMO

I think we have proved that sometimes change aint neccesaary, especially up front. We had BS and we paid 15M for someone who, currently, doesnt live up to Billy's scoring record[b/]. But dont let the facts get in the way of defending a 'big' signing.

Billy Sharp has never scored in a top flight match. So what "scoring record" are you using to compare him with Oswaldo (a current Italian international and 3rd top scorer in Serie A last season)?

• 3 weeks later...
Apparently he's been saying he has no future with Saints and wants a permanent move to Reading....surely missing a penalty should help him achieve that. I'm afeared that they'll sack Adkins and ship Sharp back to us very soon.

Theyre in the play off places, why on earth would they sack Adkins?

Theyre in the play off places, why on earth would they sack Adkins?

Because they are slowly slipping down

Go on the hobnob forum, more and more are fed up with him

Rerember, they sacked the manager that won the league with a lesser squad than this

Because they are slowly slipping down

Go on the hobnob forum, more and more are fed up with him

Rerember, they sacked the manager that won the league with a lesser squad than this

Slowly slipping down the table, eh? Hope that never happens to us.

Blackpool away the season before last, we lost 3-0. Sharp missed the penalty which would have put us 1-0 up and we capitulated. F*cking dreadful penalty too.
I don't think Sharp is PL standard but we should leave him alone as he is a decent man and still a Saint

I don't think Sharp is PL standard but we should leave him alone as he is a decent man and still a Saint

Nothing against him as a player or a person. In fact, I really admire him - to go through what he's been through and come out the other side stronger is amazing.

As a footballer though he has his limitations, and I don't think his move to us has helped in that respect. He is now a big money signing for a club at his level to make due to the wages he's on with us and the amount we would expect to receive as a transfer fee from the club that buys him. In order to spend £1.5m+ in fees and 20k a week on a striker at Championship level, he has to be a sure thing (for most clubs, at least). He had a great scoring record with us in the Championship, but hasn't illustrated that at either Forest or Reading. Until he starts scoring again, I don't think clubs will be queuing up to sign him - which is the problem we had with trying to shift him in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...