Advise Please,incident yesterday.

mirrorcarp

Ok guys something happened to me at yesterdays match and if there is anyone out there who might know what the outcome will be i would be gratefull.

I am not dressing anything up and will explain what happened exactly as it was.

I am a 45 year old lifelong fan. Season ticket holder of many years and have averaged 6-8 away games most years.

At half time yesterday i was stood by my seat with my back to the pitch talking to some people in the row behind me. One of the guys produced a hip flask, i did not even know what was in it.

.Several people had a sip and he offered it to me. I took 2 sips and gave it back to him. I never gave it a seconds thought,i did not try to hide it and wasnt even aware that i had done anything wrong.

5 minutes later 3 stewards appeared , singled me out and asked me to come with them. The second half was about to start and i genuinly had no idea why they had come for me.

I was led downstairs to the cell area where the police informed me i had been seen drinking in the stadium. They took all my personal details and confiscated my season ticket. I was then ejected from the ground.

I asked them what happens now and they said it is now in the hands of the club.

I did not bring alcohol into the ground 100% fact.

I was not abusive,did not swear, and co operated despite the fact i was seething inside.

I was not drunk either.

Does anybody out there have any experience of this. Will i get my ticket back. I am absolutely distraught at the moment.The thought of a ban is very upsetting.

Ive seen people do a lot worse things at football and i cant think for the life of me why i was pulled and nobody else.The guy who had the flask was fine.

If there are any stewards or people linked to the club reading this can you please tell me what my options are. Missing the second half yesyerday was bad enough

but if i miss more football after spending £600 i will be livid.

Advice please.

Edited by mirrorcarp

Did they find the said flask and if so can they prove it was alcohol. If not deny everything.

Nope,never searched me. Never asked what was in it. This is the odd thing you would think they would try to find it wouldnt you. I did not admit or deny having a sip but christ its hardly crime of the century is it.

Edited by mirrorcarp

Ok guys something happened to me at yesterdays match and if there is anyone out there who might know what the outcome will be i would be gratefull.

I am a 45 year old lifelong fan. Season ticket holder of many years and have averaged 6-8 away games most years.

At half time yesterday i was stood by my seat with my back to the pitch talking to some people in the row behind me. One of the guys produced a hip flask

which had some homemade sloe gin in it.Several people had a sip and he offered it to me. I took 2 sips and gave it back to him. I never gave it a seconds thought,i did not try to hide it and wasnt even aware that i had done anything wrong.

5 minutes later 3 stewards appeared , singled me out and asked me to come with them. The second half was about to start and i genuinly had no idea why they had come for me.

I was led downstairs to the cell area where the police informed me i had been seen drinking in the stadium. They took all my personal details and confiscated my season ticket. I was then ejected from the ground.

I was not abusive,did not swear, and co operated despite the fact i was seething inside.

I was not drunk either.

Does anybody out there have any experience of this. Will i get my ticket back. I am absolutely distraught at the moment.The thought of a ban is very upsetting.

Ive seen people do a lot worse things at football and i cant think for the life of me why i was pulled and nobody else.The guy who had the flask was fine.

If there are any stewards or people linked to the club reading this can you please tell me what my options are. Missing the second half yesyerday was bad enough

Advice please.

We scored twice to win 2-0 ;)

As others said, didn't take anything in, sip of offered drink, not aware of any rule breaking.

Discretion comes to mind!

Story doesn't make sense. Any steward watching either live or on CCTV would have seen the flask passed around and returned to owner.

Owner of flask primary target for removal from seating, search by police, and ejection and any further club or legal consequences. Others involved, OP included secondary priority for removal if resources permit.

Demand proof - ie CCTV evidence, and say you thought is was a flask of tea.

General Comment: What the **** is this country coming to when you can't have a drink and watch football?

Harsh. And as stated if they have no flask they have no evidence. Also have they got any witnesses ie any of the persons around you - which I doubt. Therefore the only evidence as things stand is THIS POST. There is no way the CCTV can tell what you're drinking. Deny it all and get this post wiped.

Well you are technically in breach of ground regulations - but there again so is everyone in the Northam who stands all game and I don't see them being ejected from the stadium. To my way of thinking the club have behaved in a 'heavy handed' manner to put it mildly - this may be a case of a bored/overzealous CCTV operator trying to justify their employment.

You'd like to think that someone in authority at the club would employ a bit of common sense and return your ST with a note advising you to not repeat this incident. In modern Britain I can say I'm entirely confident that will happen.

Please keep us informed of developments.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I fail to see how the club could even consider withholding your ST without any physical evidence. Even just CCTV footage of you sipping from a hip flask isn't conclusive. If they didn't even confiscate the flask then they cannot prove there was alcohol in it. You could just claim it was Ribena and they can't prove otherwise. If you argue your point on these grounds then I think you will be fine. If they still ban you despite that then there is something seriously wrong with the world.

I fail to see how the club could even consider withholding your ST without any physical evidence. Even just CCTV footage of you sipping from a hip flask isn't conclusive. If they didn't even confiscate the flask then they cannot prove there was alcohol in it. You could just claim it was Ribena and they can't prove otherwise. If you argue your point on these grounds then I think you will be fine. If they still ban you despite that then there is something seriously wrong with the world.

OP has given them all the evidence they need by exposing his story on a public forum known to be read by the club, yesterday he had a chance, now... well not so much. Sometimes you need to think before you post. Probably now best off trying to cut a deal

by naming the owner or at least the seat number of said flask... Perry Mason like.

Edited by Window Cleaner

On Tuesday night at the Bristol City game, I was sat (before kick-off) in the Chapel end when a steward approached a guy along the row from me, he had a pint in his hand and was innocently drinking it whilst minding his own business (his mate was drinking coffee) !

He was politely told that alcohol was prohibited in this part of the stadium and he left his seat and went back downstairs. Five minutes later he returned and all was well !

For me, that was sensibly handled but it seems that there is not a 'unified approach' !

Good luck to you, I trust that you will get a slap on the wrist and that will be the end of it !

On Tuesday night at the Bristol City game, I was sat (before kick-off) in the Chapel end when a steward approached a guy along the row from me, he had a pint in his hand and was innocently drinking it whilst minding his own business (his mate was drinking coffee) !

He was politely told that alcohol was prohibited in this part of the stadium and he left his seat and went back downstairs. Five minutes later he returned and all was well !

For me, that was sensibly handled but it seems that there is not a 'unified approach' !

Good luck to you, I trust that you will get a slap on the wrist and that will be the end of it !

Perhaps but it's not the same offence really although the OP seems to be the victim of someone else's actions. Drinking a pint purchased in the stadium isn't likely to be considered in the same way as actually introducing alcohol into SMS. I've no idea what the legal situation is with introducing your own hooch into a football stadium but I'm pretty sure it's not the same as consuming a beer you bought in the concourse. As I say, they now have the OP by the curlies and he may well be best off indicating the perpetrator of the "crime" to them.

Ok, i am well aware this is a public forum and i am well aware the club may read this thread,and that is the point. I am not trying to hide anything because i dont actually think i have done anything wrong.

i am not some naughty schoolboy trying to have a crafty smoke behind the bike sheds. I had a sip from a flask that wasnt mine which could of been milk or methadone. i could of gone downstairs 20 yards and power drunk 5 pints of lager and that would have been fine. I did not try to hide anything. CCTV will prove that everything i have said is true.

I missed our win yesterday which was upsetting, i dont want to miss any more football.

Perhaps the club should have me shot.

Ok, i am well aware this is a public forum and i am well aware the club may read this thread,and that is the point. I am not trying to hide anything because i dont actually think i have done anything wrong.

i am not some naughty schoolboy trying to have a crafty smoke behind the bike sheds. I had a sip from a flask that wasnt mine which could of been milk or methadone. i could of gone downstairs 20 yards and power drunk 5 pints of lager and that would have been fine. I did not try to hide anything. CCTV will prove that everything i have said is true.

I missed our win yesterday which was upsetting, i dont want to miss any more football.

Perhaps the club should have me shot.

You might have done nothing that you consider wrong but the owner of the flask has committed a crime, you want your ticket back, name and shame, that's my advice to you.

National Legislation

The Government has introduced a series of legislative measures to combat hooliganism. The following

types of behaviour have been made a criminal offence:

 Entering a stadium when drunk or in possession of alcohol

 Possession of a firework, flare or other pyrotechnical device

 Possession of alcohol on trains and/or coaches when travelling to a football match

 Throwing any object at or towards the pitch or spectator areas

 Entering the pitch without lawful excuse

 Indecent or racist chanting

 Ticket touting

Mark Long is your man, id imagine you'll get a call from him early next week giving you a patronising boll+cking like a headmaster talking to a naughty child banging on about breaking ground regulations and harming the name if the club if past experience when a couple of mates who were in your situation is anything to go by.

Unfortunately as the police have ejected you and confiscated your season ticket I'm guessing you admitted you did drink alcohol so I'd just be very polite, say you're very sorry, didn't know what you were doing was wrong etc and hope they use a bit of common sense and realise the little hitler stewards and old bill have been over zealous as usual.

FWIW a mate of mine did something far worse at an away game and got thrown out at half time and he got a couple of game ban from home games but that was it so I can't imagine they'll take your season ticket off you permanently. Do feel for you though mate, idiotic policing and stewarding as usual and treating decent people at football matches with contempt.

How times change. Back at The Dell the old guys who sat in front of me when I was a kid would without fail get the hip flasks out at half time and have a healthy nip of whisky.

Good luck to you mirrorcarp, hope it all works out well, especially given you didn't actually bring the bloody flask in to the ground in the first place.

Hours before this happened my friends and i were planning flights, accomadation etc for newcastle away. A trip that would cost each of us probably £2-300 to go and support the team.

I walked out of the ground thinking to myself why do i bother. I dont blame the club, we all know who is responsible for the way we are viewed and treated at football.

Couldnt bring myself to watch MOTD last night to see the goals i missed.

Look,it is what it is and i will let you all know how it ends up. Thanks for the support though chaps.,

Hours before this happened my friends and i were planning flights, accomadation etc for newcastle away. A trip that would cost each of us probably £2-300 to go and support the team.

I walked out of the ground thinking to myself why do i bother. I dont blame the club, we all know who is responsible for the way we are viewed and treated at football.

Look,it is what it is and i will let you all know how it ends up. Thanks for the support though chaps.,

As the police said its in the hands of the club should the worst happen then the ban will come from the club so will only apply to SMS, you will still be able to go to away games as they can't ban you from other clubs grounds. So carry on with your Newcastle plans.

Follow the advice of the bloke who suggested contacting the Football Supporters Federation. They'll give you free legal advice and help with representation in court, if necessary.

Amanda.Jacks@fsf.org.uk

Whilst I don't agree with the heavy handed way this has been handled, technically the steward/club/OB weren't wrong. The Sporting Events Act is quite clear on alcohol in grounds. In this instance Section 2a applies. By taking the hip flask from your mate you have assumed possession of it. Also when you purchase a ticket you enter into a contract with the club agreeing to abide by their rules.

Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985

2 Offences in connection with alcohol, containers etc. at sports grounds.

(1)A person who has intoxicating liquor or an article to which this section applies in his possession—

(a) at any time during the period of a designated sporting event when he is in any area of a designated sports ground from which the event may be directly viewed, or

(b) while entering or trying to enter a designated sports ground at any time during the period of a designated sporting event at that ground,

is guilty of an offence.

You might have done nothing that you consider wrong but the owner of the flask has committed a crime, you want your ticket back, name and shame, that's my advice to you.

National Legislation

The Government has introduced a series of legislative measures to combat hooliganism. The following

types of behaviour have been made a criminal offence:

 Entering a stadium when drunk or in possession of alcohol

 Possession of a firework, flare or other pyrotechnical device

 Possession of alcohol on trains and/or coaches when travelling to a football match

 Throwing any object at or towards the pitch or spectator areas

 Entering the pitch without lawful excuse

 Indecent or racist chanting

 Ticket touting

I knew all that except the bit about trains. Does that mean I would be breaking the law if I had a beer on the train to Waterloo and then went to watch Saints at Spurs, but would be OK to down five pints in the Hole in the Wall? As long as I wasn't completely drunk, where's the logic in that?

I think football fans are still being treated like we are in the dark ages. Good article in today's Observer re the return to having safe standing areas. But the powers to be, luddites that they are, still mistakenly believe standing led to the Hillsborough disaster and refuse to even debate it when the majority of premiership clubs welcome the debate. If having a sip out of a flask is a crime worthy of having a ST confiscated then the world is truly bonkers. I hope those with authority at SMS use their common sense, mirrorcarp, a good fan who makes a small mistake over a ridiculous law should not be penalised or treated like a thug. Good Luck

I would imagine that any formal action should have seen you get a written description of the "charge" and certainly a receipt of any property taken from you. No doubt that in the Club rules there are exemptions written in but as the police were involved they certainly,in my opinion, should oversee the legal side of the action taken, if all this makes sense.

As the police said its in the hands of the club should the worst happen then the ban will come from the club so will only apply to SMS, you will still be able to go to away games as they can't ban you from other clubs grounds. So carry on with your Newcastle plans.

Think that might not be so easy as the Ticket Office will no doubt press the least helpful easy option button on the system.

Amazing really with all this CCTV they have spotted a cheeky swig nailed the user and not the supplier (someone else probably grassed on that report naughtiness text number) yet a few years ago that Man Utd supporter lights a flare waves it about then throws it on the pitch in full view of national TV and a lot of coppers but 6 months later the Old Bill were asking folks to identify the flare owner!!

At half time yesterday i was stood by my seat with my back to the pitch talking to some people in the row behind me. One of the guys produced a hip flask, i did not even know what was in it.

.Several people had a sip and he offered it to me. I took 2 sips and gave it back to him. I never gave it a seconds thought,i did not try to hide it and wasnt even aware that i had done anything wrong.

I was not drunk either.

Advice please.

Do you look a bit like Matt Le Tiss? If so you should be alright - just a case of mistaken identity

I was not drunk either.

Advice please.

Wrongly or rightly you have been ejected because you were caught drinking in a no drinking area.

What are you doing drinking an unknown substance from a flask given to you by a stranger?

The club will probably make an example of you and you will be banned but saying all that I have seen people sat near me trying to sneak drink back to their seats and they just have it confiscated,nothing more said so I'm guessing there is more to your story,perhaps they have been watching you more than you think or it is a bigger problem in your area that they are clamping down on.

Good luck with getting your season ticket back but I would prepare for the worst.

National Legislation

I knew all that except the bit about trains. Does that mean I would be breaking the law if I had a beer on the train to Waterloo and then went to watch Saints at Spurs, but would be OK to down five pints in the Hole in the Wall? As long as I wasn't completely drunk, where's the logic in that?

I wasn't aware of that either, I will bear that in mind when enjoying a beer on the train to the footy, deny all knowledge that you are going to a game!

Good luck to Mirrorcarp, im sure it will be ok.

Do you look a bit like Matt Le Tiss? If so you should be alright - just a case of mistaken identity

Splendid.

As the others have said, call the club and tell them it wasn't alcohol. They might not believe you but gives you a better position to argue from and they cannot prove otherwise. Sounds like you were the victim of some sad jobsworth steward, hopefully he will pick on the wrong person next time and get a good kicking.

I regularly sneak my beer up from half-time - I will make sure I am careful not to get spotted in the future.

As the others have said, call the club and tell them it wasn't alcohol. They might not believe you but gives you a better position to argue from and they cannot prove otherwise. Sounds like you were the victim of some sad jobsworth steward, hopefully he will pick on the wrong person next time and get a good kicking.

I regularly sneak my beer up from half-time - I will make sure I am careful not to get spotted in the future.

that is the attitude.

someone doing their job, harming no one deserves to be battered

Wish we could have ejected the guy who just stayed sat down eating his jumbo packet of crisps as Osvaldo ran towards the Chapel to celebrate his first goal for the saints. Far more shame brought on the club from that being on MOTD than having a swig of malt.

Wish we could have ejected the guy who just stayed sat down eating his jumbo packet of crisps as Osvaldo ran towards the Chapel to celebrate his first goal for the saints. Far more shame brought on the club from that being on MOTD than having a swig of malt.

maybe he was a palace fan?

So what offense has been committed, is it drinking from a hip flask compared to a tea flask, as the club or stewards have no proof of what was contained in it.

Would you be guilty if you were to bring a whisky bottle containing nothing more than water in it, and to be seen on camera drinking from said bottle? You would not be drinking alcohol and your only crime would be possessing and drinking water from a bottle with a whisky label ?? As they have no proof it was alcohol they should hand your ticket back in my opinion. If you get where I am coming from.

I had my season ticket confiscated for something else and was told to go down to the stadium and collect it - after making a tit of myself asking at the ticket office, I was directed to reception where a bloke came out and said I wouldn't be getting it back as I'd been 'drinking in the bowl' which is strictly forbidden. They were actually getting me mixed up with someone else. When i explained that I was the 'other' person who had been ejected that game, they said they'd give me a phone call the next day - they didn't. I went down there again 2 days later and they gave it back to me along with a lecture/telling off.

So what offense has been committed, is it drinking from a hip flask compared to a tea flask, as the club or stewards have no proof of what was contained in it.

Would you be guilty if you were to bring a whisky bottle containing nothing more than water in it, and to be seen on camera drinking from said bottle? You would not be drinking alcohol and your only crime would be possessing and drinking water from a bottle with a whisky label ?? As they have no proof it was alcohol they should hand your ticket back in my opinion. If you get where I am coming from.

In the latter case the crime would be introducing a glass bottle I think.

I don't doubt that there's far more to this case than the OP has exposed though Perhaps someone ratted him out. People do strange things at football if they see someone doing something they disagree with.