Sunderland (A) build up

SO16_Saint

Both teams come in to this game off the back of good, confidence building wins.

Saints have not played well against Sunderland in any of the last 3 or 4 games, home or away - cup or league. They seem to be our bogey team currently.

I would like to go for an away win, but would happily take a point right now.

Heart - 2-1 win

Head 1-1 draw

COYR

A couple of months ago, this would have been an away banker, and we really should've got more than a point against them at home. Now Sunderland are a different proposition, and they had an important win against Fulham away today. I can see this being tough, but as long as we start strongly, with a team similar to todays, we can win it.

A home win for Sunderland wouldn't be a shock - if I were going to bet on it, I'd go draw.

In a funny sort of way, might not be such a bad time to play them. Their fans will be expectant of another win after thumping Fulham and they're starting to show some improvement but they're around the bottom for a reason ultimately. Looking forward to this one (the early train journey not so much) and see no reason why we can't win up there.

will be very tough

1-1 for me

This is one of the games we will play in the next few months where the opposition will want/need to win more than we will. If they have anything about them they should make it hard for us.

MP's biggest challenge for the rest of the season is fighting against complacency.

Luckily we're miles better than Sunderland and the pressure is all on them so 1-1 sounds about right.

Edited by CB Fry

Newcastle, with a City win today, will only be three ahead, and they are more than capable of going on a barren run like us.

Eighth is still on!

shows how far ahead the top 7 are this season really.

newcastle have been all the talk (like us a few months ago) and we have been on a poor run of results.

we are only 3 points behind them as it stands.

the fight for 8th is going to be epic

To be honest, I can't see Sunlan scoring more than one goal in this game against a rearguard of Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Loven & Shaw. I just can't see it.

They thumped a very poor Fulham side yesterday (who are going down - without question), and although that was a great result, they will find us much more of a threat than Fulham. Anyone remember how poor they (Fulham) were at SMS?

Providing our attacking threat is there for the 90 minutes, the back four & Boruc should be more than capable of making things hard for the home side.

Added to that ; Sunlan go to Old Trafford on the following Wednesday for the return leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final with a slender lead, and may - just may - have one eye on that.

2-1 away win for Saints therefore.

In a funny sort of way, might not be such a bad time to play them. Their fans will be expectant of another win after thumping Fulham and they're starting to show some improvement but they're around the bottom for a reason ultimately. Looking forward to this one (the early train journey not so much) and see no reason why we can't win up there.

Inclined to agree with you, that the expectation of their fans and timing may suit us , providing we don't concede in the first ten minutes and fall apart of course. They probably will have the semi-final in the back of their minds as well.

I'd settle for a point, but we should be capable of all three. Nothing against Sunderland as a club, but it'll be good to beat any team managed by Gus the Dirty Dago cheat, so perhaps it'll be c'mon Dagenham & Lambert next Saturday.

I'd take a point. I'm a bit worried we might get stuck in 9th for the rest of the season, hopefully we can get a cup run going to keep things interesting

Yes, that will keep it interesting. The debate of 8th, 9th or 10th is a pretty meaningless one. Once we get to 40 points, if we are out of the cup then at that stage, its virtually preparing for next season already, unless we get back in contention for the Europa League, which at the moment seems unlikely and no one really wants anyway.

Massive game for Sunderland at home back to back wins will most likely take them out of the bottom 3, but also for us a win could take us 10 points clear of 11th and that gap allows us to if we need it, to focus on the FA Cup should beat Yeovil and get to the serious stages of the comp.

Would love for us to be 9th or 8th and in the draw for the 5th round of the FA Cup, would show great progress we have made under MoPo.

We should win this game. Sunderland home form is terrible with only 7 points!

We do have a habit of drawing or losing against Sunderland though. One of my best mates is a Sunderland fan and I have not had much of a chance to gloat!

Fingers crossed 3 points, the earlier we get to safety the more we can fully concentrate on the Cup and blooding in more youth.

If we can minimise any injuries in our first teamers for cup games then we've a fair chance of going a long way.

Silverware is what it's all about, that trophy cabinet is looking pretty bare.

I think people are reading too much into the win at Fulham. Fulham created chances but didn't put them away, Johnson's hat trick, (free kick, penalty and he wouldn't out pace Shaw like he did Riise. Our defence is far superior to Fulham's as we saw in our Fulham game. I think it will be a tight game and provided we keep it tight with our defensive six we will make chances and could win it.

Premier League ‏@premierleague 18m

Chris Foy has been appointed referee for Sunderland v Southampton on Saturday 18 January #SUNSOU

One of the better refs... I think he did our 1:1 at Stoke and 2:3 home to Spurs. I don't remember any real clangers. Others probably will...

A good win for Sunderland as Poyet continues to knit a silk purse at the Stadium of Light. This will not be easy for us especially as they are a bunch of old fashioned fighters and we can't seem to be able to score goals. It could be a dire 0-0 affair but there is always the chance of a freak or careless goal in there somewhere in this type of match.

I'll go for a 0-0 but fear a 1-0.

I'd take a point. I'm a bit worried we might get stuck in 9th for the rest of the season, hopefully we can get a cup run going to keep things interesting

We are where we are because we haven't beaten the teams above, except only one. And we also find it difficult to beat teams below sometimes. As somebody has said they will now be fighting for their lives and have had time, like Sunderland, to improve. It is very important that the team sees that 8th place is a real possibility if we win. Then we must have a plan for catching up the next twelve point to get in the mix again. We can do it, but not if we are content with a midtable position. Nothing stays the same. We either go up, or we cede places.

Saints have gotta have belief and ambition again! On Saturday we did not play with much confidence in the first half. West Brom wanted the ball more than we did. This must not happen at Sunderland. A complacent Saints will be disaster. A fighting Saints will set us on the upward road again. Beautiful football is useless if we don't dominate the Sunderland box. We have to come out of the traps fast and graft for the win.

Then 2-1 Saints!