Our match of the season is next Saturday

Fitzhugh Fella

We are safe, although it was frustrating to drop two points today it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Our season will be gauged a success or a anti-climax on next Saturday's result.

If we lose and finish 8th or 9th, history will judge this season as just being ordinary, despite the truly great football we have played.

That is why we need to grab the FA Cup by the collar starting at the Stadium of Light next Saturday lunchtime. We are watching one of the best ever Saints teams at present but it means nothing if all we end up with is a top 10 finish.

I think the players are up for the cup, the English ones anyway. I'm not too sure how much importance MP gives it. He delegates to his assistant, of course, at least some of his duties on cup match days and he said this week he doesn't rate the Europa League. I desperately want us to win it, beating Everton in the semi finals.

An "ordinary" season? F*ck off. We've made plenty of progress on last season.

Agreed but I am talking about the mark or imprint we have made outside Southampton. We are a revelation this season in terms of developing young English players etc etc but it would be great if we ended up with something tangible to show for it. IE THE FA CUP!!!

Agreed but I am talking about the mark or imprint we have made outside Southampton. We are a revelation this season in terms of developing young English players etc etc but it would be great if we ended up with something tangible to show for it. IE THE FA CUP!!!

we wont win the cup. not with the teams left in it

Ignoring the importance of the match in terms of where it may lead us, I would just like for us to at least beat Sunderland once this season. To play a poor team like them 4 times in a season and not beat them once would be hugely frustrating.

that is true.

but their form since Poyet came in has been very impressive

If a genie had popped out of a lamp 3 years ago and told me that we'd finish in an "ordinary" 9th position in the premier league in 3 years time I'd have been elated.

So, 'just' finishing 9th would be splendid, but I'd quite like to win the cup too...

We are safe, although it was frustrating to drop two points today it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If we lose and finish 8th or 9th, history will judge this season as just being ordinary, despite the truly great football we have played.

That is why we need to grab the FA Cup by the collar starting at the Stadium of Light next Saturday lunchtime. We are watching one of the best ever Saints teams at present but it means nothing if all we end up with is a top 10 finish.

Don't really give a f**k about history if we're playing decent football and winning games. I'll always remember this as the brightest and most promising young Saints team I've ever seen. 10 years ago much worse teams than this one (e.g. Charlton) were battling for a Champions League place. It's only because the standard of the top 8 is so high that we aren't in contention for Europe.

I'd rather watch this than watch West Ham or Stoke making the cup final. I don't get people saying they'd happily finish 17th if it means winning the cup. To finish 17th you have to be sh*te in A LOT of games. We were 30 minutes away from finishing 17th in 2005. I wouldn't watch another year of that sh*t for a day out at Wembley.

Well it's getting me out of my scratcher early to head up to the NE which is no mean feat in itself.

Hopefully he have a full team out and go for it.

I thought my dad was the only person on the planet who referred to a bed as a "scratcher" :) How long have you been on-line Dad?

Well it's getting me out of my scratcher early to head up to the NE which is no mean feat in itself.

Hopefully he have a full team out and go for it.

Snap. Have decided to take Friday off and drive up then. Will stay in some cheap hotel. There's bound to be one somewhere near-ish the ground. Never been to the SOL.

Perhaps he was "friends" with a sailor. I think it maybe a discussion you two need to have. Good luck but don't be too hard on him.

Ha ha :) - Yes, maybe I won't raise the subject. I would be interested to know its origins, but that would truly derail this thread in a way that Glasgow and Barrie Sanchez would be proud of.

Snap. Have decided to take Friday off and drive up then. Will stay in some cheap hotel. There's bound to be one somewhere near-ish the ground. Never been to the SOL.

Last season we flew up and flew back the next morning. We don't even have that option this time. We'd have to fly up on Friday and back on Sunday which is not a viable option. Basically I'm screwed because I cannot face getting up early enough to drive :)

Find somewhere to stay in Newcastle, then at least you can get out to some decent pubs on Friday night. The Metro will take you to the ground and back.

Best finish for 11 (?) Years maybe 30 years.

Three players breaking into England squad.

Reading on redcafe forum numerous man u fans saying a saints player is their favourite England player over any of theirs.

Our start, particularly the defence. - Lovren..possibly best CB we have had for decades.

Press drooling over our style - Neville's comments.

Liverpool away.

Hull, Fulham and Arsenal home games.

Excitement of going to see Sam Gallagher against Arsenal (know you weren't ) then his performance.

Osvaldo - goal against Man City then his bust up.

Cortesse leaving.

Having the most talked about young manager in the country.

Sure there's more!!

Where were we three years ago?

How often has a team in their second season had a less ordinary season?

This season is not an anti climax for me. Its been great - pretty confident most ordinary supporters , and those at other clubs will agree.

Everton still come to us, plus have spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle away coming up, their last 6 include arsenal, man city, us, man u - not impossible that we won't have them in sight.

Spurs, 8 points ahead, next two everton and Newcastle, then busy with Europe, then run of four games -chelsea, us, arsenal, liverpool.

Man u - sit 4 points ahead coming here last games of the season.

Newcastle close, hard games left, still to come to us.

I know teams may soon be out of reach, and 8 th maybe as good as we can finish but lose Saturday and I would still say season is not over, nor are chances of Europe.

It won't mean this season has meant nothing to me if we go out at weekend, and honestly feel its a shame it would for you!

Think we are about same age..so wouldn't have thought any saints fan of our age could be a glory hunter ;)

having a day out at wembley is now some sort of trophy

no one remembers semi finalists

Maybe not, but I'd love another trip to watch Saints at Wembley. Not because I think it particularly means anything on the pitch, but because the whole day surrounding the JPT final was amazing, such a good time.

having a day out at wembley is now some sort of trophy

no one remembers semi finalists

But everyone rememnbers the teams that finish ninth through the ages. Trip off the tongue they do.

If we get to a Wembley semi, I reckon I'd remember it. Don't understand why you wouldn't.

Every game is a big game. End of the day, we might win then draw City away. The Sunderland game in itself decides nothing.

Plus, season won't fizzle out because players have the WC to play for, and because the boardroom stuff will rumble on.

Enjoy watching the team because as the OP says its one of our best and most likely will be weaker next season.

Nick G wrote It won't mean this season has meant nothing to me if we go out at weekend, and honestly feel its a shame it would for you!

Think we are about same age..so wouldn't have thought any saints fan of our age could be a glory hunter ;)

I am very proud of what we have achieved this season, in the league, but I feel it isn't going to get much better now and it is time to turn our attentions to the Cup. We are good enough on the day to win the bloody thing so let's turn our form into winning something tangible rather than just harbouring rosy memories and good feeling.

We have won one senior trophy in 129 years, it's time to make that two

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Best finish for 11 (?) Years maybe 30 years.

Three players breaking into England squad.

Reading on redcafe forum numerous man u fans saying a saints player is their favourite England player over any of theirs.

Our start, particularly the defence. - Lovren..possibly best CB we have had for decades.

Press drooling over our style - Neville's comments.

Liverpool away.

Hull, Fulham and Arsenal home games.

Excitement of going to see Sam Gallagher against Arsenal (know you weren't ) then his performance.

Osvaldo - goal against Man City then his bust up.

Cortesse leaving.

Having the most talked about young manager in the country.

Sure there's more!!

Where were we three years ago?

How often has a team in their second season had a less ordinary season?

This season is not an anti climax for me. Its been great - pretty confident most ordinary supporters , and those at other clubs will agree.

Everton still come to us, plus have spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle away coming up, their last 6 include arsenal, man city, us, man u - not impossible that we won't have them in sight.

Spurs, 8 points ahead, next two everton and Newcastle, then busy with Europe, then run of four games -chelsea, us, arsenal, liverpool.

Man u - sit 4 points ahead coming here last games of the season.

Newcastle close, hard games left, still to come to us.

I know teams may soon be out of reach, and 8 th maybe as good as we can finish but lose Saturday and I would still say season is not over, nor are chances of Europe.

It won't mean this season has meant nothing to me if we go out at weekend, and honestly feel its a shame it would for you!

Wanted to post something like this l thanks for saving me the trouble

The OP is (as is usual for him) perfectly right.

To finish this season where we are now would be a real achievement of sorts, but in a few years time no one will remember (or care very much) who finished 6/7/8th in the league. A FA Cup final appearance on the other hand is another matter all together. As for those spineless types opining that we have "no chance" of getting to Wembley anyway, well the 'old school' underdog triumphs of my 1970's youth do seem to be becoming much rarer events in the modern game I'm sorry to say, but that mundane fact seems to me a poor reason for us to abandon all hope already. Sunderland away in the Cup is, at this time, easily the most significant fixture remaining in our season.

After all if a football pitch can no longer be a 'field of dreams' anymore then I say the game has lost something precious and wonderful that perhaps only those old enough to remember that one perfect moment in Bobby Stokes life can truly understand.

we wont win the cup. not with the teams left in it

Currently there are 10 Premiership clubs in this round and 6 lower division sides will remain.

After that round is played, there will be 6 Premiership clubs and 2 lower division teams.

The top four clubs remaining are Man City, Chelsea who play each other and Arsenal and Liverpool, who also play each other. So two of them will be out. Everton playing Swansea will take another PL club out. If we beat Sunderland, we will be the 4th seed effectively. There is the possibility that the victors of the matches between those top teams might be drawn to play each other and that we avoid the victor between Everton and Swansea. Would we fear any of the other clubs? Being the FA Cup though, it is feasible that any team left can beat any other team.

The only team that I would greet with some trepidation at the moment is Chelsea.