Positive coments from Hull

spyinthesky

Steve Bruce after the game: ""Southampton are an excellent side. We had to be at our best and we weren't. We went too long and direct to our strikers too often. We have to be honest - the better team won."

I normally dislike Bruce after he claimed sides like Southampton are punching why cant Hull comment, when were a bigger club and have better facilities in place, however great touch by him to admit that.

I normally dislike Bruce after he claimed sides like Southampton are punching why cant Hull comment, when were a bigger club and have better facilities in place, however great touch by him to admit that.

He is right though.

If we can so can they. Just need money and lots of it

He is right though.

If we can so can they. Just need money and lots of it

But there not in the postion we are, with great training facilities youth academy and a chairman that drove the club forward with a great team to build on, they have a rich owner just not any of these also a slightly smaller fan base, they have money they spent quite a bit this season.

But there not in the postion we are, with great training facilities youth academy and a chairman that drove the club forward with a great team to build on, they have a rich owner just not any of these also a slightly smaller fan base, they have money they spent quite a bit this season.

Dunno, their chairman is doing pretty well for a first year up results wise, without the squad we had

Southampton are a brilliant team, and I've thought this all Season. They're a couple of World Class players away from establishing themselves as European contenders every Season. They're pass and move game is a joy to watch, and we were ran and passed off the pitch. Those morons texting into BBC Radio Humberside after the game saying, "We were diabolical", "Embarrassing performance" etc etc. need a high five in the face with a chair.

Is it really that hard to admit that a team came to the KC, closed us down fast, in groups and choked our midfield making us pass poorly and resulting in us playing hopeful hoof-ball for 90 minutes? They had a game plan, and they executed it. We couldn't play, and as much as we wanted to get it on the ground and play as we usually do, we couldn't as every time we tried, we were closed down and lost the ball.

I thought the substitutions should have come earlier, but I don't really have any complaints. Jelavic did well IMO, considering the lack of service all match. The thing I like about the S'oton team is that they're using a lot of young English players, and they really look like the real deal. Brilliant team and, let's not forget, they're a year and £40 odd million ahead of us...

Onwards and upwards. COPIED FROM HULL FORUM ON NOT 606

Hull showed tonight why there are so few English club managers - most play a variant of long ball that won't get you very far for very long.

Hull were worse tonight than the reverse fixture at SMS where they played pretty well in the 2nd half.

But hull don't normally play long ball. We made them.

They've done very well, but not sure signing Jelavic and going back to 2 up top is sensible.

Thought with 1 up front they'd been looking half decent. Long long way behind saints and others though. They're not far from the west ham sort of level though, and at a lot less expense and playing better football (usually)

Agree. Expected more from them -on a good day, they use pace and width to good effect, though the style is still distinctly 'English'. As you say, I think their new signings have 'boxed' them in -not just Jelavic but also Long who really is little more than a huffer and puffer. With 4-4-2 the temptation is always to get the ball up earlier.

Well despite a few chumps here it's refreshing to hear such honest appraisal of a result.

Much better than the usual "that's the worst we've played for 5 years" you get from the top teams when we've beaten them.

I like Bruce and I like Hull. Hope they get the points necessary for another crack at the Prem.

James, Hull, 5 hours ago

Best team to come to the KC in years, technically brilliant and each individual works 100% all game. Weak link would be boruc, a better keeper would make a very good team even better. Can't complain losing to a team like that, simply got more quality so fair play saints

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2557080/Hull-0-1-Southampton-match-report-Jose-Fonte-strike-seals-scrappy-win-Saints.html

Definitely true.

After all, you only have to look at Blackburn. And Wigan. And Reading. And Fulham. And Portsmouth. And .........

I'm sure if hull put in the same amount of cash into their academy/training ground in the next 5 years as we have in the last 5 years, they might start to unearth a few northern gems

It's nice to hear a manager be honest and positive about the opposition, rather than the 'look how ****e we were' rather than 'look how good saints were' world of the big boys.

Everyone likes to see us play at the moment.

You should read the match thread. Not everyone.

Some bloke on their forum reckons our team last night cost 20m more than theirs, he has got to be joking.

Someone put up ours cost 12.5 mil, surely they have spent double that to put their team on the field last night.

http://www.hullcityindependent.net/?...s&news_id=1461

Morgan £1m

Lambert £1.25m

Fonte £1.25m

Davis £800k

jayrod £7.5m

Victor £12m

Yoshi ~ £3m

Do our fans really think our team costs £12.5m and go spouting that arrogant rubbish on other forums? Last nights team is over double that, circa £27m, ignoring free transfers for cork and boruc and development costs of the kids. We have 3 other transfers that add at least £32m to that as well.

Morgan £1m

Lambert £1.25m

Fonte £1.25m

Davis £800k

jayrod £7.5m

Victor £12m

Yoshi ~ £3m

Do our fans really think our team costs £12.5m and go spouting that arrogant rubbish on other forums? Last nights team is over double that, circa £27m, ignoring free transfers for cork and boruc and development costs of the kids. We have 3 other transfers that add at least £32m to that as well.

People are talking about the starting line up. That's all.

Morgan £1m

Lambert £1.25m

Fonte £1.25m

Davis £800k

jayrod £7.5m

Victor £12m

Yoshi ~ £3m

Our starting team last night cost circa £12.5m

Fonte 1.2m

Yoshi 2m

Cork 750k

Morgan 1m

Davis 500k

Lambert 1m

JRod 6m

Our starting team last night cost circa £12.5m

Fonte 1.2m

Yoshi 2m

Cork 750k

Morgan 1m

Davis 500k

Lambert 1m

JRod 6m

Those figures are selectively low in many cases, although it was my understanding that cork was on a free transfer at the end of his contract? That is semantics anyway; the point made was our Team last night cost £12.5m.... Which is clearly wrong since wanyama alone is over that.

I wouldn't disagree that our starting 11 is under £15m on transfer fees alone. But lets not kid ourselves, we have spent very large sums on money in the past 2 seasons.

Those figures are selectively low in many cases, although it was my understanding that cork was on a free transfer at the end of his contract? That is semantics anyway; the point made was our Team last night cost £12.5m.... Which is clearly wrong since wanyama alone is over that.

I wouldn't disagree that our starting 11 is under £15m on transfer fees alone. But lets not kid ourselves, we have spent very large sums on money in the past 2 seasons.

Team = starting 11, jesus christ, you're wrong stop digging a hole.

Steve Bruce after the game: ""Southampton are an excellent side. We had to be at our best and we weren't. We went too long and direct to our strikers too often. We have to be honest - the better team won."

I have an extraordinary respect for Steve Bruce who is one of the most perceptive and honest managers in the premier league. Should the day come when we lose our beloved Mauricio, Steve Bruce would be a very good candidate to replace him.

Steve Bruce is that rare beast, a manager who calls it as he sees it.

Regardless of the praise he gave Saints, what impressed me about his post-match presser was his view on the corner that led to the goal.

The assistant clearly got it wrong, it should not have been a corner, but when the interviewer asked Bruce if that was valid, he said: "Perhaps it shouldn't but we would be clutching at straws."

His view was that while it might not have been a corner, Hull still needed to defend it better as if it was a properly awarded corner. There should be no difference to the way you defend a correctly awarded set piece to the way you defend an erroneously awarded one.

I'm sure we can all think of plenty of managers who would have been all over that as their excuse, blaming the officials, and saying how a bad decision cost them the game.

James, Hull, 5 hours ago

Best team to come to the KC in years, technically brilliant and each individual works 100% all game. Weak link would be boruc, a better keeper would make a very good team even better. Can't complain losing to a team like that, simply got more quality so fair play saints

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2557080/Hull-0-1-Southampton-match-report-Jose-Fonte-strike-seals-scrappy-win-Saints.html

agreed boric is probably past his best and probably only another season in the premiership so where does our future lie? In signing A young quality keeper? Gazzinga is simply not good enough and kelvin is too old

agreed boric is probably past his best and probably only another season in the premiership so where does our future lie? In signing A young quality keeper? Gazzinga is simply not good enough and kelvin is too old

Boruc can't win with aome people! FWIW I reckon we will sign someone like Alex Mccarthy from Reading to give him competition for next season.

Other thing to consider is that our starting line up had 7 British players in the starting line up and probably their combined weekly wages are about the same as the reported £250k pw being offered to Wayne Rooney

It's great to hear such positive feedback from other clubs. I just hope we don't become too arrogant (a la West Ham). We've come a long way in a short time.

With regards to Boruc, I think he is good for a few more years yet. He may be prone to an occasional howler, but generally he seems to inspire confidence in the defence and is a great shot-stopper. I really can't think of any goalkeeper that doesn't commit at least one or two howlers a season. There are a lot of goalkeepers out there who have gone through purple patches but I really can't think of many I would swap him for. It's certainly way down the list of priorities, although a backup keeper is fairly high up the list.

Although we don't have the strength in depth of the top 4, we seem to have at least one good quality replacement for each area (or we did until Osvaldo let us down).

I think a couple of top quality players added each summer will see us keep the improvement going - and also keep the team spirit intact and keep the enthusiasm in the Academy/Development squads as they can still see a path in to the first team.

Top of the list has to be an out and out goalscorer with the right work ethic, followed by a left sided defender