England call up FOUR Saints players

Saint-Armstrong

I'm sure WBA fans might be thinking why are England picking a 32 year old out of form Rickie Lambert when Saido Berahino is having a decent season and looks like a great prospect for the future. Of course, it's alll just comparing apples with pears from the mongboard good and great.

Beharinho isn't even playing much though is he? I like the look of him, but if he cant get in West Broms side, then why would he be going to Brazil?

Alright, he's only scored 4 premier league goals in his entire career, but Walcott went on less. He's prob more an orange than an apple or pear so I'm not sure it suits either argument.

the same could be said for most full backs that England like to use. Walker, Baines, Johnson, are all also nothing special defensively but okay going forward. I suspect this is more to do with the way the moern full back is used, many team use them as much for their attacking ability as defensive responsibility these days. Hence the reason why a player like the much maligned James Milner are used by England on the right to cover the full back attacking. You cant have 11 players all galloping forward at the same time.

Are we disagreeing? At least the others offer something as attackers. Smalling offers very little - and that is not just based on his appalling performance for MU the other night. There really are better options at right back that Smalling

On a lighter note some of the skates reaction to this news on twitter was quite amusing. Some of them appeared to be apoplectic with rage at the prospect of so many scummers in the England squad.

i remember when they used to have 4 england internationals, James, Johnson, Crouch & Defoe. It cost them £42m to sign their four Lions :lol:

Beharinho isn't even playing much though is he? I like the look of him, but if he cant get in West Broms side, then why would he be going to Brazil?

Started most of their games since Shane Long left, good record at U21 level and looks a really exciting player. 8 goals in 24 matches this season, I'd imagine he'll be featuring a lot more now Anelka is suspended. He looks a great prospect and as i say, WBA might well be asking why hes not being considered when he's the definitely one for future and an out of form 32 year old is.

Edited by Turkish

Are we disagreeing? At least the others offer something as attackers. Smalling offers very little - and that is not just based on his appalling performance for MU the other night. There really are better options at right back that Smalling

No, we're agreeing. Just saying he isn't the only full back like that, most of them are. to be blunt i dont actually rate any of the current right back options.

Plum- more a reference to you pal.

I can imagine it now - baggies mongboarders chaining themselves to Lancaster Gate at the injustice of Lambert's inclusion over Berahino :lol:

Never mind that he has four goals and one assist to his name in his entire career (compared to Lambert's 8 goals and 7 assists this season) or that he hasn't scored in two months - after all, we're meant to be picking players on 'form' as you specifically put it, not reputation or even potential.

To be clear, I think the lad has plenty of promise and there's a debate to be had whether he should get a call up in the future. But you're implying that there are clear cut alternatives, English strikers who are head and shoulders above Lambert in form. There aren't which makes Lambert's call up neither particularly contentious or hypocritical when the mongboarders lap it up on here.

Chin up pal. Keep bashing away at the keyboard with futile arguments - you might strike it lucky one day.

Edited by shurlock

I can imagine it now - baggies mongboarders chaining themselves to Lancaster Gate at the injustice of Lambert's inclusion over Berahino :lol:

Never mind that he has four goals and one assist to his name in his entire career (compared to Lambert's 8 goals and 7 assists this season) or that he hasn't scored in two months - after all, we're meant to be picking players on 'form' as you specifically put it, not reputation or even potential.

To be clear, I think the lad has plenty of promise and there's a debate to be had whether he should get a call up in the future. But you're implying that there are clear cut alternatives, English strikers who are head and shoulders above Lambert in form. There aren't which makes Lambert's call up neither particularly contentious or hypocritical when the mongboarders lap it up on here.

Chin up pal. Keep bashing away at the keyboard with futile arguments - you might strike it lucky one day.

Yeah that's exactly what i implied wasn't it pal. Think you need to stop making things up and read posts properly, afterall, that is what you play and not the poster isn't it pal. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure WBA fans might be thinking why are England picking a 32 year old out of form Rickie Lambert when Saido Berahino is having a decent season and looks like a great prospect for the future. Of course, it's alll just comparing apples with pears from the mongboard good and great.

if Berahino came from Ivory Coast he'd have a cap by now.

I don't understand people saying that JRod shouldn't be included - he's our top goal scorer and has been great this season, albeit with a couple of quiet games. With some confidence in him, he's just what England need.

As for SRL, I agree he's been on poor form recently, but he's shown what he can do before and I believe he'll do well as the deeper of a front two for England with Rooney in front. He need to pick it up in the last part of the season to stand a chance of going and actually be used though.

Personally see Lambert clearly ahead of Carroll.

Goals - Lambert's last three seasons 8, 15, 27. Carroll's 0, 7, 4.

Carroll is effective in the box, as is Lambert.

Lambert can play the Rooney link up role, better range of passing etc.

Penalty record - Lambert excellent, not sure if Carroll takes them but with only 11 goals in three years??

Character? Lambert widely praised for his popularity and positive attitude with the team - important for a world cup.

Carroll has a poor attitude and has been sent home from international duty.

Lambert currently in squad and scored twice, set up others.

Carroll not played for your while.

Carroll unreliable with injuries.

Personally, if both fit, not even close unless Carroll scores at hugely better role than has done for years and Lambert has poor end of season.

Not sure anyone with any sense could argue Berinho (career total 4 prem goals) over Lambert.

Most forums are biased towards their players!

Personally see Lambert clearly ahead of Carroll.

Goals - Lambert's last three seasons 8, 15, 27. Carroll's 0, 7, 4.

Carroll is effective in the box, as is Lambert.

Lambert can play the Rooney link up role, better range of passing etc.

Penalty record - Lambert excellent, not sure if Carroll takes them but with only 11 goals in three years??

Character? Lambert widely praised for his popularity and positive attitude with the team - important for a world cup.

Carroll has a poor attitude and has been sent home from international duty.

Lambert currently in squad and scored twice, set up others.

Carroll not played for your while.

Carroll unreliable with injuries.

Personally, if both fit, not even close unless Carroll scores at hugely better role than has done for years and Lambert has poor end of season.

Not sure anyone with any sense could argue Berinho (career total 4 prem goals) over Lambert.

Most forums are biased towards their players!

Not so sure about Carroll - still think Hodgson wants to take him and he won't have to do much to get the nod over Lambert. Don't think the lack of goals is necessarily an obstacle as Carroll has been a nuisance in those games. The lack of playing time is the problem - and Carroll so far has shot himself in the foot.

Because Rooney already drops deep and occupies the hole, I don't think England see Lambert as anything other than a target man who might offer something different -a more physical presence- should circumstances require. If judged simply on that criteria, Carroll is a better fit.

Agree the suggestion of Berehino over Lambert at this moment in time is ridiculous - a mong on a mongboard making himself silly. Who would have thunk it.

Edited by shurlock

Kyle Walker ruled out of England game. Could we see Nathaniel Clyne called up?

I for one hope so, despite Callum Chambers great form.

However, I bet you if anyone is chosen to replace Walker, it'll be Phil Jones :/

We as a forum have spent a lot of energy complaining about Man Utd reserves getting called up for England - I wonder how we would celebrate if a Southampton reserve gets in.

Clyne is good enough, though.

He is much better than Phil Jones in a right back position, no?

It's good that we have two really good right backs :)

Kyle Walker ruled out of England game. Could we see Nathaniel Clyne called up?

I for one hope so, despite Callum Chambers great form.

However, I bet you if anyone is chosen to replace Walker, it'll be Phil Jones :/

Not sure why people believe Clyne has a chance, he doesn't. He needs to be a regular for us first, which he isn't right now. He won't be selected.

Not sure why people believe Clyne has a chance, he doesn't. He needs to be a regular for us first, which he isn't right now. He won't be selected.

True, but Clyne has still made more appearances than Phil Jones in the league this season... Clyne and Jones both have 21 apps this season. Jones has appeared 13 times in the league compared to Clyne's 17.

Jones has had 5 european appearances tbf to him though...

I don't think Clyne will get in but he should be in with a chance....

I'm beginning to wonder whether Woy will pick anyone tbh now...

True, but Clyne has still made more appearances than Phil Jones in the league this season... Clyne and Jones both have 21 apps this season. Jones has appeared 13 times in the league compared to Clyne's 17.

Jones has had 5 european appearances tbf to him though...

I don't think Clyne will get in but he should be in with a chance....

I'm beginning to wonder whether Woy will pick anyone tbh now...

Phil Jones is injured just now, that's why he's not in the squad this time, when he isn't he will be an automatic choice because of his versatility, he's a big miss for both Utd and England just now.

This is a good thread. Turkish getting battered post after post and his only response is to give people more ammo to prove him wrong. Its something like mongboard 9-0 Turkish at present. Keep it coming guys! :lol:

This is a good thread. Turkish getting battered post after post and his only response is to give people more ammo to prove him wrong. Its something like mongboard 9-0 Turkish at present. Keep it coming guys! :lol:

I think his preferred analogy is boxing: at least, a fat and f**ked Ricky Hatton had the sense to call it a day and get help from Sporting Chance.

Battered where? Must be missing something.

Oh no sunshine, thats definitely how it is!! Called out don't make me laugh. Following me around, copying things I say, quoting me from other forums in compeltely unrelated threads to prove your invente point, now cecking your post history now to see what you've said about me. :lol::scared:

Still you keep "playing the post not the poster" :lol::lol::lol:

You can tell when Turks is getting angry when you see all the typos.

Yeah, taking Theo to Germany really helped him develop............

Can argue both sides, the experience will be really good for him.

But then we have to remember his age & whether for OUR needs he would be better served by having a proper summer rest and full pre-season with us.

(Note: See Gaston Ramirez for an example of how long it took him to catch up with the rest of the squad this season)

I think he'll take Cole and I don't have a problem with that. It seems Bains will be first choice so it's about going as an understudy. We're probably talking about group stage matches anyway. Cole is still a class left back and a good defensive one. England have lots of attacking options going forward. Shaw would do just fine if he went but he has a long and successful international career ahead of him and will be a fixture in the squad after the WC (and Baines shouldn't feel too secure either). There's always the possibility of form and fitness issues for Saints next season if Shaw does go. Would probably be the right decision on balance to take the experienced Cole to Brazil.

See that soccer Saturday are trying to undermine the Saints players from the England game, by saying that the Denmark team would be tired when they came on, so they would look good and that nothing was learnt by the game.

I think he'll take Cole and I don't have a problem with that. It seems Bains will be first choice so it's about going as an understudy. We're probably talking about group stage matches anyway. Cole is still a class left back and a good defensive one. England have lots of attacking options going forward. Shaw would do just fine if he went but he has a long and successful international career ahead of him and will be a fixture in the squad after the WC (and Baines shouldn't feel too secure either). There's always the possibility of form and fitness issues for Saints next season if Shaw does go. Would probably be the right decision on balance to take the experienced Cole to Brazil.

It all depends on whether you think we can have a decent shot at this one or if it might be better to prepare for the long term.