The 14/15 Goalkeeper HCDAJFU thread

Rasiak-9-

The analogy I've made in the past regarding Gazzaniga is that if you put your 7-year old son or daughter in charge of cooking the evening meal, you couldn't really blame anyone but yourself when the house burns down.

Likewise, its pretty pointless and unconstructive to blame a lad who bless him, just isn't good enough. It ain't like Gazzaniga is underachieving in some way or isn't trying; he's just not good enough and there is no point going any further than that.

Anyway.

We all know that we should have got this properly sorted in the summer rather than giving 37-year old Kelvin Davis a new contract out of blind loyalty, especially as he was our only back up (and aside from the fact that at his age he wouldn't always be fit, I don't think he's any good either). Instead, we went for the cheap option rather than spending the money on the necessary, but 'boring' signing of a solid keeper and unfortunately, it probably has cost us points this season.

Well never mind, I don't think it'd have made any difference to our league position anyway.

So! Lets make sure we don't make the same mistake twice.

It seems to me we have two options.

1) Stick with Boruc as our first-choice keeper and buy two solid, if unspectacular back-ups.

2) Spend some serious, serious money on a goalkeeper, relegate Boruc to 2nd choice and have either Kelvin in a player/coach role or Cody Cropper as third choice.

For option 1, Robinson, Lindegaard, Schmeichel and David Marshall are a few of the plausible names recommended by my non-Saints supporting friends.

If we went with option 2, I personally would like to go all out and splash the cash on Samir Handanovic. I know we haven't had great success with Serie A in the past but I think its reasonable to make an exception for a goalkeeper, and Handanovic is bloody fantastic. Whether or not £12-15m or so would be enough for us to prize him away from Inter I don't know, but obviously targets for option 2 are going to be more speculative. Ossie or Ramirez as a makeweight in that deal perhaps?

So! Ralph, Katerina, or whoever will be in charge of the transfer committee for next season, lets get thinking about it straight away!

Need to look at those at the teams who go down, the teams who narrowly miss out on coming up and those who are 2nd or 3rd choice at a big club.

The likelihood is that it'd be someone from abroad though. I'd like to think that a goalkeeper's skill set is much more transferable to any league than an outfield player's, so shouldn't necessarily matter where he comes from if he's decent.

Stekelenburg from Fulham is a thought, stepped up to Dutch No1 when Van der Saar retired, must have thought what have I done a few weeks into Fulhams season as he was behind a grim performing set of players. You don't get to be Dutch No1 just by being next in the queue.

Has to be Marshall. If Cardiff go down then I reckon he'd be available.

Stekelenburg is also a good call (again, if Fulham go down).

Can't see Schmeichel moving since Leicester have just been promoted...

What about Keylor Navas of Levante? Linked in the summer along with Ruben Garcia in a double deal. Can't remember which paper it was in though. No idea how good he his but wouldn't have thought he'd be linked to Liverpool for £8m in the upcoming transfer window if he was useless. 27 years old and off to the World Cup with Costa Rica.

Ask for lindegaard as a make weight when they bid for shaw

alternatively that highly rated nipper that Chelsea have .....courtois

I thought the whole point should be we need an experienced international keeper.....not a lad....however promising he might be.

Our problem began when first promoted back to Prem.... and NA thought KD was OK at the higher level, but he clearly wasn't. (No disrespect to KD) ..and many other Prem.sides had at least two international keepers.

Problem further compounded when we didn't get Butland not such a bad miss in retrospect....and so we chose Gazzaniga instead, based only on the fact he had half-a-good season with Gillingham.

If the idea was that Gazza sat on the bench for a year or two (and in case of the occasional injury) in order to get upto pace..... that idea went out the window in the first month...and he was clearly no better than KD.

I was more angry with " NA and The Board " than I was with Gazza, who quite clearly wasn't upto the task either...not then ...or now.

Thankfully Boruc was available, but now even he is beginning to show the signs of age with slow-healing injuries. ...and at 38 ...KD 's future first team chances are becoming less and less - even though he's likely to stay on and see out his 3 year extension.

Many young keepers can look good when in their teens, apparantly Tommy Forecast did ....:scared:..... but only one or two young keepers every generation make it to the top.

17 y.o. Peter Shilton replaced WC goalie Gordon Banks in 1967....and Gary Sprake was a sensation at Leeds in the 1970's...whilst still in his teens.....many, many others have fallen by the wayside by 21.

Right now we have ; Boruc, and KD (both injured)...Gazzaniga of course.... and USA U21 keeper Cody Cropper (who has had a less than successful spell in the U21 set-up) then comes ... N.I. U21 keeper Chris Johns, and at U18 level we have signed up Harry Isted (recently signed -aged 17) and several others who have had trials in recent games.) Jed Smith, Gogic and White

Will Britt has been with the Academy for a while, but is presently on loan to ...Bognor..!.... which ever league they are in?

....and so if the first three named aren't available....the choice from the remainder is grim. The fact remains that Boruc is the only reliable name in the whole bunch......when fit !

Now that's THREE roles we need to urgently fill in the Summer. A " clone of Lovren" would be good, an experienced international goalie ...and with JayRod's injury and the Osvaldo fiasco still to resolve, we need..at least ONE good (proven) striker to support Lambert up front - even though he doesn't play the traditional striker role any longer.

It's sensible to continue integrating Academy talent into the squad, but there needs to be a stable team to begin to work with in the first place. Very few kids last for very long in their first season.

Edited by david in sweden

I thought the whole point should be we need an experienced international keeper.....not a lad....however promising he might be.

Many young keepers can look good when in their teens, apparantly Tommy Forecast did ....:scared:..... but only one or two young keepers every generation make it to the top.

I think the chelsea lad might just be one of those

I do like Lindegaard at Utd. 28(or close to that I think!) is a good age for a keeper, he has decent experience, speaks the language (important he can communicate and command a defence) and could challenge Boruc without expecting to be no1 without contest.

That and his contract is up, I believe I read somewhere, so he would be a decent freebie allowing us to spend what, if any, money is available elsewhere (think we're all in agreement CB is priority).

Think Marshall is getting overrated because he's getting peppered in goal at Cardiff,so many shots at him so he's gonna pull of some great saves.

In my opinion we should go all out for Begovic, fantastic keeper.

Oh and Boruc is better than Lindegaard, Schmeichel and David Marshall

Kasper will not be available, one of a very rich Leicester's key players, it always amazes me that A.) Leeds sold him for £1m, and B.) we didn't pull our finger out there and then.

He is one of those players that will make the step up and become a top player, just like lallana.

Marshall is very achievable but Tan will demand a lot of money to sell anyone he considers a key player, strikes me that he would pay a fine rather than obey by championship FFP next season, he's like football's North Korean Dictator and will do whatever is required to keep his ego and success on the up!

I think that Begovic is never going to happen sadly.

A lot of my French colleagues rave about David Ospina at Nice, don't know much about him myself, but they cant understand how he isn't at a bigger European club.

Colombian international, 25

He s had a very very good season at Nice. Very good at shot stopping and good in the air. Physical impact on corners in Ligue 1 isn t as strong as the premier ligue so its difficult to judge if he Will be good in the air in the premier ligue.

Stéphane ruffier of Saint Etienne would also be good.

I essentially agree with the OP and would like Boruc to have some proper competition. No offence to Kelvin, 10 years ago he'd have been exactly that but 3rd choice and developing his career towards coaching or a senior commercial position with the club is Kelvin's future. Gazza we should reach a compromise agreement with and he can start again in L2 if there are takers (e.g. Pompey) or perhaps part-time in non league for someone like Dorchester or Salisbury. Apart of Bart's horror show v Blackpool, he looked a far better keeper than Gazza and that's playing for a club in L1's bottom four.

So out of the names mentioned:

Lindegaard - possible, decent keeper and won't dislodge De Gea who after a shaky start will be world class and in the top 5 best globally for a decade

Schmichael - No chance with Leicester getting promoted

Forster - Yes, but would Celtic want to sell? How long left on his deal there? Would give him a better shot at England

Ruddy - Yes please, looks solid but Norwich would only sell if relegated. Big yes please to Redmond whose loyalty may have been to Hughton

Marshall - No thanks, was poor for Norwich and has improved but only a slightly better Kelvin. Kelvin looked like Gordon Banks in 08/09 because he had such a callow, porous defence in front of him that he was constantly in action and I fear there may be an element of this with Marshall

Stekelenburg - Best choice here IMO. Fulham, if they go down, will need to cut costs as their wage bill is still fairly hefty and he looks much better on crosses and commanding his area than Marshall

Begovic - Will go to top 4 or a top CL side in Europe

Don't disagree with the OP's opening line, but he then does go off at a tangent.

Gazzaniga needs to play more regularly to get condidence and wisdom, so loan him to a Championship or League One side that will make him first choice. Call him back if he is just sitting on the bench, and loan him out until he is valued by someone.

Boruc is perfectly fine, but a keeper will get injured and needs quality backup. KD - time to retire and be a coach. We need a quality backup for Boruc and I agree with suspects named - Ruddy, Marshall even Stekelenburg.

Lindegaard, Forster, Schmeichel, Begovic will all be unachievable options.

Realistically I think we could get Forster, top goalkeeper. I'd love Begovic but he's going to be going to a 'top side' if anywhere.

Can't see us having a hope of getting Begovic and he'd cost an absolute fortune. Forster would be nice but he will cost a lot as he's already an england international. Are the board going to sanction another Wanyama fee? Hence why i'd go for Mccarthy if Reading don't get promoted, has played well in prem, located reasonably close, is a nice age 24ish(probably looking to step back up) but might cost a few million less.

Our problem began when first promoted back to Prem.... and NA thought KD was OK at the higher level, but he clearly wasn't. (No disrespect to KD) ..and many other Prem.sides had at least two international keepers.

Problem further compounded when we didn't get Butland not such a bad miss in retrospect....and so we chose Gazzaniga instead, based only on the fact he had half-a-good season with Gillingham.

If the idea was that Gazza sat on the bench for a year or two (and in case of the occasional injury) in order to get upto pace..... that idea went out the window in the first month...and he was clearly no better than KD.

I was more angry with " NA and The Board " than I was with Gazza, who quite clearly wasn't upto the task either...not then ...or now.

Thankfully Boruc was available, but now even he is beginning to show the signs of age with slow-healing injuries. ...and at 38 ...KD 's future first team chances are becoming less and less - even though he's likely to stay on and see out his 3 year extension.

17 y.o. Peter Shilton replaced WC goalie Gordon Banks in 1967....and Gary Sprake was a sensation at Leeds in the 1970's...whilst still in his teens.....many, many others have fallen by the wayside by 21.

Right now we have ; Boruc, and KD (both injured)...Gazzaniga of course.... and USA U21 keeper Cody Cropper (who has had a less than successful spell in the U21 set-up) then comes ... N.I. U21 keeper Chris Johns, and at U18 level we have signed up Harry Isted (recently signed -aged 17) and several others who have had trials in recent games.) Jed Smith, Gogic and White

Will Britt has been with the Academy for a while, but is presently on loan to ...Bognor..!.... which ever league they are in?

....and so if the first three named aren't available....the choice from the remainder is grim. The fact remains that Boruc is the only reliable name in the whole bunch......when fit !

Now that's THREE roles we need to urgently fill in the Summer. A " clone of Lovren" would be good, an experienced international goalie ...and with JayRod's injury and the Osvaldo fiasco still to resolve, we need..at least ONE good (proven) striker to support Lambert up front - even though he doesn't play the traditional striker role any longer.

It's sensible to continue integrating Academy talent into the squad, but there needs to be a stable team to begin to work with in the first place. Very few kids last for very long in their first season.

You are awear that Courtois has been Atlético Madrid's first choice keeper for the last 2 years right?

Regardless we have no chance of getting him.