Katharina Please Hurry Up and Sell

Junior Mullet

Last summer a battle ensued between Cortesse and Katharina. The ins and outs are unknown to most but Cortesse wanted Katharina to sell the club to someone who was willing and able to take the club on a course that matched Cortesse's own grand ambitions. It didn't happen and, in the Winter, Cortesse left. The directors that backed Katharina rather than Cortesse were rewarded with high profile roles at the club.

Ever since Cortesse left the club have made choices that, to me, appear amateurish and naive. I feel a little bit embarrassed, once again as a Saints fan.

Love or loathe Cortesse, he had great ambition. The best thing about Cortesse was that his ambition was infectious and he was credible. He instilled his ambition in the players and made them believe that they could fulfill their potential at Saints. He kept some excellent players here during our rise up the tables and last summer added three Champions League quality players - central to this was his unwavering conviction that we would one day be a Champions League club ourselves. Amazingly the players bought into that. But why should that have surprised anyone? The club had a history of producing top quality players through the youth ranks, we had an excellent manager and we supplemented our squad with quality. At last it looked like Saints could hold on to its best talent with ambition rather than being a feeder club. The pundits loved us and we were surely only a "Suarez" away from being a top four team ourselves.

Personally I loved Cortesse's arrogance and stories of not answering calls etc. It was what we'd been crying out for for years, having seen the likes of Bale and Walcott slip through our fingers.

I'm sickenedd by quotes such as these yesterday:

Executive Director Les Reed commented: “While we are sad to see Luke depart the club, we fought to ensure that we got the right deal for a player in whom we have invested a great deal of work over the past decade.

“Luke joined us at the age of eight, and our academy staff and coaches have helped him to progress into a top-class player. He will leave our club and carry forward our top-class pedigree, as others have done before.

“This deal is a good one for Southampton Football Club, and hopefully sends a clear message to other clubs wishing to bid for our players.

CEO Gareth Rogers commented: “Luke's world-record transfer to Manchester United is yet another endorsement of the great work undertaken at our academy and by the staff at Southampton Football Club.

What a sad difference from transfer statements made by Cortesse.

We were on the brink of something really great. Surely it could have been the best era in Saints' history, but not now the dominos are falling and those in charge rub their hands together in the belief that it is in the club's best interest. Watch those dominos fall and watch us go backwards. It's bad news for us fans.

How long until we the fans get on Katharina's back? Sentiment for her father aside, I don't think it will be long. When that happens my guess is she will sell. Hopefully she will sell to someone who is not prohibited from appointing Cortesse if they like. Question is how much damage will be done in the meantime and how long do we, once again, have to endure being a feeder club?

I feel the sooner Katharina sells up, the better.

And whose money was Cortese playing with? Certainly not his!

It's time for a reality check: we are a mid-table Prem team and the vultures will pick up our best players: in the same way we will pick up other teams best players.

To think we can compete with man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City spending power is deluded. Plus our gates are around half of those teams which is a huge commercial gap before even considering they are also global brands and we are not.

Jesus Christ do we have to put up with this crap every time we sell a player:mcinnes:.

Yes it's all very upsetting that all these players didn't want to spend their entire career at saints but that's football.The club are doing their best in difficult circumstances. Circumstances that NC never had to face. So the club may have to take a step back to take two steps forward but until the season is well underway we won't know how all this is going to work out.

Jesus Christ do we have to put up with this crap every time we sell a player:mcinnes:.

Yes it's all very upsetting that all these players didn't want to spend their entire career at saints but that's football.The club are doing their best in difficult circumstances. Circumstances that NC never had to face. So the club may have to take a step back to take two steps forward but until the season is well underway we won't know how all this is going to work out.

I know what you are saying and having unhappy players is not good. Don't be fooled though we create the situations we have to deal with and the board are dealing with something they have created and the course of action they have decided upon. They are NOT the victims of circumstance

Either we like it or not, we would have a different summer with Cortese. Our club may not be a CL-club in the long run but this was out chance of going for it. Building a new squad is like a lottery as we have seen we our signings since we made it back to

PL. I think we should have gone for it but the lady with money didn't. Fair enough.

what a load of shiiittt, the original post that is.

The original post is CORRECT

Pity that YOU, the Supporters cannot see the wood from the trees

Ask yourself this.

If, under Katharina and Sir Les, SFC is such a great place, WHY are most of our best players making it very very plain that they want out ???

It is not simply the lure of the Champions League. It is because they don't see a future at St Mary's

All Les reed blabs on about is how wonderful Staplewood is, and he's doing everything in the best interests of SFC

He said, "We tried hard to keep him (Luke) " ...... now where have I heard that line before ??"

Yes, Staplewood is great, but money in the Bank nowhere near compensates for the Quality of player(s) being sold to the highest bidder

The (controlled) Firesale I forecast some time ago IS happening. If you don't believe me, see how many new names are in the starting eleven for the first Prem League match

I know what you are saying and having unhappy players is not good. Don't be fooled though we create the situations we have to deal with and the board are dealing with something they have created and the course of action they have decided upon. They are NOT the victims of circumstance

How have the board created a situation were players want to move to bigger clubs for more money and European football?

Poch has tricked all of them into thinking without him their careers are Southampton are a waste of time.

I reckon he has, directly or indirectly, got it into the players heads that it was ALL about himself last year and without him they're nothing.

I reckon he's done us some serious damage, that argie.

"I feel the sooner Katharina sells up, the better."

Be careful what you wish for ...

OK,.... after careful consideration .......... " I feel the sooner Katharina sells up, the better "

Main reason ??? Her aspirations are nothing like what her Fathers were

I do despair at times over the ill thought out reasons some posters vent their spleen.The OP appears to be using a very basic form of obfuscation to justify his/her point. Do you really believe that the three players who have left or about to leave have the word loyalty in their vocabulary? The cash-cow that is Sky TV has put the pink tinted glasses on a lot of mediocre players in the EPL and obscene payments turn their heads and help them believe they are somehow superior beings.Greed dosen't motivate a Nurse,Teacher,carer, they just dedicate their talents for the benefit of others.Footballers? I've seen them come and go over the 57 years I've been a Saint and still I,like thousands of other Saints,continue to be loyal to OUR club. RK will do what he has to do so will KL and LR.Sell the club? Why? Are we all defeatists?

I'm angar with board too! They seem to be always bend over! They should be thinking how many of our best players can we sell in one window without completely f*cking our team? The answer is prob 1 or 2. They've already binned 3 & I've got nasty feeling it's gonna end up 5 or 6!

You are allowed to tell players to stay, dumb board! That's why you give them contracts!

Ask yourself this.

If, under Katharina and Sir Les, SFC is such a great place, WHY are most of our best players making it very very plain that they want out ???

It is not simply the lure of the Champions League. It is because they don't see a future at St Mary's

All Les reed blabs on about is how wonderful Staplewood is, and he's doing everything in the best interests of SFC

He said, "We tried hard to keep him (Luke) " ...... now where have I heard that line before ??"

Yes, Staplewood is great, but money in the Bank nowhere near compensates for the Quality of player(s) being sold to the highest bidder

The (controlled) Firesale I forecast some time ago IS happening. If you don't believe me, see how many new names are in the starting eleven for the first Prem League match

This...............Correct......Too many Saints fans who seem to accept we should have no ambition,no desire to make that next step up......we were just a small number of player acquisitions away from going onto great things....When we're sat in the middle of the Championship with 50million pounds in the bank it will be ok though....because that's about as far as our ambition goes.....Survival.

This...............Correct......Too many Saints fans who seem to accept we should have no ambition,no desire to make that next step up......we were just a small number of player acquisitions away from going onto great things....When we're sat in the middle of the Championship with 50million pounds in the bank it will be ok though....because that's about as far as our ambition goes.....Survival.

yeah this. We, the fans, should buy KL out and have the fans run the club then we could see real ambition we could keep all our best players, sell our crap ones for loads of money, while putting massive bids in for the top teams best players all while pushing on to win the Champions league running a mid size provincial football club is easy why can't the owners and board do it right morons...........

.......mean while back in the real world of modern football

yeah this. We, the fans, should buy KL out and have the fans run the club then we could see real ambition we could keep all our best players, sell our crap ones for loads of money, while putting massive bids in for the top teams best players all while pushing on to win the Champions league running a mid size provincial football club is easy why can't the owners and board do it right morons...........

.......mean while back in the real world of modern football

SaintRichmond for Chairman!

The constant line about how good the academy is and how much money it has generated from sales is a bit trite. What is the point of producing all these players for other clubs if all you want to do is consider your bank balance? The message Reed is sending out is pretty clear to me, and it is welcoming other clubs to take their pick.

Now of course the position this time next week will be different and look rosier but then again we might have sold SRL, AL, MS, DL, LS, CC, NC, JC, DO, GR and anyone else.

I am sure the board has ambition but within a structured environment and finances and that's what we as fans need to get our heads round. It is amazing how so many fans have taken on the mentality of some of the Scousers and Mancs thinking they have a god given right to be winning things and getting what we want, we haven't end of.

To say we are a small number of players short of moving on to greater things may be true, but the type of player we would need we couldn't afford ,could we realistically pay those types of players £80-100k per week players as Shaw,Lallana are likely to be getting elsewhere on our income level, come on guys let's get some perspective.

We have a stadium of 32,500 we couldn't sell out for quite a few games last season and the TV money will go so far but not enough to pay a squad an average of £70k a week which is where I suspect the next level we aspire to is and expecting KL just to keep paying the difference because she owns it is just a fantasists dream.

Players come and go end of

The players are leaving because they want to play Champions League football and be challenging for titles, something they cannot realistically achieve at Saints. Yes it's sad and it hurts, but unfortunately that's how things work in football. The board are doing their best in very difficult circumstances and while I'm hugely disappointed myself, I at least have confidence in them and Koeman to get good fees and reinvest in the team as best as possible. At least wait and see who we bring in.

Poch has tricked all of them into thinking without him their careers are Southampton are a waste of time.

I reckon he has, directly or indirectly, got it into the players heads that it was ALL about himself last year and without him they're nothing.

Please tell me I missed the sacra as button?

Last summer a battle ensued between Cortesse and Katharina. The ins and outs are unknown to most but Cortesse wanted Katharina to sell the club to someone who was willing and able to take the club on a course that matched Cortesse's own grand ambitions. It didn't happen and, in the Winter, Cortesse left. The directors that backed Katharina rather than Cortesse were rewarded with high profile roles at the club.

Ever since Cortesse left the club have made choices that, to me, appear amateurish and naive. I feel a little bit embarrassed, once again as a Saints fan.

Love or loathe Cortesse, he had great ambition. The best thing about Cortesse was that his ambition was infectious and he was credible. He instilled his ambition in the players and made them believe that they could fulfill their potential at Saints. He kept some excellent players here during our rise up the tables and last summer added three Champions League quality players - central to this was his unwavering conviction that we would one day be a Champions League club ourselves. Amazingly the players bought into that. But why should that have surprised anyone? The club had a history of producing top quality players through the youth ranks, we had an excellent manager and we supplemented our squad with quality. At last it looked like Saints could hold on to its best talent with ambition rather than being a feeder club. The pundits loved us and we were surely only a "Suarez" away from being a top four team ourselves.

Personally I loved Cortesse's arrogance and stories of not answering calls etc. It was what we'd been crying out for for years, having seen the likes of Bale and Walcott slip through our fingers.

I'm sickenedd by quotes such as these yesterday:

Executive Director Les Reed commented: “While we are sad to see Luke depart the club, we fought to ensure that we got the right deal for a player in whom we have invested a great deal of work over the past decade.

“Luke joined us at the age of eight, and our academy staff and coaches have helped him to progress into a top-class player. He will leave our club and carry forward our top-class pedigree, as others have done before.

“This deal is a good one for Southampton Football Club, and hopefully sends a clear message to other clubs wishing to bid for our players.

CEO Gareth Rogers commented: “Luke's world-record transfer to Manchester United is yet another endorsement of the great work undertaken at our academy and by the staff at Southampton Football Club.

What a sad difference from transfer statements made by Cortesse.

We were on the brink of something really great. Surely it could have been the best era in Saints' history, but not now the dominos are falling and those in charge rub their hands together in the belief that it is in the club's best interest. Watch those dominos fall and watch us go backwards. It's bad news for us fans.

How long until we the fans get on Katharina's back? Sentiment for her father aside, I don't think it will be long. When that happens my guess is she will sell. Hopefully she will sell to someone who is not prohibited from appointing Cortesse if they like. Question is how much damage will be done in the meantime and how long do we, once again, have to endure being a feeder club?

I feel the sooner Katharina sells up, the better.

What you missed, was lallana, shaw and Lambert all wanting to leave. Possibly a few others. Your crying over players who left you. Why can you get behind Southampton and the squad that have stayed loyal. You criticise Katrina but I am fully convinced she loves the club.I was looking through old photos and she is in the directors box in many, Bournemouth 2010 being one example, and she was with her nephew/son. It is her money, the liebhers saved us, and they continue to try their best for us. In contrast your post summarises a stance from the fans that is at best ungrateful, and at worst pathetic, selfish and ignorant.

I understand your how fans can get upset, but to paraphrase the killers, are we saints fans, or are we plastics.

How long until we the fans get on Katharina's back? .

Not long. You're the first. Congratulations, give yourself a pat on the back.

Rather than some of the players leaving, we could do with some of the fans going, judging by the puerile, infantile drivel that some of them post. The OP really has to be right up there as one of the all time greats.

It comes into the category of potential Skate on a wind-up. Surely none of our true fans would insinuate that KL would want anything but the best for the club that her late father bought?

There is absolutely no evidence that those players would not have left had Cortese remained here. Neither is there anything to suggest that we will not replace them with Champions League standard players. After all, Cortese managed it with KL's money, so why can't anybody else appointed by her?

You would do well to learn that patience is a virtue and that you are making yourself look ridiculous by arriving at conclusions without waiting to see whether we replace those players with others as good or indeed better.

OK,.... after careful consideration .......... " I feel the sooner Katharina sells up, the better "

what do you know her aspirations or her father's aspirations?

as far as I know the europe, champions league, and challenging for the title stuff came from cortese after her father's death.

for all the guff about knowing people of similar mind to her father who would take the club on, he has produced nothing except a toxic situation.

You really do have no clue as to what her aspirations are and it makes you look a bit pathetic believing that you do.

Ask yourself this.

It quite amazes me how some people come up with some conclusions contary to the facts and evidence and whats more do not undestand the PL

Why would Shaw not want to go to Man U the most famous club in England for £100000 per week

We will get in players some may do well some may not that is Football

An ambition to win cups, get into Europe and be consistent mid table is not "survival".

An ambition to be a Champions League club, on the other hand, is borderline retarded.

The "next step up" from finishing 8th is not, say, finishing fifth, but simply finishing eighth again - that has been a task beyond plenty of clubs in recent years, and right now is a stretching enough ambition for us to go for. Plus, of course, a cup final or win.

I have thought long and hard about a reasoned response to the original post, so here goes:

we have Katharina to thank for our meteoric rise from League 1, which is where we were when her father sadly passed away. I will be eternally grateful for everything she has done for us.

Anyone calling for her to sell, because we aren't going for Champions League, and somehow blame her for the greed of the modern disloyal player, is in my book, an absolute c*nt. Or even worse, a skate.

I can't understand how the board can issue a statement which says they have acted in the best interests of the club and sent a strong message to other clubs. The only message they have sent is ' come and get who you want, we're a selling club' By the way, where is the chairman? I can't imagine NC going missing at a time like this

I am sure the board has ambition but within a structured environment and finances and that's what we as fans need to get our heads round. It is amazing how so many fans have taken on the mentality of some of the Scousers and Mancs thinking they have a god given right to be winning things and getting what we want, we haven't end of.

To say we are a small number of players short of moving on to greater things may be true, but the type of player we would need we couldn't afford ,could we realistically pay those types of players £80-100k per week players as Shaw,Lallana are likely to be getting elsewhere on our income level, come on guys let's get some perspective.

We have a stadium of 32,500 we couldn't sell out for quite a few games last season and the TV money will go so far but not enough to pay a squad an average of £70k a week which is where I suspect the next level we aspire to is and expecting KL just to keep paying the difference because she owns it is just a fantasists dream.

Players come and go end of

Well said.

I can't understand how the board can issue a statement which says they have acted in the best interests of the club and sent a strong message to other clubs. The only message they have sent is ' come and get who you want, we're a selling club' By the way, where is the chairman? I can't imagine NC going missing at a time like this

Selling players who don't want to be here for good money is in all likelihood (despite being very sad and a bit depressing) in the best interests of the club. Would you rather we had a team of players all agitating for a move away and not giving a f uck or new players out to prove themselves and grateful to SFC for the chance to play in the PL? Almost every club in the world is a selling club at the right price unless you think saints is somehow on par with Barca and Real Madrid?

what a load of shiiittt, the original post that is.

This. I think we're incredibly fortunate that we have KL as an owner. Have you not looked at some of the other clubs owners? They're madder than a barrel full of monkeys most of them. Just look up the road to Reading as an example.

It's easy and understandable to be angry at the board... but the players are being c*nts. They board clearly don't have much choice. :(

Just hope Koeman knew about all these (potential) departures before he joined, but I think he will have been informed.

It would be nice to think that Koeman's attitude would have been that if those players preferrred to take their chances between playing here or bench-warming at some glory club, then let the greedy buggers go. Perhaps his attitude is that he can easily replace them with players as good as them (for frankly the obscene amounts of money we received for them), with players who are wholeheartedly behind him and his ambitions.

Our success had been due to the team unity that developed between the mixture of youngsters brought up by the club, together with players brought in who showed promise, or who had a last chance of proving themselves after a poor start to their careers. If we have succeeded in choosing those players and brought them to a standard where they have been coveted by the top clubs in England or Europe, then we can do it again. There are other players coming through the academy, other Ricky Lamberts in the lower divisions and other Lovren's in Europe out of favour with their current teams.

Koeman has a far better list of contacts than most among the top clubs and with some very good players. All the bed-wetters blaming the board for these greedy players leaving, ought to have the temerity to express their opinions on whether they believe that Koeman was an exceptional signing and a declaration of our ambition and give the board some credit for appointing him.

Be careful what you wish for. So KL puts the club up for sale and stop investing and we end up like Villa for a while, then eventially we get sold to a nutter like Cardiff.

KL and the board are trying there best to steer the club through the first sticky time since they took over, NC didn't have to do this this because he stuck around whilst we were on an upward trajectory and jumped before it got choppy. We do seem to ave a cohort of payers determined to leave, and that is normally down to players not getting something that they have been promised. It's not that the ambition has changed because if any thinks that we can keep players here by claiming to be going for a CL spot then they are deluded.

It is my believe that NC over promised on wage increases, wages that SFC can not pay and wages that KL was not prepared to pay. So any discontent in the camp has been set up by the past regime and is being managed by this one.

Someone said where is Ralph K, well so many fans have moaned about him so he is taken a back seat and transfers have been given to Les.

Football really is **** now if the only way to get on is to hook up with a money laundering billionaire.

Or did he leave because he knew the board lacked ambition and he was going to lose the heart of his team? not sure we will ever know