Gaston Ramirez

Wiggles31

Will he finally produce the goods under Koeman. He's still only 23 and we all know the potential he has, players stating how incredible he is in training and of course the Villa game. I never felt that MP gave him a chance and was a player he didn't like probably due to his casualness at times in games.

If Koeman can bring him to life it will be like a massive new signing. Fingers crossed. Thoughts??

So obviously talented but just not sure if he will ever adapt.

However, two things he clearly needs:

1. To play centrally

2. To get a run of starts

Only then can we tell IMO.

Totally this. Big pre-season for him, needs to impress

He's got a lot of talent. Was always a struggle fitting him and Adam in the same team. Won't have that issue this year. Huge year for him, needs to push on now.

I don't think fitting him and Tadic together will be any easier.

Doubt he'll do much for us but I'd love to be proved wrong

Worth mentioning again that in the 2012-13 season when they both played regularly, Ramirez had a bet rate of goals and assists than JRod. If JRod was worth bearing with, why not Ramirez? He wasn't particualrly bad last season, MP just didn't play him. There's only so much he could ever do when he's not given a role in the team. I thought he was a good professional last season, just getting on with it despite being relegated to the bench. I don't remember any real posturing or whining.

I remember looking at the stats he was one of our best chance creators per unit time he was playing, he just never got that much game time. This season he either becomes the first name on the team sheet every week or starts looking for a transfer back to the continent.

He was significantly damaged by playing with somebody as immobile as Lambert, his performance levels will heavily depend on who we bring in up front.

Absolutely. Been saying this for ages. Lambert's legs were never able to match his speed of thought.

In terms of raw talent he's arguably our best player. Play him as a 10 with a mobile 9 ahead of him, plus intelligent runners flanking him, and he'll be a hell of a player.

Stick him out wide and ask him to pass to players incapable of making the correct runs and he'll carry on underachieving.

I'm confident RK can bring the best out of him.

Worth mentioning again that in the 2012-13 season when they both played regularly, Ramirez had a bet rate of goals and assists than JRod. If JRod was worth bearing with, why not Ramirez? He wasn't particualrly bad last season, MP just didn't play him. There's only so much he could ever do when he's not given a role in the team. I thought he was a good professional last season, just getting on with it despite being relegated to the bench. I don't remember any real posturing or whining.

I seem to remember him just walking off the pitch in one game last season leaving us with 10 men because he was fed up/injured. Gaston does seem a bit unfit/injury prone seems to get knocks easily, struggled to be match fit, getting cramp easily maybe he was just more suited to the slower pace of Serie A

Absolutely. Been saying this for ages. Lambert's legs were never able to match his speed of thought.

In terms of raw talent he's arguably our best player. Play him as a 10 with a mobile 9 ahead of him, plus intelligent runners flanking him, and he'll be a hell of a player.

Stick him out wide and ask him to pass to players incapable of making the correct runs and he'll carry on underachieving.

I'm confident RK can bring the best out of him.

That kind of suggests that Gaston isn't a thinking footballer then. Surely he should have accounted for Lamberts strengths and weaknesses and adjusted his game rather than trying to get Lambert to do the impossible. Gaston played with J-rod to, no lack of pace there, yet I still don't remember him having much impact.

I'm still waiting for him to unlock some stubborn defences keep being told he is the answer to breaking down teams defending deep yet I can't really remember him ever having an impact coming on as a sub and doing that.

Came on v WBA at home, set up Lallana for the winner about 5 minutes later.

I seem to remember him just walking off the pitch in one game last season leaving us with 10 men because he was fed up/injured.

fed up/injured? Lol.

I don't think you can really post those two like they're the same thing.

I don't remember him ever leaving the pitch because he was "fed up". Even Alpine hasn't tried to claim he did that. If he left the pitch because he was injured, that's a different thing altogether, isn't it?

That kind of suggests that Gaston isn't a thinking footballer then. Surely he should have accounted for Lamberts strengths and weaknesses and adjusted his game rather than trying to get Lambert to do the impossible.

If Gaston regularly played off Lambert as a 10 I think they could have formed a pairing. There has never been a thinking issue imo, merely that gaston was rarely played in a position or style of play that suited his game. I think he will shine playing as a 10 with a mobile striker making intelligent runs.

I may be wrong but I've seen enough in Gaston to see that he's potentially our best player. He's now got to deliver - even I say there can be no more excuses.

If Gaston regularly played off Lambert as a 10 I think they could have formed a pairing. There has never been a thinking issue imo, merely that gaston was rarely played in a position or style of play that suited his game. I think he will shine playing as a 10 with a mobile striker making intelligent runs.

I may be wrong but I've seen enough in Gaston to see that he's potentially our best player. He's now got to deliver - even I say there can be no more excuses.

This is the kind of thing people used to say about Alan McCloughlin.

He's got a lot of talent. Was always a struggle fitting him and Adam in the same team. Won't have that issue this year. Huge year for him, needs to push on now.

This is a point I've also been making for the last two seasons. In Ramirez's first season they were both too lightweight and we could not afford the luxury of them both. Last season Lallana played the form of his life, and GR was not going to dislodge him.

Whether he and Tadic can both be accomodated remains to be seen. Perhaps Koeman can 'unlock' Ramirez's potential and fully utilise him whereas MP

clearly could not.

Ramirez does worry me a bit though as he needs someone to compensate for him by doing his legwork and defensive duties. Seeing him 'outmuscled' by Crouch at Stoke last season though did nothing to convince me that he is physically/mentally up to the rigours of Premiership football and his talents may be better off in Spain or Italy.

This.

We dont seem to have had any enquiries about him; his stock is really low.

Better to stop pouring his wages down the drain.

Errr... so what's your point. No enquiries means we still stop pouring his wages down the drain. How does that work? No enquiries means we should try and utitlise more than we have?

IMO he is one of the most talented players at the club but someone who hasn't felt valued under Adkins or Pochettino. We have seen flashed of his brilliance and I have little doubt that this will be his season.

This is the kind of thing people used to say about Alan McCloughlin.

It's like the good old days when we had the Swedish David Beckham and the Latvian Micheal Owen. We now have the Uruguyan Alan McCloughlin.

Play the lad centrally, bolster his confidence by giving him more of a mainstream part rather than a bit part and he'll shine IMO. It will be interesting to see if RK gives him the much pitch time - I'm actually guessing not with the other options available to him.

Potentially Ramirez is our best player and I really hope he stays and RK can get him going, this is his talent apparently. Ramirez is still young so can still make big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally this. Big pre-season for him, needs to impress

Which is part of the problem, in a World Cup year pre season is a bit ****ed up for all the players that go. At least he came home fairly early I suppose. The Duch, German, Argentinian and Brazilians still won't be back at their clubs for at least another couple of weeks.

Potentially Ramirez is our best player and I really hope he stays and RK can get him going, this is his talent apparently. Ramirez is still young so can still make big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely this.I cant understand why anyone who claims to be a Saints fan doesnt want Gaston to succeed.

He really started to show a bit of class before being hacked down by Wes Brown last season. I think that this could be the ideal time to establish himself, with a more mobile striker he could create a formidable pairing.

Just hope that Koeman gives him a decent chance, he might need time to create the understanding with a new striker.

When do we accept that he's an expensive flop?

For me, if he hasn't delivered by the January window. That assumes that he's not stuck on the wing, has a good run of games and remains injury free.

Absolutely this.I cant understand why anyone who claims to be a Saints fan doesnt want Gaston to succeed.

Yep, anyone who just writes off the bags of talent he clearly has is a mentalist, or lives in a west European mountain range (or both). No-one else in our squad would have even seen the first time ball that put in Banana to score against West Brom last season, and no-one else could have run the game like he did against Villa.

But this is probably his make or break season with us. Give him a proper run of games in the middle, and it could feel like we have another new marquee signing on our hands. If it still hasn't worked by mid-season, maybe that's when we have to accept that Spain or Italy just suits him more and he'll never quite adjust to the Prem.

With Lallana no longer taking up the space in the hole (and to a degree Lambert too) you'd think that Ramirez would be the natural replacement (from the clips I have seen Tadic seems to play wide left), but I get the feeling he prefers to drop deep than to work between opponents defence and midfield.

I'm not sure any Saints manager is going to trust him to play that deep (not to mention having Morgan, Cork and Wanyama there already) as he can be a little careless with some of his passing and at times risks getting caught in possession in dangerous areas.

He's wasted out wide, so he really needs to grab that 10 role by the horns. Perhaps Lambert leaving will leave a little more space to play in. A new number 9 playing on the shoulder rather than dropping deep, as Lambert did so often, might help him.

I suspect if a decent offer comes in he will want a move, as he will want to be playing more regularly, but if that doesn't materialise it could actually all turn out great. Or not of course.

Looked good just about whenever called upon last season, particularly just before injury.

People moan about both our lack of squad depth, and his fee - first choice for his role last season in positions and style, was Lallana. So a £13m player was kept out of team by £26m player - isn't this the squad depth we want? Just as Cork kept out by Wanyama?

You obviously have never read an Alpine post. According to him we are best advised to give him away for free - essentially writing off his c. £12M transfer fee from August 2012 just 2 years ago - in order to save his c. £2m pa wages.

So, in order to save c. £2M this year and next on his 4 year contract that commercial genius poster thinks its better to give away our £12M expensive asset GR and forfeit all of the £££ we paid for a 23 year old World Cup squad Full International. And he is a Saints player still and we've just lost 3 maybe more of our best International standard players and yet the solution/answer offered is to give this one away free? To say that answer is laughable is to be disrespectful towards comedians.

IF we got an offer for him I reckon the Board would listen. But to bin him for free with the rationale given?

And you wonder why its hard to have authentic conversation on this forum at times. My girlfriends Westie, that is what id call a small dog with an even smaller brain (id say sub squirrel size) could come up with a better answer than that by woofing and doing sit stay and turn around's on cue.