Our club is a joke

Saint Garrett

Chambers is an odd one, not entirely sure what that one is all about. More to it than meets the eye, I imagine.

"Hallo. We are Arsenal. We have a long established tradition of buying Saints players and insisting that we play them, even if form drops massively. You'll be based in London, get a massive pay rise and will be playing in front of huge crowds in competitions like the Champions League. Would you like to join?"

This from The Guardian gives a realistic picture of the impossibility of hanging on to players if this sort of stupid money can be paid.

Financial Fair Play? A joke.

José Mourinho: ‘Signing Luke Shaw would have killed Chelsea’

http://gu.com/p/4v9e2

£130k a week, crazy money.

If Chelsea cant afford to pay it then we don't have a chance.

Rickie must be upwards of 70k at Liverpool and we know Lallana is on 100k, Lovern will be on the same.

People can blame the board all they want, but we SIMPLY CAN NOT afford to pay this kind of money & players heads will be turned

If we go down I don't see it as a problem. If we have a good pot of cash we can buy young and up coming players in a lower division and then build a new and exciting team again. We can then sell them for a good profit, get relegated and start the rebuilding again. We can build our reputation on helping to get youngsters into first team football and will attract the best, knowing that we are happy to be a stepping stone for the bigger clubs.

Financially we will remain stable and we may build good relations with the big 5 clubs. I call it the 'yoyo' strategy and to me it is worth supporting.

Ha, how droll.

Ok on a positive note we have £90m and still in stronger position then when we got promoted to PL when many not sure Lambert or Lallana would cut it at highest level. All the rest were not here or just prospects.

Not to say I am happy though but still many clubs far worse off and hope club confident we have more Shaws and Chambers soon to step up.

It's not our club that's a joke, it's football as a whole, you have 5 clubs in the country spending 10 times more on wages than any of the others and lower league clubs hitting the wall. Meanwhile the national team is woeful. However the media are all happy. This is what's wrong with football, the sport as a whole is going to rat s.hit and we are just having to do the best we can as a club out of it

Do you think this would've happened if Cortese and Poch hadn't left? Would they have been able to convince players to turn down a huge payrise to continue 'the project'?

Both knew what was about to happen. NC saw the signs and didn't want to be associated with this. This is pretty much clear.

It's not too bad building us up from L1/NPC/PL....stable investment and visible progress, but you get to a point (i.e last year) where you need to splash more than you've ever splashed before or you don't' progress any further, Wanyama, Lovren, Osvaldo - huge investments for us...and this year we'd have needed to do more to carry on the trend, and seemingly keep the players happy. This is the problem we have. We're not big enough, we can enjoy star players for a season or 2...but that's it. It will always be the case until we're backed by some sort of Dubai oil rich backer.

It seems as if a club, we have hit the glass ceeling too quickly, at 100mph and seemingly knocked ourselves out.

It's not our club that's a joke, it's football as a whole, you have 5 clubs in the country spending 10 times more on wages than any of the others and lower league clubs hitting the wall. Meanwhile the national team is woeful. However the media are all happy. This is what's wrong with football, the sport as a whole is going to rat s.hit and we are just having to do the best we can as a club out of it

This sums it up. Football in this country is broken and the current model is unsustainable, and the Premier League and Sky have a lot to answer for. But it suits them to crank up the hype around the few "elite" clubs.

IMO it's no longer the best league in the world, but just keep saying it and reinforcing the view that only half a dozen teams really matter, and the vast majority of the unthinking public will believe it and continue to lap it up.

This sums it up. Football in this country is broken and the current model is unsustainable, and the Premier League and Sky have a lot to answer for. But it suits them to crank up the hype around the few "elite" clubs.

IMO it's no longer the best league in the world, but just keep saying it and reinforcing the view that only half a dozen teams really matter, and the vast majority of the unthinking public will believe it and continue to lap it up.

Yes indeed. But unsustainable? I'm not so sure.

Think I'm going to cancel Sky Sports. I don't really want to watch our ex-players running around in another kit; hoping that they fail. That's not healthy is it? Also agree that all the money they pump in makes the game very unhealthy on England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I'm going to cancel Sky Sports. I don't really want to watch our ex-players running around in another kit; hoping that they fail. That's not healthy is it? Also agree that all the money they pump in makes the game very unhealthy on England.

But what about golf, cricket, NFL, European football etc. If you can't take it just don't watch those games

I don't have Sky, never have done. I prefer the wireless.

If we go down I don't see it as a problem. If we have a good pot of cash we can buy young and up coming players in a lower division and then build a new and exciting team again. We can then sell them for a good profit, get relegated and start the rebuilding again. We can build our reputation on helping to get youngsters into first team football and will attract the best, knowing that we are happy to be a stepping stone for the bigger clubs.

Financially we will remain stable and we may build good relations with the big 5 clubs. I call it the 'yoyo' strategy and to me it is worth supporting.

You are talking complete ********. What a tool you are.

When has a club ever sold 6/7 of their best players?!? Even if we replace the with quality, it still takes time to become a TEAM.

I love my club, absolutely love it. But right now, what's happening is unacceptable.

Well then, we can console ourselves that it is going to take all those new additions to Liverpool's team some time to settle too, eh? Their fans must be topping themselves at the worry of how long it will be before those players start to play as a team. And thank God Lallana got injured shortly after we robbed them for him.

£130k a week, crazy money.

If Chelsea cant afford to pay it then we don't have a chance.

Rickie must be upwards of 70k at Liverpool and we know Lallana is on 100k, Lovern will be on the same.

People can blame the board all they want, but we SIMPLY CAN NOT afford to pay this kind of money & players heads will be turned

You don't need to pay any more than the player has already accepted when he signed his contract. If he wants to leave for more money elsewhere when the contract ends, so be it, and if the club want to sell him when there is only a year left, fine, but letting the whole team know that contracts can be torn up is bordering on stupidity.

Putting all the other arguments to one side, this is the unfortunate truth. Load of s***te ain't it.

It's not our club that's a joke it's football as a whole, you have 5 clubs in the country spending 10 times more on wages than any of the others and lower league clubs hitting the wall. Meanwhile the national team is woeful. However the media are all happy. This is what's wrong with football, the sport as a whole is going to rat s.hit and we are just having to do the best we can as a club out of it

Agree with this, however to think we are not complicit I beIieve is wrong. Why else would we spend so much upgrading the Academy, scouting network, Staplewood etc? Ah no, Les Reed has been instrumental in much of this Strategy and has indeed done well. I suspect his friends in the FA...the Directors from the top 4 clubs...will be shaking his hand and telling him what a great job he's doing.

You don't need to pay any more than the player has already accepted when he signed his contract. If he wants to leave for more money elsewhere when the contract ends, so be it, and if the club want to sell him when there is only a year left, fine, but letting the whole team know that contracts can be torn up is bordering on stupidity.

The big difference we are seeing now is that, under the NC regime we regularly offered improved contracts early as a disincentive to players wanting away.

That's just not happening now, either because players won't play ball as they believe (rightly) there are richer pickings to be had elsewhere or our board aren't being realistic over wages needed to keep players.

But I agree we've been weak in letting players leave. Why no tactics such as

"you have 3 years on your contract and you're going nowhere. You can sulk on your current pay and forget about the first team or commit to Saints with an improved contract, which is the best you're getting"

But of course that is only ok if the club is able/prepared to risk the loss of a player's value if they opt to see out their current contract and refuse a new one. And I think the change is that the risk will no longer be taken.

In this new climate, once a couple got away, it was inevitable that the rot would set in with a vengeance.

The only good news is what we've raked in through over-inflated fees. Why are they over-inflated? Other clubs are more robust in hanging on to assets and those with money to burn will dive in if they find selling club, which we now are, again.We have gone from the toughest club to deal with to the softest touch in 6 months.

Just hope the re-build works - very little of last year's team will be left by the time this chaos ends.

Whilst this is inevitably true, Joe, there are short periods when a "small" club manges to stick its head above the parapet and for a fleeting moment, turns the natural order upside-down. If Fat Kat hadnt decided she'd indulged the fanatasy enough, we were on the cusp of exactly such a moment. Its a crying shame...

Yes Saints are currently the laughing stock - in the press, amongst other supporters and, more importantly, amongst the good people of Southampton if the comments I have heard are anything to go by. What a mess.

I used to be proud to tell people I supported Saints, now if I do I get one of two reactions. a) Laughter (don't mind this too much frankly) b) Pity... Pity ffs.

Whilst this is inevitably true, Joe, there are short periods when a "small" club manges to stick its head above the parapet and for a fleeting moment, turns the natural order upside-down. If Fat Kat hadnt decided she'd indulged the fanatasy enough, we were on the cusp of exactly such a moment. Its a crying shame...

No need for that chubs.

No need for that chubs.

he cant help himself Goat, has to insult, part of his attempts to make up his feelings of inadequacy...but makes him look a bit of a sad case really..

We should feel sorry for him really..

It is always unsettling during these periods of change. There clearly has been some shift in policy or vision which has unsettled the squad. The worst thing for us is it feels like sitting on the outside and seeing it play out with good players leaving and not yet seeing the new squad formed so we are in the worst situation.

The board clearly will not want us to lose our prem place and what goes with it so they will have a plan. Koeman is clearly a key part of it and the fact that he is used to developing young players is going to be a corner stone of this plan.

As supporters there is not much we can do.. We are just going to have to keep our nerve and let this play out. I personally don't give a sh.t what other fans and clubs think.

he cant help himself Goat, has to insult, part of his attempts to make up his feelings of inadequacy...but makes him look a bit of a sad case really..

We should feel sorry for him really..

From one of the worst stalkers/trolls to visit this site, thats really priceless. The others all manage to express an opinion once-in-a-while.

I still think we've made it too easy for players to leave and cannot believe we have not signed replacements and / or players before we let our own leave as well - I bet clubs are quoting us all sorts of silly fees which will be wiping the smug grin off the faces of those involved in selling players for big fees earlier this summer.

Does 'the Board' actually know what they're doing?

Well obviously yes, they're making money, isn't that the aim of all boards. Nigh on 80 million from the PL, 60 odd soon to be 90 odd million in transfer fees, sell a few home made shirts, few STs for another few million. Couple of hundred mill in and far less than half of that out. Club was a gold mine, just needed someone who knew how to turn it into

banknotes.

Shaw yes.

Lallana yes,

Rickie I can just about let him leave for Liverpool.

But all of them at the same time???

Squad players? Other key players??

When has a club ever sold 6/7 of their best players?!? Even if we replace the with quality, it still takes time to become a TEAM.

I love my club, absolutely love it. But right now, what's happening is unacceptable.

You're one of those people that winge about roadworks and that it should be done at night, when 90 % of roadworks are done at night.

Get a grip.

There were two choices.

1) The player wnats to leave so get a very good price for him, inflated even. We are quids in and can replace as well.

2) Make the player stay here. They won't play for us ever again,(literally and figuratively) until their contract runs out and they leave on a free, and IF you make them play, what sort of shift will they put in? AND you will have to replace them as they are playing ****e, so that costs, plus paying two sets of wages. Loss of quite a bit of cash. BUT, we can still say that Lallana and Shaw and Louvren play for us, or should that be they are Southampton players.

Lots of hyperventilating this morning. Let's just see who the replacements are. If they're of the level of Tadic, Rojo, De Vrij...then we're in a decent position.

This.

For me, if we sign no one then we can all march on St. Mary's a la Newcastle when Keegan sold Cole to United and issue our demands...

We were only considering a few weeks back renaming a stand to reflect the Markus Liebherr name. Under the present circumstances why not rename the stadium for the coming season?

How's about

LIEBHERR CASH AND CARRY

Bring your cash and choose your player

Amazing isn't it. I reported that Shaw had held talks with Chelsea months ago and was called a liar despite revealing my source. Mourino is in the press today saying that they ended their interest in Shaw because of his wage demands. Why can't people on this site accept that some of us do have some inside info?

Five years or so from now, the European Super League will be a reality.

United, City, Chelski, Liverpool & Arsenal will be playing the likes of Real, Barcelona, Bayern, PSG etc week in, week out.

The EPL will be at the same level as the SPL is now.

All the Sky money will go to the Super League clubs and the EPL money will dry up.

We will more than likely be a top 4 EPL side, as the money we get from selling our academy products will not only sustain us, but will give us an advantage over the other EPL teams.

All IMHO, of course.

Now everyone is having a go at us

11.40am

Breaking Southampton transfer news!

Arsenal and Liverpool have swooped in for Saints tea lady Dotty.

BtdnkQQIIAAd14j.jpg:small

"We see her as the perfect back-up for our own tea lady," said an Arsenal source.

More as we get it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-rumours-live-chambers-3916149#ixzz38ZuS1Gu6

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Now everyone is having a go at us

11.40am

Breaking Southampton transfer news!

Arsenal and Liverpool have swooped in for Saints tea lady Dotty.

BtdnkQQIIAAd14j.jpg:small

"We see her as the perfect back-up for our own tea lady," said an Arsenal source.

More as we get it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-rumours-live-chambers-3916149#ixzz38ZuS1Gu6

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Yep - we are a joke. No denying it. This is pretty conclusive.

I usually just lurk in the forum but Chambers is a step to far, I'm close to feeling embarrassed to be a Saints supporter. I bought my eldest son a full keepers kit for his birthday at the start of July, which he desperately wanted, but I almost don't want him to wear it now for fear of abuse he could probably get from others :(

We need to acknowledge the fact that our current owners want to run us as a profitable business that they can get a sizable return from, they have no interest in a 'dream', we're not a plaything for a rich man anymore (Markus) who would rather lose money but gain a competitive premier league team to be proud of.

All I can see now is us returning to the championship and churning out slightly better players than average from the academy to sell on to consistently generate profit at the end of the financial year and not to retain, so sad :(

I bought my eldest son a full keepers kit for his birthday at the start of July, which he desperately wanted, but I almost don't want him to wear it now for fear of abuse he could probably get from others :(

If he wears it at SMS he'll prob get sold to Liverpool :(

From one of the worst stalkers/trolls to visit this site, thats really priceless. The others all manage to express an opinion once-in-a-while.

lol...

I have expressed my opinion several times on various subjects but unlike you don`t post it

over and over and over.....and in this case i have given a fair assessment of you, sorry if i hit the nail on the head with my observation.

I truly do feel you are a bit of a sad case..