Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Pressure cooker for all but Chambers now. Lovren gets a bit of a let off because people are now actively targeting Stevie G as a defensive weakness (oh I know it well, Stevie) because he is, and his team mates are evidently intent on sparking the bloke during games. Perhaps they are trying to whack his head back to Liverpool :)

Lallana doesn't look like he's getting any sleep, let alone match fit.

Lambert, I feel sorry for. Rodgers hasn't got the first clue on what he's about, and doesn't know how to use him. If all he's going to do is bang him on when all else fails, then he won't get the best out of him, and they'll still fail.

Problem with the internet is that it is now littered with students writing their boring blogs or badly written "news" articles. They're boring, no idea who reads them, or who has time to read them. Maybe other students.

Agree with this. Too much recycled garbage.

Or

"Agree with THIS! Too much RECYCLED garbage" as the prepubescent headline writers would have it.

Lambert, I feel sorry for. Rodgers hasn't got the first clue on what he's about, and doesn't know how to use him. If all he's going to do is bang him on when all else fails, then he won't get the best out of him, and they'll still fail.

Very much agree.

Lambert is best played as a string puller as per Teddy Sheringham. He's not the best as a target man which there's a danger a bench warmer will be seen as.

It's a shame because, as a bit part player, I think he'll struggle to read double figures (in apps and goals).

I think that too many managers looked at us and thought that the sum of the parts was greater than the whole, when it was very much the other way. I think that we might have been fairly unique in having so many players from L1 come through the squad to where we finished last year. We had some get on the bus in the Champ and a couple more (useful) ones when we got to the PL. But the whole was very much more than the sum of the parts. And that includes the manager who found the squad so malleable.

I think that too many managers looked at us and thought that the sum of the parts was greater than the whole, when it was very much the other way. I think that we might have been fairly unique in having so many players from L1 come through the squad to where we finished last year. We had some get on the bus in the Champ and a couple more (useful) ones when we got to the PL. But the whole was very much more than the sum of the parts. And that includes the manager who found the squad so malleable.

This is so true…...

Very much agree.

Lambert is best played as a string puller as per Teddy Sheringham. He's not the best as a target man which there's a danger a bench warmer will be seen as.

It's a shame because, as a bit part player, I think he'll struggle to read double figures (in apps and goals).

According to DM he will be starting against M'boro in the cup.

Gotta love the Adkinsism, the man is and always will be a Southampton legend.....from the Wirral (definitely not Liverpool ;p)

This and add Woy to the mix ......... but hey were in the money and have a better squad/team than before.

Yes, indeed. They call it team-spirit.

To be fair to Luke, once he gets his chance he will take it and prove LVG to be wrong in pre-judging him.

MU are weak defensively, but that's the CB's they let go and haven't replaced.

Or maybe LVG's stubborn insistance of rigidly sticking to a style of play that seems totally alien to any of the Man U players!!

Although to be fair, he's coming over like a bit of a tit at the moment.

He certainly said the right things after the Leicester debacle, and probably more managers need to do it.

In full view of the public glare, he let the players know in no uncertain terms what he thought of their display.

Some may regard it as bad management to criticise your players in public, but he didn't pull any punches.

Players nowadays are protected and coccooned from criticism by manager who - understandably - are scared that any player on the wrong end of criticism is on the phone to his agent asking for a move.

I think it's only right that players paid vast sums of money should be accountable for their performances and it's a good litmus test of a player's mentality to see how he reacts to a public flogging.

Some will look at themselves and question their performance in an act of self-criticism. These are the one you want as a manager.

You don't want those who react badly to criticism, run to the agent or sulk and point the finger at others.

He certainly said the right things after the Leicester debacle, and probably more managers need to do it.

In full view of the public glare, he let the players know in no uncertain terms what he thought of their display.

Some may regard it as bad management to criticise your players in public, but he didn't pull any punches.

Players nowadays are protected and coccooned from criticism by manager who - understandably - are scared that any player on the wrong end of criticism is on the phone to his agent asking for a move.

I think it's only right that players paid vast sums of money should be accountable for their performances and it's a good litmus test of a player's mentality to see how he reacts to a public flogging.

Some will look at themselves and question their performance in an act of self-criticism. These are the one you want as a manager.

You don't want those who react badly to criticism, run to the agent or sulk and point the finger at others.

Meh, generally, or at least in text books, the better motivating tool is adding intrinsic value to the tasks of those following (players/employees). From what I've seen of LVG he seems to shyte on them regularly and in the open (at least with Luke). While footballers live a pampered life and I wouldn't mind punching a few, a lot of them are in a new system, on a new team, a team that has a new coach. I'd want the players to buy into my new philosophy if I was he and "outing" them may not be the best way.

Meh, generally, or at least in text books, the better motivating tool is adding intrinsic value to the tasks of those following (players/employees). From what I've seen of LVG he seems to shyte on them regularly and in the open (at least with Luke). While footballers live a pampered life and I wouldn't mind punching a few, a lot of them are in a new system, on a new team, a team that has a new coach. I'd want the players to buy into my new philosophy if I was he and "outing" them may not be the best way.

OMG ... is he saying Luke is Gay? Is there a Nandos on Canal Street? Blimey. :rolleyes:

OMG ... is he saying Luke is Gay? Is there a Nandos on Canal Street? Blimey. :rolleyes:

A rolling stone gathers not moss they say. Well one that sits on on the bench, every night his a r se playing video games, and sitting for hours stuffing himself on nandos and burgers certainty does.

All you ever needed to know about Luke's girlfriend, or rather lack of, and THE proof. :)

http://fabwags.com/english-footballer-luke-shaws-girlfriend/

There's clearly something rotten in the state of Denmark. Fully accept what you say about new players, new coach, new philosophy and how perhaps using a softer approach at this early juncture might have a better effect on getting the players onside.

But LVG was clearly livid at the players after the Leicester game. There might have been various reasons for this, but his intimation was that they had shortcomings in their individual performance. Again, that might be linked to their failure or inability to play the way he wanted them to. As the manager he is appointed to get the best out of his players.

How long should it take players of the highest quality (which these guys are, judged on their price tags) to take on a new managerial philosophy? These are supposed to be not only the most technically-gifted players but also the most intelligent, who have played at the top level for some time, so how many sessions does it need on the training ground to instill his philosophy into them?

It doesn't appear to have taken Koeman that long to get players playing his way, so does that mean we have got the better manager?

LVG's criticism of his players for failing to carry out his instructions and play his way suggests they either didn't understand the message or they understood it but didn't implement it, for whatever reason.

He's hardly going to admit the communications problem is down to his part, so he's going to point the finger at the players, and for whatever reason - exasperation, loss of patience, sheer bloody-mindedness - he feels strongly enough about it to vent his feelings in public. He's experienced enough to know when the time is right to sling a metaphorical arm around a shoulder and when to apply the metaphorical boot to a backside.

The reaction of his players will indicate whether he is right to use stick or carrot.

But hey, why should we worry? They're not our problems. Our Dutchman is flying.

Meanwhile, back to defectors.

In other news, a mate who works at the Daily Mail (yes, I know..) told me an interesting snippet today.

Apparently, they had it on good authority that the Lallana deal was effectively wrapped up as early as April.

They couldn't run the story as both clubs would have denied it, but it seems Adam's head and beard were on Merseyside for a while before the end of the season, no doubt thanks to Stevie G's efforts with the plumbing accessories.

'Pool Player ratings. Oh dear......

(FW) Rickie Lambert, 4 -- Poor and ponderous. The sort of performance that kinder souls might call "honest" but which became more painful the longer he stayed on the pitch. It clearly hurts him, but that's not much use to Rodgers right now as a lot of play slowed down or broke down altogether when it reached him. A night to forget.

Watching Lambert at the moment is like visiting an elderly relative, painful. I'd like to remember him in his prime, smashing in Roy of the Rovers goals and encapsulating everything about the wonderful journey we've been on. His beetroot-factory-to-scoring-for-England journey is one of the best football stories for years with SFC at the heart of it. Fair play to him, he has set his family up for life and captained 'his' team, but nowadays I just pay a brief visit and leave with a small tear in my eye.

At the back end of last season, me and a couple of ST holders around me, all thought that RL was getting slower and slower and we worried about him this season (obviously before he left us for Liverpool). So when he left, I really didn't mind and was grateful for all the service he had given to the club. I realise that he offers a lot more than just being a CF, but with JRod off games, and RL being the main man up front, we looked somewhat toothless because he was a little ponderous.

So he moves to Liverpool, and has to fit into their system, which he can't do. Why Rodgers signed him to not play him as he played for us is a mystery. Or rather, it's a mystery why Rodgers signed someone who wouldn't fit his system. I get the impression that that might have been AL's problem as well, but I feel he will fit in OK and others will fit in around him. But RL, it might be put down to it "only" being £4m (or whatever it was) plus wages, and that's that for Rickie. Well, at least he is at his boyhood club and no doubt his contract is rewarding him handsomely.