Saints 0-0 WBA - Post Match Thread

Batman

1) Ward-Prowse and Davis in the same team won't work in these type of games. We need more of a goal threat

2) Long should be playing centrally, not out wide

3) Service to Pelle not good enough

4) Easy to see why we're after a winger

We were poor in the final third today, but the positive is we look a solid unit and have a decent base to work from, despite losing so many players this summer

Need more attacking options to mix it up. Can't remember a decent chance? RK talks about depth.. We have no options at the moment. Flat footed. Can't wait for gaston/j rod to come back and hopefully signing of a winger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tadic when he hit it with the side of his boot?

Edited by farawaysaint

Need some strike power. Sign danny Welbeck who is apparently available and a goal scoring midfieldrr. Always knocked him as he is not always good enough for champions league or world class but would be fantastic edition to our squad.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Yeah Welbeck would be a good addition.

Haven't they already done that though ? We won't get AT without letting them have MS so we won't get him at all. Move on to another target.

Agree - I meant even further, in the sense that what has already been invested is not quite enough. According to various rumors we did try and sign some really great players but it did not come off, so hopefully the intent is still there to get some better (if not great) players in?

That was mega warm in the stadium . As for the game , we do need some more attacking options . We need to get in their box and put their defenders under intense pressure

I don't know if it was the heat today but we did not play high intensity football in the final third . Early days but we did sit back a bit in the last 15 minutes or so.

Firstly apologies to the bloke I was meant to be buying a ticket off. Left my mobile in a taxi last night so have been unable to contact him.

Went to the game anyway and have to say I do worry about us if we play like this the rest of the season. Pelle is terrible, JWP kept giving it away, build up was incredibly slow and we barely troubled foster. We need a right winger fast and someone to inject a bit of urgency into our player. The longer we go without a win, the harder this season is going to be. Worrying performance.

Ffs I like cork but he's not a match winning substitute

We were so **** i think it was more a case of putting him on to help hang on for a point......Yup **** and hanging on to a point at home to West Brom....'Wreck It's' new era....I guess we better start getting used to it.

Haven't watched it but from the result and comments sounds like we STILL need to take a punt on another striker.

Clean sheet for Forster though, well done the defence!

We've spent 21 million on strikers already, wisely or not remains to be seen. Still Krusty said judge us on September 1 so I'm going to do that, after the West Ham game.

Deflated by that performance. Pelle looked like he was playing stuck in the mud. 6ft 4 and barely won a header, if he did it seemed to slice off of his face. Needs to do some yoga or something as you can't be that cumbersome in the Premier League and get away with it. Really hope it works out for him, and realise it is very early days, but a bit concerned if he is meant to he our fulcrum.

Deflated by that performance. Pelle looked like he was playing stuck in the mud. 6ft 4 and barely won a header, if he did it seemed to slice off of his face. Needs to do some yoga or something as you can't be that cumbersome in the Premier League and get away with it. Really hope it works out for him, and realise it is very early days, but a bit concerned if he is meant to he our fulcrum.

A mate texted me to say it was the worst performance from a striker he had seen for Saints in a very long time. Difficult to disagree.

I'm convinced that Billy Sharp would have done a better job than Pelle but that's not an option any more. Not sure about the formation at all.

Message to the baord... How is this considered to be the progress that you've bleated on about?

Two games in, calm down. Also Billy Sharp is **** mate.

Just a bit of a nothing game.

WBA were pretty negative first half but were the better side in the second.

Hoping our players gel with more time together and the ball is moved a lot faster as at times we were painfully slow in moving it about.

Overall first point on the board, Forster looked good, Prowse is liable to see a few cracking set pieces sail in this season.

Blue line and on we go ...

Must admit that I preferred last year"s formula. Still with JRod out for a few more months and no real like for like replacement in view it's not really a surprise.

I look forward to being proved wrong but Pelle was always a bit of a gamble. Scoring a hatful of goals in the Dutch league is a completely different story to playing in the Premiership. So far he just looks like a squad player at best. Someone to come off the bench or play in the early stages of the league cup against lower opposition. Crazy thing is that we had someone like that in Billy Sharp. Pelle looks like he's a Championship striker at best.

As for Long, well, I've made my feelings very clear on here. Not what we need and certainly not for £12m. That said, maybe Koeman should give him a chance up top and stick Pelle on the bench for the next game? I'd love him to start banging them in for us but he isn't going to do that unless he's given a decent run in the side. We've still got a long way to go and a hell of a lot of work to do. A winger is a priority and then somebody who can put the ball in the net. A poacher.

I always think that the first home game is fairly similar nearly every season. Didn't look as though either side was capable of winning....or even scoring a goal.

Hot(ish) afternoon, short of real cohension early season ...and the crowd anticipating a football match that never quite gets going.

Typical when you consider we've had a fairly balanced side for the last two seasons ..and now suddenly ....several of these guys weren't even at the club a month ago. It'll take time.

I tend to ignore the " form " aspect and table positions in the first six games, will get better as soon as we can score goals (whenever that is).

Thought we were awful. Worst I've seen for about 6 years. Forster was good. Pelle awful, tadic tired, Bertrandassive downgrade on shaw. Long was just terrible. Don't see unless j rod does it whose going to score the goals. Very sad that 5 years of building had been dismantled in one summer.

JWP as a no 10 should never happen again.

No point buying Long and playing him right midfield.

Tempo so, so much slower than under Pochettino.

Incoming players just nowhere near the level of those they replaced, although Tadic is a good player.

Pelle was woeful, not helped by tosser fans jeering in his first home game.

Also, to any fans that mocked the idea of Townsend, maybe they can see now why we are crying out for someone that actually carries the ball forward and commits defenders.

Today, we were so easy to defend against. A huge contrast from last season where our movement, tempo and positivity were hard to handle.

Lallana to biggest miss by far, please lets no pretend JWP can do that role, he can't.

JWP as a no 10 should never happen again.

No point buying Long and playing him right midfield.

Tempo so, so much slower than under Pochettino.

Incoming players just nowhere near the level of those they replaced, although Tadic is a good player.

Pelle was woeful, not helped by tosser fans jeering in his first home game.

Also, to any fans that mocked the idea of Townsend, maybe they can see now why we are crying out for someone that actually carries the ball forward and commits defenders.

Today, we were so easy to defend against. A huge contrast from last season where our movement, tempo and positivity were hard to handle.

Lallana to biggest miss by far, please lets no pretend JWP can do that role, he can't.

Surely lambert the biggest miss? Tadic did all right but pelle was shocking.

Thought we were awful. Worst I've seen for about 6 years. Forster was good. Pelle awful, tadic tired, Bertrandassive downgrade on shaw. Long was just terrible. Don't see unless j rod does it whose going to score the goals. Very sad that 5 years of building had been dismantled in one summer.

I thought that the loss of those players over the summer was bad , but it is what the money has been spent on that is really tragic.