Swansea vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

2 teams with a good start to the season. Both playing with confidence but maybe a 4-2 reverse has knocked Swansea a bit? Even so, I predict it's down to the managers. Monk has done well but I think RK with his experience will out think him in a 1-0 away win.

Swansea fans take on Saturday. Seem pretty confident of getting at least a draw which is hardly a surprise given their great start.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/124922/southampton/#34

Think this guy might be a little over confident though. Clearly Gary Monk is a better manager than RK:?

Why the heck would you say that? In what way would a draw at home be a good result?

Do they have a better manager or forward line? (No.) Is their team more settled than ours? (No.) Are they a better team than us? (No.)

3-0 to us.

Apart from Sigurdsson, they haven't been starting with any of their signings - Fernandez, Gomis and Montero have all been mostly subs, so they're not massively different to last season, whilst we are a bit more direct. I can see us going back to the defensive shield as we're away, but them having a load more possession than last season, so

Forster; Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand; Schneiderlin, Wanyama; Tadic, Cork, Davis; Pelle for me.

Subs: Boruc (Will keep listing him until we start naming him again), Gardos, Yoshida, Ward-Prowse, Reed, Long, Mane.

If Mane's clearance comes through I wouldn't be THAT surprised to see him on the wing to play in the space behind their full backs on the break. Will be interesting to see if we set up to play on the counter as I expect we will - last season's jammy 1-0 win had 0-0 all over it until that last minute spawniness from Lambert though, so wouldn't be massively surprised to see us cancel each other out.

Tough call for the lineup. Away from home to Swansea I think we need to be as strong as possible defensively

Forster

Clyne, Fonte, Alderweirald, Bertrand

Wanyama

Cork, Schneiderlin

Tadic, Long

Pelle

Hopefully Mane will be on the bench for impact towards the end. Or possibly start with Davis for a more attacking set up and then bring on Wanyama to settle things if we can get ahead...or Mane if we need a goal.

Tough call for the lineup. Away from home to Swansea I think we need to be as strong as possible defensively

Forster

Clyne, Fonte, Alderweirald, Bertrand

Wanyama

Cork, Schneiderlin

Tadic, Long

Pelle

Hopefully Mane will be on the bench for impact towards the end. Or possibly start with Davis for a more attacking set up and then bring on Wanyama to settle things if we can get ahead...or Mane if we need a goal.

Given his role last Saturday, I think we have to consider that Cork can play as the furthest forward "attacking" central midfielder as well now, he wasn't in position to score by nicking the ball away from Williamson by accident, he'd been up that high all half. You would assume Koeman had this in mind when letting Gaston go on loan to Hull - or that at the least it was a serendipitous discovery in the training sessions after. I'd prefer to think the former. :)

Given his role last Saturday, I think we have to consider that Cork can play as the furthest forward "attacking" central midfielder as well now, he wasn't in position to score by nicking the ball away from Williamson by accident, he'd been up that high all half. You would assume Koeman had this in mind when letting Gaston go on loan to Hull - or that at the least it was a serendipitous discovery in the training sessions after. I'd prefer to think the former. :)

Since his run and cross from the right away to leeds i've thought he could be useful playing further forward.

Last two games there 0-0 and 0-1, both tight cagey matches - but both at the end of the season however! Expect a lot more energy and enthusiasm, go for an entertaining 1-1 draw, hope for 2-1 win. A lot harder than the last 3 matches for us, so be prepared lads!

Since his run and cross from the right away to leeds i've thought he could be useful playing further forward.

Always felt he didn't make it at Chelsea because he didn't develop into a younger version of Lampard quickly enough. Hence loans etc. and eventual sale. Probably always had an eye for goal but never played high enough up the pitch to realise this part of his potential.Between him and MS I'm loving seeing goals from mid-field, something that was seriously lacking under Pochettino. Re Pochettino, Spurs supporting colleagues already frustrated about vast amounts of possession with little end product. Even suggested by one he was AVB Mk2. Bless them!

Swansea in form are the biggest test so far for us this season, much more so than Liverpool in my opinion. If we dispatch them comfortably we will be looking very good for a top 6 attempt. if we lose respectably I would suggest we may not reach new heights but will comfortably scrap for the best of the rest places in 7-10 against swansea, Villa, and one of the ousted top teams (Liverpool or Tottenham is my guess which would also amuse me a lot).

Swansea in form are the biggest test so far for us this season, much more so than Liverpool in my opinion. If we dispatch them comfortably we will be looking very good for a top 6 attempt. if we lose respectably I would suggest we may not reach new heights but will comfortably scrap for the best of the rest places in 7-10 against swansea, Villa, and one of the ousted top teams (Liverpool or Tottenham is my guess which would also amuse me a lot).

That's a lot to predict due to one result!

Koeman presser points

Long is OK, back in training for last 3 days, will be available for sat. No new injuries

Mane WP is done, Will arrive tomorrow. Too close for sat. Will speak with him tomorrow and assess his fitness

Will be part of the squad against arsenal at least

No point being frustrated about Work Permits. he is coming now and we look forward to it. He will be here tomorrow

Positive to use English players where possible. We have lots throughout the club

Victor will play depending on the tactics. He is a controlling midfielder. The others are more offensive

Just depends on tactics and opponents. Very happy to have him he is a very good player

Players have to accept it when they are not picked. it is part of the job

No talks about cork contract at the moment. Will look at it in december maybe january

Not surprised how fans supported morgan brilliantly at the weekend. He is a great player and has been a great player for the club

he has a contract with the club. He is a very good professional. He is happy to be part of the team

We do not know the future. Fans have been good. They support all the players

Bony is known very well from time in Holland. He was very strong. Both Pelle and Bony far too strong for Holland league. Good players for Premier league

Bony is a very good goal scorer and very physical. Not surprised he is doing well

Thought he might have gone in the summer and that benefits swansea. Which is good for them keeping their best players

Nice to see how swansea play. Similar to us. They do lots of work in midfield. Will be an interesting game on saturday

We do practice in in finishing for midfielders with the attackers. Midfielders need to score goals. they need to get between 5-10 goals.

Give freedom to midfielders to be more offensive than last season

too early to even think about the team remaining for top 4 challenge. way too early

more important that we settle after the summer and show good performances and team spirit. we will have down days.

if we play like we know we can, we will win more. we are a good team, good players but we need time

very happy at the moment

Benali has been great. Great charity, So many miles run. We as a club will do more for the charity but we want everybody to be involved.

that is it for the TV presser

Decent Presser again. Strange questions asking about Bony, I could understand if it was how we're going to neutralise his threat but not "are you surprised no one bought him?" Good stuff about Mane, we'll prob see pics of him training early next week, would be nice "impact player" as Nige would put it, against Arsenal next week.

Looking forward to the game, I predict Vic to be starting this one.

Decent Presser again. Strange questions asking about Bony, I could understand if it was how we're going to neutralise his threat but not "are you surprised no one bought him?" Good stuff about Mane, we'll prob see pics of him training early next week, would be nice "impact player" as Nige would put it, against Arsenal next week.

Looking forward to the game, I predict Vic to be starting this one.

From what he said about both us and Swansea wanting to dominate the midfield and Vic being a controlling midfielder, I'd say he'll be in the starting line up. Wonder who will drop out? I guess Cork or Davis.

From what he said about both us and Swansea wanting to dominate the midfield and Vic being a controlling midfielder, I'd say he'll be in the starting line up. Wonder who will drop out? I guess Cork or Davis.

He also said Morgan is a controlling midfielder so expect Cork to drop out, I think Davis plays a better role in that forward position imo.

He could leave out Long' date=' go with Morgan, Vic & Cork in the middle and push Davis out to wide right? That's the beauty now, plenty of strong options in the squad with Jay Rod & Mane still to add in[/quote']

Very much doubt he will leave out Long. Long helsp makes Grazi tick. When Long is not playing Grazi has not been very effective.

Straight talk regarding the midfield situation. As long as Big Vic, Cork etc. know that the manager has faith in them and will pick them when they fit the tactical setup best, they should be less frustrated than if they are just left out regardless of the tactics (like under MoPo)... Should help keep all midfielders on their toes!

I would hold wanyama back to start against arsenal.

I would hold wanyama back to start against arsenal.

Perennial debate - which game is more important; I'd argue the three points v Swansea is, and I would start with Big Vic.
Not really relevant either way - it's not like he's played loads of football over the last few months and is going to be burnt out playing Sat & then Tues.

Away kit I reckon, stripes wouldn't clash too bad but they'd want to wear the away at every opportunity I think

I should think we'll wear all navy against them, whilst they'll wear all white against us even at St Mary's (because their away kit is red/black halves, red/red).