• Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Davis
    • Pelle
    • Mane
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Bertrand

Still massively buzzing today. Decided to become one of those annoying little ****es who play noisy video clips on a busy train (into London) today. Of Clyne's goal of course, with rabid Radio Solent commentary on top

Then got to work to be greeted by Arsenal fans saying, "Do you think you deserved it? Yeah, hmm, well, I supposed you just about shaded it, maybe" :)

Massively enjoyed that.

We were so strong all over the pitch and even coped comfortably in the last 15 minutes when we started defending a bit deeper.

Mane looked exactly what we need, although he'll have to cut out the predictable diving before I completely warm to him. I really can't stand players throwing themselves to the ground theatrically every time someone gets near them. Stay on your feet lad, use your skill and pace to beat them instead.

Would love Fulham away in the next round, and another 5000 Saints fans in London.

Both methods work for Arjen Robben well enough.

How good was that? Great effort by the fans despite the stadium being built to kill atmosphere.

Right tactics, right team, everyone fighting for each other. Mané and Targett were sharp.

Only thing that surprised me was Koeman kept Wanyama on. He drifted well out of the game and we needed the impetus of Long AND Cork

Quoting partly to prove I'm reading through all the posts. Would just say I was pleased Koeman kept Wanyama on because the side needed to defend the lead. Scoring more would have been a bonus but would make no difference to the result so keeping Big Vic in place was IMO the correct decision.

Watching the game on a computer feed I was extremely impressed by the defence, especially in the second half when Arsenal did have a good share of possession. There seemed to be so many blue shirts defending the area that you wondered if we had brought players on without taking anyone off!

As Koeman keeps reminding us, this is football and you can't allow yourself to become over-confident because things can change (as Arsenal discovered last season) but I am so looking forward to Saturday because of the opportunity for a great home performance.

Beware anyone arriving at St Mary's with a bag over his head because it could be the QPR manager.

The first time I have seen Saints this season. Some of the link up play going forward - right up until the 90th minute - was just brilliant. We broke quickly with purpose. Some of the Arsenal dilly-dallying around our box reminded me a bit of Saints last season when we would have a lot of the ball but not enough cutting edge.

A friend of mine got us tickets in the Club Arsenal area so had to keep quiet. One good thing was that we were on the tier above the Saints fans and it was safe to say the 5,000 did the club proud. I've got a couple of photos of the post match celebrations, capturing the whole away end, but I don't know how to post them online.

I have my ticket for White Hart Lane. I'm looking forward to being able to sing and celebrate with the rest of you.

Oo-oh, oo-oh, Dusan Tadic!

What a game.

3. Mane looked like a maverick. Slippery eel who will wind other teams up because he goes down so, so easily. Once we beat that out of him we will have a great asset because he is quick, direct and skillful. One classic in the second half where he beat a man, had the chance to run on towards the box and relieve some pressure and instead did some kind of showboat trick and then just passed backwards. Haha.

Anyone got a video of this. Was a great moment. 'Look boss, I can do this'...!

Well as a Holloway-based Saint who lives surrounded by Gooners, that was fun.

Massive save by Fraser in the first half just after we went 2-1 up. Meant we went into HT with the lead which was so important psychologically.

Not much to add that hasn't already been said about a fantastic team performance but I thought Targett in particular was superb. Strong, confident, assured and just won everything. Looks like we've got another proper player there.

Our fans were brilliant in a ground that just sucks the energy out of crowds, but my god the Arsenal support is poor. The Emirates may be pretty but I would hate to sit in a turgid atmosphere like that week in, week out.

Liverpool at home in the next round please, and smash the twitch on Saturday.

Happy days. COYR.

I remember when you didnt know the teams numbers, the draw was far more exciting then. This goes for the FA cup as well

I remember a certain FA Cup draw in 2010 when all the teams were listed on the side of the SSN graphics. One by one they kept disappearing until there were two left. Saints and Pompey.

Have been impressed by Forster's kicking too. Seems pretty comfortable off either foot and a lot more compentent in that domain than Boruc.

Really?

Seems much less comfortable with the ball at his feet -and more likely to hit it long (admittedly keeping it in play), even when a pass is on.

Really?

Seems much less comfortable with the ball at his feet -and more likely to hit it long (admittedly keeping it in play), even when a pass is on.

Yep. The one thing he won't do is pretend he's something he isn't and mess around with the ball at his feet. He didn't even start playing football until he was 13 so his ability to play on the floor is somewhat limited but as long as he keeps it simple and does the right thing that's fine.

Got back too late to post anything last night, can't believe I've made it to work either.....(not got a voice either..!). But it was a great night, from start to finish. I thought Arsenal underestimated us slightly with their back 4, it was very inexperienced and it did show as Pelle bullied them most of the evening. And when Podolski plays, they're kind of playing with 10 men anyway!

But we nullified any threat they had, they had no real opportunity apart from 1 or 2 in the first 10 mins where they got in between our CB's - but that didn't happen again. The free kick was just a free kick, nothing you could do about that at all and wasn't really deserving on the run of play at that moment.

Our response was terrific though and Mane got us a penalty very quickly, and it was important to put them on the back foot as soon as possible. Mane was terrific throughout I felt, although he was better coming off the left than the right (which is where he started). He tired a little as the 2nd half went on, but overall he was quick, direct, skilful and he worked his arse off. He seems to read the game very well and has a picture of the game throughout, I think he's going to be a little bundle of fun for us to be honest. Totally unpredictable and exciting.

Tadic, predictably scored the penalty. I think he will be something of a cult hero for us. He was tremendous all night, he never stops running, never stops working and is well up for the physical fight (and often comes away with the ball). Some of his movement off the ball is terrific and his little flicks always seem to come off, he seems to have such a good all round game.

Clyne's goal was a stormer, what can you say about that? Touch, hit, BANG. I'm glad to see players having shots like this now, they always seemed a little too scared in the past..i.e it was always easier to play a little pass wide..or back...or sideways, but now we just have players willing to hit it...which is why we're getting more unusual goal scorers. Other than the goal, he gave a defensive masterclass all night as well. He has to be in contention for England in the next squad, although I'm not sure why he'd want to be associated with that shambles.

I expected Arsenal to really press in the 2nd half, but it didn't ever really come - apart from the final 15 mins or so. We kept them at arms length for the majority of that 2nd half and controlled the tempo and midfield area - and the midfield in particular was a quality set-up all evening long. We probably should have got a third if we're honest. And even on the odd occasion they did get through, we had players throwing their body's on the line and Fraser pulling off a great save at the near post.

Fonte and Garos were solid, rock solid. Gardos in particular looks very composed and cultured on the ball, I noticed this during the Swansea game as well. He's got a good touch, he can move the ball well and has a good turn of pace on him. Our CB options are up a level from last year, that's for sure.

Special mention to Matty Targett too, you can see why he is so highly thought of at the club. He's positionally superb, quick off the ground, strong in the tackle. Very composed and does the simple things well. No worries with him being in the team at any stage this season.

Overall it was a great night, one that will live long in the memory for sure. Let's just hope that Saturday isn't a great big damp squib, as they can often be after big results like this one!

What a night to be with fellow fans at the Emirates. I can't recall a more electric away atmosphere. For the first 15 minutes Arsenal were sharp - and truthfuly we weren't getting to the ball first, but they were over confident and the lads fought back superbly after falling behind from a superb free-kick. Tadic's goal was coming and we didn't look back. Mane is going to be one hell of a player this season. We have an awesome three pronged attack now, a solid defence (a special mention for Fonte's captaincy at the back) the best we've ever had, and midfield were well in control. And we held out till the end, unlike previous seasons.

Last night healed years of hurt from cocky Arsenal! Briiliant!

It is only a cup game and Arsenal were under strength. But an excellent performance and great goal from Clyne. Good to be going through!

Under strength? - Arsenal were packed with internationals made to look ordinary by the most in-form team in the Premiership.

Rubbish. We would have beaten their 'best' last night.

And no way was it 'only' a cup game. Both sides were intensely and furiously battling for pride in a full ground. We publicly humiliated them.

Don't repeat the media jibes mate, excusing every team we beat..

Under strength? - Arsenal were packed with internationals made to look ordinary by the most in-form team in the Premiership.

Rubbish. We would have beaten their 'best' last night.

And no way was it 'only' a cup game. Both sides were intensely and furiously battling for pride in a full ground. We publicly humiliated them.

Don't repeat the media jibes mate, excusing every team we beat..

To be fair, I wouldn't say Arsenal played badly either. They were well up for it, but we were so good that we kept them at arms length for most of it. They had world cup finalists in that line-up, so it wan't what I'd say understrength or massively weak. The weakest area was probably the back 4, but we still had to nullify their threat - which we did really well.

Our response was terrific though and Mane got us a penalty very quickly, and it was important to put them on the back foot as soon as possible. Mane was terrific throughout I felt, although he was better coming off the left than the right (which is where he started). He tired a little as the 2nd half went on, but overall he was quick, direct, skilful and he worked his arse off. He seems to read the game very well and has a picture of the game throughout, I think he's going to be a little bundle of fun for us to be honest. Totally unpredictable and exciting.

Tadic, predictably scored the penalty. I think he will be something of a cult hero for us. He was tremendous all night, he never stops running, never stops working and is well up for the physical fight (and often comes away with the ball). Some of his movement off the ball is terrific and his little flicks always seem to come off, he seems to have such a good all round game.

Were any other oldies reminded of Paine and Sydenham by Tadic and Mane?

The first time I have seen Saints this season. Some of the link up play going forward - right up until the 90th minute - was just brilliant. We broke quickly with purpose. Some of the Arsenal dilly-dallying around our box reminded me a bit of Saints last season when we would have a lot of the ball but not enough cutting edge.

A friend of mine got us tickets in the Club Arsenal area so had to keep quiet. One good thing was that we were on the tier above the Saints fans and it was safe to say the 5,000 did the club proud. I've got a couple of photos of the post match celebrations, capturing the whole away end, but I don't know how to post them online.

I have my ticket for White Hart Lane. I'm looking forward to being able to sing and celebrate with the rest of you.

Oo-oh, oo-oh, Dusan Tadic!

You weren't the lone chap directly above us behind the goals revving us up after the match by any chance?

Atmosphere after the game was electric, all you could hear was us chanting Dusan Tadic echoing around the whole arena as we were funelling out onto the concourse.

Don't care who we get in the next round. We will beat them.

Impressed immensely by the Emirates stadium but their fans were so quiet. I thought it was summed up by the half time "entertainment" when some cocky fat kid asked Andy "wont be able to pick my nose" Linighan boring questions to which it was impossible to hear the answers. I reckon that lulled half the Arsenal fans to sleep and they only woke up at the end.

Nothing can beat our half time relay races!!

My MoM is Steven Davis. We controlled the game thanks to the dominance in the middle of the park and he was at the heart of everything good. So composed and assured. Close runner up was Clyne...so solid and a valuable creative channel coming forward.

I'd give it to Tadic but youre right about Davis, the hard work he puts in is immense, if only he could work on os finishing he'd be a star name and get as much love as some of the others, had 2 or 3 chances last night he could and maybe should have scored from

Tadic was immense. He seems to give a shtit, but not keen on the praying business to the ref, I guess a cultural thing. Penalty was ordinary.

Apart from that, HE IS A FIRCKIN FANTASTIC PLAYER AND I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!

He's achingly good. Regards the penalty I thought he waited for the keeper to dive then adjusted his foot at the last second to divert the ball the other way. I could be wrong though.

This is a good point Mr Malvo.

Another good point would be that man in your profession should never underestimate the wrath of a irate postman ...

Having just seen Fargo, I would like our own Lorne Malvo banned on account of not being evil enough. It's another SaintsWeb cultural reference disappointment, sadly.

I'm going with Forster for MOM. Why? Because of the very professional way he milked the clock all second half. He did finally pick up a booking but for me this was well worth it. He killed the game at any chance he had.

Yes I know all top players should be able to do this but for some reason I noticed him doing it better than most last night.

A couple of cracking saves too.

Great atmosphere from the Saints end last night and good result. Predicting Bournemouth next round home at St Mary's. Would Boruc be able to play ?

Apparently yes - Strange decision from Saints IMO

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11492273.Saints_allow_Artur_Boruc_to_become_Capital_One_Cup_tied/?ref=twt&utm_content=Southampton,+Saints,

fulham for a london away, burton albion (never been there)/brighton (close game decent allocation) or Shrewsbury (never been) away please.

Failing that i'll actually take anyone at home. Got a funny feeling we'll end up facing Liverpool in this at some point and part of me thinks that maybe, just maybe that might the final.

I would happily take Shrewsbury away as that would be a round trip of just 30 miles for me!!

I've no idea why I bothered looking it up, considering I live on the other side of the world, but google maps says Bicester is 110 miles from Shrewsbury. I guess it is my fondness of the M40 or that you've moved or that there is a poxy village near Bicester called Shrewsbury.

Really?

Thats what I was meaning. Boruc's kicks went out of play so often, and created pressure on us. Forster much better at clearing a long way, and I don't get so nervous when he has the ball at the back than I did with Boruc.

Really enjoyable night out. Emirates is a superb stadium. Saints fans in good voice. Just amazed how good we are and how quickly RK has generated team spirit. It was also a really good game. Arsenal moved the ball around well, but so did we. And we had the better chances. First time that I have seen Matt Targett and he looked very comfortable. Mane is very quick.

Looking forward to the next round. RK is taking this seriously and using it as a way of building the team