Clyne and Forster called up for England

Batman

As I said before the game - why pick 3 centre backs and a left back against San chuffin Marino??? What has Roy learnt about playing Chambers out of position?

Why play Jags in this game? We know what he brings. If the Chambers selection was about giving him game time then he should have played CB with Cahill.

Good result, poor performance, little learned.. and so it continues.

Saying that 3 centre backs were picked is a little disingenuous. Chambers is a right back, was with us, was with Arsenal when he signed until injuries/sales moved him into the centre. Wenger says that he will be a CB in time, but for now, his primary position is right back.

Chambers and Clyne are to me very different players. Chambers is more a fullback and Clyne a wingback. Woy was asking Chambers to play as a wingback and he sucked. To me, the modern game has much more place for wingbacks and Clyne is good at that and certainly better than Chambers. And frankly, given the opposition, there was no need for fullbacks (or those more suited to be a fullback). Wrong choice and one that shows a certain mentality in the manager. I sometimes now regret that we didn't have Saggy as manager, although no idea how set in his ways he might be.

Saying that 3 centre backs were picked is a little disingenuous. Chambers is a right back, was with us, was with Arsenal when he signed until injuries/sales moved him into the centre. Wenger says that he will be a CB in time, but for now, his primary position is right back.

Come Euro2016 finals Chambers is more likely to be playing centre back for Arsenal than right back. Games against the likes of San Marino should have both eyes firmly on the future, the decision to put Chambers in at right back was not about the future. Playing him at CB would have made much more sense.

Guess I'm just sick of seeing the likes of Smalling, Jones and now Chambers playing right back for England.

I can only think of a couple of potential reasons for not playing Clyne:

1: Niggling fitness issue

2: Roy caved to media pressure to select Clyne and was making a point.

3: Clyne did not impress in training.

It still makes very little sense.

Hodgson's message to Clyne has basically been I'll only pick you for my squad and team, if you really are the absolute last available option out there.

The game was crying out for Clyne to come on and get down the wing behind the defenders, in order to cross the ball. I cannot recall Chambers doing this once. A missed oportunity for Wroy I am afraid.

Chambers went down the wing and crossed at least twice in the time I was watching (I put Slovakia v Spain on when it got interesting) - but his "crosses" didn't get off the ground or past the first defender.

You'd think, having set up camp at St Mary's last season, that Hodgson would have worked out that Chambers is better for defending and Clyne better at going forward, but apparently not.

Of course his get out of jail card is if he played Chambers to keep Clyne fresh for the trickier match against Estonia (everything's relative). But then why pick the "first team" against San Marino if that's the case?

Why is anyone suprised at the choices Hodgson makes? The England football team has been dying a death for about 15 years now.

International breaks are annoying, and all Saints fans value the fortunes of our club way, way above those of England. The same of fans of every other club. In fact, there is a large apathy towards the England team, and I admit at times, I quite like watching some of those players struggle. Would have been pretty funny on one level if somehow we hadn't managed to win last night.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Chambers and Clyne are to me very different players. Chambers is more a fullback and Clyne a wingback. Woy was asking Chambers to play as a wingback and he sucked. To me, the modern game has much more place for wingbacks and Clyne is good at that and certainly better than Chambers. And frankly, given the opposition, there was no need for fullbacks (or those more suited to be a fullback). Wrong choice and one that shows a certain mentality in the manager. I sometimes now regret that we didn't have Saggy as manager, although no idea how set in his ways he might be.

The sooner Wenger gets around to converting Chambers to a defensive midfielder, the better for England. He started in central midfield for Saints, even played there against Stevenage in the League Cup a couple of years back, and he's versatile enough to fill the massive gaping hole that exists in front of the back 4 (which Gerrard was terrible at filling in the World Cup and Milner might be better at - but who could tell against last night's opponents?).

I struggle to understand why you think a bloke who does nothing on the training ground at all at his club (apparently), and tries to buy his way to success, would be a better option for a "high intensity in short bursts over a long period, work with what you have" coaching job like England.

Edited by The9

Why is anyone suprised at the choices Hodgson makes? The England football team has been dying a death for about 15 years now.

International breaks are annoying, and all Saints fans value the fortunes of our club way, way above those of England. The same of fans of every other club. In fact, there is a large apathy towards the England team, and I admit at times, I quite like watching some of those players struggle. Would have been pretty funny on one level if somehow we hadn't managed to win last night.

There may be apathy towards the England team, but there was 55,000 at Wembley last night to see them play San Marino, so plenty of people obviously care and want to see a good England team.

There may be apathy towards the England team, but there was 55,000 at Wembley last night to see them play San Marino, so plenty of people obviously care and want to see a good England team.

that is no evidence that people want to see a good England team.

Wasn't that the lowest competitive Intl attendance for ages? Edit: Competitive att since the new Wembley opened.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2787156/England-record-lowest-Wembley-attendance-5-0-rout-San-Marino.html

I went to the San Marino game 2 years ago and it was pretty tedious. Another part of the problem, way too many pointless games. Our whole group is so dull.

As a product, when compared to something like the PL, or CL, its way behind, partly because of the structure and setup.

That leaves approx 53 million potentially who couldn't give a monkeys (leaving aside our Scottish, Welsh and Irish friends).

Problem with England vs San Marino is that 90k+ want to see a decent San Marino team as well, but we are treated to seeing 10 part-timers and one full professional. I think the Isle of Wight could have given them a decent game (we have more full -time professionals).

That leaves approx 53 million potentially who couldn't give a monkeys (leaving aside our Scottish, Welsh and Irish friends).

Problem with England vs San Marino is that 90k+ want to see a decent San Marino team as well, but we are treated to seeing 10 part-timers and one full professional. I think the Isle of Wight could have given them a decent game (we have more full -time professionals).

How many nations would get more than 55k on a soaking wet Thursday night when playing San Marino?

Chambers had much better games for Saints than he did last night, even silly Adam L can see that he was not magnifique surely?! Feel so sorry for Clyney not getting picked Wroy is a serious muppet, thank goodness for Saints academy for England!!

The amount of bashing Hodgson gets from Saints fans is nothing short of embarrassing.

He's paid to win football matches, and at the moment he's doing that. I struggle to see what mistakes he made?

He called Clyne up for matches against San Marino AND Estonia. 2 RB's and 2 games. Logic says you play one in each to see how they get on, it's only fair.

The only thing to question from last night is why bother playing with full backs against a team that offer nothing going forward.

The amount of bashing Hodgson gets from Saints fans is nothing short of embarrassing.

He's paid to win football matches, and at the moment he's doing that. I struggle to see what mistakes he made?

He called Clyne up for matches against San Marino AND Estonia. 2 RB's and 2 games. Logic says you play one in each to see how they get on, it's only fair.

The only thing to question from last night is why bother playing with full backs against a team that offer nothing going forward.

Clyne won't start against Estonia. If he was going to play either it was San Marino. Hodgson is just doing what a non top Manager would do. Okay with a squad that could do a bit more.

I sort of agree with Abramovich. It's not good enough just to win, you need to win while playing stylish football. He wanted to be entertained by his team. Were you entertained by last night's 5-0 win? I was bored rigid, paid scant attention to the TV (missed Townsend's goal) and was tempted several times to turn over.

My criticism is nothing to do with Saints. I endured a stale World Cup, where he thought we did well, and further stale displays since then. If Clyne/Forster hadn't been in the squad, I doubt I would have watched the game, or at the very least, I would have turned over pretty soon having found the first half incredibly dull.

Fairness and having the 2 RBs play a game each - if anything is embarrassing it's the naivety that there is anything fair about the England team, but I wouldn't go that far. It might turn out that Clyne will be chosen, but if I had to have a gamble, I would say that he won't. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Woy is listening to the press too much (the call for Clyne, and the call for some of the U21s to play for the U21s rather than the national side) but I am beginning to question whether it might be so. Why else have Clyne there, and then when Stones gets injured replace him with the U21 player.

I would agree with you though about the formation against a team offering no threat what so ever. Wingbacks like Clyne would surely have been much better than more defensive fullbacks like Chambers. Which all rather goes against your opinion that Saints fans are embarrassing by bashing Hodgson and that he made no mistakes, as it seems rather justified. While everyone else seems to think Chambers and Wilshere were brilliant, I thought they were shït. Lallana and Ox on the other hand, I thought that they both deserved MotM more than Wilshere. At least they showed something more than the dross the rest served up. But that's just my opinion, which in the scheme of things is very irrelevant.

While everyone else seems to think Chambers and Wilshere were brilliant, I thought they were shït. Lallana and Ox on the other hand, I thought that they both deserved MotM more than Wilshere. At least they showed something more than the dross the rest served up. But that's just my opinion, which in the scheme of things is very irrelevant.
I tend to agee with you. Chambers was OK, no more. Clyne would have carried much more threat going forward out wide and if Hodgson had to play Townsend, then Clyne would have been a more potent weapon overlapping. The whole impetus of the game changed significantly when the Ox came on.

I was amazed that Wilshere got MOTM. He was his usual waste of space self, continually running down blind alleys and failing even to find a way through the part time cobblers, taxi drivers and plumbers of San Marino. Wilshere epitomises the headless chicken type of style over the without frills but effective substance. But if Chambers is not as good as Clyne would have been, we ought to count our blessings that he is considerably better than Glen Johnson will ever be at this stage of his career.

I tend to agee with you. Chambers was OK, no more. Clyne would have carried much more threat going forward out wide and if Hodgson had to play Townsend, then Clyne would have been a more potent weapon overlapping. The whole impetus of the game changed significantly when the Ox came on.

I was amazed that Wilshere got MOTM. He was his usual waste of space self, continually running down blind alleys and failing even to find a way through the part time cobblers, taxi drivers and plumbers of San Marino. Wilshere epitomises the headless chicken type of style over the without frills but effective substance. But if Chambers is not as good as Clyne would have been, we ought to count our blessings that he is considerably better than Glen Johnson will ever be at this stage of his career.

It really has a great deal on who they play for.

Shaw was voted MoM for the u21s

He was all over the place defensively and it was his fault Croatia scored.

Yet Owen Hargreaves kept going on how brilliant shaw was and gave him MoM

Wilshere only got the award after a panic attack by the FA.

Fans were invited to text their nomination and Joe Hart got over 50% of the vote. fearing that the vote might have been rigged (God forbid) they gave it to Wilshere.

I'm surprised the same thing didn't happen at the Clacton by-election.

Agree Adrian

This could or even should be an exciting time for England coming up.

Some really talented young players in the premier league.

U21s doing well

Even below that. All doing well

But roy is just so depressing.

This diamond formation he is now using. A break from 442, granted but wilshere as your DM.... FFS

The only thing I am shocked at is Tyler Blackett not being called up. Thought that would have been a dead cert

Edited by Batman

The sad thing about the national team is that we were told we were going to rebuild with exciting young talent. But we got the same staid, boring play of yesteryear with the same self aggrandisement from the manager.

I would have loved for the manager to come out and say we were going to start from scratch, prob not be overly competitive for several years but in the end we would have something special. Like Germany did. We could all have gone on the journey with pride. But no. Same old, same old.

Hodgons latest rubbish is thishttp://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/11/roy-hodgson-england-estonia-euro-2016-qualifier?CMP=twt_gu

Sounds like he's making excuses for picking players for England that don't play for their clubs, although they are most importantly at 'top clubs'. Thus shutting the door on the likes of Clyne who perform well weekin weekout for the likes of us: "We understand that competition for places at the top clubs is very high and it might be easier for some players to show their worth with England rather than their clubs.”

Shocking. Welcome to Club England.

Brilliant. Guess that means Clyne won't be playing today then. Frankly, the way the national team has been run in past years, I might as well pick up my previous stance, previous to last year, which is complete ambivalence. Last year was of course different, but guess as they have all but buggered off, who cares?

People say it was Gerrard tapping players up, but it probably was Woy telling them they need that big move and it will all be OK if they are warming the bench. Nice one. Does wonders for the league and smaller clubs trying to hold on to their players. Berahino will be next off to a bigger club. Then ours will be off.

God I hate (most aspects of) modern day football.

Hodgons latest rubbish is thishttp://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/11/roy-hodgson-england-estonia-euro-2016-qualifier?CMP=twt_gu

Sounds like he's making excuses for picking players for England that don't play for their clubs, although they are most importantly at 'top clubs'. Thus shutting the door on the likes of Clyne who perform well weekin weekout for the likes of us: "We understand that competition for places at the top clubs is very high and it might be easier for some players to show their worth with England rather than their clubs.”

So not getting into your club side every week because there are better players at that club is more beneficial than playing against these better than England can pick players every week in The Premiership then ?

jesus, if he really believes that then what hope is there for the national side or players outside the so called big clubs to develop ?

They can't all play for the top clubs, especially when they are attracting the biggest names in World football to play for them !!

The guy is a loon.

Why is anybody expecting anything from Hodgson? He's just another retired old codger picking up a few quid for working a couple of days a month in his retirement.

He can feck off if he think he is gonna a Season Ticket, wined and dined and entertained with free flowing fabulous football at SMS every two weeks!!

#twofacedfreeloader