Clyne and Forster called up for England

Batman

well that's another 90 mins.of my life wasted.....

I was almost cheering for the Estonians...down to 10 men (and probably rated over 100 by FIFA) and still it took an unlucky rebound off the post from their goalie to win the game for England.

What a waste of space Jack Wilshere is .....I suppose that now that Man.U aren't the top club anymore we'll have an England side full of Arsenal players (except Rooney) who will stay until he gets to 50 goals.

I was almost cheering for the Estonians...down to 10 men (and probably rated over 100 by FIFA) and still it took an unlucky rebound off the post from their goalie to win the game for England.

What a waste of space Jack Wilshere is .....I suppose that now that Man.U aren't the top club anymore we'll have an England side full of Arsenal players (except Rooney) who will stay until he gets to 50 goals.

Except Wiltshire was our best player...not a lot else on the pitch who would even be considered.

Hodgson's England are an embarrassing pantomime, no method, no skill, no ideas and Chambers over Clyne defies belief. Wilshire and Henderson belong in the lower leagues yet this is our spine? You've got to be Effing kidding. It seems this IS the best Hodgson can do and his limitations are there for all to see and what he serves up is truly b.loody abysmal. It is way, way past the time when he and his cohorts should have been thanked for their services and shown the door.... and don't mention that loud-mouthed clown who sits next to him? Give me strength!

For goodness sake Dyke surely you can find somebody better than this. Nigel Adkins would be a district improvement if you insist on having an Englishman in charge.

As a Saints fan, I'm delighted Clyne never played. For the past 25 years, every single Saints player who has played for England has been signed up by a bigger team. In an ideal world players will realise there is no need to leave Saints if they have England ambitions, however everyone knows that not to be the case and it is more likely for a player to leave after playing for England while at Saints than it is for someone to make their England debut after they have left Saints.

I haven't watched the Norway, San Marino or Estonia games, forgot entirely about all 3 of them! I hate england and want them to fail whilst they insist on this ****.

As a Saints fan, I'm delighted Clyne never played. For the past 25 years, every single Saints player who has played for England has been signed up by a bigger team. In an ideal world players will realise there is no need to leave Saints if they have England ambitions, however everyone knows that not to be the case and it is more likely for a player to leave after playing for England while at Saints than it is for someone to make their England debut after they have left Saints.

Already tapped up .... that was why he was there. Everyone knows he's better than Chambers but he don't play for one of Hodgsons teams.

Every single one? You sure?

Even excluding MLT you're making an odd point.

Those players "get signed up by bigger teams" because they are good enough to play for bigger teams. Them being picked for England is just another obvious effect of being good enough to play for a bigger team.

You seem to be hoping none of our players in the future are ever good enough to ever play for England, which to me seems pretty darn mental to me. I want all our English players to get to that standard.

Lastly, if Clyne leaves it will be for a significant pay rise and the chance to play European, maybe CL football. Getting England recognition just another possible outcome.

I'm am totally mystified by the decision to keep Hodgson. He is one of the most uninspiring men in football who along with Warnock and Southgate looks like an Owl (not sure that is relevant). The future of England football is f*cked whilst we have a useless FA. The argument that we concede a poor national team for a great domestic league is nonsense too. Look at Germany and before them Spain. The whole system needs a complete revamp and the FA could look to us for inspiration.

To compare England with Saints they are at the Saints admin era.

England could have a decent team in a few years time, the problem is what credible England manager is there? Pardew? Redknapp? Arguably the best man for the job is Paul Clement who has never even been a manger. There really isn't an English manager who deserves the job, so we'll have to go foreign which will start all the dinlows off on the England manager should be English crusades again.

England could have a decent team in a few years time, the problem is what credible England manager is there? Pardew? Redknapp? Arguably the best man for the job is Paul Clement who has never even been a manger. There really isn't an English manager who deserves the job, so we'll have to go foreign which will start all the dinlows off on the England manager should be English crusades again.

Although he is not English, the logical England manager given the personnel available is Tony Pullis.

Pearson would be good. Someone people can actually respect. He'd play the best team available too.

I haven't watched an England qualifier for years. Mindless, depressing football whether it was under Capello, McLaren or Hodgson. Who was before them lot? Was probably ****e as well.

Southampton uber alles.

Clement is a good shout, no baggage, no expectation, no allegiance to the establishment and a modern coach. I think Gary Monk should be on the short list as well, his team plays good football, certainly ahead of Southgate, Harry or Fat Sam. A Clement/Monk double act would be the best we could muster IMHO.

Clement is a good shout, no baggage, no expectation, no allegiance to the establishment and a modern coach. I think Gary Monk should be on the short list as well, his team plays good football, certainly ahead of Southgate, Harry or Fat Sam. A Clement/Monk double act would be the best we could muster IMHO.

England job is mainly about man management and what experience has he got? Easy to be an inspiring coach out of spotlight, less so when the media want endless stories (eg space monkey furore) and public expectation are so high.

No solution mind - England have always been the same apart from a handful of great performances whoever was there.

How Hodgson got away with that WC with so little stick is beyond me though.

Every single one? You sure?

Even excluding MLT you're making an odd point.

Those players "get signed up by bigger teams" because they are good enough to play for bigger teams. Them being picked for England is just another obvious effect of being good enough to play for a bigger team.

You seem to be hoping none of our players in the future are ever good enough to ever play for England, which to me seems pretty darn mental to me. I want all our English players to get to that standard.

Lastly, if Clyne leaves it will be for a significant pay rise and the chance to play European, maybe CL football. Getting England recognition just another possible outcome.

I screwed up big saying all. I should have said all bar Matty (and Rodriguez). Anyway here is a list of players who have played for England while at Saints.

Shearer (joined Blackburn)

Flowers (joined Blackburn)

Le Tiss

Bridge (joined Chelsea)

Beattie (joined Everton)

Crouch (joined Liverpool after relegation)

Lambert (joined Liverpool)

Rodriguez

Lallana (joined Liverpool)

Shaw (joined Man U)

How many of those were already on their way before joining England is debatable. All who left joined bigger clubs.

It's nice for players to get the recognition but I have little passion or enthusiasm for England. Ideally I would like to see a return to the culture that players from any club can play for England. However, with Champion's League money, that will never happen.

I would much rather see a great Saints team than a great England team and the easiest way for that to happen is to keep our best players. We will never compete with the big clubs on wages and I do think that at England camps our players get to see first hand what it is like playing for a big club and 'get their head turned' easier. So yes, until wages and champion's league football stop having an impact on player's decisions, I'd rather we didn't get too many into the England team.

I screwed up big saying all. I should have said all bar Matty (and Rodriguez). Anyway here is a list of players who have played for England while at Saints.

Le Tiss

Bridge (joined Chelsea)

Beattie (joined Everton)

Rodriguez

Shaw (joined Man U)

How many of those were already on their way before joining England is debatable. All who left joined bigger clubs.

It's nice for players to get the recognition but I have little passion or enthusiasm for England. Ideally I would like to see a return to the culture that players from any club can play for England. However, with Champion's League money, that will never happen.

I would much rather see a great Saints team than a great England team and the easiest way for that to happen is to keep our best players. We will never compete with the big clubs on wages and I do think that at England camps our players get to see first hand what it is like playing for a big club and 'get their head turned' easier. So yes, until wages and champion's league football stop having an impact on player's decisions, I'd rather we didn't get too many into the England team.

Doesn't your list prove that players from any club can play for England? Certainly Saints players can.

And I repeat my previous point.

All those players went to bigger clubs because they were good enough to play for bigger clubs, and bigger clubs recognised that, and signed them.

Those players getting picked for England is another output of them being good enough. Those players did not move on because they got called up. They moved on because they were good enough to move on.

Three of last year's Saints' team on the pitch - although Lambert just for 10 minutes - and they all got the lowest rating of 5 on the BBC website match report. Are these players going downhill after having left Southampton, and if so, is that a corollary to players who have become better after joining Southampton?

Even if I take my Saints' glasses off, Hodgson's team selection last night wasn't just mistaken, it was stupid. Couldn't see why he had Lambert in the squad since poor old Rickie just warms the bench at Liverpool, but having done so, he should have had him in the starting XI that was lacking a holding player up front. Having Clyne in the squad and not playing him is inexplicable. What was the point of wasting his time if a player bought in from the u-21s who couldn't dislodge Clyne from the Saints' team, was to play ahead of him. As for the keeper, if you aren't going to give your second GK a chance in a comparatively simple fixture, how on earth do you expect him to step in later when he might be up against some world class forwards?

But Hodgson's biggest failing? He couldn't get me, a keen football fan for longer than I care to think, to even be bothered to watch the game or care about the result.

Doesn't your list prove that players from any club can play for England? Certainly Saints players can.

And I repeat my previous point.

All those players went to bigger clubs because they were good enough to play for bigger clubs, and bigger clubs recognised that, and signed them.

Those players getting picked for England is another output of them being good enough. Those players did not move on because they got called up. They moved on because they were good enough to move on.

I never said Saints players couldn't play for England. I simply believe that good Saints players who play for England are more likely to leave or leave sooner than good players who don't play for England. Hence why I'm not bothered if players go 'under the radar'.

I never said Saints players couldn't play for England. I simply believe that good Saints players who play for England are more likely to leave or leave sooner than good players who don't play for England. Hence why I'm not bothered if players go 'under the radar'.

With every single minute of every single match seen by at least three TV cameras, usually many more, and broadcast all around the world, the idea that Saints or any other club can have players that are good enough to play for England but a) don't get picked and b) don't get monitored by bigger clubs is pretty fanciful, basically is not going to happen.

So the only way to get your wish is to ensure we only employ mediocre players no one of any consequence would have any interest in. We could be like Burnley, all under the radar. Wouldn't that be brilliant.

I don't know what everyone else thinks but I thought that Chambers was very ordinary. Poor positional play, could not take on the full back when bombing forward and several wayward passes. I think Clyne should at least been given a half.

What a boring game that was.

I don't know what everyone else thinks but I thought that Chambers was very ordinary. Poor positional play, could not take on the full back when bombing forward and several wayward passes. I think Clyne should at least been given a half.

Loving the vine in this link :lol:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/12/england-fans-fume-at-roy-hodgson-as-calum-chambers-starts-ahead-of-nathaniel-clyne-against-estonia-4902942/

Le Tiss

Bridge (joined Chelsea)

Beattie (joined Everton)

Rodriguez

Shaw (joined Man U)

How many of those were already on their way before joining England is debatable. All who left joined bigger clubs. .

your point is well made, but the majority of these players had the statutory one or two games before leaving us.

AS for the Clyne discussion.

It had been Clyne ahead of sub. Chambers up until the end of last season, Clyne who played so well and scored goals, but Chambers who gets picked JUST because he's now playing for Arsenal.

What other explanation can there be ...? Hardly logic is it Woy ?

He may turn out to be a decent International one day but at the moment he shouldn't get a game. Has been poor in all of his appearances so far. As for Rooney, whatever happened to him. So much promise all those years ago but it has all gone to pot.

As for Rooney, whatever happened to him. So much promise all those years ago but it has all gone to pot.

And in the meantime has racked up 99 international caps. Another couple of seasons and he will probably be our most capped international ever, and yet he has been ordinary to say the least, disappointing if you're being generous, or rubbish if you are being honest. Just shows there are too many internationals these days and too many of them against rubbish opponents. how many times did Shilton or Greaves play against Andorra, San Marino or Liechtenstein?

In light of Raheem being too tired to play, surely there is now an argument against picking players from the 'big' European competition teams.

Forster - Clyne, Chambers, Shawcross, Bertrand - Dyer, Cork, Ward-Prowse - Rodriguez, Carroll, Agbonlahor - 'tis the future!!

As a Saints fan (and certainly not an England fan), I'd rather they weren't called up in the first place and then exposed to tapping up by the players of the so called big five, and Woy.

In light of Raheem being too tired to play, surely there is now an argument against picking players from the 'big' European competition teams.

Forster - Clyne, Chambers, Shawcross, Bertrand - Dyer, Cork, Ward-Prowse - Rodriguez, Carroll, Agbonlahor - 'tis the future!!

Or not chambers, obviously fell foul of my own rules - swap him for Lescott.

QUESTION

Just a hypothetical one really, but CLUB or COUNTRY? Would you rather Southampton win Premier League OR England win Euro and World Cup consecutively?

For me, definitely the former- would love to see my Saints lift the title!