Eljero Elia - Confirmed 6 Month Loan

Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Looking forward to drafting this bro into my all-time Saints alliteration squad!

In goal I'm having FF or KK, defenders include CC and a couple of MMs, I've already got two KKs and an FF in midfield, but am struggling a bit for strikers :(

If only we'd signed Julian Joachim all those years ago.

He sounds exactly what we need, relatively cheap, and ultimately another option off the bench to change things and go at the opposition when needs be. His attitude sounds a bit suspect, but the two Koemans should know enough about his background to make a call on that.

You hadn't heard of this guy before this thread started (nor had I) and yet you've already decided that he's just what we need? :mcinnes:

Skimming through their fanpages, it's all about his attitude. Big ego, not a team-player and off-field antics.

Will be interesting to say the least.

Our squad (let alone Management) won't let him take the **** or he will just end up having to go back to Bremen in May.

He must know he needs to knuckle down to start fulfilling his potential.

At Twente he was considered one of the best Dutch prospects so he obviously has talent.

@SouthamptonFC: Koeman on links with Eljero Elia: "He's one of the players on our list to bring in in January. It's still not done but I'm interested."

@SouthamptonFC: Koeman: "We will need at least one player up front. [Elia] is a good option - I believe in the qualities of the player." #saintsfc

Just putting my cynical hat on for a bit - how many players that have had a career full of attitude and behaviour problems manage to turn their careers around in their late 20s? He's not a young kid anymore and it seems from his time at Bremen he's still been causing difficulties.

Just putting my cynical hat on for a bit - how many players that have had a career full of attitude and behaviour problems manage to turn their careers around in their late 20s? He's not a young kid anymore and it seems from his time at Bremen he's still been causing difficulties.

Arguably RL - not attitude per se but too keen on the booze and going out in his early days. I know what you mean but as a loan its a good move.

Assuming this is not a "sign him in the summer" deal, he only needs to "behave" for 4-5 months. Could be a very shrewd move.

Anelka's move to Bolton comes to mind.

Arguably RL - not attitude per se but too keen on the booze and going out in his early days. I know what you mean but as a loan its a good move.
No, I think RL is qute a good shout in many ways. Was a good interview with him a few months ago, talking about how Pardew told him to "f****g sort himself out", as he wasn't making the most of his talent. Still got the feeling this chap might not be the same type of character though, looking through his career history, he's had plenty of chances to do something with his career.

Should be entertaining nevertheless and there's clearly some talent there. Plus, I can't imagine too many are better set to firstly know enough about him and his background and secondly get him focused than the two Koemans.

Ricky Lambert.

Lads mature rapidly in their late 20s, generally. However those that don't have a bad prognosis for their personalty disorder and outcomes in life. I suspect for instance that Balotelli will be in the latter bracket, although he's only 24. Let's hope Elia is the former. Puncheon seems to have settled down a bit, so there is hope.

The fabled black box should include psychological profiling of targets.

Puncheon is a good one.

Craig Bellamy was always a **** but said his training habits and professionalism increased massively during his career.

Could also say Wayne Rooney has calmed down massively (although not necessarily to the benefit of his football).

Andy Carroll was involved in a lot of silliness off the pitch but you never hear any of it now, although he is younger.

There are always some that never do though: Ravel Morrison will probably be one of those.