Eljero Elia - Confirmed 6 Month Loan

Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Yes. How long will he be sent home for not meeting Saints high standards expected of our players?

I sincerely hope that he will prove a good signing, but we don't want a prolongation of an Osvaldo situation.

Well lets give the bloke a chance first shall we? if he can't get his act together no problem that's the advantage of loans.

Also, his name sounds a little like "al jazeera". That's got to go against him before he kicks a ball for us.

It worries me that the last 3 letters of his name are an anagram of "Ali". Does he come recommended by his cousin?

He may be liked if he claps the supporters in all four corners of the ground, even if he is a waste of space.

Very happy. We need more attacking options and the guy clearly has tones of ability. Feel that Koeman is the sort of manager that can give sort a players head out. Fingers crossed he can pull it off. It's never a bad thing signing a international and it's certainly not a bad thing signing a Dutch one.

Only the very best wingers are consistent. Very experienced player, quick, bit of a loose cannon by the sounds of it.

Makes total sense as a loan and we will take it from there. Glad to have him on the bus.

Yeah, but don't let him behind the wheel :eek:

Seems he's a cross between Balotelli, Osvaldo and Anelka. A lot of dressing room and off field troubles. He's homophobic, supports racist groups and doesn't mix well with team colleagues. Hence 6 clubs in 10 years.

I thought we did our homework on their character and background before we sign players?

Signed to fit into our system as the LW player that takes the defence on. We'll now have the depth to go 4-4-2 if Koeman wants to.

- - - - - Pelle/Long/Jrod - - - - -

Mane/Elia - - - - - - - - Tadic/JWP

- - - Morgan/Vic/Davis/Cork - - -

I'd prefer Tadic on the left but that's not happening. I think Long prefers playing up front so better for him. Conventional 4-3-3 in tough games with all 3 of Morgan/Vic/Davis but we can play a more attacking lineup at home.

Looks a good signing to replace Mane at the Africa Cup o' Nations.

Question will be whether Koeman can tame him and whether he's prepared to fight for a place (and of course not fight Fonte!)

The new Oswaldo? I doubt it... international pedigree, speed and experience. A good signing and statement of intent methinks.

Regardless, we now have an impact sub (be it Tadic, Mane or Elia)..... but we still need a clinical striker this January.

That is my concern. Our these type of characters ever tamable?.

No, but it isn't a question of whether you can tame a character like that, it's a question of whether you can get the most out of them on the field. You can't change a person from football training. You can only try and hope that they enjoy their football to make a contribution that doesn't come at the expense of other elements of management around team spirit and togetherness. It's 50/50 whether or not it happens but in football talent always gives you another chance. Always.

Pretty positive about this to be fair - low risk and everything to be gained for both player and club. I guess that if things look really bad for him we can cancel the loan and send him back pronto? If his Utube vid is anything to go by, he could be just the type of tricky fast paced attacker we're crying out for.

Seems he's a cross between Balotelli, Osvaldo and Anelka. A lot of dressing room and off field troubles. He's homophobic, supports racist groups and doesn't mix well with team colleagues. Hence 6 clubs in 10 years.

I thought we did our homework on their character and background before we sign players?

Is any of this substantiated, because there doesn't seem to be much online about it?

Pretty positive about this to be fair - low risk and everything to be gained for both player and club. I guess that if things look really bad for him we can cancel the loan and send him back pronto? If his Utube vid is anything to go by, he could be just the type of tricky fast paced attacker we're crying out for.

Like the fact while he prefers to come in on his right foot, his pace means he can go the other way too which is what would make mane more productive

Im Dutch and have seen him played a lot of times, he has a lot of potential but but he has to keep his head on straight. I think RK can keep him in line and he can be a very good signing.

But he had problems with driving in the right lane, let's hope he can drive in the left lane.

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraaf.nl%2Ftelesport%2Fvoetbal%2Fbuitenlands%2F21550362%2F__Elia__Ik_ben_aangereden__.html&ei=Y-yaVJeRE4b3O4LBgaAK&psig=AFQjCNHIvmUdOmPohoeaDwpeL47SsAYUpA&ust=1419525599826799

Good point.
I thought that the club had stated that he'd be formally signed on the 3rd of Jan. That's the Saturday before the Ipswich game, I'm not sure if the paperwork can be sorted in time for him to play the next day, possibly.

I'd assume he'll be training with the squad from after Friday's game, would make sense.

Can you actually substantiate any of this?